PDA

View Full Version : Best Decade/Era of Horror?

flesh-huntr
09-06-2001, 07:31 AM
I'm just curious as to what you horror fans think was the best time period of horror films. In visiting this and other sites, as well as my horror loving friends, it seems there is more excitement for films from the early 80's getting rereleased. My choice would be from the mid 70's to early 80's. It just seems the films were more 'raw' and intense and there was none of this pc crap. Alot of these films could never be made today. Stories were more original and makeup and special effects were becoming more and more realistic (Anyone remember GOREZONE and FANGORIA getting pulled from certain stores due to the covers being too graphic?). No need to mention an era you dislike, I was just wanting to know when and why you thought it was or is the best.....thanks

keith70
09-06-2001, 07:58 AM
Where's the voting-thingamajigger? That's a tough call. I love 60's horror movies because of the atmosphere in films like Children of the Damned, Carnival of Souls, Night of the Living Dead.

But the 70's had some of the most intense and original horror films like TCM, Phantasm, Exorcist, Sisters. Not to mention the Italian horror films from Fulci and Argento.

I think the 80's had the biggest and most memorible horror films. Especially since the 80's were the horror franchise decade. Psycho finally had a sequel. Friday, Halloween, Freddy, Pinhead, Chucky and a whole slew of other franchises were born.

The 90's are the decade that impressed me the least. There were some classics, but after the 80's boom, the 90's didn't have much of a chance.

Each decade offered something, but I guess I'll go with the 70's. Since it's in between the 60's and 80's. Not to mention I think the quality of the scripts were a little better.

As for the current horror wave. I think it has a lot of potential. The only thing that bothers me is all of the remakes: TCM, Dawn of the Dead, Forbidden Planet, 13 Ghosts, The Ring and the possibility of the Suspiria remake.

AceRimRat
09-06-2001, 11:31 PM
I'm a child of the 80s, so I'm mostly a big fan of the 80s slasher kind of movies, though some are from the late 70s (Halloween) or early 90s.

As for the best, as my horizons in horror broaden, mostly thanks to this site, I find myself gravitating towards some more 70s horror, especially in the Euro vein, though again some of that goes into the 80s.

I'm not well-versed in Hammer or the true "Classics" of the older decades, I'm afraid. Except for NOTLD.

So I'm voting 80s. Well, not voting, since there's not a voting thingy. But you know what I mean.

rhett
09-07-2001, 02:11 AM
I am in the same bet as Ace. I grew up on 80's slashers, so they will always have more nostalgic value to me, but I have to say that the period from about 1969 to 1982 was the best. This was a time where new films with new ideas and chilling realism were coming out on pretty much a yearly basis. There were no sequels with more of the same stuff as their predecessors. With NotLD, Halloween, TCM, Exorcist, Carrie, The Evil Dead, Alien, The Omen, F13th, Suspiria, The Howling, Cronenberg Gore Fests, and Black Christmas, to name a few, there is no other decade that has films with the followings that the films listed above have. And plus, films from 69 to 82 lacked the horrible clothing and hairstyles that pretty much marred most of the mid to late 80's films. The 70's themes and styles seem to hold up much better than anything that came after it. So my vote is for the 70's, stretching it just a bit by including NotLD and Evil Dead.

skinnypuppy6
09-07-2001, 04:41 AM
no question the 80's just count all the great horror films and compare to the 60's, 70's and 90's the 80's should be crowned the decade of horror i know cause i was there!!!!!:) :D

Erg0n
09-08-2001, 01:32 AM
Yeah it was during the 80's that the Horror genre peaked. furtunatly, there may be a come back...

EVIL-SINNER
09-09-2001, 06:37 AM
i woluld have to say the years 1974 - 1986 are the best !

Andrew
09-09-2001, 07:30 AM
I'd have to say '73-'83.

We got the Exorcist, TCM, The Omen, Suspiria, Deep Red, Phantasm, Dawn of the Dead, Halloween, The Shining, The Evil Dead, Friday the 13th, umm other stuff too, but this is it.

None for nostalgic reasons, but those are my fave years.

betterdan
09-09-2001, 10:06 AM
I agree completely with Andrew.

Peter Vincent
09-12-2001, 07:20 PM
Definately The 80's....

Friday the 13th, Nightmare On Elm Street, Howling, Halloween sequals, Evil Dead, Fright Night and many others I can't think of off the top of my head make the 80s ALL that in the horror genre!

Jason25
09-12-2001, 07:44 PM
70's - 80's

Many memorable films from the likes of Fulci, Argento, Lenzi, Deodato, and Carpenter.

keith70
09-12-2001, 11:02 PM
Well hell if people are going to stretch out the time period, than I say from 1963-1993.;)

Peter Vincent
09-12-2001, 11:25 PM
Wow, a span of 30 years! I guess U can't beat that!!!!

HerbertWest
09-14-2001, 09:06 AM
If you start at '63 you skip Bava's Black Sunday(Maschera del Demonio), and Corman's House of Usher and Pit and the Pendulum. I say '60 to '81.

mcchrist
09-14-2001, 09:57 AM
Well if you are going to be like that, 61 skips the likes of Dracula: Prince of Darkness, White Zombie, Vampyr, Nosferatu, The Golem, Fall of the House of Usher (Bunuel collaberation) among others. I'd say from 1919-89 :D I loved those SOV slashers too, so I went through more of the eighties as well.