PDA

View Full Version : The Grudge Gets Longer...and Angrier

rhett
03-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Although Sam Raimi's Ghost House Productions seems to be making a name for themselves as the provider of teen-friendly PG-13 horror, their first venture will be re-released onto DVD uncut. THE GRUDGE: THE EXTENDED EDITION will be coming out May 3rd for $28.95 thanks to Columbia pictures. Not much is known at this point, other than the runtime, which will clock in at 98 minutes - 7 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. As far as what that added footage is, expect it to at the very least add more gore to the theatrical cut. Full specs and cover art should be released shortly, so stay tuned.

soxfan666
03-08-2005, 02:10 PM
i hate this double dipping shit.

Surnom
03-08-2005, 02:28 PM
I don't think that 7 minutes will make me change my opinion about this movie, which i found boring...

John Gargo
03-08-2005, 03:03 PM
The Grudge gets longer... and angrier... and it better get MUCH MUCH better if I ever want to see this again. If the added 7 minutes were SUSPIRIA good, it would make this film ok.

legz
03-08-2005, 03:06 PM
I hate it when they do this shit. Why can't they release both versions at the same time like they did with the Dawn of the Dead remake. I would rather wait a couple extra weeks or months to buy the best version possible whether it be the unrated version of a dvd or include the deleted scenes on the dvd at least. They already have all this to begin with why don't they release it right the first time. I am going to have to start writing to these idiots and straighten them out. I hate double dipping it is really starting to piss me off. I have so many other dvds I need to buy for the first time I don't need to go back and buy something again because they wanted to rush some inferior version out the door and make a fast buck when they know they are going to be putting out a better version in a couple of months. If they would come out and tell you that another version is in the works before they release the first version I would hold off and wait to buy the better version. Good thing I have friends that like horror movies that don't care about all the extras on a dvd so I can just give them the inferior version while I keep the better version.

DefJeff
03-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Well damn, this sucks. I just recently bought The Grudge disc that is out now. I guess what's in those added minutes will determine if I double dip.

I'd actually be really surprised if they added in more gore, as the Japanese ones hardly had any. I think the goriest part of the Juon series was in the American remake, which was the girl missing the bottom of her mouth. Or am I forgetting something?

Stige
03-08-2005, 05:52 PM
oh well toss it in line , behind alien vs predator extreme edition...........maybe i could sell the first versions off to an unsuspecting family member?????

Deus Ex Machina
03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Well damn, this sucks. I just recently bought The Grudge disc that is out now. I guess what's in those added minutes will determine if I double dip.

I'd actually be really surprised if they added in more gore, as the Japanese ones hardly had any. I think the goriest part of the Juon series was in the American remake, which was the girl missing the bottom of her mouth. Or am I forgetting something?

I think there's stuff like:

When the husband kills the wife he breaks her neck and she dies making that throatty sound

and:

The husband was hung by the wife's hair and the kid was pushing him into the wall making the thumping on the wall with his feet (ala Ju-On 2)

fceurich39
03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
will not double dip

Anthropophagus
03-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Greedy attempt by film studios to get the most revenue from mediocre films. The Grudge bored me to tears, would not even bother renting either version, much less buy. Sarah Michelle Gellar may be hot, but she has all the acting talent of Carrot Top.

thrashard76
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm glad I waited on this one. I'll get the uncut one later on.

VideoViolence
03-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Good thing I didn't buy the PG-13 version already. I held off, pretty sure an uncut or longer version would be coming out.

Vincent Pina
03-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Here's a tip on the extra material thanks to bloody-disgusting.
WARNING: SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Our boy NanaharaShuya writes:

Alright, I just got back tonight from watching what can affectionately be called 'THE JUON' here in Japan. I posted before that it was going to be UNCUT and let me tell you IT was. Rather than rehash the entire film again I will just give you a run down of what was new. Take notes..hahah

1. After Bill Pullman's Death we Focus on his dead face and the eyeball on the pavement has slightly popped out looking like a white gum drop.

2. The Old senile lady when she meets Yoko (caretaker) is messing with tape and her fingers are covered in blood.

3. Later SarahMichelle shows up and sees the bandaged fingers as well. Its a new plot point I believe showing that she was the one who locked Toshio in the closet.

4. During the Open House the sister hears things and finds a cat figurine in Toshio's closet as well as remnants of his drawings.

5. During the American couples first night in the house the wife hears the clatter of what she believes to be the mother but is really Toshio.

6. They show a bit of Jason Behr working and studying before a recently discharge SMG shows up at his work.

7. Ted Raimi meeting Yoko jawless in the hallway is extended and she even stretches back quite a bit to show down her throat quite a lot.

8. The Bill Pullman scene where he shows up at the house and finds Ayako's body is longer. She falls out of the closet and we stay on her for quite a while. She seems to follow him throughout the room. Her neck is making crunching noises.

9. The thumping that you hear from the hanging body in the next room reveals that Toshio is pushing his fathers feet into the wall and that's why we have the sound! I thought this visual was pretty eerie.

10. Here is what makes the uncut uncut. The father killing his family scene. He grabs Ayako and semi strips her and grabs her by the throat and in his rage twists her head to an almost 360 and it splinters and cracks as she spits blood.
The 'aaaaaaaacckkkk' sound is from her dying as her throat is distended. Toshio views the ENTIRE thing! This reveals why
he is always bug eyed when on the stairwell looking down because this is where he was sitting.

11. As SMG is saving her comatose hubby we see more of the family death. It looks as if he cuts the cats throat in the tub and then he slams its carcass against the tub walls. We then actually see Toshio being drowned. He even has a moment where he looks at his father before he dunks him in. Then there are jump cuts of where the father placed their corpses. These spots end up being where they congregate. Toshio is dead in his closet along with his mother in the attic.

12. I believe in the US version SMG yells at Jason Behr 'not to look at her'...in this version the dialogue wasnt there.
When Ayako is giving him the staredown of death.

13. In the aftermath of the fire we see a POV from SMG point of view in the ambulance as well as firefighters performing their jobs on the house.

Thats it...after that everything is as it was in the cut version. The funny thing here is that Shimizu said this one would be more open ended with less resolution but it was just the opposite. If anything this version explains a lot MORE than you would expect.

Im going to attach the urls below of pics of the booklet and the promo items sheet of what you can buy with the film. Including are cool little cameras you can click thru and view pics from all the films! Enjoy

Your man in Japan

-NanaharaShuya 'Mark'"

eric_angelus
03-09-2005, 06:48 PM
Cool. I can't wait. Yeah I will have to double buy...but it is not like I have not done it before...

John Gargo
03-09-2005, 07:50 PM
You know, those extended scenes actually sound really good...

Jimbo
03-09-2005, 08:43 PM
I dont think i will get it.I bought the first release and did not find it to be all that enjoyable.
But,this being said.I think i am going to stop buying these new releases period.Just about every time they rehash another version or sp ed etc..And i am not impressed with the way we are getting this surge of shit editions.

maskull
03-11-2005, 06:37 PM
those added scenes do sound cool. I had no desire to buy the new version as I never double dip, but maybe I will. i guess that's what Ebay is for.

I really wish they would let us know about special editions coming out after an original release. it's annoying buying a movie and then wishing that you'd waited for the UNcut version.

vns0669s
03-15-2005, 12:04 AM
After Seeing Ju-on,the Grudge Was A Waste Of Time,and Seven Extra Minutes Of Footage,will Not Change That.

shift
03-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Great follow up. thanks

Peter Vincent
03-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Shoulda waited damn it!!! :(

onebyone
03-23-2005, 06:54 PM
Shoulda waited damn it!!! :(

That is how I felt too. I was able to trade The Grudge pretty well, but still I feel puck'd. This makes me very iffy on getting The Boogeyman on dvd right away, just in case they try this again.

thrashard76
03-23-2005, 07:08 PM
And you just know they will onebyone.