PDA

View Full Version : Your LD storage: bookshelves/crates/floor scattering/other?

Sam
06-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Storage threads have probably been done to death in the past, but I'm curious how you folks are storing LD's now that they've been out of production for 5 years and taking a back seat to your DVD collection.

I've had mine stored on the floor with the covers facing me for easy flipping but this ai'nt the best idea for room/space-conservation :( I'm considering building shelves or finding some milk crates to stack.

For those of you who store in tightly bound shelves, have you had any warp issues?

Oh yeah, and pics are always appreciated! :cool:

Here's what my current mess looks like - you can't really see it in the pic but there's quite a few behind the couch as well (a good 3-4 feet).

http://img10.echo.cx/img10/5207/0000011b6fx.jpg

My fiancee's not too pleased with the way they look now so I'm opting for a new plan of course to dodge the FAF. :-D

Paff
06-28-2005, 07:52 PM
This is a problem for me now too.

I filled up the shelves of my entertainment center, now they're on the floor in front of it, along with my hall closet (for seldom-watched discs), and a few have somehow migrated into my bedroom as well.

Deus Ex Machina
06-28-2005, 11:26 PM
milk crates are a toug one...they're smaller now than they used to be (I have this problem with my albums)

tobaccoman
06-29-2005, 12:32 AM
Fuck, I don't even have enough shelf space for my DVDs! Do you oftenly watch them?
If not I'd just throw 'em in a box in the closet and keep it reachable for when the occasion arises... I don't know. I'm not that old that I had money when LD's wre the big thing so I don't have any. From what I've seen they always looked like quite a hassel.

Paff
06-29-2005, 03:45 AM
Fuck, I don't even have enough shelf space for my DVDs! Do you oftenly watch them?
If not I'd just throw 'em in a box in the closet and keep it reachable for when the occasion arises....

I sure do watch them often!

All of my Kurosawa films, many of my martial arts films, many of my Argento and Fulci films, Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies, Phantasm, Evil Dead, Living Dead, Carpenter films, etc and so on are on LD. So yes, I do watch Laserdiscs often, and need them handy.

Dave
06-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Here's a pic of my LD storage racks. I can actually fill about 2.5 of those cubes - I just haven't unpacked the rest of my lasers, which is why things are kind of messy in the rest of the cubes. Someone on the forum recommended a store selling these cubes. They discontinued them but I found one a few hours away that had several left, so I made the trip and bought the rest of them!

I have another DVD rack to the left that isn't in the pic. And I need to add a third one for DVDs I still have in storage. Problem is I'm running out of space. Also, I'm going to be adding two framed movie posters in the background there (Ginger Snaps), so excuse the bare wall. :)

http://www.horrordvds.com/ldsmall.jpg

Sam
06-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Wow those cubes look awesome, Dave! I just tried sorting them in crates and it looks like ass so I think I'll put them back in the closet. Time to test my carpentry skills I guess. ;)

laserdogg
07-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Here's a pic of my LD storage racks. I can actually fill about 2.5 of those cubes - I just haven't unpacked the rest of my lasers, which is why things are kind of messy in the rest of the cubes. Someone on the forum recommended a store selling these cubes. They discontinued them but I found one a few hours away that had several left, so I made the trip and bought the rest of them!

I have another DVD rack to the left that isn't in the pic. And I need to add a third one for DVDs I still have in storage. Problem is I'm running out of space. Also, I'm going to be adding two framed movie posters in the background there (Ginger Snaps), so excuse the bare wall. :)

http://www.horrordvds.com/ldsmall.jpg

That someone was me!
Looks good....glad you were able to get enough to last for awhile. I ended up with 25 after scouring the stores around me. Sure wish they still made them!

horrorlover
07-02-2005, 10:04 PM
cool skull Dave, I recognize a lot of your dvd's as ones I have, Sledge Hammer! Yeah Baby!

elahrairrah
02-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Since I took pictures for another forum, I figure I should post this here as well. Found this BIG bookcase on clearance at OfficeMax couple years back for dirt cheap, and figured it would make a good storage for Laserdiscs . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/yuushi/random/mediacase1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/yuushi/random/mediacase2.jpg

Kind of sometimes wish that sliding glass door wasn't there. Gets in the way more than helps out!

f.ramses
02-13-2009, 12:09 AM
I don't have many so I just keep most of mine on a shelf with a library style bookend at one end. The bookend has given a little and they lean slightly to the right (the picture exaggerates this as it is not straight and the camera isn't the greatest...). I worry that someday this might cause damage to them or something but at this time I really have no other options. When I look at them a lot of the sleeves don't look straight but when I check the discs (place them flat on the inner sleeves and press down lightly on opposite sides of the disc at the same time to see if it moves at all. ) from time to time they seem alright. Unfortunately I also have about 12 other discs that are just stored flat one on top of the other. I know you're not supposed to do this but I have, literally, no other way to store them for now. :/ They're not rare or anything, I paid $2 each for them and bought most of them just because they were cheap. I plan to store them properly when I can, hopefully by then they won't be damaged... I only have one disc that I noticed was warped but that was how I received it, currently this one sits with the ones I have stacked, at the bottom of the pile in hopes that the weight of the other discs will flatten it out.
Also, semi-related, I store my one CED on my wall, I used 2 thumbtacks pushed into the wall at a downward angle to make a shelf for the bottom and then another one pushed into the wall at an upward angle at the top to keep it from falling forward. The one VHD I own just sits across the top of the LD's on the shelf. I figure it should be alright since it's in a shell but then again it's not like I ever see myself getting a player for the CED or the VHD...

Dave
02-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Here is mine again. The picture I posted before seems to have disappeared. This is my "media storage closet". There is another DVD rack on the right that cannot be seen in the picture, plus I have tons stacked on top of the racks, too, along with that stack on the floor.

I described how I came about with these cubes earlier in the thread, but they are prefect for lasers. And I have four more of the cubes in my bedroom that I use for basically bookshelves. I didn't have enough lasers to use them all nor am I likely to ever have enough.

That Jap. Halloween laser just arrived today. Only took about two weeks using SAL.

elahrairrah
02-18-2009, 05:04 PM
I described how I came about with these cubes earlier in the thread, but they are prefect for lasers. And I have four more of the cubes in my bedroom that I use for basically bookshelves. I didn't have enough lasers to use them all nor am I likely to ever have enough.

I sincerely hope that once I move those video game discs out of that top right shelf in that bookcase, I won't need anymore LD storage! Thankfully, I don't see myself buying any huge box sets in the near future (other than Zombie: DotD Perfect Collection, Capcom's Vampire Hunter and The Compleat Tex Avery . . . if I find a good price on them.)

SickNick89
02-19-2009, 01:55 AM
I used to have them in a crate but when that filled up i migrated to a boookshelf.

ekent
02-19-2009, 03:30 AM
This just a little three shelf unit that I also store my LPs on.

Cantona07
02-19-2009, 04:44 PM
I have most of mine in a crate and the rest stacked vertically on a shelf

X-human
02-28-2009, 08:37 PM
I found a store selling some modestly priced LP storage boxes and bags: http://www.sleevetown.com/

elahrairrah
03-03-2009, 06:20 PM
I found a store selling some modestly priced LP storage boxes and bags: http://www.sleevetown.com/

Hmmmm . . . they have more LP sleeve options than where I normally buy my sleeves from, http://www.bagsunlimited.com/. Plus, they're slightly cheaper. Might have to give them a try!

Sam
03-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Damn, I totally forgot about this thread. At the moment it's just milk crates with Ikea Expedit shelves on the horizon when I can pick them up in-store.

Paff
04-21-2011, 06:49 AM
I just ordered one of these: http://www.lpbin.com/ I'll let you know how it works out

bigdaddyhorse
04-21-2011, 06:34 PM
I just ordered one of these: http://www.lpbin.com/ I'll let you know how it works out

Those look just like the racks a local rental place that carried lasers used to have. You should love em, as all the discs up top are easy to get to and you can keep rotating the front one so the rack seems to change all the time.:)
It looks like a great storage investment. As my player died and my collection dwindles, I won't be needing one anytime soon, but if I had a substantial collection, I'd want one too!

SaxCatz
04-22-2011, 02:41 AM
I have rubbermaid style bins that are the perfect size for LDs/LPs.

Sam
04-22-2011, 03:27 PM
I've trimmed the collection down to about 500 discs (from like 1200+ at peak) and haven't purchased any additional LDs in about five years, so storage has pretty much been the same as it's been for a few years now.. milk crates in an unused room. Not in any real rush to buy a fancy dedicated storage unit, although it'd be more aesthetically pleasing and tidier. The next order of business (if I ever get around to it) is to replace all those 'elephant condom' inner-liners with better quality poly ones. I was also considering some resealable outer sleeves since they're transparent and just frankly look cool - though they're more trouble than they're worth and I end up ripping them half the time.