PDA

View Full Version : Which major studio has done best with horror on DVD?

rhett
04-11-2005, 02:24 AM
With Sony's recent buy-out of MGM, there is going to be some major restructuring in the entertainment industry. MGM has long been known for their dedication to the horror genre, with their Midnite Movies line, their AMITYVILLE box set and their various special editions like ROTLD and TLHOTL. But MGM is definitely not alone, as many of the other majors have been very dedicated to the genre as well. So which of the 6 major studios has done the best job of releasing horror films on DVD?

Coverdale
04-11-2005, 02:33 AM
I picked MGM.
2nd place would be Warners.

RyanPC
04-11-2005, 03:24 AM
I went with MGM as well, but it was a hard decision. Warner Bros. has been consistent in putting out excellent horror releases, but MGM's horror output seems to far outweigh Warners, so that's why I went with them.

maskull
04-11-2005, 04:09 AM
MGM
great sets for nice prices like The Amityville Horror.
I also like Warner and Universal. mainly because they both have a lot of movies that I like.

Drayton Sawyer
04-11-2005, 04:15 AM
Definitely MGM.

No one else even comes close imo ...

Spitfire
04-11-2005, 05:03 AM
MGM, by far is the best, all the way.

The Howling SE. Jeepers Creepers. The Fog SE. Silence of the Lambs SE, just to name a few. Universal would be second; Jaws. Chucky Collection. The Thing RE-RElease and their new films like Dawn Unrated have had great treatments and packaging. They also have "Land of the Dead" from George Romero coming out, so that should be a great DVD. Can't wait for that. :fire:

Fox has done well too. Alien Box Set. 28 Days Later. From Hell. Wrong Turn.

But I would put on that list (NEW LINE CINEMA) Freddy vs Jason. Final Destination, Jason X, Blade, Blade 2, Se7ven Platinum Series, T. Chainsaw (2 disc) set.. . . good treatments, visuals, packaging.

Paramount hasn't released anything in Horror that is Full-loaded with extras and amazing visual/audio treatment, so they should be last. However, I did like the Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan, they did a nice job on this set, even though they kept the same audio tracks, the packaging is nice and so are the extras.

Obviously, those studios aside, Anchor Bay and Blue Underground are the best. :fire:

Katatonia
04-11-2005, 05:15 AM
Easily MGM. No other comments necessary from me! :evil:

indiephantom
04-11-2005, 05:48 AM
Means Great Movies

Erick H.
04-11-2005, 08:33 AM
MGM gets my vote for the best of the majors,they really put their catalog movies out more readilly than most of the other guys.They've done some really nice Special Editions and also have fun budget lines like the Midnite Movies,good bang for your buck.

dwatts
04-11-2005, 08:45 AM
I went with Warners. MGM have a good VOLUME of movies, for sure - yes, probably the MOST. However, the QUALITY of the majority of their releases isn't great, imo. For every SE we could name, there are ten or more so-so, or "good". Increasingly I find myself wanting "definitive" releases - too many people seem able to do excellent ones. So ones that are merely "good" or "so so" are passable, but ripe for "double-dipping". Indeed, both The Howling and The Fog demanded second buys for most fans. I'd rather they got it right the first time more often.

Sony having MGM sucks though.

IGotsNewShoes
04-11-2005, 09:13 AM
MGM no doubt....

and who the hell voted Paramount? Get off the drugs please.

tobaccoman
04-11-2005, 03:33 PM
I was about to as a joke, but I restrained myself. It was ripe for the pickings though! I'll go with Universal on this one, even though I don't have many of their better releases.

bigdaddyhorse
04-11-2005, 03:39 PM
and who the hell voted Paramount? Get off the drugs please.

Almost every studio has points in their favor for me, so I can't vote right now.
By almost I mean everyone BUT Paramount, whoever voted for them should be suspended unless they come apologize and explain that it was a joke.
Not a joke? = Banned! :mad: FUCK Paramount!

fceurich39
04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
mgm but i am concerned about the upcoming dvds they had planned
the burning
from beyond
will these be uncut

zombi3
04-11-2005, 04:19 PM
mgm but i am concerned about the upcoming dvds they had planned
the burning
from beyond
will these be uncut

That's a good point!:nervous:
I picked MGM too.

SaviniFan
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
I had to go with MGM. Hopefully Sony treats their library with respect and doesn't sit on some of the titles that we've all been waiting for.

y2doublet
04-11-2005, 07:14 PM
All in all, definitely MGM. I pray they'll continue with their great output now after the Sony takeover has gone through.

fceurich39
04-11-2005, 09:15 PM
i hope sony appreciates mgms quality in putting extras on horror dvds and picture and sound as well

walkingdude
04-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Fox should be given am honorable mention for turning their horror titles over to AB.They'll get the treatment they deserve.

Lawrence_Talbot
04-12-2005, 01:54 AM
I had to go with Universal on this one. The Monster Legacy DVD Gift Set with the
busts of Frankenstein, Dracula, and the Wolfman has to be one of the more comprehenisve presentations ever afforded classic horror films.
That and The Best of Abbott & Costello Volume 3 with Abbott and Costello Meet
Frankenstein and some other choice horror-comedies places Universal number one
with me!

IGotsNewShoes
04-12-2005, 02:19 AM
I was gonna go with Universal, but the fact that they've released none of the Psycho sequels and none of the Phantasm sequels onto DVD kept me from doing so.

walkingdude
04-12-2005, 02:26 AM
I was gonna go with Universal, but the fact that they've released none of the Psycho sequels and none of the Phantasm sequels onto DVD kept me from doing so.
Funny,Goodtimes released Psycho 2 and 3 along with Funhouse and The Sentinel but Universal only came back with the last two.There was no release of Psycho IV.A box set would be nice and the Phantasm sequels.Shoes speaks the truth!

Xtro_13
04-12-2005, 05:21 AM
I went with MGM also. Although I'm still waiting for The Burning to come out on DVD from that damn studio

rhett
04-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Well, it's pretty close so far. Hopefully in a couple more days a true winner will emerge.

IGotsNewShoes
04-12-2005, 06:24 AM
OK someone else voted for Paramount, now I know it's a joke.

Sam
04-12-2005, 07:11 AM
MGM's the clear winner for me.

For old LaserDiscs, I'd have to go with Image. (If they are/were ever big?)

rhett
04-13-2005, 01:26 AM
It is actually kind of ironic that the company with the highest number of votes has been bought out by the company with the lowest amount. That doesn't really bode well for the future...

SaviniFan
04-13-2005, 01:33 AM
Well, it's pretty close so far. Hopefully in a couple more days a true winner will emerge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cujo108
04-13-2005, 05:34 AM
MGM without a doubt. There's still so many films I want from them too. Fuck Sony.

thrashard76
04-13-2005, 07:11 PM
MGM no doubt.

VideoViolence
04-18-2005, 06:20 AM
Mgm All The Way!