PDA

View Full Version : The Grudge: Remake or Original?

rhett
02-01-2005, 05:42 AM
With the successful American remake, THE GRUDGE, hitting DVD shelves soon, its time to assess which is better, the original or the remake. Both have the same basic story and director, so it ultimately seems to boil down to personal preference. So which will it be?

Deaddevilman
02-01-2005, 05:54 AM
The Japanese in me likes the original. The Yankee in me likes the remake. Hope that makes sense.

KamuiX
02-01-2005, 08:02 AM
I clicked The Grudge, although I wanted to click Ju-On: The Grudge. To tell you the truth, I prefer the original video version, Ju-On: The Curse, over all the rest. It's what I saw first, and it's what I felt was the creepiest. And besides Ju-On: The Grudge 2, the rest of them are just the same thing over and over again.

John Gargo
02-01-2005, 11:22 AM
THE GRUDGE was absolutely awful... they simplified the story, took out some of the scariest plot threads, and ruined the original's best scare scene. However, the remake DOES have Bill Pullman...

JU-ON easily takes it.

b0nkers
02-01-2005, 11:42 AM
jap version was more spooky but was harder to follow. seemed all over the place - i still vote JU ON

Ash28M
02-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Where i thought it was pretty close between Ringu and The Ring. This one is Easily the Original. The plots were pretty similiar but the "scary" parts in the original were actually "scary".

fceurich39
02-01-2005, 04:35 PM
The Remake

Mok
02-01-2005, 04:42 PM
I picked Ju-On, but all you guys should really check out the Japanese sequel Ju-On 2 - I liked that better than both of them.

LJMurder
02-01-2005, 04:48 PM
i second that. You should all see the sequel. There is nothing better than seeing it in a theater full of terrified japanese school girls (which was almost the entire audience when i saw it in the kabukicho area of shinjuku). I also enjoyed this one better than any of the others. I'd say it's the best one so far.

Silent Noize
02-01-2005, 05:19 PM
neither.

Deaddevilman
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
i second that. You should all see the sequel. There is nothing better than seeing it in a theater full of terrified japanese school girls (which was almost the entire audience when i saw it in the kabukicho area of shinjuku). I also enjoyed this one better than any of the others. I'd say it's the best one so far.

Kabukicho and lot's of school girls. You sure you were there watching a movie? :)

Katatonia
02-01-2005, 07:04 PM
I didn't care for the Japanese original...the Hollywood remake was decent, but nothing great.

cryptorchid
02-01-2005, 07:47 PM
The grudge.. The Ring... all garbage. That shit should have stayed in Japan where it belonged. America has enough shitty movies as it is.

Bobbywoodhogan
02-01-2005, 07:51 PM
I haven't seen the japenses original but I've been told it is so much better, I have seen the remake however and I thought it was sh!te. Sam Raimi has dropped the ball.

Paff
02-01-2005, 08:09 PM
The original. I'm taking a personal stand against these new remakes.

Although I agree, the Japanese sequel is really good.

John Gargo
02-01-2005, 09:13 PM
I loved JU-ON 2... some of the scenes rivaled, and in one case surpassed, the best shocks in the original.

onebyone
02-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Ju-On: The Grudge is the best one. However, I still really like the remake.

maskull
02-02-2005, 05:53 AM
i picked the original. both were pretty good but i prefer originals over remakes. this time the original was just a tad creepier.

eric_angelus
02-02-2005, 05:55 AM
I voted for the original...simply because it is just that...original...I saw it first and it scared me more. I love the remake as well though. Just finished watching it.

fceurich39
02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
i liked the remake i watched it last night pretty good

life_o_petey
02-02-2005, 05:40 PM
they both suck something awful, but if i had to pick, i'd say the original. It was at least decent for a little while.

shift
02-02-2005, 06:20 PM
I jumped more on THE GRUDGE. so the US version I likeY more.

Semerrill
02-02-2005, 06:25 PM
the original

Myron Breck
02-02-2005, 08:56 PM
I quite watching the Japanese version about 45 minutes into it....not sure why, just got bored. Maybe because (sorry if this sounds bad) all of the characters bled together. I guess if I watched more Asian cinema I'd be able to tell one from the other, but they all looked and acted alike to me and non of the performances were engaging enough to hold my interest.
At least the US version had the wonderful Grace Zabriskie. She plays crazy better than anyone!
Concerning both versions: I'm sorry but there's NOTHING scary about a frail, naked Japanese kid. Even if he does sound like a cat.

I take it back. They both sucked. LOL. I guess I'll check out the sequel though since everyone seems to agree that it is an improvement.

zombee
02-03-2005, 02:29 AM
only saw the original, and wasn't very impressed, so I didn't vote.

Killdozer
02-03-2005, 05:01 PM
It's a tough call.

Ju-On is a terrible movie. It's bankrupt in almost every aspect of its narrative. It's unfocused, meandering, and amateurish in the way it tells its story and the way it presents its characters. We care about nothing, we are concerned about no one, and we are intentionally ditched by the plot. The Grudge, however, attempts to flesh out the characters, eliminates the retarded three schoolgirls subplot (the worst part about the first film), and shows us some, but not all, of the details behind the ghosts and why they're so pissed off. It's a better told story.

But, in all honesty, I still voted for Ju-On. Why? Because despite its pathetic attempts at storytelling (something I honestly think the majority of Japanese filmmakers, live-action and otherwise, are awful at doing), it's just simply more frightening. And I do mean frightening. Ju-On scared the fuck out of me, and still does. The Grudge is still a very scary film, but it's just not on the level of Ju-On in terms of sheer terror and creepitude. Shimizu should stick to directing, and leave the writing up to someone who can actually craft an engaging narrative.

This is a slightly different reaction for me than with Ringu and The Ring. I thought that The Ring was a beautiful story and a masterfully crafted piece of horror cinema. It's wonderfully written and acted, and it just looks spectacular. Ringu, however, is a piss-poorly crafted piece of dogshit cinema. It's a half-hour shorter than The Ring, but it feels like it's longer by at least a day or two. But I have to give credit where credit is due and thank Ringu for giving a talented filmmaker like Gore Verbinski a good idea to work with, so that an infinitely superior film could be born of it.

Thus ends my rant.

tobaccoman
02-03-2005, 05:27 PM
I voted on the original, but I really like them about the same. Ju-On is creepier and it is the original, but The Grudge definitely makes more sense of the story. I haven't seen any of the sequels or made for television movies so I can't judge on those, but I'm guessing they are all at or around the same level of decency. Not a huge fan of this series, but it's all right.

CasEjonz
02-04-2005, 11:08 PM
By far the original is better even though the US one has a larger budget. I liked the anthology format that Shimizu did with the girls in the Japanese release.

Jimbo
02-04-2005, 11:39 PM
I have not seen the origianl.But if it is any indication of the remake i dont want to see it.The onlything that saved this movie for me was a little bit of eye candy.That is Sarah Michelle Gellar.And even she has looked much better elsewere.

Anthropophagus
02-05-2005, 01:48 AM
Thought the The Grudge sucked, contrived and plodding, an overrated waste of time and money. Buffy is annoying and can't act her way out of a paper bag.

allmessedup
02-07-2005, 01:07 AM
I've only seen the remake and it had some decent scares. I tend to agree with Killdozer about RINGU vs. THE RING, so I may end up liking the remake better. I just saw the remake last night, so it will probably be a while before I get around to renting the original.

MorallySound
02-07-2005, 02:26 AM
I haven't seen Ju-on: The Grudge or The Grudge, and I never will. And just so you know, Ju-on: The Grudge isn't even the original. It too is a remake.

Here's the order and histort of the 'Ju-on' remakes and their deprevity:

Ju-on (original) (2000)
Ju-on: The Grudge (bigger budget Jap remake) (2003)
The Grudge (Hollywood remake set in Japan, with America actors) (2004)

And there are also sequels to both the original Ju-on and to the first remake, Ju-on: The Grudge:

Ju-on 2 (2000)
Ju-on: The Grudge 2 (2003)

Also, these 'sequels' are basically extended versions of the originals. And all of these movies are directed by the same guy, Takashi Shimizu. Talk about pathetic.

Deaddevilman
02-07-2005, 02:49 AM
Talk about pathetic.

Huh? I sure would like to have his pathetic bank account.

Mok
02-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Talk about pathetic.

Why is it pathetic? Is it because he keeps making the same film? Kinda like the Evil Dead thing. :hum:

You should check out the Japanese version, the more recent one. Then you can say if it's pathetic because you thought the film sucked. :)

Deaddevilman
02-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Why is it pathetic? Is it because he keeps making the same film? Kinda like the Evil Dead thing. :hum:

He shoots... he scores!!!

Luna
02-10-2005, 11:56 PM
I just saw the remake last night at the dollar theater and enjoyed it well enough. It doesn't top the Japanese one for me, though the main background story of the of the actual "grudge" is more interesting to me in the remake. I could believe the ghost stuff but I had a harder time suspending disbelief about there being so many American social workers in Tokyo. :D

Deaddevilman
02-11-2005, 12:19 AM
I could believe the ghost stuff but I had a harder time suspending disbelief about there being so many American social workers in Tokyo. :D

You're right on the money there! They could have least got Michelle Yeoh, at least that would have been a bit more believable. For anyone interested... Japan does not allow foriegn nurses to practice there. There is a serioius shortage of nurses and tons of Flip nurses there but they would rather hire them as maids instead of nurses. Go figure.

BloodMan
02-11-2005, 12:31 AM
The original... that american one was too dummied down and shit. It was ok but nothing great. Original film all the way on this one. :)

Deus Ex Machina
02-11-2005, 12:32 AM
I haven't seen Ju-on: The Grudge or The Grudge, and I never will. And just so you know, Ju-on: The Grudge isn't even the original. It too is a remake.

Here's the order and histort of the 'Ju-on' remakes and their deprevity:

Ju-on (original) (2000)
Ju-on: The Grudge (bigger budget Jap remake) (2003)
The Grudge (Hollywood remake set in Japan, with America actors) (2004)

And there are also sequels to both the original Ju-on and to the first remake, Ju-on: The Grudge:

Ju-on 2 (2000)
Ju-on: The Grudge 2 (2003)

Also, these 'sequels' are basically extended versions of the originals. And all of these movies are directed by the same guy, Takashi Shimizu. Talk about pathetic.

well Ju-on and Ju-on 2 are essentially one movie split in two (with the end of one being the beginning of the other) and Ju-on: The Grudge works as a sequel to the first two movies. There are story threads in the TV movies that are picked up in the theatical films.

The Grudge (american film now) works as an omni-remake covering elements of all four Ju-on films.

...so basically Ju-on: The Grudge is not a remake of Ju-on

Surnom
02-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Just watched The Grudge last night, but never saw any of it asian inspiration... But I got to say that I was very disappointed by the movie. I've heard so much about how scary it was, but I was yawning from start to finish (now my mouth hurts). Now I know lots of people here didn't like that other japanes remake The Ring, but at least that one gave me some scares, real ones and not only little jump here and there. I wonder if after that crappy movie I really want to see the original...

Guyver99
02-18-2005, 08:55 PM
They could have least got Michelle Yeoh, at least that would have been a bit more believable. For anyone interested... Japan does not allow foreign nurses to practice there.

Well, Michelle Yeoh is Chinese...and the Japanese probably dislike the Chinese just as much as Americans given their history. :hum:

Deaddevilman
02-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Well, Michelle Yeoh is Chinese...and the Japanese probably dislike the Chinese just as much as Americans given their history. :hum:

Yes... that's why Jackie Chan is a superstar in Japan :rolleyes:

Deus Ex Machina
02-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Yes... that's why Jackie Chan is a superstar in Japan :rolleyes:

Jackie Chan is a superstar everywhere

Deaddevilman
02-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Jackie Chan is a superstar everywhere

Like it or not... he's not in the US. Oh he's popular here, but no where as near as he is in Asia.

Guyver99
02-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Jackie Chan is an exception...the guy's movies aren't exactly plot heavy. You could watch his Hong Kong movies with the sound off and you'd still understand what's going on.

Just because Michelle Yeoh is asian doesn't mean it would make more sense for her to be a nurse in Japan. Besides, what does Sam Raimi care about these trivialities? He remade this movie specifically for Americans with American actors. Because you know the average American viewer does not want to read subtitles.