PDA

View Full Version : Jack The Ripper Pulled From Elite's Schedule

gunner
01-25-2001, 03:46 PM
According to dvdmaniacs.net the dvd release of Jack the Ripper has been "scrapped".What the hell is going on with this company.It's almost unbelievable how shitty Elite has become.I hold my cav box set of Dawn of the Dead in one hand and the recent release of House on Sorority Row in the other,it boggles the mind to think that the same company released both.Tears come to see such a down-fall of what once was the greatest genre disc production company.

SantaSangre
01-25-2001, 04:03 PM
Well, I think they did this because the company that is still going to be releasing the DVD (VIP, i think they're called) was basically calling Elite's "pirated" because they don't own the rights. The other company is putting out a supposedly more complete version with the cooperation of Franco's cinematographer and running commentary by Franco himself. So tell me, whose version would you rather have?

Jeremy
01-25-2001, 05:33 PM
My guess is that Elite will go under sometime this year. Poor business decisions, poor title selection, brutal competition from other companies and just plain bad luck have all reduced their market share severely. If it wasn't for the Evil Dead and NOTLD SEs, they probably wouldn't even have that.

gunner
01-25-2001, 05:50 PM
Well,I heard that elite's version was a "pirate" awhile ago.That is ludicrous since it was told to be a public domain title in the U.S.,Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?I am fully aware of the vip version coming soon but I don't know how many distributors will actually carry the vip label.I could count on the elite version getting to my collection without a fuss,My guess is that the vip version will be pretty hard to find and will end up being a $60.00+ ebay only purchase.Jack the Ripper isn't that great of a movie (have you seen it) and I would be more than happy with a movie/trailer only edition.Also I live about 2 hours from Elite Entertainment and have always purchased thier stuff to kind of show my support (the only video production company in Maine)thats why it hurts so bad to see them crumble.

Dave
01-25-2001, 07:16 PM
I stand corrected...Elite has informed me that Jack the Ripper is no longer public domain in the US.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

gunner
01-25-2001, 08:12 PM
That is cool.Not only did I think I was the only mainer on this board but I also thought that I was the only mainer into horror films period.And to think we live in the same area.How does it feel living in the same town as Gunnar Hansen? I went to his house in Northeast Harbor two years ago.I got alot of stuff autographed and had a good chat.One of the highlights of my life for sure.Hey,Need help previewing discs?

[This message has been edited by gunner (edited 01-25-2001).]

AceRimRat
01-25-2001, 09:07 PM
Last I talked to Elite about this one (hey, I like the movie, OK?) they said they were having legal problems with it. That's too bad if it is canceled - I was really looking forward to it. I guess I'll have to get that British(?) version from VIP or whatever they're called. If I can ever get back into Sazuma's Web site...

Jeremy
01-26-2001, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by gunner:
Also I live about 2 hours from Elite Entertainment and have always purchased thier stuff to kind of show my support (the only video production company in Maine)

Ack! Gunner, I just looked at your profile...you live on Mt. Desert! Guess where I live? That is...weird...but cool.

And I foolishly thought I was the only Mainer on the board.

Dave
01-26-2001, 06:35 AM
That's right - it's public domain in the US. VIP (or whomever it was) claims that Elite was pirated, but that's not true. Elite actually told me they were trying to work with them to release an "authorized" version here in the US. Obviously that didn't happen. If Elite is canceling the title because of that then I can respect them for doing such.

I'm not sure if Elite will go under or not, but I certainly hope not. You have to keep in mind that they must be getting some nice royalties from all the extras they've licensed out.

------------------
David W. Anderson - dave@horrordvds.com
Webmaster - www.horrordvds.com (http://www.horrordvds.com)

chrishicks
01-26-2001, 06:41 AM
It seems to me that alot of companies are going under lately. I hope this will not be the new trend as we will stop seeing more of the better movies on DVD.