PDA

View Full Version : The "Citizen Kane" of horror movies

mgfred
09-20-2001, 12:29 AM
I was almost brought to a tear last night when at the HTF chat with AB that Mr. Ben Motley used my catch phrase "The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies" when refering to Maniac.

I hearby degree that whenever mentioning the movie Maniac that it always be prefaced by "The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies" out of respect for my third cousin Mr. Joe Spinell.

mutleyhyde
09-20-2001, 12:36 AM
Fred, wish I were so lucky as to have Joe as a third cousin. You are blessed! :D

mgfred
09-20-2001, 12:45 AM
I did forget to mention he is related by marriage.

PELOQUIN
09-25-2001, 02:50 AM
citizen kane of horror = wicker man:p

The Chaostar
09-28-2001, 06:27 PM
for me the citizen kane of horror is Kubrick's The Shining if anyone cares...:rolleyes:

Peter Vincent
09-28-2001, 07:37 PM
Citizen Kane of TRUE terror - The Exorcist

Hellbilly
09-28-2001, 07:45 PM
ERASERHEAD

Peter Vincent
09-28-2001, 09:17 PM
The Citizen kane of Horror.....

ShowGirls

LMAO!

Hellbilly
09-28-2001, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Peter Vincent
The Citizen kane of Horror.....

ShowGirls

LMAO!

LMAOROTF!

good one, Mr. Vincent. now THAT was one hell of a scary movie!

AceRimRat
09-28-2001, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by HellbillyDeluxe

LMAOROTF!

good one, Mr. Vincent. now THAT was one hell of a scary movie!

Ah, the legacy of Scream 2.

Forgive me, Fred, for mentioning Scream 2 in a thread about the Citizen Kane of Horror Movies (tm), Maniac.

rhett
09-29-2001, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by The Chaostar
for me the citizen kane of horror is Kubrick's The Shining if anyone cares...:rolleyes:

I second that, a masterpiece if horror ever had one!

Maniac is a genre breaker though, and the idea of focusing on the life of a slasher, while so simple, works so well!

That is so awesome that you are related to Spinell Fred, or were related I guess :confused:

jeffschmidt
10-03-2001, 01:24 AM
I've said this before, and I'm getting off-topic, but I just feel compelled whenever anyone is praising The Shining. It's such a HUGE letdown compared to the novel, I don't understand why it invokes such reverence...

Oh, & the Citizen Kane of Horror Movies is The Exorcist - nah, it's probably Showgirls :D

The Chaostar
10-03-2001, 01:31 AM
I don't care about the book.
I saw Garris version also and it was a pile of crap when compared to the GENIOUS of Kubrick's VISION of The Shining.

That book, that great book could not have produced a good horror movie. When the bushes came to life it was just ridiculous in Garris version - a cartoon.
While in the book it was really scary.
Kubrick knew what he was doing when he opted for the labyrinth anyway.

Kubrick was more sick than King in my opinion. I believe King is a kind of merchant, you know? A great one for sure but still. Kubrick was an artist. Just that. He took other peoples work and made his version of it.

The writter of 2001 felt flattered.
The writer of the Shining felt like an idiot.

What does that tells you?

RAYMOND BUSH
10-04-2001, 02:38 AM
EXORCIST!!!! Still creepy!

satan x
10-11-2001, 10:39 PM
Halloween gets my vote.

DVD Connoisseur
10-12-2001, 07:08 PM
It's The Exorcist for me....maybe not the Citizen Kane of Horror Movies....more The Godfather of them!:D

Erg0n
10-13-2001, 12:02 AM
Some people say it's Rosemary's Baby as the The "Citizen Kane" of horror movies, But i don't know about that one.

Mat
10-17-2001, 01:59 AM
No you didn't. It is actually on John Waters' Serial Mom (which is a kick ass movie!). You know, the scene where Chip and his girlfriend are watching 'Blood Feast' and he refers to it as The "Citizen Kane" of gore movies. So you just replaced gore with horror. Shame on you my friend......... and Ben Motley!:o

ctyankee
10-22-2001, 08:42 PM
To me, saying something is the "Citizen Kane" of a film genre requires three things.

1. It must be considered an important film, one that is a natural for study in high school/college.

2. It must arguably be one of the finest films made (regardless of genre).

3. It must stand the test of time. For example, Citizen Kane ranks 4th on IMDB user polls top movies. This accomplished with a strong user age skewed to the internet savvy (younger than the mean average) for the general population. In other words, users who get to vote who may not have seen many of the great movies - particularly the older classics just because they have had fewer viewing days than older folks.

For example, based on that criteria, Maniac doesn't even make IMDB users top 50 horror films and would fail both viewers ratings as well as general awareness of its existence. Therefore, it would fail the first two points and not even be eligible for the third.

Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho would seem to be the most eligible. IMDB users rank the movie number 23 all time, all categories (highest of all horror movies) - (with over 23,000 people rating it). Could it arguably be studied in school, I think so and I'm sure it has. Has it stood the test of time, no doubt.

I'm sure that many of us would select another horror film as our favorite - just like many of us would not select Citizen Kane as our favorite (non-horror) or even the film we would watch if it were the last one we would ever see.

Cheers

Rich

The Chaostar
10-24-2001, 12:57 AM
Cool post with some nice remarks.
With these thoughts I voted for the Shining...:D
F**k the IMDB though - even the greates movie of all genre and time will take the shit there from someone and I can't stand it!

calpurnia
10-27-2001, 05:37 AM
OH me Droogies, how I love to love Nadine, and proclaim
THE WICKER MAN Citizen Kane of all horror.
Cut-up, unfairly distributed, and maligned by audiences, the Grandaddy of all Cult Horror is the Rosebud of the Bush.

Bumty, bumty, Ci-bola.

Dark Lord
10-30-2001, 07:57 PM
For me, The greatest horror movie ever made is none other than Bride Of Frankenstein. I love and worship hundreds of horror movies but this one will always remain my favorite.

Dark Lord
10-30-2001, 07:59 PM
For me, The greatest horror movie ever made is none other than Bride Of Frankenstein. I love and worship hundreds of horror movies but this one will always remain my favorite.:) :) :)

Dark Lord
10-30-2001, 08:00 PM
Oops, sorry the "duo post"...lol