PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on "FINAL EXAM"?

WesReviews
09-11-2001, 12:58 AM
I've never seen it, but I've heard about it at various websites. Some say it's not bad, others really don't care for this slasher all that much. What do you all say about FINAL EXAM?

Hellbilly
09-11-2001, 06:03 PM
...is a sorry excuse for a slasher. poorly directed and acted, no gore whatsover. it's kinda like a tv-movie, boring as hell.:mad:

Hellbilly
05-22-2002, 09:13 PM
I hope you don't mind rhett! :D

rhett
05-22-2002, 11:42 PM
That message was posted on 9/11, around the same time the buildings went down too. So America is up in smoke and you are busy bashing Final Exam. :D

Final Exam is awesome, one of my favorite slashers.

Joel Groce
05-23-2002, 06:08 AM
This one actually has actors that you care about making it much more involving - yeah I dug it if a little too "Halloween". I love how it kicks in also - definitely from the "golden age" of slashers!

rhett
05-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Word up Joel, you're my new best friend! :)

This film has to be the best cheese slasher to come out in the early 80's. The "Wildman" and his pranks are classic. I am into the 80's teen movies like Porky's and Spring Break and FE combined some of the great pranks from those films with the plot of Halloween to make a rip-off with some comedy to get through the traditionally dull midsection of most slasher films.

Hellbilly
05-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by rhett
That message was posted on 9/11, around the same time the buildings went down too. So America is up in smoke and you are busy bashing Final Exam.
I remember posting before I knew anything about the terror act?
Sad times.

rhett
05-23-2002, 08:30 PM
Yeah, it is very sad that you don't enjoy Final Exam. :)

Hellbilly
05-23-2002, 08:37 PM
I do enjoy bashing Final Exam. :D

WesReviews
05-29-2002, 08:14 PM
I e-mailed MGM about releasing Final Exam with The Town That Dreaded Sundown as one of their Midnite Movies Double Features, as well as suggested other titles for Special Edition/Midnite Movies treatment.

They e-mailed me back and thanked me for the imput and also forwarded my suggestions to the higher-ups. So maybe we'll see something next year, regarding some of MGM's forgotten slashers also asked for Hospital Massacre and Killer Party to be released as a Double Feature).

rhett
05-29-2002, 08:37 PM
Cool news Wes, I hope that double feature materializes. The Town That Dreaded Sundown is great, too bad Ben Johnson was only in two slasher movies (this one and Terror Train), because it seems like every one he's in turns to gold!

Hellbilly
05-29-2002, 09:21 PM
Hey, that's great Wes. I guess I would give FE another try if it should ever get a DVD release. :D

thrashard76
05-29-2002, 11:13 PM
I definitely want to pick this up if and when MGM will give it a proper release.

Those Midnite Movies (double features) can't have much in the way of extras. What are some of the extras on the upcoming releases?

horrorlover
06-02-2002, 09:02 PM
I thought final exam was a pretty good movie, I just picked it up the other day at a used video store. sure it copied from Halloween and Friday the 13th, but still it was entertaining. If you can find a used copy on video it would be worth picking up, it's been out of print for a long time though so it might be hard to find, I think I just lucked out in finding my copy. Although if it might come out on dvd anytime soon it might be worth waiting for that, but right now I don't think there's any plans to release it on dvd

wago70
06-03-2002, 06:13 PM
Final Exam is surprisingly well-made - the photography is slick and the actors are pretty decent (the actress who plays Lisa is quite good) the direction may be a tad pedestrian and there is little visual style on display, but Final Exam entertains...and sticks to its slasher roots almost by the numbers. Why, I'll never forget seeing this on my birthday when it came out...it played a double bill with Prom Night at an indoor theater at out local mall (yes, it played double bills on opening day). There were 5 people in the theater for the 5:00-ish show and another ten people for Prom Night - pretty slow for a Friday evening, but Prom Night had already played cable and regular TV by then (yeah, a mere seven months after it came out!!!). When we stepped out, there was a line clear down back to the ticket booth for Final Exam's late show and mostly of college kids...how I wished I had watched it with them. Slashers, school campuses and screaming heroines...it was a perfect, warm July night.

rhett
06-03-2002, 08:26 PM
That sounds like it would have been awesome Wago. I wish we had some vintage theaters here that still played double bills and drive-in flicks.

For a slasher, Final Exam is technically well made, and the rest is pure cheese. Nothing to take seriously, just a fun little diversion.

WesReviews
02-24-2004, 05:17 PM
Well, through a little investigation I've been conducting as to who owns what slashers that have yet to be released on DVD, one thing I have discovered is that FINAL EXAM is not owned by MGM.

This is pretty disappointing, as I was hoping we'd someday get a big slashers batch from MGM.

My source says he suspects that the producers probably got the rights back at some point.

The good news is, with the producers owning it, it would make it fair game for Blue Underground or Anchor Bay. So, just why has no one made a move to release this slasher fave?

Cujo108
02-24-2004, 08:47 PM
That sucks. Oh well, MGM still owns plenty of other slashers I'm dying for, so hopefully the slasher line I suggested will materialize this Fall. Final Exam is a great little slasher, definitely one of my favorites. I love the campus atmosphere in this film, don't know why, I just do. The film is a bit creepy, and loads of fun. I really like the way they made the killer as well. Hopefully this will see the light of day on DVD soon.

WesReviews
02-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Finally watched my copy of Final Exam...

LOVED IT.

It does run a little long at first. Timing things, after the first two killings happen at the beginning, the next killing doesn't occur until after th 55-minute mark.

However, after that 55 or so minute mark, the killings happen so frequently and were so impressively-done that I didn't mind. The film actually managed to pull off some good suspense toward the end.

Oh, and the hour before things really gets going alows for some humor, as well as nice character moments. You really get to spend time with this cast, and once they are killed, you feel for them.

Very nice little slasher, this one. :)

RyanPC
06-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Final Exam no longer sucks. There, I said it.

Actually, it was pretty damn good. Technically, I suppose, the film is awful and lacks even the rudimentary characteristics of a good slasher film; so sue me. I really enjoyed this movie! So what if we never find out the identity of the killer or what his motivation is; the same is true about Black Christmas and that is considered a CLASSIC of the genre (and it is). So what if the first 80 minutes of Final Exam are filled with what John Stanley referred to as "idle chatter designed as character development", and so what if the last ten minutes are when the whole "stalker on the loose" theme comes to a head. It is a fun movie, no matter how hard it is for me to admit that. I'm glad I own the VHS, but I hope it never ever hits DVD so I'll have at least ONE valuable VHS tape. ;)

I'm not always so forgiving. There are some slashers that I will NEVER take the time to watch again (The Prey, anyone?).

IGotsNewShoes
06-24-2006, 03:58 AM
The best part of Final Exam is the obviously gay male who has a super crush on the lead actress.....I think he wanted her wardrobe.

RyanPC
06-24-2006, 04:10 AM
The best part of Final Exam is the obviously gay male who has a super crush on the lead actress.....I think he wanted her wardrobe.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I REALLY liked his dialogue: "I can't help it; I'm brilliant!"

killnstalk
06-24-2006, 04:41 AM
yeah Raddish is cool.i so wish his would finally get a dvd release

Hellbilly
06-24-2006, 05:37 AM
There are some slashers that I will NEVER take the time to watch again (The Prey, anyone?).
The Prey was one of the first movies that made me laugh because of the unintentional humor. Fell in love with that film right away. I wish AB could track down the unrated print and release this cheesy gem on DVD.
Final Exam however never "clicked" with me. I was bored to tears on my first viewing. I would give this another chance though, if it ever made it to DVD .... which we all know won't ever happen ... :D

wago70
06-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Radish is cool, and did have a "way" about him. I was more curious about Wildman...he liked to get awful close to that poor pledge.

Devo1313
06-26-2006, 06:49 PM
A fine slasher of the era. I have 2 videos copies and the soundtrack LP and movie posters. Very fun little film. Raddish is pretty fun and has a Corpse Grinders poster on the wall. Kind of wished he would have lived in the film. He could have been the hero of the film.
Do like this film alot. Should have been on DVD years ago. Maybe some dink little DVD company who puts 10 or 50 PD titles on one set will release it.

Wayne Manor
06-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Quoth Brad from the dead Code Red thread "(The rights are) owned by mobsters. I don't think anyone wants to deal with them."

walkingdude
06-26-2006, 11:23 PM
I'm with Billy on this one.Final Exam is shit.When we were teens this was the throw in VHS when we made trades.Is there cut and uncut versions of it?Maybe I'm missing something but I doubt it.Give me The Prey any day.

YottNik
06-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Final Exam is one of those flicks I've always wanted to see but part of me assumes it's total crap. Sort of like Splatter University, which I saw for the first time recently. I'd been looking forward to it and then, wow, what a disappointment.

Although Final Exam can't possibly be as bad as Splatter U.... can it?

walkingdude
06-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Final Exam is one of those flicks I've always wanted to see but part of me assumes it's total crap. Sort of like Splatter University, which I saw for the first time recently. I'd been looking forward to it and then, wow, what a disappointment.

Although Final Exam can't possibly be as bad as Splatter U.... can it?
I would watch Splatter U 50 times before watching Final Exam again.

YottNik
06-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I would watch Splatter U 50 times before watching Final Exam again.
Wow.

I would rather drink a gallon of bleach before watching Splatter U again.

walkingdude
06-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Wow.

I would rather drink a gallon of bleach before watching Splatter U again.
Ok I'll take the bleach too.

RyanPC
06-27-2006, 12:57 AM
Final Exam is a million times better than Splatter University.

walkingdude
06-27-2006, 01:02 AM
Final Exam is a million times better than Splatter University.
A million times zero is still zero.:lol:
At least Splatter U was laughable.Final Exam was deathly boring with zero blood and gore.I'd rather watch paint dry.I might even prefer soccer to watching that poop.

YottNik
06-27-2006, 01:43 AM
I might even prefer soccer to watching that poop.
Now you're just talking crazy.

walkingdude
06-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Now you're just talking crazy.
:lol: True true.I'll just stick to the World Cup thread.It's much more entertaining then the actual game.;)

FilmFiend
06-27-2006, 03:58 AM
My public library surprisingly has Final Exam on VHS. It is on the old Embassy label.

killnstalk
06-27-2006, 07:18 AM
i love final exam and the prey + enjoy splatter u a lot

wago70
06-27-2006, 04:51 PM
I have the paperback book of FINAL EXAM. If you think the movie has slow parts...the book REALLY drags. However, the killer's identity is never given. You don't even get inside the killer's head like novelization of "Halloween".
Now about the artwork - the re-issued VHS and one-sheet poster have the "Friday the 13th"-inspired silloutte holding the knife. However, the soundtrack vinyl and my newspaper clippings from 1981 have a bloody knife sticking out of a Psychology book. I like that art much better.

Wayne Manor
06-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Wago, who's the author of that novelization of "Final Exam"?

wago70
07-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Wago, who's the author of that novelization of "Final Exam"?
It's written by Geoffrey Meyer. Sorry - just saw this! Good hunting! My copy is pretty shabby - I need a new one...but I've not seen this anyplace since I bought it in 1981!:confused:
Radish is really in love with Courtney! I find that hard to believe in the movie version...

blood vamp
10-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Imo Final Exam pales next to the Mutilator.

wago70
10-23-2007, 07:16 AM
It's a matter of opinion...MUTILATOR was okay but arrived a bit late. I saw FINAL EXAM in theaters on July 10, 1981. I saw MUTILATOR sometime in early '86 (upon recognizing it as the opening credits rolled as a film once called FALL BREAK as seen in Fangoria Magazine). To me, MUTILATOR was too much, too late. FINAL EXAM wasn't the most exciting movie...even I yawned a little hoping the feature would finish so I could see the 2nd feature (PROM NIGHT). I suppose I appreciate both now...with a decided preference for the 1981 FINAL EXAM.

Demon
10-23-2007, 08:13 AM
I remember seeing the VHS artwork for Final Exam and getting all excited then the movie was a snoozefest...one of the worst slashers I've seen from that time period...hell it really isn't even a slasher, lets call it a SNOOZER!

wago70
10-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Hehehe - for an R-rated slasher, there's also a lack of effects. Looking at it, it's a well-made film - very nicely photograped. I've always liked the campus location, too. Almost didn't recognize Sherry Willis-Burch who went on to play jokester "Vivia" in KILLER PARTY.
The paperback actually fleshes the characters more. I don't recall a backstory to the killer, either.

RyanPC
10-23-2007, 05:08 PM
I HATED Final Exam the first time I watched it, but I watched it again and I actually like it now. Once I knew what to expect -- endless chatter, lack of suspense, bloodless killings, random killer -- it didn't bother me so much. It's not one of the great slashers, but I think it's fun and kind of charming in its own way.

wago70
10-23-2007, 05:22 PM
After the effects-laden and shock-inducing FRIDAY THE 13TH, why would any self-respecting low-budget slasher try to go for HALLOWEEN's more subtle nuances????? Especially without the skill of John Carpenter or without charismatic young actors and a tight script?
Oh well. I wouldn't have even noticed the feature had it not been on Sneak Previews as a Dog-of-the-Week. The camera panned over the one-sheet poster and I was intrigued. Had to wait a few months for the film to reach Reno, but what-the-hey.

blood vamp
05-16-2008, 11:12 PM
I liked the last 20 minutes of Final Exam, the rest is boring imo.

Devo1313
05-17-2008, 02:06 AM
I liked FInal Exam and even own the movie poster,sdtk. LP,Aus. daybill,etc. Well made little slasher film lightyears ahead of the dreck being peddled today like the Camp Blood terribleness. Give me Final Exam anyday. Anyone character with a Corpse Grinders poster on his wall is okay in my book.