PDA

View Full Version : Seeing Saw?

rhett
02-13-2005, 08:33 PM
The Halloween horror hit, SAW, comes out on DVD this Tuesday. How many of you will be getting it?

Dave
02-13-2005, 08:39 PM
Decent flick but the ending sucked monkey balls

Surnom
02-13-2005, 08:42 PM
I'll be sure to get that, eventually. I rarely buy DVD when they come out, I prefer to wait that the price lower down a bit. I might get a used copy of that one, keeping my money for titles I'd prefer and that you can't get used around here.

BloodMan
02-13-2005, 08:47 PM
No... disliked it.

fceurich39
02-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Yes I Am Getting It On Dvd This Tuesday But Didnt See It In Theaters

dwatts
02-13-2005, 10:15 PM
Well, YES I'll be buying it - but not in the next week........

RickMoe
02-13-2005, 10:18 PM
No, but interested in renting.

allmessedup
02-13-2005, 10:31 PM
I'll give it a rental.

RyanPC
02-13-2005, 10:33 PM
I chose buying because I haven't seen it yet, but I'll probably rent it first.

Evil Dead Guy
02-13-2005, 11:21 PM
I'll rent first also, if i like it then i wiil buy.

MrVess
02-13-2005, 11:24 PM
Certainly not the upcoming full-priced R1 release... if it comes out here, as part of the low-priced releases of unknown films, costing the equivalent of 5-6 USD, I might consider picking it up one day... then again, even that price would be too much for such a thoroughly mediocre film.

Semerrill
02-13-2005, 11:41 PM
yes im buying it,two copies of it because the r2 is uncut

Nemesis
02-14-2005, 03:00 AM
wheres the option, It was okay but is completely unrewatchable? ;)

rhett
02-14-2005, 05:24 AM
For those still on the fence, here is my review for the film (http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&op=newreview&id=277).

Deus Ex Machina
02-14-2005, 05:50 AM
it may be light on extras but it's only $17.99 at Futureshop....about the maximum I'd pay for it.

MorallySound
02-14-2005, 05:53 AM
I've already watched it on DVD over the weekend, and it doesn't even come out till Tuesday. Oh the joys of working at a video store and receiving movie shipments on Fridays! Also took home and watched The Motorcycle Diaries (amazing movie) and The Yes Men.

I love this movie, but I was a bit dissapointed with the extras on the disc, theres not much there (I didn't get a chance to check out the commentary track though).

KamuiX
02-14-2005, 07:00 AM
I loved the film...mindless entertainment at it's best. People over-analyze it...Screw the plotholes. This isn't a film that needs analyzing.

I'm not buying the DVD though, simply for the fact that Lion's Gate said they'd release it uncut on DVD, and here it is, and no uncut to be seen. I'm sure they'll be releasing it uncut just in time for Saw 2, so you can pay twice. Or I'll just order the Japanese R2, which I'm planning on doing anyways.

othervoice1
02-14-2005, 09:00 AM
I all I can say is the acting was so horrible and overdone it ruined any plot the movie tried to convey....

John Gargo
02-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Brilliant opening scene, a great premise, a slow descent into mediocrity, and then an awful awful AWFUL ending... I will not be buying this film.

Surnom
02-14-2005, 12:54 PM
I just read the review from Rhett, and might be waiting for a re-release, after all. Surely there will be a SE soon enough - this is how movies marketing works these day...

tobaccoman
02-14-2005, 12:55 PM
I'll be renting it for sure. I was about to check it out in theatres on Friday, but Thursday was the last time it was being shown in the dollar theatre. I would have gone the week before, but I went to "A Very Long Engagement" instead. I'm looking forward to seeing "Saw" though as I was anticipating it's release for quite some time. I doubt I'll buy it until an unrated version is released (or I'll pick up the Japanese disk).

Crystal Plumage
02-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I think I'll just rent it someday.The trailers looked ok.But I'd rather spend my money on other titles.

Tien21
02-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I loved the movie and I'll be buying it when it comes out on dvd. As far as the unrated version goes, there hardly is one. The unrated version is basicly a few extended scenes and that's about it.

Lyle Horowitz
02-15-2005, 12:52 AM
One of the worst horror films I've ever seen. No way I will ever re-visit this, cool packaging or not.

onebyone
02-16-2005, 03:39 AM
Not going to get it or see it again on account that it is god awful.

indiephantom
02-16-2005, 05:09 PM
Bought it and "Donnie Darko" director's cut yesterday. Cool stuff.

Wermode
02-17-2005, 04:30 AM
I thought it was decent in the theater, but I doubt it can stand up to repeat viewings. Still, not much good new stuff out there this month...

moogong
02-19-2005, 04:14 AM
I enjoyed it in the theaters but will hold off until a better version is released...whenever that will be.

thrashard76
02-19-2005, 06:22 AM
I may rent it but I'll hold off for a more complete Saw.

hots4
02-21-2005, 01:27 AM
definately, superb film and it comes out uncut in the u.k. today, so will be picking that one up.

zombee
02-21-2005, 05:37 PM
I rented this and thought that it was pretty good... why is everyone so against the ending?

Semerrill
02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
i thought the ending was pretty good

Crazy Ralph
02-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Bought it last night, and was pleasantly surprised...... but I am disappointed with the (lack of) extras......

Guyver99
02-22-2005, 10:32 AM
I just rented it and thought it was very good. I noticed a lot of people didn't care for it...what were you guys expecting? This movie was all about atmosphere and tension and in that regard, I thought it accomplished its mission. The ending was almost a let down, but come on, who saw that one coming (no pun intended)?

I also loved Charlie Clouser's music. Any hardcore Nine Inch Nails fan should be digging the soundtrack. He also get major kudos from me for using a Front Line Assembly song for about 5 seconds. :lol:

The DVD itself is bit on the lame side, though. I mean, the "making of" featurette (generally 15-30 minutes on most DVDs) barely clocks in at 2 minutes. I was thinking to myself, "was that it?!" I thought the Fear Factory song was okay, but those videos are beyond lame...I guess that's all Lions Gate could afford. The trailers are extremely well done and like Rhett said in his review, they were probably the reason why this film did so well at the box office.

In all, a good rollercoaster film for 100 minutes...just don't come in with such high expectations.

Deus Ex Machina
02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
I also loved Charlie Clouser's music. Any hardcore Nine Inch Nails fan should be digging the soundtrack. He also get major kudos from me for using a Front Line Assembly song for about 5 seconds. :lol:

The DVD itself is bit on the lame side, though. I mean, the "making of" featurette (generally 15-30 minutes on most DVDs) barely clocks in at 2 minutes. I was thinking to myself, "was that it?!" I thought the Fear Factory song was okay, but those videos are beyond lame...I guess that's all Lions Gate could afford. The trailers are extremely well done and like Rhett said in his review, they were probably the reason why this film did so well at the box office.

I got a promo copy of the soundtrack in time for Halloween....super awesome.

...and I wouldn't blame Lion's Gate for the crappy Fear Factory videos. Their videos have never been Fear Factory's strength. Every FF videos has been more underwhelming than the last.

Ptflea2
02-23-2005, 07:38 PM
I liked the film, but the dvd release is less than desired. I'll probably sell out and get it anyway.

willywalken
02-25-2005, 12:17 AM
when i was watching it. when i saw danny glover running around like a dumb ass with his throat cut from ear to ear. i was done with it after that. from that point on, it was a comedy to my friends and i.

Tom Servo
02-25-2005, 06:40 AM
I thought the film was fun, but the Danny Glover character was not needed. It could have gone a different way and been totally original, instead it slipped into a formula. I bought it and stand by my decision.

Bottom line...I liked it.

allmessedup
02-25-2005, 03:54 PM
I liked it but I'm glad I rented it instead of buying it or seeing it in theaters. There were good bits here and there, but I agree, I didn't see the point of the Danny Glover character and at times it seemed too similar to "Seven." The small scale of the story was a turnoff to me.

Shannafey
02-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I didn't see the point of the Danny Glover character and at times it seemed too similar to "Seven

I don't see the point to Danny Glover being in any movie, period!! :D

philxus
02-25-2005, 11:04 PM
GOOD TRAILER BORING MOVIE!!! :sleepy: :fucked:

tobaccoman
02-26-2005, 12:59 AM
I viewed thiis movie for the first time a few nights ago after much anticipation and then being put off by reviews. It was everything I thought it would be and as others have stated (remains a decent movie trying to overcome horrible acting, way too many flashbacks, and a seemingly endless list of whodunnit's/so that's the killer (although the last actually works in it's favor somehow). After finally seeing this movie, I am deffinitely NOT looking forward to it's already announced sequel,

Razz 714
02-26-2005, 01:07 AM
I like to see a killer have his victums do themselves in.

Philxus you wouldn't know a good horror movie if it bit you on the ass!

Gothic Queen
04-14-2005, 04:20 PM
I agree with Razz...the concept of the killings was pretty entertaining to say the least, I loved the tension, the soundtrack, and with the exception of one character...the casting wasn't all that bad, I know I've seen worse. Carrey Elwis kicks ass and should be recieving more respect for this film. I bought it before watching it...thats the kind of faith I have in Elwis...and I am glad I did. It's one of those movies that you throw on for your "non-horror" friends to make them shit. Recently exposed a good friend of mine to the Texas Chainsaw Remake... with successful results.

Burn
04-14-2005, 06:17 PM
Yep....Boring movie!

maskull
04-14-2005, 06:34 PM
still haven't seen it...I just can't bring myself to rent it. I actually wanted to see it when I first heard about it, but now...nothing.

Hellbilly
04-14-2005, 06:39 PM
There's a Director's Cut coming out on DVD in Germany soon, might have to check that one out to see what's missing from the R-Rated version.

Paff
04-14-2005, 07:02 PM
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it was better than I thought it would be. A really good concept that doesn't hold up the entire 90 minutes, but not a waste of time either.

Do have to disagree with the person who praised Cary Elwes (let me guess....you have a crush on him). His performance was terrible, although it says on IMDB that they didn't have time to rehearse, and many of the scenes in the film are first time readings. It sounds believable to me.

Ash28M
04-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it was better than I thought it would be. A really good concept that doesn't hold up the entire 90 minutes, but not a waste of time either.

Do have to disagree with the person who praised Cary Elwes (let me guess....you have a crush on him). His performance was terrible, although it says on IMDB that they didn't have time to rehearse, and many of the scenes in the film are first time readings. It sounds believable to me.

Yeah i agree he was weak link acting wize in that film. Entertaining film though.

Mok
04-15-2005, 06:59 PM

Yes she thinks he's hot, but I wouldn't say he was terrible. If anything the writing for his character was a bit weak. On the other hand, he was playing a pretty boy doctor.

onebyone
04-17-2005, 05:45 AM
Elwes gave a terrible performance to be sure; however, he may be the movie's saving grace. My thoughts on the movie have evolved a bit. The first time I saw it I was expecting horror and got camp and was very disappointed. The second time, it was a late show and folks laughed wildly everytime Elwes overacted (aka often) and it was really fun. The third time, some friends said they were getting together to laugh at Saw. I went and sure enough, that was fun too. I laughed until I cried. It may be a camp classic in the works.