PDA

View Full Version : Euro Horror DVD Of The Month (September 01) - Suspiria

Jason25
09-12-2001, 07:11 PM
Finally, after a long time waiting, Suspiria debuts on DVD here in the U.S. courtesy of Anchor Bay. Was it worth the wait?

I picked up the 3 disc set last week and haven't put it down since. Such a plethora of goodies. This film, which boasts such vibrant colors to begin with, looks outstanding. Anchor Bay surely did the best job anyone could have possibly done with this film. Kudos to them for taking the time to release a definitive version the first time around.

The story is fascinating. From the beginning sequence which we see Suzy turned away from the academy by a strange voice to the suspenseful climax, Argento fully engrosses the viewer with his magnificent directing skills. Argento proves once again that he is able to weave a story only the way he can.

The imagery and color use in this film is better than in any other film I have ever watched and seeing it in digital format is astounding. Anchor Bay's transfer looks nearly flawless to me, especially considering the night scenes come across so vibrant and clear. Definitely one of the best transfers I have ever seen.

As far as the sound goes, very strong. The Goblin scores sounds terrific, very clear dialog. Dolby 6.1 DTS soundtrack is included as well as a Italian and French track. Like I said before, the screams sound so much better than the old vhs tapes I suffered through before.

Extras
Well, again, I still have yet to put this 3 disc set down. The first disc, which also contains the film itself, also has a substantial amount of extras. Trailers, TV and Radio Spots, Music Video, Talent Bios, and Photo Galleries are all included on disc 1.
Disc 2 is where I have spent some significant time watching. It is a documentary and it is amazing. Definitely worth watching.
Disc 3 is the Goblin Soundtrack, which is remarkable.

Anchor Bay obviously put a great deal of time and money into this set and they should be acknowledged for that. They consistently produce the best DVD's around, period.

Any Suspiria fan will rejoice when they pick up their copies of this film. The packaging is also something to be noted. Hopefully everyone else will be amazed with AB's work on this.

Peter Vincent
09-12-2001, 08:43 PM
I'm still waiting for mine through DeepdiscountDVD! I hope its home when I get there!

I'll tell ya what, I've never seen 'Suspiria', but based on this & other sites I was convinced to get the LE. I certainly hope I'm pleasurably "deflowered", so to speak! ;)

skinnypuppy6
09-13-2001, 03:00 AM
anchor bay should be proud!! an awesome disc(s)!!!! I got mine very early from deepdiscountdvd and yes its perfect no fuck ups!!!:) :) :)

Andrew
09-13-2001, 03:32 AM
Man it looks SWEET!!!!!!!

I can't wait to watch it!

I finally got my DVD player back yesterday, the guy said it worked fine. He said he watched movies for 5 days with no problems.

THE FUCKER LIES!!!!!! Now I have to live with only knowing what happened for the first half of Maniac, the first half of the Wicker Man, and I must see Suspiria (the disc I mean).

Fuck JVC.

Hellbilly
09-13-2001, 04:35 AM
the last time i've seen Suspiria was 10 years ago, as the crappy video version from magnum.

Anchor Bay did a fine job releasing Suspiria on DVD. it just looks and sounds amazing!