PDA

View Full Version : Keep on Waiting

rhett
01-14-2005, 01:47 PM
After Michael Mann's The Keep failed to make its proposed DVD release date of November 30th, there was much speculation that Paramount had cancelled the title. Now, after nearly two months of waiting, things looked even worse for this title. After contacting Paramount however, they made clear that The Keep will still be coming on DVD, although they still have no release date. What is holding it up is director Michael Mann, with whom Paramount is eager to work on the DVD. Paramount declined to indicate whether they would be working with Mann on the transfering of the film, or on supplemental content as well. Regardless, as soon as Michael Mann's schedule clears up - and it is pretty busy with all of Collateral's intense award push and all this Miami Vice remake news - they will finally get to The Keep. Just what exactly will be on the disc is the bigger question.

MrVess
01-15-2005, 12:37 AM
It may actually be for the better. The initially announced edition was supposed to be completely bare, with perhaps a trailer and nothing more. Hopefully the new one is going to have something more - the three alternate endings and the contemporary "making of" video would be a necessity...

I would not expect a commentary - I believe the one for "Manhunter" is still the only one that Michael Mann recorded - but a short interview would not be too much to ask... It would be interesting to have Wilson's take recorded as an interview, too - although I know it very well, and obviously I agree with him: Mann's "Keep" _is_ an extremely flawed adaptation. However, it is a magnificent and memorably ambient picture, too.

rhett
01-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Actually, Mann also recorded a commentary for his stellar first film, THIEF. I just finished talking to Paramount again, and they stated that they will be working with Mann not only on the transfer but also on extras, so there should be some good material included on the disc. I'd expect something like what they did with their Bogdanovich discs: a short little director interview/introduction and a commentary.

Katatonia
01-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Eh, crap. Oh well, hopefully the longer wait will be worth it.

Damed
01-16-2005, 05:30 PM
This is good news. I've been waiting a long time for this title, and I'd rather wait longer for a decent release than have a barebones disc now.

frightfan
01-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I agree with Damed here... better to wait for something to sink our teeth into than just get the straight movie-only release.

I loved the book, and I find that the movie, although not faithful to it, is still a good "movie" on it's own.

indiephantom
02-21-2005, 12:14 AM
the only Mann film I've never seen. I might be looking to rent a copy soon.

Damed
05-29-2006, 08:14 PM
anyone hear any more on this one?

Shannafey
05-30-2006, 02:00 AM
If anyone is interested, I found a VHS copy of it and transferred it to DVD-R. I already sold the VHS on Ebay.

MrVess
05-30-2006, 03:31 PM
A high quality, widescreen laserdisc-to-DVDR transfer is torrented in many places.

UncleChris
12-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Anyone hear anything new on this? With all the absolute garbage that has been released on DVD, it is unbelieveable that this still sits in the vault...

UncleChris
02-20-2007, 03:03 AM
So.... Is there someplace we can write to.... can we get some sort of letter writing campaign going. It absolutely sucks that they won't release this!!!

UncleChris
09-17-2007, 02:40 AM
Bump!

Any inside scoops? I can't find any news on the net.....

Katatonia
09-17-2007, 06:15 AM
I wish! Paramount need to get off their asses and release this and Student Bodies.

fceurich39
09-17-2007, 06:12 PM
I wish! Paramount need to get off their asses and release this and Student Bodies.

i would also like to see phase IV on dvd as well and my bloody valentine uncut but i doubt that one will ever come out

UncleChris
11-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Sweet, weepin' gee-a-zuz... It's been 2 years since the "proposed DVD release date," and still nada!

Who's cage can we rattle to help get this thing rolling? There must be something we can do.... petition, obscene phone calls, whining, crying, SOMETHING!!!!

UncleChris
03-31-2008, 05:19 AM
Still nothing on this.... AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Mattapooh
04-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Man, am I ever glad I got on the laserdisc-to-DVDR thing for this, otherwise I'd be going nuts waiting.

geeare
04-01-2008, 05:03 PM
now that they are exclusive blu-ray perhaps they are waiting to clean up the transfer for HD. We can only hope.

MrVess
04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Man, am I ever glad I got on the laserdisc-to-DVDR thing for this, otherwise I'd be going nuts waiting.

Look around again... a new satellite TV version has been floating out there now for a few months, with audio taken from the laserdisc. The image is much better than in the laserdisc rip. :)

I was initially excited about the news when it hit in 2004 or so, but I'm not any longer. Mann has essentially disowned the film, Wilson can't stand it, and nobody except for the fans seems interested in it, so it's unlikely that the official release would have any featurettes, not to mention a commentary or the fabled alternate ending. The best it could probably offer would be good quality. And... that is already available, so to say.

UncleChris
12-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I waited about a million years for them to release "Cannery Row," and it's finally happening in January.... Perhaps perseverance will pay off for "The Keep" as well. I've got a laserdisc rip and am not very happy with it. A Bluray with the extra material would be fantastic.

In spite of all the idiotic squabbles, can't these clowns figure out that they would absolutely make considerable green by releasing this film?????? I mean, geeeeeeezzzz, Lou-eeze!!!!!

UncleChris
05-05-2009, 01:47 AM
Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock.....

Gahhhhhhhh!!!!! Some of the worst movies in the world being released on BluRay, and we can't even get this classic out on normal DVD. C'mon, Mann!!! Lose your friggin' ego (or whatever your problem is), and release this movie in some form or another: Give a lot of viewers what they crave, and make a lot of money in the process. I mean, DUH!!!! Wake up, boy!!:mad:

Vlachio
05-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I love this movie big time. I got the WS Laserdisc too. Great movie with a trippy atmosphere. This film is a hidden gem, love it.

UncleChris
05-25-2009, 04:49 AM
Maybe this will help.... Here's an on line petition to get this baby released....

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/release-michael-mann-s-the-keep-on-dvd.html

The Chaostar
05-25-2009, 07:42 AM
"Written and directed by Michael Mann(LAST OF THE MOHICANS, THE INSIDER, ALI, HEAT, MANHUNTER) creates a good flick called THE KEEP"

Sorry, I can't sign such a badly written text, even though I want the film out...

rhett
05-25-2009, 08:07 AM
I still can't believe this hasn't been released. It's becoming the DVD vaporware equivalent to Duke Nukem Forever. I don't see Paramount folding anytime soon, though. ;)

MrVess
05-25-2009, 10:31 PM
It will have been worth the wait. If the originally planned extras are really going to be included, you can look forward to an Interactive Menu, Chapter Selection and supposedly even a Theatrical Trailer.

rhett
05-26-2009, 12:06 AM
It will have been worth the wait. If the originally planned extras are really going to be included, you can look forward to an Interactive Menu, Chapter Selection and supposedly even a Theatrical Trailer.

Fingers crossed for a P&S version on Side B.

UncleChris
08-19-2011, 04:39 AM
It's been over 2 years since a post here..... Is there even a shred of news (good or bad) about releasing this movie????

Mutilated Prey
08-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Stiiiiiiiiiiill WAITING....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOOhfS1hZVo

Darga
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I just re-read the book a few months ago because I was tired of waiting for the DVD.

UncleChris
01-17-2012, 04:38 AM
Well, well, well.... We've officially been chatting about this for over 7 years now and nothing has changed. GAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! How frustrating. When I look around at some of the absolute TRASH that has been released onto DVD and Bluray, I absolutely rage at the idea that this film, particularly an extended version, sits in a vault somewhere because Michael Mann is a major dork.

I guess I'll go watch the laser disc version again.... It's better than nothing, I guess.

"Where there's life, there's hope...." I'm beginning to wonder about that.... :<(

CPT HOOK
01-17-2012, 06:48 AM
I want a DVD and blu-ray too. But in the meantime, I'm pretty sure it is available streaming in HD on Netflix. At least it is out there.