PDA

View Full Version : The thrill of LD's - announcement excitement

wago70
06-05-2005, 07:29 AM
I just watched my Roan LD's of DEMONS and DEMONS 2 and the quality is still very, VERY awesome. I zoomed in the image to fit my 16x9 screen and the picture was stable, clear, colorful...were it not for the film-like sheen, I could easily have been fooled to think I was watching DVD!
I remember when they were announced at $49.95 a copy. I bought them the day they appeared on the shelf at Tower.
In 1997, a local videostore ordered for me (without asking - they just assumed I'd buy it and they were right) a Japanese Box set from '97 featuring SUSPIRIA and DEEP RED. DEEP RED, to this day, looks amazing! SUSPIRIA, of course, looks much better on DVD since the image isn't the full width (it seems to be about 2.20:1 or so - not quite 2.35:1) and there are some flecks on the print in the opening titles (not laser rot, it's in the elements). Either way, titles like this made me absolutely mad for laserdiscs!
What were your favorite announced titles, anticipations and library goodies?

Hellbilly
06-05-2005, 08:04 AM
I got into LD rather late, around 1995 I think. One of my first orders included Tobe Hooper's The Mangler, which was announced as being uncut & widescreen. Turned out it was uncut only, and the widescreen bit a missprint from the retailer.
A year later they announced Ghost Story with a THX (!) certification but ya, turned out to be a missprint as well. Still bought that sucker though.
I remember ordering those Demons LDs but a few weeks later my retailer informed me that all were sold out ...
Never really had a most anticipated LD title, I was just happy to buy any NTSC LD in Europe at all. There was this small store in the next city that had quite a good selection of NTSC LDs and I usually ended up there once a month spending all my hard owned cash ;) Sadly, that store is no more - they closed down once DVDs got popular. Once in a while I see LDs popping up at DVD conventions though, but none so far was really worthy to buy.

bigdaddyhorse
06-05-2005, 04:21 PM
I got into laser way late, after I already had a dvd player but realized I could see Escape From NY and The Fog (as well a bunch of other stuff that was/still is only on laser) in WS with commentary. Sadly I have no good order stories.
The most excited I got my ebay orders was Escape From NY, one of my alltime favorites. I had just listened to commentary on The Thing dvd (and loved it, thus opening the floodgates for me to listen to many bad comm. tracks as well), and the barebones dvd of Escape wasn't even out yet, so to finally see the whole movie had me running to the mailbox everyday until it arrived.

wago70
06-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Has anyone ever bought doubles? I have two copies of the Mario Bava double feature from Elite: one early copy that cost $20 used and another mint used copy I got for $7!
Once I sold an Escape From New York LD on Ebay with my old laserdisc player because the SE DVD had been announced. Oddly, I never bought the SE DVD but instead (re)-bought a mint condition LD at Ameoba for only $5.
When I see mint condition LD's for only $5 (Argento, Fulci, Vincent Price, all the goodies once so rare), I'm always tempted to buy them even though I may still need the DVD upgrade! I think it's because there was a time when I couldn't even get some titles due to lack of money. Now, when I saw LIVING DEAD GIRL and ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST I snapped those up so fast (for about $19 each) AND found about $20 on the sidewalk on the way home!
There is a JAWS CAV mint (with book and CD) for only $9.99 - should I bite?

bigdaddyhorse
06-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Jaws is supposed to better than the dvd, or at least have a longer doc. and more delted scenes. If you're into extras, then chomp on it!
I kept my Escape From NY laser for the awesome gatefold cover, but the dvd is far better in every other aspect. Plus it has the whole cut "train station" opening that only clips are shown from on the laser.

Paff
06-06-2005, 07:05 PM
I don't remember specifically awaiting any major titles, but I did pick up the Image catalog every month and being excited over the upcoming releases.

I still have the issue that contains the listing Wago mentions above, the Roan "Spaghetti Nightmare" collection, featuring Demons 1 and 2, Phenomena, and Tenebrae.

One of the things I liked towards the end of LD was when certain titles were released, and had the "Laser ONLY" tag. Black Christmas was one of those, and I had that movie on LD years before any of the DVDs came out.

I think I also have the issue with the announcement of the Alien movies on DTS laser. Too bad those never came out.

horrorlover
06-06-2005, 08:56 PM
I never bought a laserdisc player or any laserdisc, but I remember when I was a kid wishing I had one because I loved the covers when I'd look at them at the rental store. Maybe I'm just a sucker for cool looking covers, I still buy records sometimes instead of the cd because I like the big artwork. Silly I know :banana:

Dave
06-07-2005, 01:30 AM
I think I also have the issue with the announcement of the Alien movies on DTS laser. Too bad those never came out.

Blame lack of preorders. DTS LD was niche of a niche. I'm glad we got what we did. Though it's hard to explain how some shit movies made preorder numbers and the Alien movies did not. I think newer movies just automatically sold more as retailers wanted to stock more.