PDA

View Full Version : Lamberto Bava

mazzariniuk
09-17-2001, 12:46 AM
What do you guys think of this man as a director? I have only seen the following...

BODY PUZZLE
DEMONS
DEMONS 2
GRAVEYARD DISTURBANCE
MACABRE

I don't get too excited about his films, I liked BODY PUZZLE and DEMONS but I can't say I was that fussed with the other three. So with that track record I tend to avoid his films, although not as much as I avoid films by Bruno Mattei the hack master himself!

Jason25
09-17-2001, 12:57 AM
I like Lamberto. I think some of his films are very enjoyable.
I really enjoy A Blade in the Dark a great deal.

Bruno Mattei is the ultimate hack, his films are pure trash, I am astonished that Anchor Bay is releasing some of his films on dvd, that is very disturbing.

mazzariniuk
09-17-2001, 01:13 AM
I bet these discs won't have any problems playing on different machines, due to the fact that no one will buy them. Has he done a film that is worth watching...I have seen a fair few of his films, well three if I tell the truth, three too many if you ask me! They were awful and they were DOUBLE TARGET (because I like Donald Pleasence), STRIKE COMMANDO (because I like Christopher Connelly) and the worst of the bunch THE OTHER HELL (I don't know why I watched this, oh yes I do, but it is not a good enough reason to post here).

skinnypuppy6
09-17-2001, 01:25 AM
am I the only one who liked Mattei's night of the zombies aka hell of the living dead?? as for L. bava a blade in the dark is a classic and rather enjoy his work but let's face it he's no Mario:) :)

mazzariniuk
09-17-2001, 01:36 AM
tell you are the only person who likes a Mattei film. Mind you if AB release ZOMBI 3 I would consider purchasing it (only if they put back the deleted scenes of Antonio Margheriti's favourite actor Luciano Pigozzi). Actually talking of Margheriti, with the exception of VENGEANCE have any of his other films been put on DVD, I know there was a rumor of CANNIBAL APOCALYPSE, but are there any others? This guy is my favourite Italian director, I don't think there is one of his films that I haven't liked, and yes that includes YOR HUNTER FROM THE FUTURE and CAPTAIN YANKEE.

skinnypuppy6
09-17-2001, 01:43 AM
i would love to see Yor the Hunter from the future on dvd I liked the hell out of that movie

crank
09-17-2001, 02:03 AM
I personally like Lamberto Bava, I own all of his AB DVDs, but I never picked up Body Double, and now it's out of print. Oh well, hopefully someone else will release it later on. I'm actually rather surprised that in all of the Eurohorror releasing frenzy nobody has really dug into his back catalouge more. I mean Graveyard Disturbances, Italian zombie DVD's sell well don't they?

crank

Jeremy
09-17-2001, 03:20 AM
I'm not really a fan of Lamberto Bava; I hate the DEMONS films and his gialli stuff has never really appealed to me. Probably the only LB film that I'm really a fan of is MONSTER SHARK, which is one of the better Italian JAWS clones (the original version that is, if you're watching the American DEVILFISH cut then it's probably one of the worst), and has regrettably yet to show up on DVD in North America, although there is a very good Japanese disc out there.

mazzariniuk
09-17-2001, 03:24 AM
is that any better than Enzo G.Castellari's THE GREAT WHITE? Talking of Castellari, I see NEW BARBARIANS is up for a DVD release according to the Image Entertainment site.

boyd1955
09-17-2001, 10:49 AM
Lamberto Bava is complete waste of space... His father was a wonderful inventive director... But unfortunately his son couldn't adequately direct an episode of " The Bold and the Beautiful" ... If you like good films... Or even bad films that are fun... Only ever rent his movies and save yourself some money... You'll never want to watch them again

Mark Relford
09-17-2001, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by skinnypuppy6
am I the only one who liked Mattei's night of the zombies aka hell of the living dead??

I take great pleasure in torturing my friends with this rotgut zombie flick. It's a guilty pleasure and I can't wait to get the DVD! I didn't have the stomach to sit through the wretched RATS. Mattei is right up there with the King of the Hacks, Russo.:D Those two Hackmasters should get together and work on a project.

YOR is excellent grade A cheese. I remember seeing this goofy flick on cable many moons ago.

As for Lamberto Bava, he'll forever be in his father's shadow. He has two good films under his belt. (Demons and Macabre) Haven't seen A Blade in the Dark yet.