PDA

View Full Version : Phenomena DVD problems?

DefJeff
09-13-2001, 08:34 PM
hey, ive actually had a problem with my Phenomena DVD for awhile, at the part that the girls are in class, and the main char is whispering the answers to her friend, the DVD pixilates and jumps ahead and back a few seconds until i fast forward it.
I was reading in the Splatterhouse Forums someone had a problem with their disc, this is part of the post:

Juast an observation. My mates Pioneer 626 had a sever problem near the layer change with my AB Phenomena. It's one of the coffe-stained batch, so there is arguably disc-rot involved BUT, I've had no similar problems on my players (PC and standalone). My assumption, based on this instance, and a number of other cases (stutters/freezes) is that the laser pickups on Pioneer units are set to a relatively low-gain. Hence marginal damage causes fatal problems

Does anyone know what this Coffe-Stained batch he speaks of is?
any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

Paff
09-13-2001, 08:59 PM
"Coffee stained" is a some kind of DVD phenomenon (no pun intended) that some think is a sign of DVD "rot". ("rot" is a term derived from laserdisc days, where some LDs had a tendency to develop multicolored speckles all over the picture until the disc eventually became unwatchable).

Anyway, the term comes from it's appearance: The disc looks like someone spilled coffee on the readable surface. I've noticed in on my Anchor Bay Deep Red, yet that disc still plays 100% flawlessly, so I don't think the "coffee stain" is necessarily an indicator.

As far as Phenomena, I've heard several people describe problems with this disc. I don't know if the recently released double feature discs have the same occurence. What I do know is that I'm not letting go of my Phenomena Laserdisc, especially since the DVD is basically a direct port of it anyway.

So don't throw out discs just because of the stains, I don't think the two things (stained discs and unreadable discs) are related.

ian
09-13-2001, 09:29 PM
As far as Phenomena, I've heard several people describe problems with this disc. I don't know if the recently released double feature discs have the same occurence. What I do know is that I'm not letting go of my Phenomena Laserdisc, especially since the DVD is basically a direct port of it anyway.

I've got all three of the Argento double feature AB discs and not had a single problem with any of the six films, so it's possible that the issue was solved with the pressing done for the double features.

Ian

Suicide
09-13-2001, 10:51 PM
My Deep Red disc doesn't work on my DVD player. It gets to chapter 21 and just stops. I contacted Anchor Bay and they're gonna replace it, but I keep forgeting to take it to the post office.

Erg0n
09-14-2001, 12:32 AM
I also, found my AB releases of such films working perfectly.

I have a Pioneer dv333.

mazzariniuk
09-14-2001, 01:34 AM
My copy of DEEP RED has the coffee stain on it aswell, but since I noticed it, I haven't played the DVD. Maybe I will watch it in the morning to see if I have any problems.

DefJeff
09-14-2001, 04:07 AM
My Phenomena disc has the coffee stains .. im gonna go your route and contact AB and see if they will replace it... what was the address u contacted them at to ask for the replacement?
thanks for all the info guys,

Jeff

Suicide
09-14-2001, 04:35 AM
Go to

Anchor Bay Entertainment Contact (http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/about/contactus.asp)

Just tell them the problem with the disc, and that you misplaced the receipt. It takes them a few days to get back to you because I think this happens pretty often, but they'll get back to you.

DVD Connoisseur
09-15-2001, 09:01 PM
DefJeff, I also encountered the same problem (and I also encountered freezing where the light is seen through the window). After exchanging discs a few times without success, I contacted AB. AB informed me that it's down to player incompatibility. This is indeed true...my PC plays the disc but my high-end, dedicated Toshiba DVD doesn't. At the end of the day, it's down to shoddy authoring. I also had the same problem with the infamous T2 disc.

At least you have peace of mind that you're not alone, although that may not be much of a consolation. What is it with Argento and DVDs, anyway? They seem problematic in many instances......Bird With The Crystal Plummage, Suspiria, Opera, Phenomena....strange.

DefJeff
09-15-2001, 10:31 PM
actually, it does give me peace of mind knowing its my player not the disc because i will always have the disc, but not always the player -- so maybe one day i can watch it mess up free :)
thanks,

Jeff

Black_Mandarin
09-16-2001, 10:31 PM
Select Anchor Bay discs are fussy with some players. I've had problems with Phenomena pixelating as well, also Tenderness of the Wolves, Django, and such on my Toshiba. My friend has a different model of Toshiba and his does too, though in different spots.

But, I'd say a good 90% of the Anchor Bay discs I've put in my player have been problem free, especially ones put out in the past year and a half. Its just the plague of DVD in these early days, all players, all DVDs arent universally the same so these kind of problems pop up. Just hold onto the disc and maybe someday you'll have a player that accepts it better.