PDA

View Full Version : Argento & Fulci

keith70
09-11-2001, 06:00 PM
One thing I've noticed from visiting different horror boards(this one's my fav. by the way:D ) is that people who like Argento tend to bash Fulci and people who like Fulci tend to bash Argento. My question is, why?

I can't compare them because to me they're two different types of directors. It's like comparing DePalma to Carpenter. Yes they have both done horror and action movies. But they're styles are very different.

I would hope I'm not alone in likeing both. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd pick Argento. But I still like Fulci's work. New York Ripper is a damn good film. The imagery from the Beyond will stick in your head like the music from Goblin. And Zombie features the best damn looking zombies I've seen.

As for Argento, I consider his horror to be more horror pop. The music is catchy, the colors are blinding at times and the pacing for the most part is like the ticking of a clock. Argento has said that uses a stopwatch for filming and to me it shows. But I like it.
It's like Jackie Chan uses his fight coreography like dance, but to me it's more impressive than random punching.

If you like Fulci, but hate Argento. Or if you like Argento but hate Fulci. Could you explain why? Also, can you at least say something good about the one you disslike?

Obviously if you hate both, there's no reason to reply.

DefJeff
09-11-2001, 06:23 PM
i love both them , they are my 2 favorite directors.
i think id have to say i like Argento more, because Fulci is mainly gore, with usually no story and good music. In my opinion, Argento has a greater balance with not as much gore (still enough tho), but a better story and GREAT music. thats just my opinon tho, as to why i think Argento is better. but let me say, Fulci is my 2nd favorite director... shit, City of the Living Dead is probly my favorite movie ever :)

Jeff

Andrew
09-11-2001, 09:07 PM
I love Argento, and Fulci's alright. Haven't seen enough Fulci yet (the big three: Beyond, COTLD, Zombie), but I've seen a ton of Argento, and he's probably my favorite.

I loved the Beyond though, and COTLD was pretty cool too. Zombie kinda sucked, but I still like Fulci.

keith70
09-11-2001, 10:49 PM
Try New York Ripper. I was amazed by that film. Good story, good acting, very graphic in both gore and nudity. Although the dubbing is really bad. You can still tell that the acting was good though. This is my opinion Fulci's most impressive work. Of cours I haven't seen many of his films.
But I would definitely give New York Ripper a chance before forming an opinion on Fulci's ability as a director.

And I cannot believe that people like Argento, but don't like Phenomena. Phenomena is easily one of my favorite films, regardless of genre. A solid film as far as I'm concerned.

Andrew
09-11-2001, 11:18 PM
Phenomena is the reason that in the Cat O' Nine Tales post that I did not say I LOVED every one of his films. That in my eyes is his weakest, but like I said, I haven't seen them all.

New York Ripper is on its way to me :D.

mazzariniuk
09-11-2001, 11:27 PM
is a really good film, but I don't think it is the sleaze fest that most people make out. It is certainly Fulci's most polished film.

evildead
09-12-2001, 01:36 AM
I agree I totally like both of them and could not bash one or the other.They both are artistic in there own ways, I continue to enjoy there films.

Jason25
09-12-2001, 02:34 AM
Fulci is my favorite director and I love Argento, he is definitely in my top 5. I don't think it is fair to compare the 2, they have very different styles. I definitely respect both of them and to trash one of them would be idiotic.

Erg0n
09-12-2001, 02:51 AM
I like argento and fulci equally

did they collaborate on a film?

Hellbilly
09-12-2001, 06:23 PM
...The New York Ripper is def. one of Fulcis better films, but The Beyond is still my favorite...i like Fulcis movies, they are always fun and easy to watch.

...i also like Argentos work, and after watching Suspiria on DVD a couple of days ago, i must admit that Suspiria is now my new favorite Argento film.

Fulci and Argento are both cool in my book...:D

DefJeff
09-12-2001, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by keith70

And I cannot believe that people like Argento, but don't like Phenomena. Phenomena is easily one of my favorite films, regardless of genre. A solid film as far as I'm concerned.

Yea man, Phenomena is my favorite Argento film.. everything about it, especially the music is just plain amazing

Jeff

skinnypuppy6
09-13-2001, 03:02 AM
they are both Great !!

The Chaostar
09-13-2001, 01:38 PM
They did tried to work together.

Years before his death FUlci only had bad things to say about Argento. Argento never responded to them. Fulci was mad at the time because he had treated badly his then collaborator Screenwritter Dardano Saccheti who, after he abandoned Fulci, worked with Argento and Lamberto Bava, providing them with the story for DEMONS. As you may know, DEMONS became a HUGE hit in Italy. It gave Argento, Bava and Saccheti SHITLOADS of money. Fulci by that time had lost it. Every film he made was a flop and some of them couldn't find a distibutor outside Italy, France, Germany and Japan. So he started calling Argento names because he was jealous.
At the last years Fulci's life, Dario finally met him. He was on a wheel chair by that time and Argento said that he was angered by the fact that everyone had forgotten Fulci after all the things he did for the Italian Movie Indrusty. So he offered to produce Fulci's version of THE WAX MUSEUM.

Unfortunatly, Fulci died before shooting (which took some time due to production problems).

NickyDoyle
09-14-2001, 02:16 AM
Yeah, comparing Argento to Fulci is like comparing apples to oranges; two completely different styles. It sucks that Fulci died before making The Wax Mask. Fulci died of a diabetic attack from a piece of cake, in case anyone didn't know. What really is absurd is the fact that some people have the balls to say that Fulci committed suicide by eating that piece of cake. Obviously, since this movie would've revived both Dario's and Lucio's career's, its shocking to think that this wasn't an accident.

I didn't know how Dario and Lucio met face to face. Thanks for the info, Chaostar!

mcchrist
09-14-2001, 06:33 AM
Fulci is more 2D while Argento is more 3D. That is that Argento is more adept at creating depth either through metaphor or subjective attck or a combination therof (very much like the German Expressionists, and he admitted this fact in the Suspiria documentary). Fulci's work is more linear, what you see is what you get. His films lack pretension and work completely in a logic of their own. I find both aspects to be completely intriguing. That is why I like them both.

monkeyman
09-17-2001, 11:31 PM
New York Ripper is probably one of Fulcis weakest films to be honest.Of his lesser known films,I would thoroghly recommend Dont Torture the Duckling(Anchor Bay),Colt Concert,The Smuggler and One on Top Of the Other.
The first title in particular is always the film I would show to anybody who accuses Fulci of just being an opportunist hack director.Its a beautiful and cruel film,equally on a par with any of Argentos giallos.

yxz54
09-19-2001, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by monkeyman
New York Ripper is probably one of Fulcis weakest films to be honest.Of his lesser known films,I would thoroghly recommend Dont Torture the Duckling(Anchor Bay),Colt Concert,The Smuggler and One on Top Of the Other.
The first title in particular is always the film I would show to anybody who accuses Fulci of just being an opportunist hack director.Its a beautiful and cruel film,equally on a par with any of Argentos giallos.

Man you hit the nail on the head. DTAD is one fantastic film. Easily the best film of his that I have seen. It is every bit as good as any of Argento's Giallo's IMHO.

Best Scott