PDA

View Full Version : Universal to Hammer out classics

rhett
06-09-2005, 06:34 PM
In what looks to be the bang-for-your-buck DVD release of the year, Universal will be releasing no less than eight classic Hammer films for a meager $29.98. Spread over two discs, the set will come out September 6th, with each film in anamorphic widescreen and mono. Hopefully Universal continues to do what they did with their Legacy sets by spreading the films out over dual-sided and dual-layer DVDs. Regardless of how it is being packaged, here is a list of the films that will be included in the set:

Brides of Dracula
The Curse of the Werewolf
The Phantom of the Opera (1962)
Paranoiac
Kiss of the Vampire
Nightmare
Night Creatures
The Evil of Frankenstein

Universal has been great on their classic monster movies, and now it looks like they will be doing the same to Hammer. Looks good!

Damage
06-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Beautiful! Best DVD news of the year! If this gets half the treatment of the Dracula/Frankenstein/WolfMan sets, we're in for a real treat!

eric_angelus
06-09-2005, 06:44 PM
That is great news!!!! This is what I have been waiting for from Universal!

rhett
06-09-2005, 06:45 PM
It doesn't sound like there will be a lot of room for extras, so I suspect this will be more in line with Universal's other barebones releases, like last year's FUNHOUSE batch.

Damage
06-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Okay, looking at it closely: Two movies per side, double sided discs. Not my preferred method but at that price, and if the picture/sound quality matches the earlier Universal Monsters sets, it will still be great to finally have them.

Workshed
06-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Very cool, as I have yet to pick up any of these films--blasphemy, I know. Way to go, Universal. Love the Frankenstein set.

maybrick
06-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Gravy! Hope they're not just laser disc ports like the old Kiss of the Vampire was, though. Does Universal own the rights to The Gorgon?

Paff
06-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Damn....three more valuable lasers I have just went to hell.

Ah, who cares in the end? I was never gonna sell 'em anyway, and at least I've been able to watch Brides of Dracula and Evil of Frankenstein on disc format for the last several years while y'all were circulating those online petitions for DVD.

mcchrist
06-09-2005, 08:41 PM
OK, this is my most anticipated title of the year. Thanks for the tip.

mutleyhyde
06-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Great news rhett, thanks!

And on one set? Too fucking cool. Yes, hopefully they'll be OAR, anamorphic, uncut (yeah right) and all that, but being that they'll be available for so cheap in one lump sum is a GREAT starting point.

rhett
06-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Great news rhett, thanks!

And on one set? Too fucking cool. Yes, hopefully they'll be OAR, anamorphic, uncut (yeah right) and all that, but being that they'll be available for so cheap in one lump sum is a GREAT starting point.
Sorry, I forgot to specify that they will be OAR anamorphic and mono. Go Universal! :banana:

RyanPC
06-09-2005, 09:14 PM
This sounds utterly amazing; count me in!! :banana:

Luna
06-09-2005, 09:24 PM
Holy hell, this shall be mine! :banana:

Severn
06-09-2005, 09:34 PM
HELL YEAH HELL YEAH!!!

Brides of Dracula!!!! :banana: :banana:

Horrorfan
06-09-2005, 09:51 PM
This set will be just like there Bud and Lou Franchise collections 2 movies per side spread over 4 discs. Don't worry the set will look great. I am finally getting Evil of Frankenstein wahoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

MrKateB
06-09-2005, 09:55 PM
YAYYYYY!!!! Brides of Dracula is one of my favorite Hammer films!!! Totally cool.

dwatts
06-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Plus: Brilliant films..

Minus: Huge thumbs down for those double-sided discs. I'm pretty disgusted at universal to be honest.

Myron Breck
06-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Wow. I've been curious about the Hammer canon for quite some time. I don't think I've ever seen any of their films, unless on accident as a child watching late night TV. This looks to be a GREAT place for me to start really studying them. Hooray!!!

thrashard76
06-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Using double sided DVDs:

Disk 1 / Side 1:
Brides Of Dracula - Runtime: 85 min
Curse Of The Werewolf - Runtime: 91 min
Run time ~ 176 minutes

Disk 1 / Side 2:
Phantom Of The Opera - Runtime: 84 min
Paranoiac - Runtime: 80 min
Run time ~ 164 minutes

Disk 2 / Side 1:
Kiss Of The Vampire - Runtime: 88 min
Nightmare - Runtime: 83 min
Run time ~ 171 minutes

Disk 2 / Side 2:
Night Creatures - (N/A)
The Evil Of Frankenstein - Runtime: 84 min
Run time ~ (N/A)

*Run times found at IMDB.

JW77
06-10-2005, 07:47 AM
I hate to be contrarian, but...

Thirty bucks is a good price for the eight Hammer films, but I'm not a fan of these mash-up sets that split up series.

I would much rather be able to organize my Hammer films on my shelves by either release date or series -- ie, keep all of my "Dracula" Hammers together, the "Frankenstein" films together, etc. I was also pissed off at Anchor Bay for those Hammer double features, I decided to hold out for Blue Underground's releases (which apparently aren't going to happen now). At least with the AB double features I could print out my own covers.

I would so love to have my shelves look like:

Horror of Dracula
Brides of Dracula
Dracula Prince of Darkness
Dracula has Risen from the Grave
Taste the Blood of Dracula
Scars of Dracula
Curse of Frankenstein
Revenge of Frankenstein
Evil of Frankenstein
Frankenstein Created Woman
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell
The Mummy
Mummy's Shroud
Blood from the Mummy's Tomb
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Curse of the Werewolf
Plague of the Zombies
Rasputin the Mad Monk
Abominable Snowman
The Devil Rides Out
To the Devil a Daughter
Captain Kronos
Count Yorga/The Return of Count Yorga (I can live with this double feature)
Countess Dracula/The Vampire Lovers (ditto)
Quatermass 2
Quatermass and the Pit

Erick H.
06-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Gravy! Hope they're not just laser disc ports like the old Kiss of the Vampire was, though. Does Universal own the rights to The Gorgon?
I think that THE GORGON was once owned by Columbia,though I thought I once saw a cheapy vhs of it by some minor label too.

dwatts
06-10-2005, 10:21 AM
The old Kiss of the Vampire disc looks pretty good, I don't expect, for a budget set like this, that any of the films are going to get the special treatment.

eric_angelus
06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
I think that THE GORGON was once owned by Columbia,though I thought I once saw a cheapy vhs of it by some minor label too.
Yeah I used to have that...back in the late 80s columbia licensed out a bunch of their titles to Goodtimes for cheap VHS releases, with really bad cover art...it included The Gorgon, Curse of the Demon, 13 Ghosts, and several others.

maybrick
06-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Disk 2 / Side 2:
Night Creatures - (N/A)
The Evil Of Frankenstein - Runtime: 84 min
Run time ~ (N/A)

*Run times found at IMDB.

According to HOUSE OF HORROR by Jack Hunter, NIGHT CREATURES (aka. Captain Clegg) has a run time of 82 min.

onebyone
06-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Box art (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6809&n=1&burl=) was just posted at dvdanswers.

thrashard76
06-11-2005, 06:57 AM
According to HOUSE OF HORROR by Jack Hunter, NIGHT CREATURES (aka. Captain Clegg) has a run time of 82 min.
Thanks for finding that Maybrick. :cool:

maybrick
06-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Not a problem. I just happened to have that book right next to me when I read your post. ;)

Damage
06-11-2005, 04:27 PM
Box art (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6809&n=1&burl=) was just posted at dvdanswers.

That looks pretty cool. I wonder if they'll continue with the slipcover/book design of the Universal Monsters series as well.

dwatts
06-12-2005, 03:48 AM
Not bad, could have been worse. We're still jipped on decent theatrical art for each film though. :(

tobaccoman
06-12-2005, 04:07 AM
Wah, wah, wah. :cry: Oh sorry dwatts! I know how much you hate babies.

dwatts
06-12-2005, 05:03 AM
What a lovely intelligent remark :rolleyes:. I have an opinion, and I'm giving it. Feel free to ignore it. Or act like a child, whatever floats your boat ;)

I wanted these films to be shown some respect is all, I don't know why that's too much to ask. Eight films thrown onto two double-sided discs with montage artwork isn't what I had in mind.

Luna
06-12-2005, 05:23 AM
Wah, wah, wah. :cry: Oh sorry dwatts! I know how much you hate babies.Hey now! I'm the resident babyhater here! :mad:

By the way, I tend to agree with the previous idea of having them all on separate discs so I can arrange them by series, in order. :D

MrKateB
06-13-2005, 06:04 PM
In my ultimate anality, I absolutely hate it when I can't organize my collection in order, movie by movie. I do love the bargain of box sets, but I always cringe just a little whenever I look at them, knowing that, as an example, John Waters' Polyester either has to be filed under "F" for Female Trouble, or vice versa, Female Trouble goes under P...(I solved that by filing it under "J" for "John Waters Collection"..) but beyond that, I had always looked forward to the day when several of these Hammer films would be released, anticipating full color, lush covers, etc....But, whatever...At least they're coming out....I guess....sigh.

Oh, and I too hate babies. :)

tobaccoman
06-13-2005, 06:30 PM
I think Universal is doing the right thing here due to monetary reasons, It would cost both them and us more money to do what you guys would all like them to do and I have the feeling that having multiple seperate releases would only cause people to skim over most of these titles not realizing exactly what they are. I suppose they could release them all in their own cases within the box set, but that would still cost everybody more money. Sometimes you just gotta drink from the river if it's the only water source, you can't take your dirty urine sample and make spring water!

dwatts
06-13-2005, 06:59 PM
-- you can't take your dirty urine sample and make spring water--

Actually, you can :)

However, I'd have gladly played three times the asking price here for decent versions of these films. Nice packaging, nice extras. I am a fan of Hammer. This set will allow me to own and watch them, but it doesn't pay the film the respect they're due.

AB put out all their Hammers on single releases and did quite nicely apparently. Universal can't?