PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Haunted House Movie?

rhett
04-25-2005, 05:30 AM
With THE AMITYVILLE HORROR remake continuing to rack in the cash at the box office, let's take the time to consider the haunted house genre as a whole. It's been a genre spanning several decades, from black and white to color. It seems to be having a bit of a renaissance as of late, but how does the new compare with the old?

onebyone
04-25-2005, 05:46 AM
My favorite is The Haunting 1963, although The Uninvited gives it a run for its money.

Tawny
04-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Poltergeist

RyanPC
04-25-2005, 05:54 AM
I went with The Haunting (1963), but Burnt Offerings, Poltergeist, and The Shining aren't far behind it.

Dilmo
04-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Poltergeist
Absolute ditto! Love that movie. It needs an SE treatment.

Katatonia
04-25-2005, 06:25 AM
The Changeling without a doubt. One of the creepiest movies I've ever seen and always a joy to watch. George C. Scott was great and I just can't imagine anyone else doing the role. It's being remake (of course) supposedly with the same director who did the original.

Poltergeist is probably my second favorite, since it scared the hell out of me as a kid. And then there is The Shining and The Legend of Hell House, also both brilliant horror films.

KamuiX
04-25-2005, 07:44 AM
I'm honestly not a huge fan of haunted house films, but The Shining is an incredible film, and the original The Haunting and The Others are quite good as well. Also worth a big mention and not listed are The Woman in Black from 1989 (which is IMO one of the scariest films ever made), The Innocents, and the UNCUT version of Darkness (since everyone says the US version is cut to hell). The rest, to be honest, don't do anything for me.

Agent Z
04-25-2005, 08:00 AM
The Changeling. I feel sorry for those who haven't seen this little gem yet.

Erick H.
04-25-2005, 08:06 AM
I went with THE SHINING,but POLTERGEIST,THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE and BURNT OFFERINGS wern't far behind.Actually,I enjoyed many of the films on that list.In general(though not always),haunted house films tend to have somewhat better developed plots and charecters than slashers.I suspect thats because many of them have a literary origin(novel,short story etc).

Devo1313
04-25-2005, 08:41 AM
I can't believe you are forgetting The Innocents. Even Michael Weldon called it "The best horror film ever made". Also behind it are The Uninvited,Legend of Hell House and House on Haunted Hill(the original with Vinnie Price).

Cujo108
04-25-2005, 08:42 AM
The Sentinel is my pick. Certainly not a traditional haunted house picture, but I certainly think it qualifies. Its followed very closely by The Innocents (release a DVD, Fox!) and the original The Haunting.

As for The Changeling, I like it a lot, but don't think its as great as many claim it to be. I have only seen it once though, so I should pick up the DVD soon.

IGotsNewShoes
04-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Burnt Offerings, the first time I saw it the ending just totally blew me away.

dwatts
04-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Oh, it's not even close. I just had to scan the list looking for the original "The Haunting", easily the most effective haunted house story out there.

Surnom
04-25-2005, 01:21 PM
I went with The Shining. I also liked a lot the others

I liked the way everything was inversed

I still have to see the original The Haunting, and the Changeling, tho. And it's been quite a long time since I saw Poltergeist, but that was pretty good too as I recalled it...

_pi_
04-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Poltergeist is my favorite, but I'd say that the original Haunting is the best of the lot. Shining is also really good, although I'm one of those people who love the book too much to be able to completely forgive the film ...

Meanie
04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
My pick would be The Legend Of Hell House.
In fact I've seen all those movies listed and the only ones I don't like The Amityville Horror movies and Thi13teen Ghosts

Paff
04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
For me it came down to The Haunting (63) and The Others

I think The Others is an underrated little gem, that unfortunately got pigeonholed as a "Sixth Sense wannabe", when to me it's more like a re-creation of the Hammer atmosphere.

So I gave The Others it's props...

_pi_
04-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes, I also thought The Others was a bit unfairly maligned. Personally, I prefer it to the vastly overrated Sixth Sense. The only problem for me is that I find The Others somehow very depressing so I don't watch it very often.

badnewsbrown
04-25-2005, 07:55 PM

fceurich39
04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
the shining

dwatts
04-25-2005, 08:29 PM
-- The Legend Of Hell House--

I watched this recently. Really enjoyed it as a kid, but watching it now left me a bit disapointed. It's all a bit too silly, imo. Still, not too bad, I guess.

maskull
04-25-2005, 09:34 PM
woooooooo i was the 13th vote for Poltergeist...scary!! :evil:

i actually am afraid of haunted house movies. they are the most likely to scare me. so many corners for things to jump out at people, many chances for weird noises, plus I live in a house so I can relate to other people living in a house. :D
plus there's closets, basements and under the bed, all contained in the same building. :eek1: :nervous:

...I live out in the country, in a creaky house. Sucks when you're home alone....

Ash J. Williams
04-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Gotta be Poltergeist. I love it so much, and it was probably the first horror movie I ever saw, back when I was just a wee lad. I think it would be remembered more if it hadn't come out a mere week before a certain wrinkly, brown, stubby thing. I speak, of course, of ET.

Franco
04-26-2005, 03:13 AM
I love The Shining but I prefer to watch another slow-paced '70s movie like ... "Burnt Offerings". ;)

y2doublet
04-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Really tough call between The Shining, The Others, the original Haunting, Legend of Hell House and The Changeling but I had to go with The Shining. Guess you could say I dig the subgenre quite a bit.

Meanie
04-26-2005, 03:19 PM
-- The Legend Of Hell House--

I watched this recently. Really enjoyed it as a kid, but watching it now left me a bit disapointed. It's all a bit too silly, imo. Still, not too bad, I guess.

I'm wondering, What do you find Silly in it anyway?
Is it the story, the acting, the special effects, the reasons why they would stay in the house? :confused:

Tye
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
I'd have to go along with The Shining (Kubrick's version).
The original Haunting would be a close second.
I enjoyed The Legend of Hell House as well and didn't find it silly. Perhaps the poster was referring to the storyline?
Another good one was James Whale's The Old Dark House (but the film wasn't about the supernatural).
I've been wanting to see The Innocents but haven't been able to find it for rent.

geeare
04-26-2005, 04:29 PM
CLANG....CLANG...CLANG

The Changeling!!!!!

MrVess
04-26-2005, 05:08 PM
"Something Evil" should be here.

(I would still vote for "The Haunting", of course).

John Gargo
04-26-2005, 09:24 PM
Burnt Offerings, the first time I saw it the ending just totally blew me away.
What he said.

Wermode
04-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Sentinel would get honorable mention but...

all work and no play makes jack a dull boy
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy...

The Shining.