PDA

View Full Version : Some good slasher films?

jas1081
09-20-2001, 07:12 PM
I just wanted to find out what everybody thought were some good slasher films to pick up on DVD? Besides the Nightmare, Halloween, and Friday series.

Trout
09-21-2001, 02:39 AM
Very cool Slasher site (http://www.south-over.demon.co.uk/Hysteria/home.html). Tons of reviews and such.

EVIL-SINNER
09-24-2001, 04:54 AM
Lucio Fulci's The New York Ripper is one of the best.

mcchrist
09-25-2001, 06:17 PM
Once again, NY Ripper is one of my least favorite Fulci films, I cannot like it for some reason. The nastiness is there, but I just wasn't impressed.

As far as slashers go, I saw Madman last night and I must say it is one of the best efforts of the genre. Its pretty standard fare, but it also has a good bit of atmosphere, gore, and the acting is some of the better in films like this. Impressive indeed!

jas1081
09-25-2001, 06:30 PM
I know to some out there this will sound bad, but I wanted to know if Sleepaway Camp is worth picking up? I have read mixed reviews of it and was really not to sure. Just want to know what everyone thinks. :)

EVIL-SINNER
09-25-2001, 08:19 PM
i almost bought Sleepaway Camp at best buy's for $15 bucks, but it is was rated R, so i decided to wait and get the uncut version for the 'collection'. it's not a 'masterpeice' but i say buy it.

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 04:49 PM
House On Sorority Row is quite cool - Some effective scenes etc.
Slumber Party Massacre is only good for the tits and ass bits - aside from that - garbage.
Pieces is cool in it's stupidity & fun to watch. (Notice the touch-tone phone during the beginning axing scene - did they have touch tone phones in the 40s? Ha!)
The Mutilator is a laugh too.
The Prowler and The Burning are by far the best of the bunch. Savini at his bloody best.

rhett
09-27-2001, 04:21 AM
My Bloody Valentine is a classic, a very underrated slasher film!

Terror Train, Prom Night, Maniac, and Happy Birthday to Me are all excellent films too.

Give Graduation Day a chance too, it is pretty derivative of Friday the 13th, but there are some good elements in it.

Hellbilly
09-27-2001, 08:40 PM
...it's cult all the way. in my opinion, one of the better slasher pics from the 80s...and the ending is always a shocker (even after watching it like, 30 times...:) ).

rhett
09-28-2001, 03:00 AM
When I was watching Sleepaway Camp for the first time I thought it was an okay slasher film, but the ending really made it for me, definitely the best "shock" ending ever featured in a movie. The plot makes more sense when you watch it a second time though, its a very good film!

The Chaostar
09-28-2001, 06:30 PM
The Ugly
is without a doubt the best slasher I've seen in years (even if it is a bit too "arty" to be considered a slasher movie)

BlazingMagnum
10-01-2001, 03:01 AM
Because of this thread, I dug through some of my old slasher tapes & found graduation Day - quite positively the worst piece of shit in the slasher world. It actually made me feel annoyed watching it because it wanted to be just like a real horror movie - but fucked every single thing up. - and just check out the killer's death scene at the end. If that bloke ever comes around my way - I'll have to bash him purely for being such a terrible actor. The one saving grace was an early strip from Linnea Q. - Aside from that - utter utter filthy dirty bollocks.
- and I'll tell you something else, that band in the movie, 'Felony' should be ashamed of themselves. I don't care if it was 1981, nobody has the right to look so stupid, or sound so bad. - Except for maybe Oasis and all their fans, and they just can't help it.

Give Graduation Day a chance too, it is pretty derivative of Friday the 13th, but there are some good elements in it.

rhett
10-02-2001, 06:48 AM
I liked the premise for Graduation Day. Sure, you could pretty much tell who the killer was and what his motive was the entire time, it was still a decent reworking of Friday the 13th.

As far as acting goes, you aren't really going to find any Oscar worthy performances in slasher films, and in many cases, the more wooden the acting appears, the funner it can be to watch (Tommy Jarvis in Jason Lives is a perfect example).

Graduation Day was typical big studio slasher fare of the early 80's, and for that reason that is why I enjoy it. If you want nostalgia, this film reeks of 80's styles and culture, so there is another reason to recommend it.

Another slasher worth mentioning is April Fools Day. Probably one of the first films to start toying around with the slasher formula, and as a result it comes off as a fresh and entertaining hybrid of Happy Birthday To Me and 10 Little Indians.

BlazingMagnum
10-02-2001, 10:31 AM
I've tried & tried & I just can't like it. - The most shocking thing about the movie is the pair of socks which the guy who plays the principal must've shoved down his pants before filming - unreal.

I didn't really like April Fools Day too much either - it was a bit of a cheap cheater - but I'm not gonna spoil anyone else's entertainment by giving it a hard time.
The other April Fools Day (Slaughter High) was cool though - the beercan scene & the girl in the bath stand out as being a couple of real unexpected shocks. - Also cool, is Caroline Munro - as always. One of the UK's better exports.

y2doublet
10-02-2001, 03:33 PM
I thought Slumber Party Massacre was hilarious! It definitely gets the job well done. And that beatiful soundtrack to boot: some quirky videogame-like music just pops up when the killer is sensed. Classic. You get your blood, breasts, one-liners, all-round jeans draped psycho-killer with a big driller and not to forget the two dudes running around the house trying to scare up the all-girl pyjama party. And of course the hip neighbour, the caring gym teacher, the unfortunate pizza delievery-guy and the naughty girl getting offed while expecting some sex. To top this off you have famed feminist Rita Mae Brown helming the film and she also wrote the script. Given that fact it really puts some of the scenes in perspective. I won't give too much away, but there is some really over-fallic symbolic scenes there. It's a hoot, give it a spin, you'll like it!

As for other suggestions. I can second My Bloody Valentine and The Burning. Sleepaway Camp has a more cheap feel to it but it's still good fun (get this I haven't seen the ending, I feel asleep and haven't come around to revisiting it yet). I saw Graduation Day a whole lot of years ago. But I remember thinking it was really dull for a campy 80's slasher. And I didn't look rather cheap for being a "big studio slasher fare"? The Ugly is great, but not really "slasher" in the word's traditional meaning. Terror Train is moody and good with the scream queen boasting her lungs.

Just remembered a movie I saw in my adolescene called The Lamp. I remember thinking it was jolly camp-good and some nice settings and scares to go with it. You know the old "teenagers trapped in a building with the killer on their heels"-routine. Anyone seen it?

On a related note has anyone seen Girls' Nite Out AKA The Scaremaker? I read about it somewhere and with me having an affection for bad 80's slashers it intrigued me.

BlazingMagnum
10-02-2001, 04:25 PM
Sure, My Bloody Valentine - I forgot about that one. I saw an uncut version at a festival screening in London 1995 - where the killer rips off his own arm at the end. Good to catch it on the big screen.

Slumber Party Massacre - yeh, that scene where the drill explodes through the guy's chest on the bed is a real good moment - nice shock moment. - Stay away from the second Slumber Party Massacre though - mostly cheapo comedy, interlaced with dumb dream sequences which mean absolutely nothing at all. Obvious Elm-Street bandwagon stuff.

Another forgotten slasher is Eyes Of A Stranger, with FX from the master Savini. Some really good chills in that one - especially spooky moments at the beginning with the corpse in the river, & also the first murder scene with John DiSanti looming in the hallway.

It's a pity Ken Wiederhorn managed to blow it later on with the terrible Return Of The Living Dead 2

y2doublet
10-02-2001, 09:39 PM
Yeah, would be intense seeing on the big screen, I envy you.

Can't seem to remember that particular scene in SPM, how long into the movie is it?

I've actually never heard about Eyes of a Stranger? It sounds good what with Savini taking care of FX. Who owns it? Any chance of a DVD-release?

And to add further to the suggestions. How about He Knows That You're Alone featuring an all-star cast with Tom Hanks in his finest moment? ;) Well, actually I can't remember that much about it. Is it any good?

And then there is When a Stranger Calls, due out on DVD soon. Pity it's Columbia who's releasing it 'cause I can't play their recent DVD's on my player (I live in Sweden, though I have region modified player I can't seem to get around the RCE). I hope they release here in Europe too at the same time. I think they're releasing The Blob here simultanousely.

BlazingMagnum
10-03-2001, 01:47 AM
I love to catch any of the old horror stuff on the big screen. We used to have Eurofests here & guests like Lucio Fulci & Dave Warbeck, Joe D'Amato, Dario Argento, Deodato, Jorge Grau, Jean Rollin, Jess Franco, Brigitte Lahaie, Caroline Munro, Michelle Bauer, William Lustig & lots of others; - Anyway they would show a bunch of classic Euro movies depending on which guest was present. At Fulci they screened The Beyond, Door To Silence, Zombie Flesh Eaters etc - at D'Amato they screened Emanuelle & The Last Cannibals, Frankenstein 2000, Dellamorte Dellamore, Stagefright etc - also Maniac, Faceless, loads of Franco & Rollin movies, 4 Flies On Grey Velvet, Les Yeux Sans Visage, Cannibal Holocaust, Cut & Run, Aftermath, Living Dead/Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, What Have They Done To Your Daughters - and stacks of others.

Re Slumber Party Massacre - silly me, I was talking about the second movie - aside from that part, you're not missing too much.

Eyes Of A Stranger was on the Warner label when it was distributed - I don't know if it'll be out on DVD just yet - but maybe someone will think to put out some more Savini movies soon - preferably The Prowler, The Burning & hopefully a restored version of Killing Zoe with the removed scenes sewn back in there. John Russo's underrated, Midnight would be nice too - I love the opening credits with the clocks - great stuff.

He Knows You're Alone was a dodgy one - Armand Mastroianni does Halloween really - even down to the title, which was culled directly from Halloween's tagline.

When A Stranger Calls is a great movie though - especially the first 15 minutes, but it quite similar to Black Christmas. Scary as hell though.

rhett
10-03-2001, 01:54 AM
The opening for When A Stranger Calls is genious. I would have loved to see how the film would have been had they just made it a short. 20 minutes or so, and then black out to credits, that would have been intense!

BlazingMagnum
10-03-2001, 02:05 AM
I know what you mean - that particular scene where Carol Kane is trying to get out of the door & runs into Charles Durning as you can see the shadow advancing across the stairs - seriously intense! - Did you know that Tony Beckley - the guy who played the killer, died very shortly after completing the movie. Bad news - he was a seriously good actor.

y2doublet
10-07-2001, 12:03 PM
BlazingMagnum, wow, seems like you've seen of whole of great horror and exploitation on the big screen. As I said, I envy you.

I didn't know that Savini did the effects for Killing Zoe. That makes the movie even better!

BlazingMagnum
10-07-2001, 06:17 PM
Yup - but unfortunately, most of his effects were removed by the MPAA. Tom talks about it in Grande Illusions 2. Most of the violent scenes were trimmed, such as the part where the clerk & bank manager are executed - you hear the gun go off, a rough edit & then blood on wall - body on floor.
Hopefully, some nice people out there might put together a restored version. I don't know why they had to actually edit the scenes for the final version - they should have put out an uncut version in other territories & just released a cut version where neccessary.

It was one of Tom's 'right out of the bag' movies, like Alone In The dark - where he'd been called in last-minute to provide some quick make-up effects - with whatever was to hand. The amazing burn make-up on the guard was done with soap, fabric, tape, amazing paint job etc.

You probably already know it - but Tom also did the effects for Missing In Action, an amazing torture scene in Red Scorpion, Mr Stitch (which I've never seen) Maria's Lovers - among others.

y2doublet
10-07-2001, 06:57 PM
No sir, I didn't. It's always fun to hear some trivia. Missing In Action, you got to be kidding me! ;)

Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but what is Grande Illusions 2? A documentary? A book? Where can you get it?

BlazingMagnum
10-07-2001, 08:28 PM
Yup, it's a book & it was preceeded by Grande Illusions (naturally).
The books are textbooks - written by Tom himself, and detail all of the work he's created. The first book details just about everything you could want to know about the make-up effects from Deathdream, Deranged, Dawn Of The Dead, Martin, Dawn Of The Dead, The Burning, Maniac, Rosemary's Killer, Friday 13th, Creepshow etc.
Illusions 2 details Friday 13th 4, Day Of The Dead, Monkey Shines, Red Scorpion, Bloodsucking Pharaohs In Pittsburgh, Heartstopper, Tales From The Darkside, Two Evil Eyes, Night Of The Living Dead 90, Trauma, Killing Zoe & Mr Stitch.
There's also another complete-works-of type thing from Midnight Media over here in the UK - which features everything Savini's ever touched & some excellent info on stuff like Alone In The dark, Nightmare etc.

The books are essential for any Savini fans & have some incredible behind-the-scenes stills from Tom's movies.

I don't actually know if they're available right now & I checked Amazon & there's no sign of any of the above. I'll check a few places out over here & let you know what I find out.