PDA

View Full Version : Will you see High Tension in theaters?

rhett
06-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Despite being released uncut and in its original French language on several overseas discs, HAUTE TENSION will be going theatrical next week in dubbed English and Rated R. About a minute of objectional material has been trimmed to get the R, but it still looks to be mighty violent. Will these changes influence whether or not you see the picture in theaters? Where do you stand?

betterdan
06-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I will be seeing it in the theater Saturday morning. I don't have an all region player and I only know English so that helped me come to this decision.

Hellbilly
06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
original German language

:hum:

I feel sorry for American audiences because of the alternate version they are forced to watch in Theaters. I rather watch it untouched on DVD, thanks :)

KR~!
06-06-2005, 08:33 AM
Despite being released uncut and in its original German language on several overseas discs,

you mean French

Agent Z
06-06-2005, 08:56 AM
I've seen the uncut and subtitled version probably more times than is healthy now, but I already have my ticket for this Friday. :)

KamuiX
06-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Really needed an "already seen it" option. But hey, I think I'm going to see it even though I've seen it something like 5 or 6 times. I DID see it once in a theatre last year at the MD Film Fest (uncut and subbed, of course), but it was packed with horror fans. I'd like to see it with a general audience who are used to the Hollywood horror they've been seeing over the past couple years. I'm expecting slacked jaws :evil:

Agent Z
06-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Really needed an "already seen it" option. But hey, I think I'm going to see it even though I've seen it already something like 5 times. I saw it once in a theatre last year at the MD Film Fest, but it was packed with horror fans. I'd like to see it with a general audience who are used to the Hollywood horror they've been seeing over the past couple years. I'm expecting slacked jaws :evil:

Oh yeah, even with the cuts (and I've seen where a few are already), I still think this would be too intense for the mainstream crowds.

onebyone
06-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I want to see it in theaters just to see how it plays, but I am not sure if I actually will. I mean, I have a great DVD of the movie I watch a lot because this movie rocks, and then there is the whole problem with Mr. & Mrs. Smith opening on the 10th. I really want to see that too, and it kind of wins out over Haute Tension in that I haven't seen it before.

And I voted for "Yes, I prefer the dubbing and cutting" just because it was the funniest choice and "I dunno" wasn't an alternative.

Cujo108
06-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Nope. I have no reason to go see a cut version when I have a perfectly fine DVD of the film in its true form here at home. Haute Tension is my most watched DVD in a long time, but I never care to see High Tension.

maskull
06-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Yep, I'll see it in theatres. I've purposely not bought the uncut/subbed DVD so that when I see it in theatres, it'll be brand new and I won't be disappointed by the cuts and dubs. Well, dubs are always a little disappointing but I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

soxfan666
06-06-2005, 02:05 PM
I will be seeing this in theatres and it will be the first time i see this movie. I am going in with high hopes after the talk in the forums so i hope it doesnt suck.

tobaccoman
06-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Yep, I'll see it in theatres. I've purposely not bought the uncut/subbed DVD so that when I see it in theatres, it'll be brand new and I won't be disappointed by the cuts and dubs. Well, dubs are always a little disappointing but I'm hoping it won't be too bad.Yep. I wasn't going to go to it just because of Lion's Gate lying about their the release, but over the last month or so I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I will inevetibly go see it. Especially since there's been crap in theatres lately for horror, but that's about to change at least for the summer months.

rxfiend
06-06-2005, 03:28 PM
You need the option "I already own the Uncut DVD and will not support Lions Gate." :D
At any rate, i'll just stay at home and watch the real deal rather than some redubbed / cut version.

dwatts
06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Can't vote, because there's no option for "I already have the DVD since the US is late in getting this one".

Good flick.

hots4
06-06-2005, 03:47 PM
I have the uncut version on dvd, and there is no way in a million years i'm going to pay good money to see a watered down version of this period.

If lions gate do not have the balls to release this the way it was suppose to be seen (as it has been in many other areas), then fuck them!

rhett
06-06-2005, 04:25 PM
you mean French
My bad...I guess you can tell that I haven't seen it yet! :D

thrashard76
06-06-2005, 04:44 PM
I said Yes, but I wish it wasn't dubbed and cut. The truth is I might or might not. Its not a high priority right now.

KR~!
06-06-2005, 08:31 PM
My bad...I guess you can tell that I haven't seen it yet! :D

Still though, the lead actress is Cťcile De France , I mean come on :D

Yes I know she was born in Belgium

life_o_petey
06-06-2005, 09:00 PM
i haven't seen it yet, so i'll definitely see it in theaters. I'm not too thrilled about the dubbing though...

Grim
06-06-2005, 09:06 PM
I'll see it this Friday, then I plan on picking up one of the uncut discs. I'm sure they'll be at Horrorfind.

betterdan
06-06-2005, 10:07 PM
Good idea Grim I didn't even think about that.

Peter Vincent
06-06-2005, 10:48 PM
I was down to see this in theatres despite being 2 years old or whatever...'til I read about the minor cuts to get an 'R' (strike one) and the DUBBING (strike 2...and f*ck that STRIKE 3!)

I ordered a copy off of ebay with english subtitles for about $9

RyanPC
06-06-2005, 10:49 PM
It looks like this won't be playing in my area, so unless I can find a theater somewhere close to my area that is playing it, I dunno if I'll be able to see it. :(

betterdan
06-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Ryan this is probably a dumb question but how do you know what cities it will be playing in? You have me worried now that it won't be playing near me.

KR~!
06-06-2005, 11:11 PM
This is what I will be watching in a few days:

DVD FEATURES
#Anamorphic (16:9) Widescreen (2.35:1) Version
# French 5.1 and Stereo Audio
# Forced English Subtitles
# Audio commentary by director Alexandre Aja and actress Cecile De France (exclusive to this UK release!)
# 'Making Of' documentary
# Interviews with members of the cast and crew
# Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Artist Giannetto de Rossi
# Trailers

:banana: :evil: :banana:

RyanPC
06-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Ryan this is probably a dumb question but how do you know what cities it will be playing in? You have me worried now that it won't be playing near me.

Well I rarely go outside of my town to see movies at a theater, and I checked the website of the theater that I usually go to and they are not playing it. There are not many theaters in my town. :(

rhett
06-06-2005, 11:17 PM
It is getting a fairly wide release at 1,500 or so theaters, which is about the same amount of theaters that is playing CRASH. So if CRASH is anywhere near you, you should be okay.

betterdan
06-07-2005, 03:23 AM
Well both of the movie theaters we like going to are showing Crash right now so that's good I guess. The websites they are on show that there is no information for June 10th showings yet though.

Tien21
06-07-2005, 04:01 AM
I'm going to the latest showing on Friday night. It's gonna be great. I could care less if a minute was cut off for the R rating. This was I can actually see it (I'm only 14). Me and a bunch of friends decided on a day and time weeks ago. I don't know whether or not I prefer the dubbing or not because i havnt heard it yet. The commercial where he says "I'm gonna kill you!" sounds pretty great. I had a chance to buy the uncut version this past saturday in my local mall but I only had $15 on me :/
Anyway this flick is going to be awesome, and it will scare my friends shitless simply because none of them are horror freaks like me and half of them are girls.

KillerCannabis
06-07-2005, 04:23 AM
Theres a slim chance I'll see it in theaters, but more than likely I wont. I've already got the awesome R2 edition, which is fully uncut and subbed. I really don't need to see a hybrid-dubbed cut version for $9.00.

Franco
06-07-2005, 04:34 AM
No, 'cuz I already watched it on DVD and in uncut status !

And I'm not even sure whether it'll be shown here or not. Anyways, this is one of the best slashers I've seen in a long time along with Wrong Turn and probably ... House Of Wax which I going to watch tomorrow.

VideoViolence
06-07-2005, 06:46 AM
I'll go see it. A minute cut to get an R-rating is really no big deal. As long as it's released uncut on dvd.

tobaccoman
06-07-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't care whether Lion's Gate releases this uncut on dvd or not (although they should), I don't think I'll be getting it from them. I'll just go with a foreign release. I suppose I'll probaly wait to see how the Lion's Gate dvd is, godddammit I'm such a whore for this company. They're worse than Troma! Oh well, at least some of Lion's Gate's movies are worth enduring.

rxfiend
06-07-2005, 03:16 PM
I'll go see it. A minute cut to get an R-rating is really no big deal. As long as it's released uncut on dvd.

Well Lions Gate doesn't seem to like to release uncut dvds, so it would not surprise me at all if they release it as R.

baggio
06-07-2005, 03:34 PM
have the uncut dvd, so I probaly won't see it in the theater. Plus friends have no interest in seeing it.

maskull
06-07-2005, 03:46 PM
have the uncut dvd, so I probaly won't see it in the theater. Plus friends have no interest in seeing it.
I pretty much see all horror movies in the theatre by myself. My friends aren't into horror that much, and I like to go Friday afternoon when everyone else is working. Yep, I'm that geek, sitting in the theatre by himself. :)

Agent Z
06-07-2005, 07:04 PM
.....but how do you know what cities it will be playing in?

Go here (http://movies.yahoo.com/), put on some relaxing music and enter your zip code.

tobaccoman
06-07-2005, 07:29 PM
WTF! It says it's not showing here in Fargo. That's fuct up shit. Hell, we even got Bubba Ho-Tep, Donnie Darko (dc), and A Very Long Engagement. Well it shows our small theatre that usually carries those as not listed, guess I'll have to keep an eye on the paper to see if they pick it up.

Agent Z
06-07-2005, 07:57 PM
WTF! It says it's not showing here in Fargo. That's fuct up shit. Hell, we even got Bubba Ho-Tep, Donnie Darko (dc), and A Very Long Engagement. Well it shows our small theatre that usually carries those as not listed, guess I'll have to keep an eye on the paper to see if they pick it up.

Well, I am assuming that you checked the correct date? If so, then check back on Thursday. The listings are updated as the theaters send in the updates, so while some theaters already have their Friday lineups in, others don't.

aoiookami
06-07-2005, 08:06 PM
Nope. I own the uncut dvd, and I definately wont support the censored, dubbed version.

welb25
06-07-2005, 08:10 PM
No way am I going to see this.

betterdan
06-07-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks mission. That link shows that 2 theaters I have never been to at Va. Beach are for sure showing it. The other 2 theaters that we always go to haven't updated to show everything they will be showing on Friday yet but hopefully High Tension will be at those 2 also. Does that make any sense?

maskull
06-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I'm just hoping my boss doesn't call and tell me I have to work on Friday.

betterdan
06-08-2005, 07:39 PM
I just checked and it is playing at almost every theater around me. :)

Myron Breck
06-10-2005, 12:18 AM
I was so jazzed about this until I saw it was dubbed. Then I saw that it's also been edited for content. What is this, AMC?!?!
I shall wait for a R1 release. And if Lions Gate fucks it up, I'll buy overseas.

Regardless, I'll be seeing this in some form or other.

DVDBone
06-10-2005, 02:37 AM
I saw a screening of the hybrid cut last night. The cuts weren't all that extreme (except for the first death scene). While of course I would much rather see the NC-17 cut with all of the gore, it really doesn't make sense for Lion's Gate to release that version theatrically. NC-17 is the kiss of death since lots of theaters will not show NC-17 movies and they can't get decent advertising.

Now as for the dubbing, everyone's probably going to hate me for this, but it works! There's not all that much dialogue except for the first 20 minutes. The way the dubbing works is that Marie speaks English when dealing with the family (since they have been made American in this version) but speaks French when speaking to herself or any of the other characters. The dubbing is slightly annoying at first but again I have to agree with Lion's Gate decision to release it this way. When I saw the screening last night, the theater was packed. Probably about 6-10 people walked out during the course of the film. I can guarantee you that a ton more people would have walked out if the first 20 minutes were subtitled. Most horror movies ae marketed to the 18-24 crowd and this crowd does not want to read subtitles. That's just the way kids in America are these days. Trust me, this movie would be DOA if it were released NC-17 and dubbed. We all just have to have confidence in Lion's Gate that they will release the DVD in it's original form.

This has kind of been a rant, but I highly encourage all of you to check it out. This is a movie for us hardcore horror lovers and we need to show Lion's Gate and the industry that this is the type of stuff we want ... not watered down PG-13 shit like The Ring 2 and The Grudge. For people that have never seen High Tension, this is a no brainer. The gore is still excellent and you won't even know what you're missing. For fans that love the original French version, I recommend you see it too. You'll be slightly disappointed by the cuts but seeing this in a theater with a group of people is an awesome experience. Just my two cents ...

Ash28M
06-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Ebert gave Haute Tension One star. He's reviews sounds like he made up his mind to hate it before he even sat down to watch it. Not to mention he didn't give more then a half a second analyzation of the ending. Probably the most uninsightfull review I have read from him.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050609/REVIEWS/50601001/1023

KR~!
06-10-2005, 03:37 PM
He doesn't like horror films. It's extremely rare for him to give a horror film a good rating.
So take it for what it's worth

Peter Vincent
06-10-2005, 03:58 PM
I had a pre-screening pass for Thursday, but couldn't go so gave it to my sis & her husband.

She said the dubbing was obvious, but still gory nonetheless. The audience's reaction was generally positive, except for a couple of old fogies that nearly had a heart attack!

dwatts
06-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I thought Ebert's review was fair. I don't agree with him, but it's reasonable for a film that a) He obviously hated, b) Has a hook at the end that he doesn't want to give away.

He mentions the gore, the rating fiasco, and the dubbing (which he hated). Seems reasonable.

tobaccoman
06-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Oooh, shit! It's Friday, gotta go check the theatrical listings in my area. If it's here, I'm going today, goddammit.

Shannafey
06-10-2005, 05:40 PM
I didn't know it was starting today. My local paper gave it a D. She mentioned the cuts and the dubbing, but said that she couldn't forgive a major plot hole. Does anyone know what she mean't? I assume that it'll hurt the film to point it out, but story is everything to me. Can someone enlighten me on this, if you know what she mean't? Does it hurt the film?

tobaccoman
06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
I haven't seen it yet, but I've heard that if you want it to make any sense you MUST pay attention to the first 15 minutes. Not so much the dialogue as much as to what's going on.

Ash28M
06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I didn't know it was starting today. My local paper gave it a D. She mentioned the cuts and the dubbing, but said that she couldn't forgive a major plot hole. Does anyone know what she mean't? I assume that it'll hurt the film to point it out, but story is everything to me. Can someone enlighten me on this, if you know what she mean't? Does it hurt the film?

There is really not plot holes. But it's easily to see how someone may think that after only watching it once.

tobaccoman
06-10-2005, 05:55 PM
It's at the theatre in our local mall and I will be going at 12:35 p.m. (do I use a period after that sentence, I guess it doesn't matter now that I typed this).

tobaccoman
06-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Shit, I just checked my wallet and I only have $3. Looks like I'll have to sell The Brood and Maniac Cop to see this in theatres. Damn you Lion's Gate. Oh well, I know I'm getting the R2 Brood SE, hopefully we can get a better release of the latter in the next year or so (that Legacy release was tainting my collection anyways).

MorallySound
06-10-2005, 06:08 PM
It's not playing at any theatres where I live, dammit!

KR~!
06-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Anyone who bitches about plot holes, must have been too busy eating popcorn and drinking soda to pay close attention to the beginning of the film. They completely give away the so called "twist ending" right at the start!

Agent Z
06-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Ebert gave Haute Tension One star. He's reviews sounds like he made up his mind to hate it before he even sat down to watch it. Not to mention he didn't give more then a half a second analyzation of the ending. Probably the most uninsightfull review I have read from him.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050609/REVIEWS/50601001/1023

Not only did Ebert miss the boat on understanding the twist, but he also ripped on the UK title Switchblade Romance, saying that it seemed ill-fitting for a film like this. I think that if Ebert truly understood the film's twisted theme on unrequited love he would agree that Switchblade Romance is actually a very fitting title indeed.

Mok
06-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Not one of you guys here van explain how in the fuck:

1. the killer somehow had a van near where her friend's family lived. The two chicks had clearely just arrived there from a long road trip.

2. there was no car chase at the end? There was no car? What the fuck?

3. Any conversation with the gasoline station attendant is null and void as is most of the events in the film because it "was all in her head" :gay: :rolleyes:

I can't believe you guys are so accepting of this! It's like I've said before, the story made it quite clear to the audience that the girl was suspicious - then did everything in it's power to dispell any of those suspicions by proving through the film we see that she could not have done it. Then oops! We fooled you, it was all in her mind :p

Agent Z
06-10-2005, 08:32 PM

1. the killer somehow had a van near where her friend's family lived. The two chicks had clearely just arrived there from a long road trip.

2. there was no car chase at the end? There was no car? What the fuck?

3. Any conversation with the gasoline station attendant is null and void as is most of the events in the film because it "was all in her head" :gay: :rolleyes:

I can't believe you guys are so accepting of this! It's like I've said before, the story made it quite clear to the audience that the girl was suspicious - then did everything in it's power to dispell any of those suspicions by proving through the film we see that she could not have done it. Then oops! We fooled you, it was all in her mind :p

Concerning your points 1,2, and 3: you basically just answered them yourself. The only events in the film that we know for sure to have happened in pretty much the same fashion that they are presented through flashbacks at the end are that a) Marie killed Alex's family and b) Marie killed the gas station clerk. Any and all of the other events in the story are open to being (and, in my opinion, most likely are) complete and total fabrications to help Marie complete her fantasy and perhaps, as a rationalization tool to help her cope/repress from her fragile psyche what she actually did.

Paff
06-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Mok, do us (and yourself a favor). Do NOT, under any circumstances, EVER see the film Mullholland Dr.

If Haute Tension annoys you with stuff like this, Mullholland Dr. will literally kill you. In fact, you might as well cross off your list Rashomon, Memento, and any other film which offers a different perspective based on the point of view of an altered reality.

Nemesis
06-10-2005, 09:39 PM
i've been meaning to see Mullholland Dr. for a while, i hope it's good...

as for this film? loved it

Mok
06-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Mok, do us (and yourself a favor). Do NOT, under any circumstances, EVER see the film Mullholland Dr.

If Haute Tension annoys you with stuff like this, Mullholland Dr. will literally kill you. In fact, you might as well cross off your list Rashomon, Memento, and any other film which offers a different perspective based on the point of view of an altered reality.

Mullholland Dr. - saw it, loved it. There is a fine line to be crossed when a film breaks the "rules" like that. Mullholland drive didn't pretend to be a slasher film with a twist. It was a twist. Like a dream, it doesn't hide the fact that things do not add up. There was mystery in figuring out how the pieces to Mullholand drive fit, and in the end they actually do. Yes some of that is explained as "it was in her mind" but it is executed in a way that provokes you to think about the film, to interpret it for yourself. High Tension blatantly tells you that you are a fool for believing anything we just showed you because we liked Fightclub and thought we'd be clever. LAME!!!

What was the big deal with Momento? That made perfect sense. Haven't seen the other one. My argument isn't about seeing different presentations of reality, it's more to do with this film jumping to an unavailable conclusion. I don't give a fuck what they showed us at the beginning, they disproved all possibility that the chick was the killer multiple times throughout the film. I bet you they came up with that ending half way or even right at the end of filming, tacked on the opening sequence and then sat back like they were geniuses. :rolleyes:

Paff
06-10-2005, 10:27 PM
First of all, I'm not even a huge fan of the film. The first 2/3 are way too derivative of Intensity for me.

But, I don't have a problem with the ending at all, and I think everything was explained perfectly. Just like Mullholland Dr., you have a woman in love with another woman she can't have, and concocts a bizarre fantasy where she "rescues" her lover from a bad situation. She gets so wrapped up in the fantasy, she has to start actually acting out the events (both from her side and from the mythical "killer") so as not to snap her out of her dream world. Why is it like Rashomon and Memento? Because we see the stories unfold through HER eyes, even if that's not the way things really happened. As far as the ending being "tacked on"....absolutely not. I've seen the movie twice, and it all fits together. Notice how Marie's friend (name escapes me) is NOT thrilled when Marie comes to her "rescue", and even fights back at her.

So it seemed like a typical slasher film then changed. So what? Does every movie have to follow a strict set of "rules"? I actually LIKE it when a movie makes me question everything I just saw. First thing I want to do is see it again when that happens.

It ain't exactly high art, not as wonderful as people are making it out to be, but the story twists make perfect sense to me, and is not a cop-out or rip-off in any way.

KR~!
06-10-2005, 10:27 PM
High Tension blatantly tells you that you are a fool for believing anything we just showed you because we liked Fightclub and thought we'd be clever. LAME!!!

You couldn't figure out the ending of Fight Club? They let you know it was all in his head from the get go, I never thought it wasn't, I mean they even shown Brad Pitt flashing in and out of reality before his character was introduced. How could anyone think he was a real person? :confused:

tobaccoman
06-10-2005, 10:37 PM
Just got back and needless to say am a bit confused. I mean, I understand it fine, I just think it'll take another viewing or two to totally click, you know what I mean. Besides that it was absolutely wonderful, definitely the best horror film I've seen theatrically and for that I give it a 10. However, the fact that it's not "Haute Tension", I will take it back down to a 9. I was semi-drunk so that may attribute to my lesser understanding of the so-called twist. Either way, this movie is filled with extremely memorable scenes.

Now onto the tampering! The only problem I really had was the HORRIBLE dubbing (mostly the synching) towards the beginning of the film and the lack of an explanation as to why they speak both English and French. After about 30 minutes the movie becomes really dark, so the remaining English dialouge is alright since you can't see their lips flapping. It still wasn't so bad (hell, we do watch Italian horror movies with dubbing that oftentimes matches this). As for cut gore, I only noticed one scene that was pretty obviously cut-away and that was the second kill. It still remained extremely gruesome though, so no real complaint in that department either.

Now I just can't wait to get the DVD, hopefully LGF releases it properly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Grim
06-11-2005, 05:54 AM
I saw it tonight. Ending kind of angered me, but other than that this was a great, good ol' fashioned slasher movie. I can't even begin to think what was cut out of this film, as it was brutal as all hell.

KR~!
06-11-2005, 06:06 AM
I saw it tonight. Ending kind of angered me, but other than that this was a great, good ol' fashioned slasher movie. I can't even begin to think what was cut out of this film, as it was brutal as all hell.

Here you go: http://chud.com/interviews/3284

DeathDealer
06-11-2005, 06:41 AM
Whoever the fuck voted for the second option is not a fan of horror and cinema. PERIOD.

RyanPC
06-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Whoever the fuck voted for the second option is not a fan of horror and cinema. PERIOD.

Huh? Lots of people love dubbing. And as for the cutting, sometimes it can help (Deep Red being a case in point, although none of the gore was cut from that... it was more of a pacing issue). This isn't to say, however, that I voted for the second option. ;)

thrashard76
06-11-2005, 07:17 AM

Don't forget Swimming Pool.

betterdan
06-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Well we went to see this today and I liked the parts we saw.
Unfortunately we had a terrible experience at the movies. First of all the trailers were playing then all of a sudden the lights come back on and the projector stops. We wait and wait for the lights to go back out and the trailers to start back up but nothing happens. I look up in the projector booth and no one is in there. I go to the ticket booth and tell them the movie isn't playing and they radio someone. By the time I get back in the theater the trailers have already started back up. Isn't there supposed to be someone in there all the time?
Anyways, so the movie starts and for some reason they have it displaying very small on the screen. Ah well I try to forget that but then everytime a subtitle comes up on the screen there is a wide white line going across the top of the screen. It only happens during the subtitles but very annoying. The last little thing that happened is there was some fat guy with 2 kids around 15 that come in and sit about 5 seats down from us at about 5 minutes into the movie. The whole thaeter had only around 15 people including us so I have no idea why they sat by us. They talked during the movie and pretty loud. I said out loud twice "Please be quiet". My wife whispered to me "Let's just move seats" I told her ok but as soon as we started to get up the assholes started laughing extremely loud and screaming :eek2: I got pissed and I said "Will you shut the hell up?" When we got up to move I heard the fat ass say "What did he just say to me?" I then said "I said shut the hell up!" We moved down a few rows but by then the movie was ruined so we left and got our money back.
My wife was kinda pissed at me and said that I didn't have to say that, all we had to do was move. Fuck that hog and his two piglets, I was excited to see this and I was even putting up with the other bullshit that happened like the white line and the idiot not in the booth and that jerk and his kids were just the last straw. I guess I'll see the whole thing when I get the dvd. :(

Nemesis
06-12-2005, 12:46 AM
just go back to the cinema another day and see it :)

onebyone
06-12-2005, 12:54 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am laughing with you, not at you dan, I swear.

I thought you seeing this movie on time seemed a little unlikely, and sure enough...

KR~!
06-12-2005, 12:55 AM
And that's why I rather watch films on DVD folks!

heck DVDs are sometimes cheaper than tickets these days :o :fucked:

tobaccoman
06-12-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By onebyone
I am laughing with you, not with you dan, I swear.I don't get it.

betterdan
06-12-2005, 01:05 AM
just go back to the cinema another day and see it :)
No thanks. The experience was ruined and I am not taking another chance.
I guess there was a somewhat funny thing that happened out of all of this. After I talked to the manager and asked for our money back, my wife informed me I had little bits of popcorn on my face the whole time I was talking to him. :o
I just can't get any respect.

Nemesis
06-12-2005, 01:17 AM
i'm half way through downloading the BF2 demo.. maybe later you can try and gain a little of that respect back ;)

betterdan
06-12-2005, 02:03 AM
I have been playing the BF2 demo on both computers nem. Lemme know when you wanna die and where :)
I hope you don't mind if I think of you as that fatass at the theater, it helps me concentrate on killing you more.

rxfiend
06-12-2005, 02:07 AM
No thanks. The experience was ruined and I am not taking another chance.
I guess there was a somewhat funny thing that happened out of all of this. After I talked to the manager and asked for our money back, my wife informed me I had little bits of popcorn on my face the whole time I was talking to him. :o
I just can't get any respect.

just purchase an uncut import dvd and watch it at home.

Its reasons like that why I prefer the drive-in. No one to bug you and you can turn up the sound if anyone around you is being annoying.

betterdan
06-12-2005, 02:38 AM
I love the drive in also but the closest one is a few hours away and always seems to play kiddy crap. I prefer just getting the dvd most of the time but dammit I wanted to see this at the theater.

Paff
06-12-2005, 02:49 AM
I hate experiences like this too, but sometimes you have to take the risk. I don't care how big your screen at home is, there's nothing like seeing celluloid projected onto a huge screen, with a GOOD audience. One that shuts up, but laughs at the right time, screams at the right time, jumps at the right time, etc.

Dan, as for your remark that "Shouldn't someone be there the whole time?", well, it depends.
Most theaters have ONE projection booth for all the screens. They actually splice all the trailers together, and all the reels of film together. Then they put 'em on these big ass discs, and just throw 'em on.
Some older theaters still do the two projector system, but that's rare nowadays. Most of the time, the projectionist will look out, see that everything is OK, and come back when the movie is over. So if you have a problem with the projection, complain immediately (like you did), or it may never get fixed as there's no one monitoring it.

Nemesis
06-12-2005, 02:54 AM
i had a problem with the projection of Ong Bak at the theatre here.. they had stretched or squashed it or something (can't remember).. just went out and complained.. within a few minutes it was all fixed :)

maskull
06-12-2005, 03:00 AM
So I guess this movie hasn't been released in theatres in Canada...or at least not around here (Toronto area). Oh well.

RiverEuphrates
06-12-2005, 04:00 AM
Is the storyline in High Tension a common one? As I was watching the movie - I started to realize that I had seen another movie with very similar situations - I'm talking about the Dean Koontz made for tv movie -Intensity. Has anyone else seen that? At some points I couldn't believe how similar they were. But this is the serial killer genre of movies we're talking about here - "borrowing" from other movies is what it's all about. Of course - High Tension's ending was quite a bit different.

Edit - Just read the other posts - glad to read I'm not the only one thinking it was similar to Intensity.

onebyone
06-12-2005, 04:02 AM
Early box office estimates (http://boxofficeguru.com/061105.htm) are predicting this made just a bit under 2 million this weekend, so if you are going to see it, you better make it quick. In the busy summer box office, it is going to get dropped fast.

I was watching the movie - I started to realize that I had seen another movie with very similar situations - I'm talking about the Dean Koontz made for tv movie -Intensity. Has anyone else seen that? .

**Waits for Shoes to come in and make a comment.** In other words, yes, people mention that a lot. Just read any thread on the movie and you will find countless comments about it.

RiverEuphrates
06-12-2005, 04:17 AM
Ah - thank you onebyone. It's always good to be reminded of the true nature of the internet - if I've noticed something - chances are that it's already been discussed in complete detail by people who are far more knowledgable than I.

onebyone
06-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Ah - thank you onebyone. It's always good to be reminded of the true nature of the internet - if I've noticed something - chances are that it's already been discussed in complete detail by people who are far more knowledgable than I. :D

Not more knowledgable, they just saw it before you did. If you saw it earlier, I am sure you would have beaten everyone to the punch.

Except for maybe shoes.

RiverEuphrates
06-12-2005, 04:34 AM

jak
06-12-2005, 04:47 AM
I tell ya' I still haven't watched it, mainly because of the cuts.

The way I justify it is simple. Why spend close to $7 to watch a cut film, when I can spend maybe $10 and own the uncut version?

tobaccoman
06-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Apparrently to have some big, old, flatulent lady rippin' ass while her three kids run around the cineplex screaming bloody murder and some punk kids throw milk duds at the big-screen causing the whole fucking film to stop. Meanwhile, the projectionist is jacking off, but not to this movie.

KR~!
06-12-2005, 05:05 AM
Stop the madness....

quotes:

When I saw "Haute Tension" at Sundance, a geek-fight broke out at the Q & A, with various horror buffs accusing the director of plagiarizing a Dean Koontz novel. I tended to agree with the director's defense that the film is a smorgasbord of influences, Koonz being just one, and survivalist films like Deliverance being another. Highly recommended for slasher fans.

The Q&A after the midnight showing of the French slasher film "Haute Tension" ("High Tension") got a little tense itself. Viewers pointed out that the plot - a young woman witnesses the slaughter of her best friend's family, then hides in the killer's van - is, despite a new twist ending, lifted from Dean Koontz's 1995 bestseller "Intensity." But Koontz is nowhere to be found in the credits.

Caught off guard by this line of questioning, director Alexandre Aja was now the one doing the squirming. He owned up to reading the Koontz novel. "The beginning is quite similar," he conceded, "but it's a classic story: two girls in a house with a killer ... It's a tribute to all slasher films."

Last night I received phone call after phone call from my brother in extreme excitement. He had just witnessed the ultra disgusting, ultra amazing, Haute Tension (Switchblade Romance). My bro said that there were some really rude and obnoxious individuals during the question and answer session after the movie. He said they were calling the film a "Dean Koontz" rip-off. My brother got pissed off and flipped out at the group of morons. He told them they were being disrespectful and that they are there to enjoy peoples movies and not be assholes about them. God bless people like my bro. Haute Tension is coming to the US in 2004 thanks to Lions Gate Films.

Agent Z
06-12-2005, 08:59 AM
My wife was kinda pissed at me and said that I didn't have to say that, all we had to do was move.

Don't tell your better half, but I would side with you on this one. You shouldn't have to move on account of someone else being rude.

That's a damn shame that you had to go through that man. I'm lucky that I'm part vampire with my work schedule, so I can go to matinees and spend time with nicer crowds who are actually there to, believe it or not, be quiet and watch the film. What a concept.

Ash28M
06-12-2005, 10:24 PM

I don't understand how you think they tried to fool you?

Right at the beginning she tells the people who are interviewing her " is it recording" Therefore obviously everything that that is going to happen next is her story of what happened.

What part of that gives you the impression that they tried to fool, or cheated you? Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

tobaccoman
06-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Also from my understanding at least after giving it some time to filter through my mind:
Once the reveal of who the killer is over the C-store video, we start to see the story unfold from both her point-of-view and whoever is interrogating her. Let it be known also, that all of the interrogations facts are inconclusive causing a lot of confusion for us the viewers. Much like a court trial, we are left to weed through the testimonies and come to our own conclusion.

mutleyhyde
06-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Dan, you did the right thing. Same thing happened to me at Devil's Rejects (people-wise that is... the projection was fine) and I damn sure as hell said something. It worked too.

Tien21
06-13-2005, 02:12 AM
Wow this movie only made 1.75 mil this weekend. I would have thought it would make more. I saw it and I must say I loved it, besides the minor plot holes(where the police find the tape of the girl killing the clerk). I didn't like the ending although I didn't hate it either. I would have rather had it all be real like everyone else. Oh well...could have been perfect.

betterdan
06-13-2005, 02:16 AM
Can you please use spoiler tags? I have already had the movie ruined at the theater, don't ruin it on the boards too. Thanks.

Ash28M
06-13-2005, 03:05 AM
Wow this movie only made 1.75 mil this weekend. I would have thought it would make more. I saw it and I must say I loved it, besides the minor plot holes(where the police find the tape of the girl killing the clerk). .

I wouldn't call that a plot hole.

At that moment the film switches from her telling the story to what really happened in reality

rxfiend
06-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Wow this movie only made 1.75 mil this weekend. I would have thought it would make more.

Lions Gate should have released it subbed and uncut. If their editing only brought 1.75; untouched, it could have at least brought that in, if not more (i know i would have made an effort to watch it on the big screen if it was in it's original form).

Tien21
06-13-2005, 05:44 AM
It was just a really bad time to release this movie. American audiences generally won't like this movie in the first place. The average moviegoer doesn't like dubbing or subtitles, nor do they like confusing endings. The movie just isn't marketable in America, I must say. Its kinda sad really. If there is a twist in a movie they want it spoonfed to them like SAW. I don't really see The Devil's Rejects making all that much either, but compared to this it will make a truckload of money. LG promises to give it the widest release of all of their movies to date.

About the plot holes in High Tension(highlight)-I thought when the police saw her kill the clerk it was a plot hole only because it was through their perspective and not Marie's.

IGotsNewShoes
06-13-2005, 06:01 AM
Well according to some the whole movie is just Marie's version of what happened, the car chase couldn't have happened cause it was only her blah blah blah....yet when she's in the institution at the end, she has the injuries from the car wreck. that's not a plot hole though.

Ash28M
06-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Well according to some the whole movie is just Marie's version of what happened, the car chase couldn't have happened cause it was only her blah blah blah....yet when she's in the institution at the end, she has the injuries from the car wreck. that's not a plot hole though.

Again Iím still not sure what's so confusing if you just think outside the box a little bit ..

The only one knows what exactly happened that night was Marie and in the state she was in. I'm not sure she even knows. So she could have sustained those injuries any number of ways including self inflicted.

This is why I have grown to love the ending and why I find it quite original. the movie can make as little sense or as much sense as your willing to invest in it.

Mok
06-13-2005, 04:08 PM
By the way, the whole scene at the beginning..
She wakes up the car and tell her friend that that was a dream she just had. It actually wasn't reality in advance at that point. I guess she was psychic too :rolleyes: :p

Ash28M
06-13-2005, 04:18 PM
By the way, the whole scene at the beginning..
She wakes up the car and tell her friend that that was a dream she just had. It actually wasn't reality in advance at that point. I guess she was psychic too :rolleyes: :p

This scene was a mix of her recalling her dream to the investigators/Doctors along with director presenting some foreshadowing for the viewer watching the film.

wizzer
06-13-2005, 04:47 PM
This scene was a mix of her recalling her dream to the investigators/Doctors along with director presenting some foreshadowing for the viewer watching the film.

:lol:

dude, you should field the questions for the director at his Q and A sessions

Ash28M
06-13-2005, 04:55 PM

dude, you should field the questions for the director at his Q and A sessions

Yeah sometimes i feel I've analyzed the twist more than I should give the director credit for:)

Mok
06-13-2005, 04:56 PM

I thought she told her friend about the dream, no? In the car ride at the beginning.

Ash28M
06-13-2005, 04:58 PM
I thought she told her friend about the dream, no? In the car ride at the beginning.
Yes but this is all still in the context of her telling the story of what happened that night to the investigators..

Mok
06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Yes but this is all still in the context of her telling the story of what happened that night to the investigators..

But they caught her on surveillance.. :hum:

Agent Z
06-13-2005, 08:26 PM
But they caught her on surveillance.. :hum:

There are moments in the film (moreso as it reaches the conclusion) where the narrative switches to reveals (like the police reviewing the surveillance tape, Marie's hand dropping the bullets out the window, and Marie killing Alex's family)

soxfan666
06-13-2005, 08:41 PM
I saw this the other day and i was wondering if

She didn't even know alex i.e. the dream she tells her about at the beginning never happened. they didnt go to school together she just picked this house. that is why she had the van and why we see the van at the beginning with the killer getting head from the head. so the forshadowing and psychic stuff was all part of her story, maybe. I can't remember if alex ever calls her marie after the twist is revealed, so she may have never met alex until she is woken up and bound.

someone may have said this already. and do i make any sense?

Agent Z
06-13-2005, 08:47 PM
I saw this the other day and i was wondering if

She didn't even know alex i.e. the dream she tells her about at the beginning never happened. they didnt go to school together she just picked this house. that is why she had the van and why we see the van at the beginning with the killer getting head from the head. so the forshadowing and psychic stuff was all part of her story, maybe. I can't remember if alex ever calls her marie after the twist is revealed, so she may have never met alex until she is woken up and bound.

someone may have said this already. and do i make any sense?

Good observation! :) I've had the same theory going through my head also. I think it's ultimately up to the viewer. I tend to think about them actually being friends beforehand, but you could make great cases for either scenario.

Cujo108
06-13-2005, 11:43 PM
^

I actually never thought that was the case. At least to me it doesn't seem to be Aja's intentions. While she's obviously psychotic, I think Marie's love is too strong for her not to have been friends with Alex. I also don't think Alex would be coming to the mental hospital if she didn't know her. Just my 2 cents anyway.

Also, I don't think its at all a stretch that she got that truck from somewhere on the farm. It was said that they had just bought it recently. Who knows what was still lying around.

Agent Z
06-14-2005, 06:21 AM
^

I actually never thought that was the case. At least to me it doesn't seem to be Aja's intentions. While she's obviously psychotic, I think Marie's love is too strong for her not to have been friends with Alex. I also don't think Alex would be coming to the mental hospital if she didn't know her. Just my 2 cents anyway.

That is why I tend to lean more towards them being friends beforehand, as it tends to hit a more emotional nerve and makes it all that much more effective.

tobaccoman
06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
But reading that they might not have been friends ever really does help cover up the so-called plot holes. Goddammit, every couple hours I think more and more about this.

Myron Breck
06-14-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm going to go see it at its first matinee in hopes that there won't be anyone else in the theater--Any talkative teens or infants and I'm out to the box office for a full refund.
Now I'll finally get to see what's behind all of these blue boxes!!!! :)

tobaccoman
06-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Umm, the first matinee was probably last Friday unless Atlanta became a inbreed shit-town. But by all means, if you haven't seen it, do so.

Myron Breck
06-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Umm, the first matinee was probably last Friday unless Atlanta became a inbreed shit-town. But by all means, if you haven't seen it, do so.

:lol: Yeah, that sums it up for me.

I just meant the first matinee of the day--I figured a weekday would be better.
Sorry. I assumed everyone would assume.

tobaccoman
06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
As I posted in one of the other "High/Haute Tension" threads, I might be going back for a second viewing so....

Myron Breck
06-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Just got back and I must say that I did enjoy it quite a lot--the filmmakers were obviously heavily influenced by TCM, HILLS HAVE EYES, MANIAC, HALLOWEEN and others. I think horror newbies would love this if given the chance. The look was SO similar to TCM that it kind of bugged me, but if I hadn't seen it so many times it might have seemed new to me.
I'm not sure how to use spoilers so I won't go into any twists or theories about the characters. Everyone's done enough of that to cover the bases anyway.
If you haven't seen it, you should go. The dubbing doesn't long and the last 3/4 of the movies is in French w/subs.

Agent Z
06-16-2005, 10:09 AM
I caught a screening Monday afternoon and, despite having seen the uncut dvd with subs many times already, I was glad to have seen this beautifully-shot film on the big screen, albeit with the cuts and the strange mixture of subtitles and dubbing.

A word on the dubbing: it just doesn't work. The film is great for stretches and draws you in and then they pop in some more awkward dubbing and it reminds you that you are watching a film being dumbed-down for the convenience of the stereotypical lazy target audience that LGF feels it needs to cater to.

As for the cuts, I was actually surprised with what was taken out and what was left in. The decapitation was all but cut to hell and yet, we still get a quick glimpse of the concrete saw going into the motorist's torso.

Myron Breck
06-18-2005, 04:44 AM
That's the great thing about censorship of any sort, it rarely makes sense.

Gothic Queen
06-25-2005, 09:50 PM
I loved this film and was delightfully surprized with the ferocity and gore. I think the title is very fitting. As for the subtitles...I actually feel sorry for all thoes lazy bastards who poo poo everything that needs subtitles. Here are a few great subtitled films that are worth the effort: Anatomy, the Eye, Kung Fu Hustle, and Old Boy.

Demon
07-04-2005, 12:59 AM
Oh My, Gothic Queen and I agree........this film was down right awesome, I saw it a week before Land of the Dead (and I'm a huge Romero fan) but this movie smoked Land!

maskull
07-05-2005, 12:11 AM
Apparently my answer is no. I couldn't find it playing in any theatres near me. Jerks! :(

Mattster
07-10-2005, 08:22 AM
I just throught of something while perusing old threads.

I guess this can be a case of unacceptable dubbing, but I want to give an example of what is acceptable, and the type of resulting behavior that is not. Just for my own sake and to maybe get a few laughs out of it.

So I'm a film major and for one of the required courses we watch a lot of old foreign stuff. Well we all had to watch The Bicycle Thief, this old Italian flick. In my class we watched it in Italian with subtitles.

However, in a class my friend had, they watched it dubbed. The reason being is that the projector wasn't aligned properly or something and the back rows couldn't see the subtitles at all. So this bitch supercool film student starts complaining because they're watching it dubbed, not caring that the last few rows won't know what the hell's going on just for the sake of being a bitch pretentious asshole. Anyway, some guy told him to shut the fuck up and he stormed out. Problem solved.

Just wanted to share a story about how the negativity of dubbing is often blown way out of proportion. Let's face it, this is not a subtitle-loving nation. I work at Blockbuster. People don't want to read a movie.

X-human
07-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Subtitling can also be distracting from the performances and on screen action. Sometimes you have to really weight that, "What will I get out of a direct translation of what they say compared to what I miss out while trying to read subtitles." It probably takes a couple of viewings with subtitles before you start to 'really' get a movie. For some people, honestly, there's not real benefit to subtitling.

I rather liked the way they handled the dubbed mixed with subtitling in Haute Tension, towards the end weren't they pretty much sticking to all French anyways? It changes things slightly, but I don't think perceptions were changed by it. And the director supervised it too, if he's happy I'm happy.

KR~!
07-10-2005, 09:37 AM
Just wanted to share a story about how the negativity of dubbing is often blown way out of proportion. Let's face it, this is not a subtitle-loving nation. I work at Blockbuster. People don't want to read a movie.

Of course, dumbing down of America (http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com) is in full effect.

Subtitling can also be distracting from the performances and on screen action.

I think it's the other way around, since most dubbing actors are hardly ever as good as the real ones. Bad dubbing can ruin a performance, well it nearly always does.

Ash28M
07-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm with KR on this. Dubbing totally ruins the performances for me. Most of the time the entire mood of the film is thrown off when you dub it. The only films I seem to be able to tolerate it in are Italian horror and thatís only because most of them were meant to be dubbed from the get go, that and the visuals are the biggest driving force in them. Imagine watching a Japanese horror film dubbed. That would ruin the entire experience because there are so heavily driven by the mood of the film. Dubbing would just ruin that. The way I see it watching the film dubbed is the equivalent of watching a film pan and scan. There has been more then one time that I have watched a film dubbed, didnít like it, and then watched it subbed and enjoyed it so much more because the mood of the film was totally different the second time around.

X-human
07-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Before recently you had people saying to buy the French disc w/o subtitles because you didn't really need the dialog anyways. Now suddenly partical dubbing by the original actors with director supervision is is a crime? If you weigh the loss I don't think the dubbed parts really suffered and all the tense moments were subtitled. So all the fluff got dubbed, big deal.

Bad dubbing isn't a good arguement against dubbing either, because there's bad everything. That's like saying bad female actresses are reason enough to go back to only having males play all the parts. That Spider-Man 3 should drop all CGI because The Hulk sucked.

There's also bad subtitling as well, I know with much experience that anime is very poorly subtitled, often times using the dubbed script. You usually have to find fan subtitles to get the full benefit. I watched Slayers subtitled happily several times untill a friend brought me a fan sub that blew away everything the official subtitle had. It used the literal Japanse translation with note scripts to explain everything they reference. So whatever subtitling you watch is subject to very poor translations and rewrites just as much as dubbing.

I also think the reason why it took me a long while to warm up to Akira Kurosawa was because of subtitling, I had to ignore what was on screen to read the damn stuff and I'd have to rewind to finish reading it sometimes which ruins the pacings. Throne of Blood was my first breakthough because I was familiar with the story of Macbeth and didn't have to pay as close attention to the subtitles. And I can watch Zatoicihi with ease because all the stories are the same, you just need a glimpse at the subtitles to learn context.

There has been more then one time that I have watched a film dubbed, didnít like it, and then watched it subbed and enjoyed it so much more because the mood of the film was totally different the second time around.

That's also kinda of my point in having to see a movie several times, you already know and understand some of the performances, story and visuals. Since "there's no more darn dubbing" you also allow yourself to enjoy it more.

I prefer subtitling for sure, but I'd rather watched a film print of Haute Tension on a theater screen with theater sound dubbed and slightly cut to not subtitled at all with slightly more gore compressed on DVD displayed at 15" with tiny speakers. I think the theatical experience alone gave the movie a better edge then subtitling could, even if it were uncut and entirely subtitled that pales in comparison to film stock, big ass screen and big ass speakers.

KR~!
07-11-2005, 03:32 AM
displayed at 15" with tiny speakers.

Someone needs a new TV and speakers ;)

Myron Breck
07-11-2005, 04:50 AM
The only time I ever resorted to dubbing was with CITY OF LOST CHILDREN. I kept finding myself getting swept into the visuals and not reading what was going on. So after 20 minutes of having to stop, rewind, and rewatch the same scenes several times I just gave up and switched it to English dialogue. Yeah, it was annoying and I felt even a little guilty for being so "American" but that movie is too visually engaging for me to stay focused on the bottom third of the screen for long.

Normally, however, I prefer hearing the original language and performances.

Agent Z
07-11-2005, 05:18 AM
Normally, however, I prefer hearing the original language and performances.

As do I. You make a great point by pairing "original language" and "performances" together, since hearing the original actor's voice (regardless of whether you understand the language) is just as important in the fleshing out of the performance as is seeing the facial expressions and body movements of the actor.

For me, seeing an actor dubbed is like taking away a piece of the actor's original performance. It feels like the experience is there, but muted.

In addition, I never understood the argument that subtitles are so distracting that they cause the viewer to miss out on the entire picture. I imagine that if one is new to subtitles, then they may take some adjusting to see text at the bottom of the screen, while also taking in the entire picture, but overall I never feel myself missing out. If anything, dubbing is more distracting to me (as in High Tension ) than reading subtitles, since it is reminding me that the performance I'm watching on the screen is being done by two people for every one person.

Having said all that, there are times when I listen to dubs. Watching old kung-fu flicks with bad dubbing is actually a bit of nostalgia for me that I can't let go. Even then though, I try to watch them in their original language every once in a while, just to hear the original performers.

And there are rare cases in anime where, after hearing both dubs, I actually enjoy the English voice cast as much as the Japanese crew. Cowboy Bebop is a prime example of that. :)

Agent Z
07-11-2005, 05:31 AM
......but I'd rather watched a film print of Haute Tension on a theater screen with theater sound dubbed and slightly cut to not subtitled at all with slightly more gore compressed on DVD displayed at 15" with tiny speakers. I think the theatical experience alone gave the movie a better edge then subtitling could, even if it were uncut and entirely subtitled that pales in comparison to film stock, big ass screen and big ass speakers.

Well, after seeing High Tension dubbed and "slightly"-cut in a theater, I would have to disagree there. In fact, I actually loved watching High Tension on a big screen (because it is a very beautiful film), but was taken out of the experience when the dubbing would come back into play.

I think the theatical experience alone gave the movie a better edge then subtitling could,

I'm not sure what you mean by this, since subtitles are just as common to the theatrical experience as dubbing is, American super multiplexes, notwithstanding.

..to not subtitled at all with slightly more gore compressed on DVD displayed at 15" with tiny speakers.

I am assuming, in regards to the 15" display, that you are joking in an extreme to make a point. If not, then my condolences.

Myron Breck
07-11-2005, 04:34 PM
...I never understood the argument that subtitles are so distracting that they cause the viewer to miss out on the entire picture.

Actually, in the case of CITY, it is the opposite effect that makes it hard for me to watch it subtitled: The Visuals are so distracting that I can't take my eyes down, even just below the picture to the black "letterbox" area, to read what is being said. It's like I'm in some sort of trance. No other film does this to me and I own a lot of foreign releases (see below).

Chad
07-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Damn, I was going to go check out the "bastardized" version today but my local movie theater isn't playing it anymore. BTW, they're still playing the fucking Pacifier. :mad:

fceurich39
07-17-2005, 04:41 AM
Hits Dvd On Oct 11th

Mattster
07-17-2005, 05:03 AM
Hits Dvd On Oct 11th

Where'd you hear that?

fceurich39
07-17-2005, 05:16 AM
WWW.DAVISDVD.COM

betterdan
10-16-2005, 04:52 AM
Well I finally got to see this thanks to the unrated dvd and I loved the hell out of it as did my wife.
This is one of the best movies to come out in years (next to Devil's Rejects that is).
The atmosphere was great, the gore even better, what is not to love? I also don't know why some people had a problem with the ending I thought it was pretty damn good myself. I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5

RyanPC
10-16-2005, 04:57 AM
Well I finally got to see this thanks to the unrated dvd and I loved the hell out of it as did my wife.
This is one of the best movies to come out in years (next to Devil's Rejects that is).
The atmosphere was great, the gore even better, what is not to love? I also don't know why some people had a problem with the ending I thought it was pretty damn good myself. I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5

I agree with you, actually. When I saw it, I liked it, but thought the implausible ending definitely brought it down a couple of notches. However, upon thinking about it, the ending really isn't all that strange especially when you consider

this is her version of the story, told basically from her perspective, and she was obviously lying.

That is certainly something I hadn't thought of after I viewed High Tension and it enhanced my appreciation of the film.

betterdan
10-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Yea I know what you mean Ryan. It had been out for so long though and I saw so many spoilers that I already kinda knew going in what the ending was probably going to be so I guess I had time to think about it more than when you first saw it.
Well either that or I'm just a hell of a lot better than you. ;)

RyanPC
10-16-2005, 05:02 AM
Yea I know what you mean Ryan. It had been out for so long though and I saw so many spoilers that I already kinda knew going in what the ending was probably going to be so I guess I had time to think about it more than when you first saw it.
Well either that or I'm just a hell of a lot better than you. ;)

I knew the ending ahead of time as well, but it still infuriated me when I watched the movie. :lol:

betterdan
10-16-2005, 05:03 AM
Ok then I guess it's settled...I am a hell of a lot better. :D

Nemesis
10-16-2005, 12:19 PM
damn, if i'd known the ending before watching this film it would have 100% ruined the movie for me and i'd have hated it.. it would have removed all of the "high tension"

Luna
10-16-2005, 05:20 PM
All I can say about it is that I am SO glad I steered clear of all these threads before seeing the movie. I would have been so screwed, even with spoiler tags.

betterdan
10-16-2005, 06:25 PM
I guess I should have clarified that I didn't read marked spoilers but instead people were dropping clues and unmarked spoilers that I tried not to read but it was kind of hard when they went unmarked. I probably should have steered clear of these threads but ah well. I didn't positively know the ending but from the clues hinted at it was pretty easy to guess. It didn't ruin it for me at all though and I enjoyed it greatly.

Cujo108
10-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Glad to see you loved this film so much, Dan. I've been curious about what you'd think ever since you posted about your bad theater experience. I'm especially glad that you saw the beauty in the twist, while so many others are blind to it. ;)

betterdan
10-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Yea like I mentioned before it still sometimes astounds me how damn good I am. :)

KR~!
10-16-2005, 10:19 PM
The title of this thread makes no sense now, but who the hell would want to post in that High Tension DVD thread, that thread is for losers, while this thread is for cool people who live in third world countries who can finally vote in this poll.

betterdan
10-16-2005, 10:21 PM
It can't be only for cool people KR~, you posted in it didn't you? ;)

KR~!
10-17-2005, 01:25 AM
You may have won this time.. but blah blah blah...

betterdan
10-17-2005, 01:26 AM