PDA

View Full Version : The Cat O'Nine Tails

mazzariniuk
09-11-2001, 01:39 PM
Dario Argento's THE CAT O'NINE TAILS is for me his most rewarding film, the acting is first rate James Franciscus and Karl Malden are a real treat, they lift the film with their great double act. Ennio Morricone's score is wonderful, and cinematographer Erico Menczer's camera work adds real scope to the film.

My top 5 Dario movies...

1. THE CAT O'NINE TAILS

2. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA

3. TENEBRAE

4. DEEP RED

5. THE STENDHAL SYNDROME

keith70
09-11-2001, 05:49 PM
Cat O' Nine Tails is a pretty good Argento flick. Just don't expect the type of music you normally get in his other flicks. The pacing is more traditional for a movie from the early 70's. There's very little violence or gore since this was a PG movie. Or as the trailer and poster insert say "GP".
I liked it, but of course I've liked everything I've seen from Argento. No, I haven't seen Phantom of the Opera. Everyone has talked me out of it, which only makes it a little bit more tempting. But I'll probably never watch it, since nobody seems to like it.
I don't know why people bad mouth Stendhal or Trauma. I can't wait for the dvd.

As for Two Evil Eyes, I haven't seen it either, but I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

Andrew
09-11-2001, 09:14 PM
I've liked every Argento movie I've seen A LOT, but I've yet to see his "bombs" (Phantom... comes to mind).

I thought Cat O' Nine Tales was really good, not as good as BirdWTCP or some of his later films, but still highly enjoyable. It was funny, before watching the movie I read Leonard Maltin's review that said "full of graphic gore and sex". Umm my ass :D! Some ugly ass titties don't count for graphic sex! Still cool flick though, and I'll watch it again........and again.....

keith70
09-11-2001, 10:45 PM
Even though there's not much in the was of violence. That final death scene made me cringe a little. Anyone who's experience severe rope burn knows that had to hurt.

Andrew
09-11-2001, 11:21 PM
Ouch! I know! Woulda hurt like a bitch!

I think that scene with the chick getting strangled where she spits out foamy blood is gross too. Just thought I'd mention it ;).

Jason25
09-12-2001, 02:36 AM
Great film, not nearly his best in my mind, Deep Red is my favorite, but very good. Phantom on the other hand......

skinnypuppy6
09-13-2001, 03:10 AM
come on now, I like phantom it's not a "true" Argento but its pretty good version of that old story thats been filmed many times. with out a doubt it's argento's worst film, but it's still worth watching every once and a while:)

skinnypuppy6
09-13-2001, 03:12 AM
cat o' nine tails is a very good film with a good ending.. ouch!!!

Yowie
09-13-2001, 05:31 PM
Well, I must admit it's my favorite Argento too. And yes, I think it's way better than "Bird...". -There was just something wrong with "Bird...", in my opinion. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I found it a bit hectic, maybe it was because it was his first and so he's forgiven. (I haven't forgiven him for the way he often treats animals in his movies though.) Whatever it was, he got it right with "Cat...". (-And thankfully left out any more idiotic cat-eaters.) You're ever so right about the cast and the music, mazzariniuk. It's a very underrated film, God knows why Argento doesn't like it. His earliest films had a more "normal" look to them that I like, compared to some of his later more surreal ones, like "Suspiria". (I like all his styles though.) My Top-5 Argento: 1. Cat... 2. Deep Red. 3. Suspiria. 4. Tenebre. 5. Inferno.

Wermode
09-18-2001, 11:27 PM
I've always wondered why Argento dislikes Cat o' Nine Tails. Anybody know? I would guess it's because it's so conventional; it could play as a Hollywood movie from the time, because it doesn't seem to make as many demands on the viewer. At the same time, it isn't quite so dreamlike, mythical to me. Still, I really like Cat o' Nine Tails; it's just different.

As long as we're ranking, here goes: 1)Opera 2)Tenebre 3)Phenomena 4)Susperia 5)Stendhall Syndrome

Doombear
09-22-2001, 11:53 PM
The Phantom disc is out of print, so get it while you can. I'm not sure if Anchor Bay or Image will try to pick up the rights. I really liked the Phantom video trailer that uses the Smiths "How Soon Is Now" music.

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 11:51 AM
As much as I don't like 'Top Ten' lists, I'm glad to see that The Stendhal Syndrome & Phantom Of The Opera are up there on some people's best thing lists.
However, anything at all to do with The Smiths is a no no, & also inappropriate, and contradictory to a story about the Phantom Of The Opera.

Cat O'Nine Tails had some really witty moments woven into it's giallo fabric. I think that L'Uccello was a better giallo than either Cat, or Four Flies On Grey Velvet - but Cat O'Nine Tails was still an excellent movie. The train scene in Torino central station is still a shocker, and also the AndrewBBD's mention of the strangulation scene with the slobbering - really harsh & nobody ever gives it a mention. Incidentally, this scene was cut for video release in Italy.

Thumbs-up to Mazzariniuk for mentioning the score & cinematography which make Cat look & sound so lush.
Also good to see a very pre-Cannibal Apocalypse - Cinzia de Carolis, who later turned into a little vixen. (I'm still jealous of John Saxon for that one.)

piggwinn
09-26-2001, 02:54 PM
I'm amazed anyone likes "Phatom of the Opera". I have all his discs to date, and could not put my Phantom disc among them. I got about four watches out of the admitidly decent dvd, and was horrified how poor the film was and sold it sharpish incase a mate saw it and said "Lets watch it . "NonHoSonno", was a massive relief and has restored my appetite for his next piece of art.

BlazingMagnum
09-27-2001, 12:48 PM
I don't understand why so many people completely overlook the dark vein of humour present in Phantom Of The Opera.
Dario has been treated to a rough ride for the past twelve years, & many people have pigeonholed him, which is unfair. Okay, Phantom isn't Profondo Rosso, but it does have some great qualities; beautiful cinematography, superb sets & a real sense of fantasy & escapism - all of which have been thrown by the wayside.
About ten years ago, I noticed that it had become fashionable to crucify anything new which came out of Italy - especially from Argento or Soavi. Everything Michelle Soavi has touched since StageFright has been slandered - which is just plain ignorant & misguided. Maybe these people haven't seen enough films.

keith70
09-27-2001, 05:33 PM
I've put off watching Phantom of the Opera because of all of the negative comments. But I have yet to see an Argento film I didn't like. I still need to see Trauma, but I saw the trailer and it looked like a good film. Stendhal Syndrome is a little slower paced than most of Argento's work, but I still thought it was a good film.

I too don't understand people badmouthing everthing that has come out of Italy in the past ten years. Stendhal was good and so is Dellemorte Dellamore. Plus I think you need to cut Argento some slack. The guy is in his 60's and has quite a few classics under his belt. As long as he keeps making films, I'll be happy.

By the way, his film "Dark Sunglasses" has been cancled. He will start work on another film in March. Hopefully we'll get Nonhosonno released here soon. But it looks doubtful since AB still doesn't have the rights. I just hope Troma doesn't get it.

The Chaostar
09-28-2001, 06:33 PM
Phantom is very interesting in my opinion. A failure nontheless but very interesting. It is more an "auteur" film than a horror pic and yes, there is much black humour to be found. The sets are indeed rich and Morricone's score is wonderful.

Stendhal is a masterpiece.

Now, let's see if the godamn "Three Mothers" trilogy is going to be completed.....

skinnypuppy6
09-28-2001, 08:12 PM
Now, let's see if the godamn "Three Mothers" trilogy is going to be completed..... .....right on!

Peter Vincent
09-28-2001, 09:22 PM
Me & my uncle in NY have been collecting DVDs since it started in '97. We always call each other & compare notes. I told him I bought 'Suspiria: LE' thinking he probably didn't know about the movie, director, etc. He told me he is very familiar with Argento's work (which surpised me 'cause he likes classic movies like Gone with the Wind & stuff) & his fav Argento flick was none other than Cat 'O Nine Tails!

I gotta rent this flick after readin' this thread!

BlazingMagnum
10-01-2001, 02:48 AM
I assume everybody's checked out Once Upon A Time In The West - a superb piece of cinema & full of Argento-esque set-pieces - and nobody's mentioned 5 Days Of Milan yet. Has anybody else seen it?

keith70
10-01-2001, 03:48 AM
The only version of 5 days of Milan I've seen are in Italian without subtitles. From what I've red on the net, it isn't very good. But you can't always trust other peoples opinions. I would figure Dario would be good at writing a comedy. Once Upon a Time in the West had some humorous lines. Thank God it's coming out on dvd. Now if we could just get Trauma.

Jason25
10-01-2001, 05:26 AM
I really liked Trauma, top notch film

BlazingMagnum
10-01-2001, 09:33 AM
5 days Of Milan isn't an 'Argento fan's' type of movie really. It has nothing whatsoever to do with giallo killers, horror or any of the sort of things that Dario is commonly associated with - which is fine. A political satire of sorts, 5 Days wouldn't necessarily be regarded as 'comedy' by anybody outside of Italy during the seventies - in the same way that any fashionable & comedic political bias just wouldn't be acknowledged anywhere other than the country of origin.