PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a bad Suspiria experience ?

Yowie
09-09-2001, 09:14 AM
The bad "Opera" standard disc is my first bad experience with any DVD, and since it apparently plays fine for some of you and not with others, it looks like a luck of the draw. Now the big question is if anyone out there have had a bad case of "Suspiria" yet ?. (-I've heard this movie have problems too.) And in particular the LE, as I'd like to decide soon if I should terminate the mutha (that's the order), or take the chance with it. Those who've gotten a faulty one; is it anything like the severeness of the "Opera" ****-up ?. Thanks guys.

betterdan
09-09-2001, 10:10 AM
The only bad experience I've had with Suspiria is that both the damn Best Buys here won't sell me it until the 11th.:mad: Sorry i just had to get that out.

Suicide
09-09-2001, 02:36 PM
My Suspiria plays fine. But I haven't watched the documentary yet. But disc one, and the Goblin soundtrack are perfect.

skinnypuppy6
09-09-2001, 10:23 PM
PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!:)

Yowie
09-10-2001, 12:12 AM
Thanks, I hope keeping the order will be the right decision. I was beginning to wonder about AB, you see. Hope we don't have to be nervous every time we buy one of their new DVDs from now on. -Every horror fans' nightmare: bad AB DVDs.

keith70
09-11-2001, 06:43 AM
I don't think you'll have to worry about Suspiria. I got mine today and already went through it. The film looks awesome, but the sound is amazing. I need to upgrade my system now. I really feel AB did the best they could with this release. I have no complaints at all. Very happy.:D
The closest I could come to a complaint would be to say that the easter egg on disc one is too easy. It was the first thing I watched. The main menu made me happy. Very cool. Very trippy.:cool:

Yowie
09-11-2001, 08:24 AM
I forget where you got yours from, keith70 ?. -I'm getting mine from amazon.com, so I hope there won't be any problems. (The reason they haven't shipped it yet is because I have it on a double-order with the "French Connection" box due out later this month.)

keith70
09-11-2001, 08:40 AM
I got mine from Bestprices.com. They've been really cool to me so far. I didn't order Opera. I still can't make up my mind on what to do with that one.

Yowie
09-11-2001, 08:56 AM
I just got word back from the Danish importer where I got my standard "Opera", and according to them there's something wrong with most of the "Opera" discs. Don't know where the heck they got this info, and they could be wrong I suppose, but I'm putting this movie on hold until I hear more. This truly sucks !.

Jeff Clement
09-11-2001, 11:45 PM
Just got Suspiria LE and Opera (standard) from amazon.com. Suspiria works just fine, but Opera doesn't work at all. Looks like I'll have to buy the Opera video version until they fix this problem (don't they check these things before putting them out?)

Junpei
09-13-2001, 06:09 AM
De-lurking to say that I picked up my copy of the Suspiria LE yesterday from my local DVD shop, Laser Blazer. No real problems with the discs. I noticed a couple of oddities (for lack of a better term), though.

Around the 23 minute mark, there's some weird artifacting or jaggies. It only lasts for a few seconds, but it's noticeable.

And when the layer break occurs, there is a noticeable pause. At least on my player. (An Apex AD-600-A)

On the documentary disc, there was a weird moment around the 16 minute mark, with some a transparent yellow block appearing. Went away after a few seconds, and the disc continues to play.

Haven't tried the soundtrack CD yet.

As for the movie itself... WOW! AB has outdone themselves with this one. I just wish they would have put some of the extras on the documentary disc. It almost seems like a waste having just the documentary on there by itself...

Fantastic job by AB. Kudos to them for a job (mostly) well done! Now if they'd get on those problems with Terror At The Opera...

Werner Von Wallenrod
09-13-2001, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I had a bad Suspira experience... I left the country to study abroad at an all-girls' dancing school (not such a bad experience so far, but it gets worse), and it turned out a killer was on the loose, and the faculty was a coven of witches.
You know, you think it's scary when you're watching the movie, but, really, you have no idea.

Jason25
09-13-2001, 07:55 AM
Poor Werner, haha

Se7en
09-13-2001, 09:07 AM
Well... Suspiria On a PS2... The movie turns into "green" with pixels in between chapter 6 going to 7. Even if you hit the main menu button it'll remain that pixel green throughout.

How you can get around it, is by reloading and starting from chapter 7 fresh. Works perfectly after that.

With Opera on a PS2... The movie starts going into pixels and stops while going from chapter 10 to 11. Then it doesn't read the disk. If you choose anything after chapter 12 it doesn't read the disk. I chose the peephole chapter and it said no disk was in the drive.

But it ain't the dvds. It's the player. Atleast in my case. It works fine on my acer 16X DVD-ROM. I need to buy a real dvd player :)

Peter Vincent
09-13-2001, 05:10 PM
...That's inconvenient as hell (the PS2 process of N-joying Suspiria). Anywayz...

I know this'll sound weird & i don't know if U covered this in another thread, but some DVDs simply will malfuntion in SOME DVD players!!!

I speak because I KNOW! I have a 1st generation RCA 5500 model & it plays ALMOST everything. Which ones DON'T work U ask?

Evil Dead: SE - Won't display still photos (goes to initial screen as if I had pressed 'Stop'.

Dinosaur: SE - Movie Freezes on the 2nd to last chapter of the film. Picture stays on screen unless I turn the power off on my player.

Meanwhile my $100 Apex player in my bedroom plays both DVD 100% through. (also plays Dragon's Lair I & II WITHOUT any pauses whatsoever...I have yet to see another player do that!) Now my APEX el cheapo player does not play....

Carnosaur Trilogy - Meaning ALL 3 movies. It just gives me the 'parental lock...enter password' screen. BELIEVE ME when I say I DO NOT have any type of parental lock on that player. Yet the Carnosaurs play fine on the RCA (go figure).

Lastly (I know this got pretty long), the DVD-ROM on my computer (Pioneer 16X) plays all my DVDs so far except....

Independence Day - Gets all the way to the menu screen and literally 'freezes' the screen. I have to reboot!

Bottom line and as illogical as it may sound, certain DVDs work on certain players, and that's coming from a guy with THREE players! I just hope my Suspiria:LE (which I haven't gotten in the mail yet) works on my main player!

flesh-huntr
09-16-2001, 07:38 PM
My GE 1105P will not play SUSPERIA after the 'BARB WIRE ROOM' scene. I found the regular edition before I was able to find the LE, so I have both and they BOTH freeze up in the same place. I'm going to hold on to these to see what AB is going to do since I've already returned 3 copies of OPERA back to Best Buy. I just gave up on that f'n thing and got something else.

I may be completely off base here, but these are the only AB disks that I've seen that have THX OPTIMIZER featured. Could this have anything to do with anything?

Andrew
09-16-2001, 07:45 PM
Nah, Evil Dead II and Maniac have the Optimizer too. A bunch of others, but those are what popped into my head.

thrillkillkub
09-17-2001, 03:00 AM
i just purchesd 'Opera' last night from Suncoast, and, of course, it didnt work. i took it back today, and the clerk told me that while the single edition has been reported to have problems, the limited edition is supposedly trouble free. im gonna order the special edition online, so ill know the truth soon enuf.

suspiria
09-17-2001, 04:27 AM
My standard Opera doesn't work on any of my DVD Players but works fine on my Pioneer DVD-ROM drive. Amazon have refuned me the cost of the disc without needing me to return it which is nice. Suspiria LE works totally fine though.

Wermode
09-18-2001, 12:05 AM
My PS2 had the yellow-pixel problem at the end of chapter 6, too, but hitting the search button for a second will speed past the problem, and the rest of the dvd is fantastic.

As for the Opera dvd, I had three different discs of the standard edition, all unreadable after a few chapters. The dvd in the LE works fine though. Go figure.

Doombear
09-19-2001, 12:13 PM
I had a bad VHS experience with Suspiria. A year or so ago, I bought the Widescreen Suspiria on eBay. The seller said it was the Magnum version, but when it arrived it was clearly the Fox Lorber version, which isn't considered as good quality. Thankfully I have the Suspiria SE DVD now, which is great to look at.

NickyDoyle
09-19-2001, 10:43 PM
I've had the same problem w/ Suspiria on my PS2. Sorta pisses you off when you have to wait an extra week (because of the fucking terrorist attack) and seeing that.

thrashard76
09-22-2001, 08:00 AM
I have had problems with both Suspiria LE and Opera LE. The Opera LE wouldn't work in my PS2 or computer. It played through the opening Anchor Bay screen and then nothing. The Suspiria LE plays up to the finger nail painting scene and then "wham", it gets real pixilated. Colored blocks all over the place with a faint outline of the actual movie still in progress. The sound seemed ok though. If you try to skip scenes up or back afterwards it continues to be pixilated. The only thing I can do to remedy the situation is reboot the PS2 and then skip that one scene. Everything is fine from then on. This is just totally destroys the time I plan on spending watching the movie because it's always the same problem.
Does anyone know if Anchor Bay will recall the Suspiria LE movie disks? They should because there are more people than just me upset at this outrageous disaster. I own lots of non-problematic Anchor Bay movies but Suspiria and Opera are the first ones in which I am truly disgusted with the final product. Some kind of action must be made. For those who have a clean copy, Congrats!

Yowie
09-28-2001, 10:49 AM
Just received the "Suspiria" LE and it works like a dream. Hail Satan !. "Opera" is cancelled though, for the store's been checking them out and all failed the test. -I've had it with that movie, I'm waiting for the new pressings. This thread can officially die now.

skinnypuppy6
09-28-2001, 09:14 PM
mine does not play perfect in my psx2 but plays perfect in my dvd player go figure

keith70
09-29-2001, 04:07 AM
Hey ThrillKillKub, you might want to wait on ordering the LE of Opera. I purchased the Limited Edition and it will not play. My Panasonic won't recognize the disc. I put it in my region free player and it showed the FBI warning and the AB sailboat and then stopped.

As for Suspiria, I don't have any problems. The layer switch is at the barbed wire scene so maybe that's why your machine is having problems. AB discs are the only ones I have that pause for about half a second during the layer switch. The only other dvd I've had do this that was not an AB disc was The Corruptor.

mgfred
09-30-2001, 10:40 PM
Couple of things to mention, the SE & LE of Suspiria & Opera are the same discs as far as the first (possibly defective) disk goes. What seperates the editions are the 2cd and in the case of Suspiria 3rd disk. I all of Anchor Bay's LE's the main movie disks are the same.

I have a APEX AD-600A (mfg 1/2000) both Opera and Suspiria work fine for me, my friend bcSe7en has neither work on his PS2 but both work on his DVD Rom.

Anchor Bay will probably recall Suspiria, from the posts everywhere it does look like there are problems depending on the DVD player used for playback.

Rainbowthief
10-04-2001, 07:09 AM
Thanks goodness the Suspiria SE I bought from Amazon works beautifully on my Sony DVP S300.

thrashard76
10-04-2001, 07:42 AM
A recall would be appropriate for the Suspiria disks messing up. Mine still doesn't work like it supposed to.

When will we finally get our Opera replacements?

Still, I can't wait for Bad Taste LE to hit the shelves!