PDA

View Full Version : Best of the Year

David666
12-29-2000, 01:15 AM
So what do you think is the best of the year?

BEST Wide Release FILM:
The Cell

BEST Limited Release FILM:
For me this one is tied...
Equinox Knocks & Pep Squad

Best Director:
The Cell

Best Editing:
The Cell

Best Score:
The Cell

Best Actress:
Jennifer Lopez: The Cell

Best Actor:
That guy from American Psycho

Best Supporting Actress:
Chloe Svigney (sp?): American Psycho

Best Supporting Actor:
William DeFoe: Shadow of the Vampire
(now, I have not seen this, but the preview clearly shows that he is brilliant in it, I hope he wins the Golden Globe)

Best Special Effects:
Pitch Black

Best costumes:
The Cell

Best Make-up:
The Cell

Best set design:
The Cell

Best Production Values:
The Cell

Gee, I think I really enjoyed The Cell. Y'think? Well, it was pretty damn good.

Biggest piece of SHIT of the Year:
Hellraiser: Inferno

------------------
-David

"Didn't they tell you Kirsty, the rules of the fairy tale have changed. Not only am I the wicked stepmother, but I'm also the evil queen. So come on! Take your best shot, Snow White!"
- Julia (Claire Higgings)
Hellbound: Hellraiser 2

"If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman?"
... who knows, its on the radio all the time.

Jason25
12-29-2000, 01:24 AM
I take it you really enjoyed The Cell.

My pick for movie of the year would have to be for American Psycho.

Best Actor - Christian Bale

Best Supporting Actor - Vincent D'Onofrio

Biggest Piece of Shit of the Year - Scary Movie - I don't care where you classify this film, it was just plain awful.

When are we going to see a new Frank Henenlotter film? I'm growing rather impatient.

[This message has been edited by Jason25 (edited 12-28-2000).]

fishhead
12-29-2000, 01:47 AM
I have to go with American Psycho and Christian Bale as best movie and actor as well. However, I may well change my mind once I see Shadow of the Vampire this weekend.

I think The Cell is the most overrated movie of the year. Much like The Matrix, it was pretty to look at, but after a while it lost its appeal.

The films I'm looking forward the most next year are House of 1000 Corpses and LOTR.

------------------
"You know the rules, when we work undercover we have to remain faceless."
"Oh, I get it, just in case we kill lots of innocent people."
Frank and Ozzy, Bad Taste

Jason25
12-29-2000, 01:55 AM
I can't wait to see Shadow of the Vampire. Guess I'll have to wait though, since it will be several weeks before it hits theaters here in Cincy.

House Of 1000 Corpses looks really cool also. I'm hoping it will be a great film.

Mark Relford
12-29-2000, 04:56 AM
Best horror movie of the year: American Psycho
Best limited release film: The Virgin Suicides http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/biggrin.gif
Best production design: The Cell
Biggest POS of the year: Hellraiser: Inferno

------------------
"Have you ever had an Egyptian feast?"

"They're back from the grave and ready to party!"

Dave
12-29-2000, 05:30 AM
Damn....am I the only one who thought American Psycho sucked? There was just NOTHING I liked about it. Hated the lead actor, hated the story. This movie just didn't do it for me.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

hojimoji
12-29-2000, 05:56 AM
I'm surprised, no mention of Pokemon.

I'll duck now...

G.

DopeChamberX
12-29-2000, 06:14 AM
I think mentions should be made to Requiem for a Dream. And I think I laughed more watching American Psycho then I think I ever will watching Scary Movie. And that's a compliment.

------------------
"It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

MovieFan
12-29-2000, 09:02 AM
Damn....am I the only one who thought American Psycho sucked?

I thought American Psycho was crap. http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/smile.gif The book is waaaay better (and then some) than the movie.

Django
12-29-2000, 09:17 AM
Bring It On.

Seriously.

Ash
12-29-2000, 02:22 PM
I gotta go with Requiem for a Dream also. It was a great non-hollywood film not to mention very disturbing. I thought most if not all the hollywood horror films of 2000 sucked donkey shit especially the Cell. American Psycho was hilarious. I thought it was a great satire-slasher flick.

------------------
Ash - webmaster@deadites.net
Deadites Online - www.deadites.net (http://www.deadites.net)

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 12-29-2000).]

landrvr
12-29-2000, 03:22 PM
dave, you are not alone.

American Psycho - in the hands of feminist director Mary Haron - sucked ass. positively mind numbing...

one might go so far as to say that she completey emasculated the story. ouch.

my pick for best movie: High Fidelity. not better or worse than the novel. rather, a perfect companion to it.

nimereht
12-29-2000, 10:35 PM
GODZILLA 2000 kicked the crap out of every other movie mentioned....

rhett
12-29-2000, 11:40 PM
riiiiiiiiiight...

Agentsusp
12-30-2000, 04:24 AM
I just watched Requiem for a Dream again this evening, and it is without a doubt the finest Horror Film of the year. Terrifying, disturbing and hauntingly beautiful, it's simply amazing.
The Cell was a total lump of shit, assinine eye candy with no innovation whatsoever. Jennifer Lopez was laughabel and totally uncredible, the movie had gigantic holes in logic and the extended music video sequences brought nothing new to anyone that has watched any MTV in the last 10 years, most overrated movie of the year.

so again, Requiem for a Dream was and is everything a modern horror film could ever hope to be.

joltaddict
12-30-2000, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by DVD Connoisseur:
Most pleasant surprise of the year....Pitch Black.

Feel exactly the same way, not a great movie but fun regardless. Plus it rocked my HT!

DVD Connoisseur
12-30-2000, 06:46 AM
Most pleasant surprise of the year....Pitch Black. This film caught me off guard - I was expecting a poor Alien rip-off but found the film totally gripping.

Best horror DVD of the year...difficult. I've only just watched Evil Dead Trap from Synapse and so it's still fresh in my mind. But for a truly awesome, edge of the seat experience and quality presentation, this one has my vote.

The Chaostar
12-30-2000, 03:42 PM
BEST MOVIE
Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon

BEST DIRECTION
Ang Lee (Crouching Tiger - Hidder Dragon)

BEST SCRIPT
M. Night Shyamalan for "Unbreakable"

BEST ART DIRECTION
The Cell

BEST ACTOR
Chow Yung Fat

BEST PHOTOGRAPHY
The Cell & Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon
both perfect!

BEST MUSIC
Unbreakable

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Samuel L. Jackson (Unbreakable)

BEST ACTRESS
Helena Bonham Carter (Fight Club)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Michele Yeoh (Crouching Tiger - Hidden Dragon)

BEST FOREIGN FILM
Songs From The 2nd Floor (Sweden) -
You got to see this! It's like an art-house version of BRAZIL - A real masterpiece!

Best Pop-Corn Movie
Pitch Black
Also the best sci-fi film for years!

Piece Of Shit OF THE YEAR
SCARY MOVIE
sorry, fart jokes and highschool humour don't work for me.

ctyner
12-30-2000, 08:09 PM
Requiem For A Dream gets nothing but praise from me as well...what an incredible film. My second favorite overall of the year, behind Almost Famous.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ctyner) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

TobalRox
12-30-2000, 08:30 PM
Is Requiem in theaters or something? I haven't seen any commercials for it, and it hasn't been in any theaters around where I live.

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

indiephantom
12-31-2000, 12:09 AM
Tobalrox, I saw REQUIEM at a film festival. It did have a short-lived theatrical run in theaters in the early fall. Probably be on cable and DVD soon.

indiephantom
12-31-2000, 06:52 AM
Hey Django, I loved BRING IT ON! That was a great movie!!

If we're talking strictly horror films, my favorite of the year is AMERICAN PSYCHO.

I liked THE CELL, but it wasn't really horror. More of a psychological thriller.

I did not find REQUIEM FOR A DREAM remotely scary or interesting. It seemed unintentionally funny and repetitive. I liked only the scene where Connelly and the other chick using the dildo! That was cool, but how could anyone find this disturbing?

Best DVD of the year in horror:
THE BEYOND and NEKROMANTIK!

TobalRox
12-31-2000, 08:58 AM
Must have been very short lived. I remember people saying they couldn't wait for it to come out, so I waited and waited, and just assumed it's released was delayed or something because I didn't hear a thing about it.

------------------
"It's a spadoinkle day" -Cannibal: The Musical

AIM: TobalRox

JBENE
12-31-2000, 08:40 PM
I still haven't seen everything that came out last year but grom what I did I'd have to say the

JBENE
12-31-2000, 08:47 PM
I still haven't seen everything that came out last year but from what I did see I'd have to say the

Winners-GODZILLA 2000,FINAL DESTINATION,SCARY MOVIE,THE DEAD HATE THE LIVING,EXORCIST-VERSION YOU'VE NEVER SEEN

LOSERS-AMERICAN PSYCHO,PITCH BLACK,HELLRAISER-INFERNO,BEOWULF,HOLLOW MAN,OCTUPUS,SUPERNOVA,THE CELL

ctyner
12-31-2000, 09:13 PM
TobalRox: Requiem only entered into limited release in the U.S. Unless you live in a pretty large city, it probably didn't play anywhere near you. It didn't even play in a single theater in my state -- I had to drive to Atlanta to see it.

------------------
My DVD list (http://www.weirdal.org/me/html/dvd/list.php3) | bigwolfoncampus.org (http://www.bigwolfoncampus.org)

JBENE
01-01-2001, 12:02 AM
You didn't see any commercials for REQUIEM is because it's Rated NC-17.I saw a small ad mat in the LA TIMES for the film

jeffschmidt
01-03-2001, 05:25 AM
Best Theater Release: American Psycho. The novel's a personal favorite & though the book is WAY better than the movie, this was about as good as we can get with a wide-release based on this subject matter.

Best DVD: Dusk Till Dawn SE. Great supplements, although Tarantino's commentary makes me want to kick his teeth in; damn, he's annoying! Rodriguez was much more engaging, but Quentin hogged the mike.

------------------
"I like that satellite TV, Pa!" -Ellie May, Redneck Zombies