PDA

View Full Version : Darkness Uncut

rhett
02-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Despite being shelved for a couple years, DARKNESS ended up making a tidy profit for Dimension films this past December. It is without surprise that a month later the specs for the DVD have been announced. Fans will be happy to know that the film will be released in its much longer unrated version. The theatrical cut will also be released, but nobody here will be buying it. Both versions will street on April 26th for a retail of $29.99. Below is an attachment of the cover art courtesy of DVDAnswers.com.

thrashard76
02-19-2005, 06:04 AM
Can't wait to get me some unrated Anna Paquin....mmm!

John Gargo
02-19-2005, 06:14 AM
I was interested in seeing this uncut but 30 dollars is too much for what was a rather mediocre movie.

VideoViolence
02-21-2005, 04:32 AM
$30 is too much, if I happen to see the uncut version at a cheap price, I'll buy it. Now if Dimension would just stop dragging their feet on a lot of other movies they haven't released yet.

maskull
03-07-2005, 06:50 AM
you can always rent it.

I'll check it out for Anna Paquin...

Vincent Pina
03-09-2005, 06:21 PM
I have the unrated version that was released in Spain. I liked this movie despite it being rather simple. It ended on a really "dark" note. The last five minutes really reminded me of Silent Hill. I heard that the US theatrical release was hated by many because it was butchered into a nonsensical edit, but the unrated version isn't really all that much longer. FYI, there is no nude Paquin footage.

maskull
03-11-2005, 06:39 PM
well i didn't think Anna Paquin would get nekkid. she's just a cutie!

thrashard76
03-12-2005, 05:49 AM
well i didn't think Anna Paquin would get nekkid. she's just a cutie!
I fully agree with ya. Ever since I saw her in Shes All That I thought she was cute. Now its legal to really like her. :D

John Gargo
03-12-2005, 01:15 PM
For those who have seen the uncut version... is it violent at all? The stateside release was practically bloodless.

shift
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I have the unrated version that was released in Spain. I liked this movie despite it being rather simple. It ended on a really "dark" note. The last five minutes really reminded me of Silent Hill. I heard that the US theatrical release was hated by many because it was butchered into a nonsensical edit, but the unrated version isn't really all that much longer. FYI, there is no nude Paquin footage.

Auh, and your ass didn't tell me you got it.?? lol ;)

MrVess
03-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Here, the two-disc version of this film costs the equivalent of 9 USD... :) And having finally watched it after over half a year of owning it, I'd estimate this price to be about 10 times higher than it should be.

Tien21
03-19-2005, 04:28 PM
I liked this movie a little bit. It was simple like someone else said, but I thought it was very well made. I think I'll like it A LOT more with the unrated version. Is it true that there is really 15 mins more in the unrated version?

thrashard76
04-28-2005, 06:25 AM
I just finished this one (unrated) and I totally dug it. It helps that Anna is in this one with the lead role and the fact that she is either wet or toweling off only helps matters. The characters in this one had plenty of time to get fleshed out and the few gore shots that were included were either run of the mill or in that one case near the end a bit cringefull. The story developed well and the twists could be seen from a mile away but it was the story itself that kept me interested through out...that and Anna. During the one scene where she is breaking down to her grandfather at his place I actually felt the most sympathy for her as she was shaking and teary eyed. The editing was flash-fare in that it was split second glimpses that heightened the tention during certain parts of the movie. The atmosphere was perfect especially at the very end and the movie ends the way I hoped it would.

shift
04-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Possible the most unorganized and boringly tedious film I've ever tried to watch... Meaning I couldn't finish it.

Yea it was pretty bad. Stupid ending, btw

dwatts
06-30-2005, 01:00 AM
I just caught up with the unrated version of this film, which I bought for less than $10.

I think it would be easy to be dismissive of such a film, since it doesn't try hard to be original. Nothing about the story or execution is going to stick in your head.

On the other hand, every movie doesn't have to be an event for me, the best thing in the genre - or even trying to be. In other words, I found it somewhat tolerable, and think if it had been a 70's film, I'd have been even kinder.

Anna Paquin though - I've read others say she's good in this, but honestly, I don't she was. She's never natural, walks in this strange way, as though hr limbs are disconected from her body, and wander about in sweat pants for just about the whole thing. Nice....... :eek:

As a movie though - it's a middling little affair, not stretching out, innovating, taking risks. Instead it's the sort of film that will remind you of better scenes from many other films, but never really offending.

It's certainly not a $20 flick, but for $10, you could do worse. Just be in a popcorn mood and you'll be alright........

MOST ANNOYING PART FOR ME: The water motive was completely wasted. In fact, I have no idea of why there is so much water in this movie - it's everywhere, but it symbolied nothing as far as I could tell. At times it felt like Argento with all the water.... but no pay off.