PDA

View Full Version : Scars of Dracula (spoilers?)

jae
09-03-2001, 05:52 PM
Scars is an interesting entry into the series. What with Dracula stabbing people to death and torturing his servants with red hot swords. I also found it odd that it contained some comedy early on that I don't remember seeing in any of the other movies.

I thought it had alot going for it (besides the video on the DVD being GREAT), I found it interesting that Dracula's coffin is kept in a small room without a door that can only be accessed by a window 100 feet or so up from the ocean for his protection.

The scene of Dracula climbing the wall of his castle!!

The movie looks terrific, and I think castle Dracula is more visually interesting than ever before with a slight blackened and burned appearance and the blood red curtains, candles etc. Theres 1 shot in the room where he keeps his coffin where the camera is positioned behind the coffin looking out the window to the mountains on the horizon across the ocean, with the young hero trapped inside, really nicely composed scene. Nicely lit and claustrophobic.

Question: Why bother with a Dracula resurrection scene at all? I thought it was kinda silly to have a large bat drooling blood onto his ashes. The movie doesn't take up where Taste left off so why not just start the movie with him alive in his castle?

I liked it, though I admit I've not seen a Hammer Dracula that I didn't like. Now the last one I need to see is Dracula AD 1972.

What do you think about the movie?

Yowie
09-03-2001, 10:15 PM
I haven't seen the DVD yet, but I guess I better get it soon before it goes out of print with that extra disc. I like watching "Scars..." too, but it's probably the one I like the least of all of them. I think the sets have a somewhat cheap, almost cardboard look, but at least we get to see a lot of Castle Dracula. Yes, it's a neat touch to have Dracula sleep in that one-window room, and it's quite effective in the creepy department. Who knows, maybe I'll feel differently when I finally get to see the DVD. Still, it has its moments. His vampire bride is a knock-out !. Wow, best looking of them all. The humor & sex aspect is a little out of place in a Dracula movie, almost giving it a "Carry On" feel. Wasn't Dracula's servant in "Prince Of..." also called Klove ?. Well, it's clearly not the same servant. I also think they did a lousy job on the wigs, and the "great finale" certainly could've been better too. A movie so bad it's good, you might say. "Satanic Rites..." is the other Hammer Dracula I don't care too much for. That one looks like an episode of "The Avengers", or something. But again, I enjoy watching it. However, I absolutely love "A.D. 72". I hope Anchor Bay or Warner or whoever, gets around to releasing it soon. -Apart from "Horror Of..." and "Prince Of...", this is the scariest of Lee's Count Draculas. Watch the opening scene, and his final battle with Van Helsing; I've never seen a creepier Count. -There's an almost green glow to him. And Cushing is superb as always. In Germany "A.D. 72" for some reason is considered more of a comedy sporting the misleading title "Dracula Jagt Mini-Madchen", loosly translated into "Dracula Hunts Mini-Chicks" !. I never saw it as a comedy, but as a very eerie movie. I adore it !. I worship it !.

mutleyhyde
09-04-2001, 01:51 AM
Yeah, I can't say much more than you guys already have. The castle-wall skittering, the Carpatian landscape shot through Dracula's sleep chamber, the excessive, very out of place cuelty that Dracula sinks to (I always though of Drac as more regal that sadistic, but then again, I dig it. It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the series. Quite shocking though.) The comedy, yeah, I can do without it, but the flesh... holy mamma! There are some sweeeet babes in this one, and Hammer, true to form, shows them off well. As for the resurrection scene, it's in there because it must be. By this point in the series, it was expected, and half the public would go to the films for the resurrection and inevitable death scenes alone. Hammer would have outraged many fans and lost a lot of money had they made a Dracula film without both of these elements. It's simple... Bond gets the girl and saves the day; Drac gets resurrected only to get killed, er, destroyed again. That's just how it is. Don't fuck with the space/time continuum man! *snicker*:D

p.s. I like the blood-barfing bat. :(

skinnypuppy6
09-04-2001, 02:15 AM
yeah scars kickes ass!! i guess dracula is tired of being reserected and killed so many times thats why he's so pissed :mad:

mutleyhyde
09-04-2001, 02:58 AM
Good point SicklyPup! Damn, we need a laughing smiley!