PDA

View Full Version : Is Wax Mask considered an Argento film?

Doombear
09-19-2001, 11:10 AM
Are you placing "Wax Mask" among the other Dario Argento films? Is it alright to do so? I admit it's the only snapper case among the other Argento DVDs, so it doesn't fit anyways.

K'
09-19-2001, 05:29 PM
I think he only produced this movie and not directed it. So i donīt consider it a real Dario Argento Movie.

Eibonium
09-19-2001, 09:17 PM
I don't consider Wax Mask to be an Argento-flick..nor a Fulci flick, for that matter. None of them had any real influence on the final result - Fulci died, and Argento just helped finance the thing.

Jason25
09-19-2001, 11:18 PM
Demons and Demons 2, which were directed by Lamberto Bava, bear the "Dario Argento Collection" from Anchor Bay, so if you go by that logic, then I think you have to include it as an Argento title.

skinnypuppy6
09-20-2001, 12:49 AM
jason25 has a point, but i still store mine with the rest of my euro shock snappers if it said "Dario Argento Collection" I would be tempted to move it up to the "Argento Shelf"

Andrew
09-20-2001, 03:54 AM
Dammit Jason! That's what I was gonna say!

Jason25
09-20-2001, 04:13 AM
Haha, sorry Andy !

crank
09-22-2001, 02:48 AM
I keep my copy with my Fulci collection. As far as Demons and Demons 2 go, I think Fulci had a lot more to do with the final output of those films than he did with Wax Mask, or The Church for that matter.

crank

skinnypuppy6
09-23-2001, 12:36 AM
I keep my copy with my Fulci collection. As far as Demons and Demons 2 go, I think Fulci had a lot more to do with the final output of those films than he did with Wax Mask, or The Church for that matter. ...you mean Argento?

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 12:17 PM
I'm amazed you put so much time, effort & consideration as to where you put a DVD. Stick it with the others in the pile & don't worry about it so much.

Wax Mask is a Sergio Stivaletti movie which was altered drastically from Fulci's original script, because Stivaletti 'didn't want to make Fulci' - he 'wanted to make Stivaletti'

Along with La Chiesa & La Setta, Wax mask obviously has touches of Argento because most post-Dario directors - especially in the horror/giallo genre have been influenced by him or his movies somewhere along the line. Also, as Eibonium stated, Dario financed the movie & so it's not an 'Argento' movie.

A bit like 'Killing Zoe' wasn't a Tarrantino movie, or the 1990 re-make of NOTLD wasn't a George A. Romero movie.

mazzariniuk
10-18-2001, 01:10 AM
how these films were touted as produced by instead of directed by, another example is JEEPERS CREEPERS - the TV spot screams produced by Francis Ford Coppola no mention of Victor Salva. Can anyone think of other films that do this, of course there was that batch of Lucio Fulci Presents. I am also pretty sure that any film produced by Oliver Stone is touted with his name and not the director.

BlazingMagnum
10-18-2001, 01:50 AM
Words of wisdom - Mazzariniuk . . . words of wisdom.
John Carpenter's name is on each & every Halloween sequel so-far. Wes Craven's name is all over everything he even looks at. There's so much of this false publicity rife in the movie industry. It just goes to show that popular movies these days have taken a departure from art, and become the industry.