PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Horror Trilogy?

rhett
05-22-2005, 11:40 PM
With REVENGE OF THE SITH closing off one of modern day's biggest trilogies (or pre-trilogies, or whatever Lucas is calling it now), what better than to consider the best trilogies that the horror genre has to offer. Trilogies are fairly rare in horror, considering that if a film makes it to two sequels, many more are surely to come in the future. The list above reflects that, with RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, SLEEPAWAY CAMP and of course ROMERO'S DEAD TRILOGY all getting bumped up to four later on this year(?). But for the poll's sake, they are trilogies, and now we will vote.

Franco
05-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Evil Dead with no doubt! Totally loved it since I was a child. Excellent trilogy despite of the third movie being a bit exaggerated with the comedy.

Dilmo
05-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Romero's Dead Trilogy
The Omen Trilogy, though III was weak.

zuvembie
05-23-2005, 12:18 AM
The Romero Trilogy is tops, with Evil Dead running a close second.

MartinD1
05-23-2005, 12:23 AM
For me it's Romero's "Dead" Trilogy soon to be a QUADRILOGY. ;-)

onebyone
05-23-2005, 12:25 AM
They are all good, but the Evil Dead Trilogy is the best in my book. Day would be my second choice, even if it isn't going to be a trilogy for much longer. I really hate having to vote against Ginger Snaps, Maniac Cop, and Sleepaway Camp too. Damn this poll.

RyanPC
05-23-2005, 12:28 AM
Have to go with the Dead Trilogy. All three films are pretty much consistant in quality, and that is not the case with the other series listed.

walkingdude
05-23-2005, 12:29 AM
I really hate having to vote against Ginger Snaps, Maniac Cop, and Sleepaway Camp too. Damn this poll.
Yes damn it!I want to pick at least 5.It's hard to chose here.:(

Nemesis
05-23-2005, 12:29 AM
damnit if that wasnt one of the hardest decisions i've had to make in the last 2 months! :lol:

evil dead trilogy just squeezed out the romero trilogy... but it was damned close.. i'll be curious to see the 4th installment as i'm sure it will change how i view the other three

The_Tunneler
05-23-2005, 12:30 AM
The blood trilogy from herschel gordon lewis. 2000 maniacs, blood feast, color me blood red. Nice set, great movies.

dwatts
05-23-2005, 12:37 AM
Well, you got me there. Out of those, Romero wins.

fceurich39
05-23-2005, 12:41 AM
dead trilogy

hell ya!
05-23-2005, 12:41 AM
The DEAD trilogy hands down but i wanted to give some love to the mutant babies so i voted for It's Alive.

KR~!
05-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Evil Dead! I can never ever get tried of watching those films.

I can't belive you put It's Alive up there! LOL! You rock! Island of the Alive :lol:

What about Basket Case? That was a trilogy as well. :evil:

Romero's "Dead" Trilogy isn't a trilogy anymore, so there! :glasses:

rhett
05-23-2005, 02:03 AM
Basket Case has been added. In regards to the H.G. Lewis trilogy, I wanted to stay away from "informal" trilogies. Otherwise, I'd have to include stuff like Argento's animal trilogy, or Carpenter's apocalypse trilogy, etc.

maybrick
05-23-2005, 02:11 AM
For me it's Romero's "Dead" Trilogy soon to be a QUADRILOGY. ;-)

I agree, although the correct word would be "TETRALOGY" rather than "QUADRILOGY", ALIEN QUADRILOGY be damned.

Damage
05-23-2005, 02:11 AM
I went with the Evil Dead trilogy. ED1 was my introduction to excessive gore and I've been hooked ever since.

Criswell
05-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Too bad the bookies aren't laying odds on this one.....Romero for sure.

evildeadfan123
05-23-2005, 02:20 AM
Evil Dead all the way, with Romero's Dead Trilogy second.

Myron Breck
05-23-2005, 03:22 AM
Evil Dead! I can never ever get tried of watching those films.

I can't belive you put It's Alive up there! LOL! You rock! Island of the Alive :lol:

What about Basket Case? That was a trilogy as well. :evil:

Romero's "Dead" Trilogy isn't a trilogy anymore, so there! :glasses:

While we're nit-picking, don't forget the forgettable OMEN IV!!! :D No one goes into hysterics quite as well as that chick from "V"

But what a tought poll!!!!!! I went with Romero's since, IMHO, all three installments were powerful, stellar examples of the decades they were made. Very few of the other trilogies had worthy sequels.

Tom Servo
05-23-2005, 05:01 AM
It came down to Romero and Evil Dead. The Romero trilogy won out.

allmessedup
05-23-2005, 05:31 AM
Guess the Dead Trilogy, don't like the third one but the first two more than make up for it. Course, the main reason is just that I don't like most of the others listed at all.
[Never liked EVIL DEAD much...]

I guess I'd pick ROTLD for second...love the first, hate the second, thought the third was okay.

Katatonia
05-23-2005, 06:03 AM
In terms of which movies I watch the most, it would be the Slumber Party Massacre trilogy. However, many of the films listed are among my favorites, and it's really hard to choose.

maskull
05-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Ginger Snaps. I loved all three films.

followed by Evil Dead and Sleepaway Camp. I might've given Romero some love but I really don't like Day.

thrashard76
05-23-2005, 07:07 AM
Romero's Dead Trilogy
Evil Dead Trilogy

allmessedup
05-23-2005, 07:10 AM
If it comes down to liking all three films, I'd probably have to go with Sleepaway Camp, because I always have fun with those. But none of them I like as much as NIGHT and DAWN, or the first ROTLD.

Erick H.
05-23-2005, 07:41 AM
While I'm fond of many of them,Romero's trilogy has the edge,I hope the new film is a worthy companion to them !

Agent Z
05-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Man oh man. First off, I want to thank maskull for the Ginger Snaps love, for I have grown to love that series more and more as I look back at how they took chances on each installment.

As with most people here, it ultimately came down to Romero and Raimi for me...and I have to go with The Evil Dead trilogy because, like the Ginger Snaps trilogy, each successive film kept the same theme, but also had its own distinct style, which kept things fresh. :)

Romero's trilogy suffered from Day. I need more than special effects to keep me involved in the story and, in the case of Day of the Dead, I just couldn't care any less about the characters and their situation. Bored me to tears.

Bobbywoodhogan
05-23-2005, 08:31 AM
Evil Dead

K'
05-23-2005, 08:32 AM
I had to go with Evil Dead, but Romero's Dead and Craven's Scream trilogy share the second place, RotlD gets the third.

KillerCannabis
05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
Had to go with Romero's dead trilogy. I love Evil Dead almost as much, but I'm such a gorehound that I had to go with the best zombie trilogy ever.

Workshed
05-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Evil Dead.

Romero's trilogy is excellent and contains the finer films out of the two series, but ED has Bruce Campbell and time-traveling and some of my favorite movie quotes.

"We just chopped up our girlfriend...does that sound...fine to you?"

Ginger Snaps? The first one is damn good and very funny. But the other two? I found them very disappointing.

Paff
05-23-2005, 11:23 PM
I wanted to stay away from "informal" trilogies. Otherwise, I'd have to include stuff like Argento's animal trilogy.

And thank you for that...I always hated that "animal trilogy" tag as it's a real stretch.

However, where the hell is Phantasm, and why I am I the first to mention it??

Phantasm has the same director and mostly the same actors all the way through. Although, even if it were to be included, I'd still have voted for Romero's Dead, as to me it's the best "true" trilogy listed. By "true" trilogy, I mean a series that has a beginning, middle, and an end, and encompasses a single concept. Not sure if a fourth Dead film is even needed, though you can bet I'll be seeing it.

Rocker10
05-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Kind of a hard choice for me as I am a very big fan of Romero's Dead trilogy and the Evil Dead trilogy. Had to go with Evil Dead trilogy although the other is very close behind it.

mandy bradley
05-24-2005, 05:19 PM
I have a tie with Romero's Dead and Poltergeist, those are both my favorite. There were a few others I love on this poll so it was a hard decision.

maskull
05-24-2005, 07:10 PM
I have a tie with Romero's Dead and Poltergeist, those are both my favorite. There were a few others I love on this poll so it was a hard decision.
did you like Poltergeist 3?

Cujo108
05-25-2005, 02:38 AM
Basket Case- these films are okay, but nothing special. Henenlotter did much better when it came to Aylmer.

The Omen- I love all three films, but the third, despite having Sam Neill, is a little weaker than I had hoped.

Slumber Party Massacre- love the first two, especially the weird as hell second film. The third one is a total bore though.

Sleepaway Camp- I love the first film, and while I enjoy the sequels, they can't compete with the first.

Scream- could care less about any of these.

Romero's Dead trilogy- three solid classics, and a great end to the trilogy with Day, the best of the three films.

Ringu- the original is wonderful, while the sequels are just decent.

ROTLD- the first and third films are excellent, the second sucks ass.

Poltergeist- don't care for any of them.

Maniac Cop- the first two are pretty good. Never saw the third.

It's Alive- all three films are good, but not great.

Ginger Snaps- three marvelous films. As good as the sequels are though, they can't touch the first.

Evil Dead- all excellent films, and I think they retain the same amount of quality from the original film to the last.

Thus, Evil Dead gets my vote for being the most consistent in quality. The Dead trilogy would be a close second.

rhett
05-25-2005, 02:52 AM
And thank you for that...I always hated that "animal trilogy" tag as it's a real stretch.

However, where the hell is Phantasm, and why I am I the first to mention it??

Phantasm has the same director and mostly the same actors all the way through. Although, even if it were to be included, I'd still have voted for Romero's Dead, as to me it's the best "true" trilogy listed. By "true" trilogy, I mean a series that has a beginning, middle, and an end, and encompasses a single concept. Not sure if a fourth Dead film is even needed, though you can bet I'll be seeing it.
Well, I never included PHANTASM because there is a forth, as much as many would like to forget OblIVion.

krugerkid13
05-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Ginger Snaps Trilogy followed closely by romeros dead trilogy

tobaccoman
05-25-2005, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By: rhett
Well, I never included PHANTASM because there is a forth, as much as many would like to forget OblIVion.Well, you included Omen and there is a fourth, as much as many would love to forget The Awakening!

And actually, I'd rather forget the third Phantasm over OblIVion even with all of it's stock footage.

tobaccoman
05-26-2005, 04:50 AM
Well after much contemplation, I've decided to give the honors to Romero's ongoing "Dead" trilogy. It's the only set of films up there in which each film is completely solid all around. I give a 10 to each one upon every viewing I have seen. Evil Dead was close, but Army Of Darkness was just way to comedic to for me to consider as best horror trilogy, at least when put up against Romero's trilogy of sorts.

bschulte
05-31-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm not surprised at all to see Romero kicking ass and taking names on this one. None of the others even comes close IMHO.

CasEjonz
06-05-2005, 12:51 AM
As great as Evil Dead is,its tough to beat the king!!! Romero's trilogy is the runaway winner for not only being a genre originator, but as a social commentary for each period these films were released.

Doombear
06-13-2005, 05:52 PM
The Candyman trilogy! (Chicago, New Orleans, Mexico City)
The Exorcist I, II, III (but now there's a part -1 and a part 0.666)
The Amityville theatrical releases had a nice trilogy, released in a recent box set
Witchboard trilogy was great

tobaccoman
06-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Class Of Nuke 'Em High
Predator (if you include AVP)
Scanners (although it's more sci-fi, is there a 4th one? I'm not sure, but I don't think so)