PDA

View Full Version : Which genre do you prefer?

rhett
04-18-2005, 06:50 AM
In Europe you've got the giallo, in America you have the slasher. One is characterized by Ennio Morricone music, the other by bad synth music. One was pioneered by Mario Bava and Dario Argento, the other by Bob Clark and John Carpenter. Yet, no matter how different their styles and influences, both are very similar. Which one do you prefer?

RyanPC
04-18-2005, 06:54 AM
I prefer the giallo, definitely. I like how the Italians put most of their emphasis on the filmmaking process. I figure, the acting isn't great, but the direction is fantastic so at least it's enjoyable in that respect. As far as slashers are concerned, the acting is usually atrocious and the direction is... well... (most of the time) atrocious. Looking back, I really have no idea why I enjoy slasher films as much as I do, but well yeah. Gialli are definitely better. :D

*slowly backs out of the room*

Dilmo
04-18-2005, 07:05 AM
Slasher by a nick. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/alles_moegliche/mixed-smiley-017.gif

BloodMan
04-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Giallo... haven't seen many but seen enough to know they are alot more fun and interesting than just slashing people up. :)
Still dig slashers though.

maskull
04-18-2005, 07:35 AM
Slasher. Good, dumb, mindless fun. Besides, four of my all-time favourite movies would be considered slashers.

dwatts
04-18-2005, 07:38 AM
Giallo. They are less predictable, and some of them are just very well made. I'd say the cinematography in giallos - generally - was better, giving us a greater aesthetic.

sacateca
04-18-2005, 07:43 AM
i like both when the movies are well done and refuse to answer :/ Ok...i suppose it's slasher because there are more good slashers than good giallos, though both can be great. (And it annoys me the way in giallos they always talk about maniacs and are on the side of the police).

old-boo-radley
04-18-2005, 08:17 AM
Slasher. More entertaining. Although I've enjoyed most giallos I've seen, I find myself not being able to take them seriously, and unlike the slasher, they seem to mostly be in serious tone. IE) in Deep Red when the guy finds something on the wall that helps him find the killer (can't remember much about it), it just seems too convenient. And, I believe there was at some point where the character remembered he seen the killer's face in the mirror... come on now. If you saw a face in that mirror when you were there you wouldn't have just walked on past. Just my two cents.

onebyone
04-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Slashers. Slashers. It is just so very much slashers. There are many good giallos, but the bad ones make me want to shoot out my TV. I can at least have fun with both the good and bad slasher movies. So slashers. Fuck yeah. Yeah buddy.

Luna
04-18-2005, 08:44 AM
At this point, I'd like to remind people that spoiler tags are our friends.

I grew up on slashers, so they're dear to my heart that way. It hurts me to choose, but yeah, I'd choose slashers. They get the slight edge here for fun and nostalgia. I guess it kind of helps that I'm a fiend for the bad synth music. :D

Katatonia
04-18-2005, 08:58 AM
I enjoy both greatly, but I still must go for Slashers. I grew up watching them long before I had ever even heard of the term Giallo.

hell ya!
04-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Definitely the giallo. Slashers are somewhat fun but there's none that i would ever consider masterpieces like some of the gialli i've seen.

Cujo108
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Very tough, as I adore both, but overall I have to go with slashers.

Criswell
04-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Not because Aussie George Miller "invented it" but I love the Post Apocalyptic Genre.

There is a lot of scope to explore politics and sociological questions, but also cause the Italians seriously fucked it up with some high camp classics.

Yowie
04-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Gialli, like dwatts said they're not as predictable as slashers, they can be surreal and sometimes dumb as hell. I like that music and style often play a bigger part in a giallo than a slasher, and that they don't bother to always explain everything. -That last bit must be the real fascination and secret of the ongoing success of this particular genre, in my opinion.

thrashard76
04-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Slasher.

y2doublet
04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
Slasher, but mostly because the best in the Slasher canon (i.e. Clark/Carpenter) beats the best in the Giallo canon (i.e. Bava/Argento).

Crystal Plumage
04-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Giallo all the way for me.

4Gotten1
04-18-2005, 08:41 PM
I like them both, especially when they collide, as in Blood and Black Lace. But since I can pick only one, I went with Slasher.

maskull
04-18-2005, 08:58 PM
this could be a close race...

fceurich39
04-18-2005, 09:11 PM
slasher

Crystal Plumage
04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Some Italian slashers are considered Giallo.Michele Soavi's Stagefright for example is a very typical 80's slasher (with great cinematography!) but is always listed as being a Giallo.

Franco
04-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Slasher!

I give lots of value to the music and most of the horror movies whose score/soundtrack I've listened to are slashers. Just a few are from gialli.

Besides, I hate dubbing and the fact that old italian movies used to add the actors' voices after recording the movie (shooting).

Myron Breck
04-19-2005, 07:56 PM
I've voted for Slasher because, as I've stated in other threads, I don't really know anything about Giallo and have only seen one or two that fall into this catagory. I'm pretty "schooled" in Slasher so I guess that Giallo is my new frontier.

Anyone know of a good guidebook on the subject? One with reviews, synopses, pics, etc? I'd like to broaden my horror/exploitation horizons.

maybrick
04-19-2005, 08:03 PM
I vote Slasher because they lend themselves to group viewing better and because of that get a lot more replay.

Cujo108
04-19-2005, 11:56 PM
Anyone know of a good guidebook on the subject?

Blood and Black Lace is a very comprehensive book on gialli. Highly recommended.

IGotsNewShoes
04-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Slasher, definitely.

I personally think Giallo is highly overrated, there are a few Giallo films I like but very few. Although I can appreciate the style in which most Giallo films are made they just don't hold my interest.

CubeOfTheDead
04-20-2005, 04:05 AM
I never really got into Gillo really. But I suspect its because I haven't seen very many. Anyway, I went with slasher. Too many great slasher flicks to not vote it perferred genre of the two.

Coverdale
04-20-2005, 04:45 AM
While there are some excellent slashers and some terrible gialli (the same of course could be said for any genres or sub-genres), but overall I selected gialli. Of course, Halloween to me is much better than The Killer Must Kill Again, but even mediocre Bava and Argento just slays (no pun intended) any Jason movie IMHO.

Jason25
04-21-2005, 11:22 PM
Giallo, hands down. While I love some slasher films, there are way too many crappy slasher films.

kain
04-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Slasher

indiephantom
04-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Slasher!!!

Love some of the old "yellows" and God knows Argento and Fulci are incredible...but it can't approach my love for the slasher. :fire:

evildeadfan123
04-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Slasher

mandy bradley
04-23-2005, 12:29 AM
I grew up on slashers and have always loved them. I voted slasher.

Noto
04-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Romantic comedies, sure they may be predictable. But they make you feel so warm inside!