PDA

View Full Version : Best theatrical horror film so far this year?

rhett
02-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Perhaps more than any other year, horror in 2005 has been flooding the marketplace. For these two months alone, there have already been five big horror films released (six if you count DARKNESS, which rolled in at the end of December). Some may argue it has been slim pickings for good horror this year, but of the bunch, which one is the best?

RickMoe
02-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Can't say I've seen any of them yet as they all looked like shit. But Boogeyman looked the most promising.

life_o_petey
02-26-2005, 07:27 PM
none of those looked any good, so i guess i can't vote. The Jacket looks like it should be good, though.

fceurich39
02-26-2005, 07:33 PM
so far i have to go with boogeyman and followed by cursed but when amityville remake comes out that will rule but until then the next two coming are the jacket which looks horrible and the ring two which will probably be the best until amityville horror remake comes out

Bobbywoodhogan
02-26-2005, 08:21 PM
I voted White Noise its the only one I have seen of the above but I have heard bad things about most of the others.

Anthropophagus
02-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for Amityville Horror, so far everything else has sucked big time!! The crap that has come out this year makes Cabin Fever and House of a 1,000 Corpses look like epic filmaking by comparison.

RickMoe
02-27-2005, 01:40 AM
so far i have to go with boogeyman and followed by cursed but when amityville remake comes out that will rule but until then the next two coming are the jacket which looks horrible and the ring two which will probably be the best until amityville horror remake comes out

You said it fceurich39... AMITYVILLE rules!!

Samhain32481
02-27-2005, 07:11 PM
So far this year has been a let down. I can't wait for LAND OF THE DEAD, THE DEVIL'S REJECTS, HIGH TENSION and (maybe even) WAR OF THE WORLDS.

Jason25
02-28-2005, 04:59 AM
Perhaps more than any other year, horror in 2005 has been flooding the marketplace. For these two months alone, there have already been five big horror films released (six if you count DARKNESS, which rolled in at the end of December). Some may argue it has been slim pickings for good horror this year, but of the bunch, which one is the best?

I'll take quality over quantity any day of the week. There might be an influx of horror at the box office, but it would help matters tremendously if at least a few of these were even decent yet alone above average. I have a difficult time getting excited over any announcement of a new "horror" film hitting the big screen.

John Gargo
02-28-2005, 05:21 PM
What a sorry lot of films... WHITE NOISE was mediocre, but watchable, therefore it gets my vote.

Ash
03-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Another year of shitty horror movies. I'm looking forward to seeing how Jacket and Land of the Dead shape up.

bigdaddyhorse
03-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Haven't see nany of those and will probably wait for dvd on all of them (and ones remaining pg-13 on dvd may be skipped alltogether).
I'd vote Constantine since I did see and enjoy that, although it's not really true horror, it had it's elements.

HamiltonHigh
03-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Alone In The Darkwas just awful - Christian Slater & Tara Reid must've been hard up for the work. Hide And Seekwas just OK, but the ending almost ruined the whole movie. Boogeymanwas so dull and boring that I was hoping whoever or whatever it was would just get Barry Watson so I could go home. After those disappointments, I didn't have high expectations going to see Cursed, but I was surprised at how entertaining it was - especially being PG-13! I'm sure the DVD will be even better since I know that Dimension has a lot of deleted and extended scenes that would've made the movie an 'R.' I pretty much liked everything about this movie, especially the sequence where Mya is pursued by the werewolf in the parking ramp and elevator.

indiephantom
03-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Wow! I've seen three of those and they were beyond shitty. Voted for one I didn't see, just in the hope.

bigdaddyhorse
03-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Saw Hide and Seek the other day and called out the end about 15-20 minutes in. It had potential, but was wasted.
I dl'ed Alone in the Dark just see if can possibly be as bad as everything I've heard about it. Haven't watched it yet, but it fit on 2 cd-rw's as I didn't want to waste a disc.

Ash28M
03-06-2005, 09:45 PM
The only two i've seen are White Noise and Hide and Seek None where that great Hide and Seek has some potential, average first third, good middle third but the ending just didn't work or make any sense at all.

Ash J. Williams
03-06-2005, 10:36 PM
Cursed, by far. It was incredibly entertaining. The only other one I've seen is White Noise, which was absolutely horrible. The one guy you've seen once in a 6-second scene who had one pointless line is the "surprise villain." "They told me to do it." What a joke.

John Gargo
03-07-2005, 12:45 AM
The one guy you've seen once in a 6-second scene who had one pointless line is the "surprise villain." "They told me to do it." What a joke.
Sounds like SAW, only in SAW the killer has no lines in his 6-second scene.

maskull
03-07-2005, 06:30 AM
i haven't seen any of them. I don't think I want to. Well I may see Alone in the Dark for a laugh, but the rest...no.
there's a lot of horror movies coming out, but really they're just MTV's idea of horror movies so far. the better ones will come out later this year (I hope)

Erick H.
03-07-2005, 07:04 AM
So far,not a good year for horror.I thought CURSED was slapdash and silly.WHITE NOISE started well but lost me in the last reel.ALONE IN THE DARK was ultra lame.HIDE AND SEEK was well made but predictable.Guess I'd have to go with BOOGEYMAN,hardly original but well shot ,it could've been a LOT worse,I thought it was fairly decent.

_pi_
03-07-2005, 01:01 PM
My vote also goes to Constantine, even though it's not on the list. A surprisingly good and very, very beautiful movie.