PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Universal Hammer!!

mutleyhyde
09-06-2001, 05:43 PM
DVDDrive-in is reporting that Universal is gearing up to release more classic horror dvds, including Hammer's Brides of Dracula, Evil of Frankenstein, Phantom of the Opera, and, get ready, Curse of the Werewolf! Can we hope for an uncut version, or do we need to get a petition going already? ;) Here's the clincher. DVDDrive-in goes on to say that we can expect these to be double feature dvds. Maybe they won't have the goodies that AB puts on their Hammers, but I like the double feature discs; bring 'em on! Frustratingly, no dates have been set. :(

Personally, I'm stoked!

http://www.dvddrive-in.com/news.htm

Yowie
09-06-2001, 07:43 PM
This is truly excellent news !. mutleyhyde, you just made my day !. I do have some fears about a cut "Curse Of The Werewolf" I must admit, but with the old LD being intact (so I'm told) maybe we needn't worry. And "Brides.." will look so cool, I just know it. (-The LD did/does.) Anyway, I want 'em all too, so yes, they can start bringing 'em on !.

mutleyhyde
09-06-2001, 10:14 PM
Yowie, I must confess ignorance here. I never did much LD, in fact, I only ever owned two before my second-hand Denon player crapped out on me. Those would be Killing Zoe and Pink Floyd at Pompeii, by the way. I still have them, and have since picked up Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. The ones with the Vader cover and Stormtrooper cover. I still have no player yet though.

But I digress... bigtime. What I'm trying to get at is that I have no idea who put Curse of the Werewolf and Brides of Dracula out on LD. I feel dumb asking, but was it in fact Universal? Or did they license it out to Image or someone? If Universal did put them out theirselves, and Curse was uncut, I think we do have a very good shot at getting what we want, and probably don't need to worry.

But yeah, it is good news, ain't it? ;)

Chucky P
09-07-2001, 02:22 AM
Well I looked on the IMDb and I could only find out that Brides was released by Universal.
http://us.imdb.com/Laserdisc?0053677

I can't wait to have all of these cool movies in my collection.

Scorpio
09-07-2001, 03:21 AM
Great news. My only issue might be releasing them as double-features. I like to have all my films in alphabetical order on the shelf (Am I being petty? :) ).

skinnypuppy6
09-07-2001, 04:47 AM
Great news. My only issue might be releasing them as double-features. I like to have all my films in alphabetical order on the shelf (Am I being petty? ). ....no way dude!!!! i store mine alphabetical by director then in order by the year they were released as for the universal hammers id prefer single discs but hey ill take as i can get em'!!:)

carl.kolchak
09-07-2001, 04:54 AM
Thanks Mutley!!! The thought of Yvonne Monlaur in a 16x9 Universal DVD just cured my vacation hangover! :D

Yowie
09-07-2001, 06:11 PM
They were both released on LD by Universal. I only have "Brides...", but it looks gorgeous and it has a chapter with stills and posters.

Diamondhead
09-07-2001, 06:54 PM
I have all of the laser discs that were put out by MCA (Universal). They were not licensed to Image and they are all uncut. The CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF disc was indeed uncut and a beautiful print to boot! Can't wait for these....

mutleyhyde
09-07-2001, 07:03 PM
Yowie and DH, that news is great, and very promising. Thanks! :D

jae
09-08-2001, 05:37 AM
This is good news. It was said that Universal originally planned on releasing Curse of the Werewolf on the Werewolf of London double feature. I don't really care for Curse but will definately pick up Brides and maybe Phantom.

And on a note unrelated to Hammer, I hope that a Black Cat/Raven double feature comes out of this. Maybe the Invisible Ray too. Hmm.

Yowie
09-08-2001, 06:59 AM
Can't wait for "Black Cat" and its relatives either. Wonder if Universal plan to make us wait till Halloween 2002 ?!. -Thought (and hoped) they might've been among their last Classic Monster batch.