PDA

View Full Version : Favorite DEAD film?

rhett
06-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Well, now that LAND OF THE DEAD is out, it is time to re-evaluate our rankings of Romero's DEAD films. So what will it be, the subtle, old fashioned NIGHT, the epic, comic book DAWN, the cynical, dread-filled gore classic DAY, or the fast-paced zombie uprising LAND. You be the judge!

Mok
06-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Still has to be Night for me. It's just such a fucking kick ass movie. No I will not say "for it's time" because it's a kick ass movie next to films of today as well. It birthed the Zombie phenom and can still out-zombie so called zombie films with bigger budgets and "better" SE. The more I watch it, the more I like it.

SaviniFan
06-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Even though I enjoyed Land quite a bit, I gotta give props to Dawn for the best of the series.

maybrick
06-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I really can't decide. Which one's my favorite depends entirely upon what mood I'm in at that moment.

RickB
06-28-2005, 05:16 PM
I liked Dawn of the dead best but Night of the living dead is a VERY close second to me. I HATE Day of the dead so much. I just can't sit through it. I'd rather watch Demons or the remakes of Night and Dawn.

baggio
06-28-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm probably in the minority. I think Day of the Day is the best. My reason: its moves at a good clip, fun characters, great gore. I don't have a problem watching it over and over. Dawn for me I can not sit thru the entire movie multiple times. If its on tv I just tune into the certain parts. (which is most of the film) but there are chucks of the movie I tune out.

allmessedup
06-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Nothing approaches NIGHT for me.

Workshed
06-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Day. Great zombie flick. So much dread and these stretches of pure paranoia. Awesome opening, and the female lead's stage acting really shines. The mad scientist--ha! Good stuff. And the ending--yikes. I cringe and cringe and cringe. This, for me, is the best Romero Dead film.

Dawn is superb as well, but the ending...I'm not a fan of how it ends. "Do-dah-dooo! To the rescue!" The rest of the film is unbelievable and still holds up when I watch it or introduce others to it (out of the trilogy, I always play Dawn first to people), but the ending really makes me laugh. The Ultimate DVD is a true gift--I dig the Argento cut.

Night is very cool and claustrophobic. A classic.

Land was way too short and I have only seen it once.

eric_angelus
06-28-2005, 06:24 PM
It is tough for me to give anything credit over Dawn...but I went with Night mainly for the fact that it came first. I will never forget the effect it had on me the first time I saw it at about age 10...and it proves a zombie movie can be just over 90 minutes long and still be damned satisfying!

betterdan
06-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Day

onebyone
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
Dawn is my favorite by a mile. Still, I really love them all.

Grim
06-28-2005, 06:56 PM
I love them all, but I'll have to go with Dawn.

fceurich39
06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
dawn of the dead is and will always be the ultimate zombie masterpiece

Severn
06-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I had to go with Day of the Dead. It's just my favorite one. I know there are better zombie movies out there but Day had me at hello.

MansonRPG
06-28-2005, 09:37 PM
I like Dawn the best, because I think that it has the clearest social commentary for its time frame. Romero had the 80s pegged dead on, no pun intended.

And, of course, Dawn has the guy in the blood pressure cuff.

adric
06-28-2005, 09:41 PM
it was hard to pick because they are all up there for my favorites for various reasons, but i picked dawn.

Damage
06-28-2005, 09:51 PM
For me, it's Night. The horror evoked in that movie, right until the final quiet frame, transcends shock. The first modern horror movie in my opinion that truly disturbed audiences in it's day and continues to do so. Love it.

dwatts
06-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Social commentary? Night did it best. Innovation. Night did it best. Great ending. Night did it best... erm, Night it is.

Silent Noize
06-28-2005, 10:21 PM
day.

Cujo108
06-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Day all the way. It is definitely the most interesting, and it has the best characters too. The music is great, the gore is better than ever, and the underground bunker is both claustrophobic and pretty neat. The conflcit between the characters is always tense, and when the zombies get in, its makes for a very effective scene. Great film!

soxfan666
06-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I like them all, one of the true series where i wont complain about any of the films. I went with dawn though.

evildeadfan123
06-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I love them all, but I chose Dawn

tobaccoman
06-28-2005, 11:54 PM
I still like the first three! Give this new one some time for multiple chewings (although I've already had seconds). For me, it's anything, but Land. I went to it again yesterday and it seemed really bland. Definitely not enough time spent on building up the story and to much action along with a short run-time. Night was about the same length, but just feels sooo much different than this that it's hard to compare the two. I agree with somebody who had previously posted (in a different thread) that you just don't feel the impending doom and clausterphobic atmosphere that the others presented. Maybe (and hopefully) if a sequel (specifically tailored to Land) is made and I could view the two as one, it might make a difference.

As for the first three, it's a tie. I'll just vote for Day since I like the story's direction more than Dawn and still manages to increase the gore factor (which was pretty remarkable, still after 20 years, it's hard to think of better gore effects).

Tad Ghostal
06-29-2005, 12:06 AM
I like Dawn the best. I think that Night is great, I liked Day, and really liked Land, but Dawn is tops for me.

krugerkid13
06-29-2005, 03:32 AM
all of em are excellent but nothing beats the f/x in day

Damed
06-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Night for me. It;s the one I revisit most often

Evil Dead Guy
06-29-2005, 03:40 AM
Dawn of the Dead all the way

CABAL2004
06-29-2005, 01:22 PM
baggio, what movie is your avatar from??

Thanks,

Nicholas

tobaccoman
06-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I think it's Chopping Mall. Don't know for sure though since I haven't seen it. I've heard quite a bit about it though. I plan on picking it up some time. I wish I could find movies in rental stores around here, but for the most part their selection is shit.

baggio
06-29-2005, 03:40 PM
baggio, what movie is your avatar from??

Thanks,

Nicholas
its Chopping Mall

baggio
06-29-2005, 03:45 PM
I think it's Chopping Mall. Don't know for sure though since I haven't seen it. I've heard quite a bit about it though. I plan on picking it up some time. I wish I could find movies in rental stores around here, but for the most part their selection is shit.
not a bad movie, the directory commentary is fun to listen to. these 2 guys really sounded like they had fun making the movie. They don't act like they were inventing the world. They just made a decent movie, and are glad people enjoyed it for what it is.

geekcccp
06-29-2005, 04:11 PM
I love all 4, but Night was the first I saw and the one that still works as a true horror film. The others seem to get more action oriented as the series goes on, which isnt a bad thing. I just like the b&w creepiness of it.

dario_andolini
06-29-2005, 04:37 PM
well, i'm in the minority here with "land" currently holding the tops. i've seen it 3 times now, so perhaps its freshness is why its at the top for me...though i'm sure it will revolve just as it always has in hindsight.
seeing a lot of "land was good, but i've only seen it once" comments here...i think over time people will find land and dawn fighting for their top spot (though all of us hardcore fans never really will decide). i think land is just too new right now, and hasn't been afforded the opprotunity to really mature into its brilliance. give it a couple years of repeated viewings, and i'm sure that my prophecy, like george's prophecies in all the dead films, will come true...

allmessedup
06-29-2005, 06:16 PM
It was inevitable that DAWN would do well in this poll, but I'm glad to see so many votes for NIGHT.

Dilmo
06-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Dawn is a masterpiece.

Bobbywoodhogan
06-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Dawn of the Dead is easily the vest its the greatest Zombie film ever made.

Mortis
06-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Like always, Dawn of the Dead. But I do like them all a lot, including Land.

KillerCannabis
06-30-2005, 08:14 PM
I had to go with the entry that I can sit through countless times without even a hint of boredom and that for me is Day of the Dead. I fucking love Dawn, dont get me wrong, but as far as pacing and gore are concerned, Day gets my vote. I'm a total gorehound and Savini's FX work was top notch for this entry. And it also features the best movie line ever.... "You've given us a mouth full of greek salad...."

sacateca
06-30-2005, 09:29 PM
Land of the Dead for me...for once it wasn't even ruined at all by being a big studio picture. Benefits? Much better looking and more carefully done than the others, no comparison technically. The story was also the best, but then perhaps i am a bit tired of the old ones already.

Once more, Hails to Romero!

Coverdale
07-02-2005, 04:40 AM
I voted for Day. I like the first three equally but at the moment I like Day the best. Not a lot of love for Land, eh?

Actually Dawn would be my favorite by far, but once the bikers show up, it gets kind of lame. Living in a mall was such a great fantasy for two hours, and then THEY had to show up.

zombi3
07-02-2005, 04:52 AM
I think Dawn and Day are equally great. My vote went to Day because I think the FX are better. Plus it needed a little push. :) I thought Land was great too.

beelzabubba
07-06-2005, 07:25 AM
The first 3 were all great in their own way, but the edge has to go to Dawn of the Dead for Best all round. Gross, Great, Goofy and Gory Gotta love it. Land just doesn't do it though.

Erick H.
07-06-2005, 10:19 AM
I have to stick with NIGHT,your perfect,low budget,creepy,nihilistic horror movie.DAWN comes in a close second,love it's satire and seting.Lots of people knock DAY,but it was a great audience film with super gore.LAND is good,it's the slickest one,though it feels like more of an action film than a horror picture at times.I like them in the order that they were released.

VenicuS
07-06-2005, 11:54 AM
If I have to pick, I gotta go with "Dawn". It just has that nasty, grindhouse feel to it, plus the underlying commentary on consumerism (no more on that, it's been said a thousand times). but then again, Dawn's awesomeness can also be summed up in two words: helicopter zombie. Shazam!

4Gotten1
07-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Well it's still Dawn for me; but I'm a huge fan of Day too. I'd like to see Romero do a two-plus hour cut of Land and see how that would fair in comparison to the current version. And if I could have that on my desk by next Monday, that would be great.

maskull
07-10-2005, 06:54 AM
Night is the only one that I actually love from the list. The others had moments that I enjoyed, but as a whole they just don't blow me away. So Night gets my vote.