PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Baby

mazzariniuk
09-09-2001, 11:00 PM
Just finished watching this for the second time. I rather enjoyed it this time around, when I first watched it I was slightly bored. But this time it was great, the late Christopher Connelly was good as usual. Opinions on this film from the rest of you?

Yowie
09-09-2001, 11:30 PM
I think it's better than what people usually say about it. It's got a lot of fine looking scenery, like the Egypt stuff with the girl when she's lost. Also good are the scenes in the antiqueshop. The bad elements are the dubbing (especially the boy), the re-using of old Fulci music (total mistake), and the irritating John Holmes-lookalike back from "City Of The Living Dead". Some have also wondered about the title, but I think the "baby" just refers to the girl. In other words, it's quite entertaining Fulci "nonsense".

Jason25
09-09-2001, 11:32 PM
I liked it, not great but enjoyable. I think it gets bashed unfairly.

boyd1955
09-10-2001, 11:40 AM
Sorry but "Manhattan Baby" , in my opinion, is like a bad TV movie with a badly done gore scene thrown in. No tension. No atmosphere. No good.

Werner Von Wallenrod
09-11-2001, 05:16 AM
Manhattan Baby gets the official Werner Seal of Approval
(for what that's worth)

RyanPC
07-11-2004, 03:54 AM
I just watched this film for the first time, and I gotta say I think it's the worst Fulci film I've ever seen (but keep in mind I haven't seen very many and I do like Fulci a hell of a lot). In fact, there was very little I did like about the movie, aside from the good cinematography in the desert. The Frizzi score is comprised for the most part of tracks from other films he's done for Fulci (featured most prominently are recognizable tunes from Zombie and The Beyond), but the original stuff that's there is good. However, what really ruined the film for me is how dull and sloppily put together the whole thing is. For one thing, Manhattan Baby is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW. I almost found myself falling asleep, which is something I rarely do when watching a Fulci film. The first ten minutes or so were interesting, but it just went down from there. The plot was enough to make me want to shake Sacchetti and ask him why he even wrote this mess of a screenplay... it's all over the place and in the end comes off as a cheap imitation of The Beyond. There are some nice gore effects on display, although it's suprisingly tame (for Fulci) and the rest of the special effects are extremely lackluster - even towards the end, during a bird attack sequence, you can clearly see the strings holding the birds up in the air. For those of you out here who actually like this movie, well I don't know what to say. But for you Fulci fans who have yet to see this, all I can do is warn you to keep away - far, far away! :(

Rating: 1.5/5

Crystal Plumage
07-11-2004, 01:11 PM
I always wondered why the blinded guy wore sunglasses:confused: ...perhaps to show us the crew??;)

h. simon kittay
07-11-2004, 01:26 PM
the first i saw this movie i didn't like it at all. but now i really wanna see it again, and i will soon. maybe it's like the black cat, which i didn't like at first, but now think it's a pretty good film.

in general i noticed that i really had to learn apreciating italian movies. i was first atracted to it for it's gore, but when i started to watch spaghetti westerns and giallo's i thought all of them were boring and badly made. it took me some time before i started to like them and now i'm a big big giallo and s. western fan.

so i will give m. baby a serious, second change...