PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Bay Suspiria...new audio

Black_Mandarin
09-19-2001, 09:59 PM
I was wondering if anyone else was miffed at the new audio on Suspiria? Yeah, its clearer and tons sharper, but I watched it and it felt strange so I popped in my old uncut vhs and compared the two. It seems that the sound fx (door slamming, footsteps) have been redone/retouched in some spots, at least, a little more subtle than the vhs. But what really suprised me was the music. On the vhs it is full tilt, pumping at full volume most of the time, but on the DVD it rises and falls, slipping into the background and then jumping out at you during the more shocking scenes. I love the DVD, but I do really prefer the music the old way, in your face, wrapped around your ears most of the time, making it more edge of your seat, like youre being bombarded.

Anyone else notice these changes right away and, if so, what did you think?

Paff
09-19-2001, 10:30 PM
I did an A/B comparison (heheh, get it? A/B comparison? Anchor Bay?) with the Laserdisc and the DVD

There is DEFINITELY a huge difference in sound. I still haven't decided which one is "better", and I probably never will. For an old laserdisc of an old movie, the surrounds are very active, possibly more than the DVD. And I have all my sounds calibrated equally, so the only difference is on the discs, not my setup.

I've heard that the 2.0 mix is simply a mix-down of the 5.1, so the original soundtrack is NOT on the DVD.

But the picture on the DVD, especially the very red scene where the girls sleep in the rehearsal hall, is miles above the LD.

keith70
09-20-2001, 12:22 AM
There's no way in hell the original soundtrack is on there. I noticed right away. I don't have the video but I rented it right before my dvd came in. The music on the video is alot louder. I don't know about the sndfx and dialog, but I know the music on the disc was remixed. I don't mind, but when I first got the disc I kept changing the audio selection because it didn't feel right.

I can't comment on Opera since I can't even get the damn disc to play. My Panasonic didn't even recognize it as a disc. My Sampo played the FBI warning and AB logo and then stopped. I hope AB sends the replacement soon, but it's going to take a while for the 30,000 LE and additional regular editions to be replaced.:(

skinnypuppy6
09-20-2001, 12:44 AM
but it's going to take a while for the 30,000 LE and additional regular editions to be replaced. .....29,999...mine still plays fine hehe:) the new audio rocks!!!

napalm68
09-24-2001, 11:29 AM
No offence, but the sound in the new AB version annoyed me. The over-exaggerated channel separation, like a sound was either hard left, hard right, or flat in the middle. I found it very annoying. Something offscreen to the left was full left, something close to the left edge of the picture was full left, etc.

suspiria
09-24-2001, 02:38 PM
well according to a few sources, this new remastered version of Suspiria was "apparently" supervised by Argento himself so maybe this is the way he wanted it??

just food for thought...

Peter Vincent
09-24-2001, 03:20 PM
I found the 5.1 Dolby Digital separation quite flawless! Then again, I don't have anything to base it on since I had never seen 'Suspiria' B4 in my life! The end sequence with the laughter really sounded awesome in 5.1! I can't wait to listen to the DTS track when I get my new JVC-XV-SA70BK player!

skinnypuppy6
09-24-2001, 10:52 PM
DTS rocks!!!!!!!