PDA

View Full Version : zombie(here we go again)

zombi3
09-15-2001, 04:39 PM
anyone notice that anchor bay have yanked the re-release of zombie off their future release list? what's the deal? ANOTHER rights discrepancy?

skinnypuppy6
09-19-2001, 05:09 AM
basicly the zombie remastered version is DEAD

dotgain37
09-19-2001, 06:16 AM
Yes, it has been pulled/pushed back. Just came back from the chat over at HTF, with Michael Felsher from Anchor Bay. He said that they couldn't re-master it the way they wanted, so they decided to push it back (he didn't mention any time frame). AB may re-release the old disc at a lower price though.

Let's hope that ItalianShock's version will be good enough for now.

/Dotgain

Eibonium
09-19-2001, 10:25 PM
Besides, the R2 release entitled "Woodoo" is an allright version of the film.

mgfred
09-20-2001, 01:24 AM
Woodoo is R0 not R2 but is in PAL, very available as well, if AB releases their previous version again it will sell just as well.

Mark Relford
09-20-2001, 06:43 AM
I'll bite the bullet and buy the lower priced disc from AB. I missed out the first time:( It'll tide me over until the remastered one shows up.

dlundh
09-20-2001, 11:01 AM
For thos of you still undecided on which version to buy, Japan Shock Video (or Italian Shock Video) has yet another release of the film on its way:
Zombi 2 Announcement (http://www.japan-shock.com/news.htm)

I think their releases so far (Japan/Italian Shock) has been OK so I'm gonna get their version of Zombie although I have ABs old disc.

napalm68
09-20-2001, 02:55 PM
I don't think the Italian Shock version is available yet. I'm still waiting. I read it was delayed. If the transfer is anything like their NYR, the pic should be pretty good.

Jason25
09-21-2001, 08:20 AM
I'll definitely pick this one up.

mazzariniuk
09-26-2001, 01:01 AM
does everyone give the AB release of ZOMBIE such a hard time. I for one was very pleased with the quality of the DVD. Granted the picture quality wasn't up there with the likes of THE BEYOND and THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, but it was still far better than other DVDs on the market. I also get the impression that I am the only person in the world that enjoyed the commentary (granted Jason Slater came across like a child in a sweat shop) but Ian McCulloch had some interesting stories, although I still can't spot him in WHERE EAGLES DARE (any ideas at to what part he played?). A friend of mine purchased the UK extreme version of ZOMBIE aka ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS here in the UK, and after viewing the AB version he told me that the picture and sound were far better than his trimmed UK version.

mgfred
09-26-2001, 02:01 AM
I'm very happy with my AB copy of Zombie as well, I won't look for another one unless somebody comes up with a edition that blows the doors off of it with goodies like the soundtrack etc.

ian
09-26-2001, 02:46 AM
i agree. it's not perfect, but it's certainly not total shit either.

skinnypuppy6
09-26-2001, 02:56 AM
has any one compared A.b's zombie to the zombie flesh eaters disc?

Fredson
09-26-2001, 11:30 AM
Isn't the Zombie Flesh Eaters UK disc cut???
That's at least what I heard!
Fredson

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 01:03 PM
I've had various prints of Zombie Flesh eaters, and by far the best I've ever seen was the widescreen Danish Vipco release - on VHS & under the title 'Zombies 2' - which blows the Anchor Bay print away. There's none of the grain or print muddiness of the AB print, and the transfer is the cleanest I've ever had the pleasure to see. I stil have this VHS version & won't buy the AB disc until a substantially better print is available. The German 'Woodoo' is a decent print too.

mcchrist
09-26-2001, 07:07 PM
Its a shame that AB can't cut the mustard remastering this bitch, the original DVD was horrible (quality-wise) as far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't settle for crap. Re-releasing the original disc would be like putting a fresh coat of paint on a turd.

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 11:10 PM
who can argue with that?

Werner Von Wallenrod
09-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Does the AB DVD look very different from the laserdisc? 'Cause my laserdisc looks pretty good to me (and, yeah, the commentary's dope).

mgfred
09-27-2001, 12:27 AM
The AB dvd is the same transfer as the laser, however compared side by side, the laser's color is stronger, similar to comparing Elite's Maniac & Re-Animator's lasers to the dvds, the lasers look a little better. AB used the same transfer Roan did on the laserdisk with the same commentary and extras.

Jason25
09-27-2001, 01:59 AM
Just got a Zombie LD off of e-bay. I'm curious to see how it looks.

Andrew
09-27-2001, 02:48 AM
Haha, you bought something you already had. Haha :D.

BlazingMagnum
09-27-2001, 01:38 PM
Why didn't you just buy Woodoo instead? The Anchor Bay print doesn't cut it. - Better still, wait a couple of months & there should be a re-mastered print available. Surely AB won't put out the same version. There are plenty of decent & uncut source prints around.

BlazingMagnum
10-01-2001, 03:51 AM
That about sorts that one out. Woodoo's a beauty though, and I have to agree about the Road disc - just a pity about the break in the middle of the movie though.