PDA

View Full Version : Mario Bava and DVD

mazzariniuk
09-07-2001, 10:28 PM
I am new to Mario Bava, not because I have never heard of him, just that I have never got around to seeing any of his movies. Well all that is going to change over the next few months. I have ordered HOUSE OF EXORCISM/LISA AND THE DEVIL SPECIAL EDITION and it should be arriving any day now. What do you good people think of this man'a films?

skinnypuppy6
09-07-2001, 10:54 PM
i enjoy his film alot . and highly recommend starting a collection of his many films on dvd

Erg0n
09-08-2001, 12:29 AM
does any of his films have a special edition treatment like dario argento's?

mazzariniuk
09-08-2001, 12:39 AM
HOUSE OF EXORCISM/LISA AND THE DEVIL is a Special Edition because it features both versions of the film, LATD by Bava and HOE which was re-edited by producer Alfredo Leone. HOE also features a commentary by Leone and star Elke Sommer, there are also trailers, bios, stills gallery, Liner notes and a deleted scene for good measure.

skinnypuppy6
09-08-2001, 02:11 AM
VCI has two Special Editions they are: Blood And Black Lace and The Whip And The Body and Image has the whole "Mario Bava Collection" thing going wich compared to most Image discs all of those are S.E's

crank
09-08-2001, 06:50 AM
I think the most special thing about Bava DVDs is the fact that you can get almost everyone of his horror movies on DVD now. I own 15 Mario Bava DVDs and I still don't have all of them. He has to be the best represented Eurohorror director out there at the moment. (although Jess Franco will be quickly catching up in the next couple of months)

crank

Paff
09-08-2001, 10:27 AM
Is Baron Blood out on DVD?

A few months ago, I got the Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil double feature LD. I watched Lisa, found it started great but REALLY slowed down. Lisa is supposedly the better of the two movies, and since Baron Blood opens up with a "come fly away in my beautiful balloon" type 70's song, I've been reluctant to watch it.

But this past week I did, and it's a great movie! OK, it's still a bit of 70's cheese, but it's a fun Hammer-style movie. Recommended.

skinnypuppy6
09-08-2001, 08:24 PM
Is Baron Blood out on DVD? Image put baron blood out on DVD

piggwinn
09-09-2001, 10:13 PM
I'll recommend a few nice discs
"Black Sunday","Rabid Dogs","Blood and Black Lace" and"Twitch of the Death Nerve". The sound on this one got critisism, but I compared it to the Simitar release, and it has much better sound than that had. I was expecting it to be really bad, on a decent set up I found it ok.

Jason25
09-09-2001, 10:26 PM
I really enjoy Mario Bava. I suggest you pick up the VCI Bava set of three films they put out, I am very happy with it.

Andrew
09-09-2001, 10:29 PM
Check Suncoast, mine had The Whip and the Body and Blood and Black Lace (can you make out the two different movie titles? lol :D) for $15 each, which is cheaper than most online sites have it for. Those are the only two Bava films I've seen, but I've been meaning to pick up the Image releases forever.

keith70
09-11-2001, 05:50 AM
Does anyone like Mario Bava, that didn't like Lisa and the Devil? If so, what would you recommend from him? From what I've read, I get the impression Black Sabbath is a good starting point.

I've only seen Danger! Diabolik & Lisa and the Devil. I liked Diabolik(Non horror), but felt like pulling out my eyelids during Lisa. The film was too slow for me. But everyone considers him the master of Italian horror, so I'm just trying to find out what I might like without being tempted to fast forward as I was with Lisa. The film did have some cool parts, but it was sooooo slooooowwwwww. Sorry to complain, but I really would like to be able to appreciate at least some of his horror work.

As for Danger Diabolik. If they ever release it on dvd, I'm buying it right away. I have the video. But for some reason Paramount only released it in lp mode.

Does anyone know which company released the laser disc?

Suicide
09-11-2001, 05:58 PM
If you like Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, then you'd like Black Sunday. He says that he was very influenced by that movie. I mean it's completely different but has kinda the same feel to it.

skinnypuppy6
09-13-2001, 03:16 AM
Black Sunday and Black Sabbath are two good films to start with and you can also get Planet Of The Vampires pretty cheap it's kinda cheesy but still worth getting 9.99 @ bestbuy!!

Jason25
09-13-2001, 06:53 AM
Planet of the Vampires is a fun film and a good buy.

mazzariniuk
09-14-2001, 01:39 AM
Finished watching these today, where do I start... LISA AND THE DEVIL was very good, THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM was terrible, the extras were great, and although THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM was as bad as it was I rather enjoyed the commentary by Alfredo Leone and Elke Sommer.

Chunkblower5000
09-14-2001, 07:42 AM
You really can't go wrong with Black Sunday and Black Sabbath. Black Sabbath is probably my favorite Bava film, although I do love them all. I'd also recommend checking out Hatchet for a Honeymoon, which is also on the top of my favorite Bava list.

mazzariniuk
09-15-2001, 10:37 PM
After watching LISA AND THE DEVIL / HOUSE OF EXORCISM SPECIAL EDITION I decided to order PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES, from what I have read I have much to look forward too with the quality of this film. I was going to order another Bava film, but decided to get Antonio Margheriti's euro western VENGEANCE.

Zombie Keeper
09-16-2001, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by piggwinn
I'll recommend a few nice discs
"Black Sunday","Rabid Dogs","Blood and Black Lace" and"Twitch of the Death Nerve". The sound on this one got critisism, but I compared it to the Simitar release, and it has much better sound than that had. I was expecting it to be really bad, on a decent set up I found it ok.

The sound on Twitch of the Death Nerve is horrid, as is the transfer. Looks like a 20 year old tape.

skinnypuppy6
09-16-2001, 07:13 PM
I highly recomend the Bava Box I think VCI did a good job with it,

boyd1955
09-17-2001, 09:58 AM
For me Mario Bava was really the father of modern horror... He really did do it all before anyone else... Won't be happy until
" Danger Diabolik " & " Hercules in the Haunted World " get a good DVD release... Oh... By the way... Has anyone noticed the similarity to the face of the old dead woman in the " Drop of Water " segment of " Black Sabbath " and Regans face in " The Exorcist " ?