PDA

View Full Version : La Vita Bela

rhett
06-09-2005, 06:42 PM
If eight films over two discs sounded odd for Universal's upcoming Hammer set, then five films on one disc for their upcoming Bela Lugosi set will sound even more troublesome. Although all the films are full screen and mono, that is still a lot of data to be fitting on a single disc, DVD-18 or not. Here is a list of the five films that will make their way onto this September 6th release:

Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Black Cat (1934)
The Raven
The Invisible Ray
Black Friday

Thanks to DVD Answers for the scoop.

Franco
06-09-2005, 07:26 PM
A/V quality could be compromised ? :confused:

Horrorfan
06-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Well these films are so short it shouldn't be a problem at all. Just be happy we are finally getting them!!!!!

Horrorfan
06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Ok guys this should help calm you down worrying about compression. Here are the running times for each film and the reason this will work safely:

Murders in the Rue Morgue 61 minutes
The Black Cat (1934) 65 minutes
The Raven 61 minutes
The Invisible Ray 80 minutes
Black Friday 70 minutes

Ok Titanic was 194 minutes long and fit on one side. If you add up the first three films it comes to 187 minutes. Then count in the fact that there black and white and in mono. This can work. So the first three will be put on the front and the other 2 on the back. There you go problem soolved!!!

Horrorfan
06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Ok guys this should help calm you down worrying about compression. Here are the running times for each film and the reason this will work safely:

Murders in the Rue Morgue 61 minutes
The Black Cat (1934) 65 minutes
The Raven 61 minutes
The Invisible Ray 80 minutes
Black Friday 70 minutes

Ok Titanic was 194 minutes long and fit on one side and the transfer was fine. If you add up the first three films it comes to 187 minutes. Then count in the fact that there black and white and in mono. This can work. So the first three will be put on the front and the other 2 on the back. There you go problem soolved!!!

Myron Breck
06-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Sounds great to me! "Count" me in. (groooooan)

thrashard76
06-10-2005, 06:02 AM
Using a two sided DVD:

Side 1:
Murders in the Rue Morgue - Runtime: 61 min
The Black Cat - Runtime: 65 min
The Raven - Runtime: 61 min
Run time ~ 187 minutes

Side 2:
The Invisible Ray - Runtime: 80 min
Black Friday - Runtime: 70 min
Run time ~ 150 minutes

Plus any extras could be added to side 2. *Run times were found on IMDB.

dwatts
06-10-2005, 06:14 AM
There'll be no extras, and double-sided discs suck. Yeah, I'm happy we're getting them, but Universal are heading into the "bad" column for me. I don't know if I've forgiven them yet - because obviously, we're not going to get theatrical art covers that are worth a damn.

Myron Breck
06-10-2005, 06:15 AM
I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth on this one. Sure, it could be better but...You can't expect every company to respect the art they profit from...or can you?

Horrorfan
06-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Actually there will be a few trailers just be happy these classics are finally available.

eric_angelus
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
I have never seen most of these movies...but the set is worth the price for The Black Cat alone!

onebyone
06-11-2005, 12:22 AM
The box art and some menu shots (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=6812&n=1&burl=) were just posted at dvdanswers. I kind of wish this was a better release, but I am so happy to finally have some of these I can't really complain about it. Seeing what the actual set is going to look like made me even more excited about it.

Damage
09-04-2005, 04:00 AM
I just read a review on this set over at DVD Drive-In (http://www.dvddrive-in.com/reviews/a-d/belalugosi3234353640.htm) and it seems there might be problems with one of the discs... The worst part here -- and hopefully we got a bum copy and this is an isolated case -- is that after about 35 minutes into the film, the disc freezes, pixilates and sometimes jumps to the next chapter, making THE RAVEN barely watchable. We tried this on four different players of four different brands (Panasonic, Toshiba, Sony, Siempo), and still the same defect. Hopefully if there is a widespread problem with this release, Universal will correct it and replace it (this was the only movie on the set that had playback issues). Bummer!

old-boo-radley
09-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Has anyone else been able to confirm the glitch as not being an isolated problem? I could only find 2 reviews for the set, one at DVDDrive-in and the other one could barely be called a review, but didn't mention the glitch. I'll pick the Hammer one up for sure if Wal-Mart gets it, but will wait until further reviews surface on this one unless I can find out in the next 12 hours.

Damage
09-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Anyone pick this up today and can confirm/shoot down this reputed glitch?

onebyone
09-06-2005, 07:45 PM
I haven't watched the whole movie yet, but I tried it in both my players and ran it from the 31 to the 40 minute mark and it played fine.