PDA

View Full Version : Worst Stephen King Adaptation?

Mark Relford
09-20-2001, 10:59 PM
Hack's back with another putrid poll dedicated to the worst in horror. Grab those barf bags and vote!

Erg0n
09-21-2001, 01:08 AM
i hated max overdrive

but many people liked that film.

Cujo108
09-21-2001, 04:15 AM
Good god man, you put a lot of films that I love on there!! I love The Night Flier, Maximum Overdrive, Graveyard Shift, and The Mangler. Yeah, you heard me right, I liked The Mangler. It was very entertaining to me. Those films definitely don't suck in my book. The Night Flier is the best of the bunch. Anyways, I voted other. The worst is definitely The Dark Half. :p

Erg0n
09-21-2001, 04:31 AM
yeah the dark half sucked hard

i liked the mangler, though

Mark Relford
09-21-2001, 06:37 AM
I forget about The Dark Half! (Romero's only misfire, IMO.) My vote went to Graveyard Shift, an awful film that features a silly looking rat/bat creature. (It makes The Boogens look frightening in comparison!):)
Maximum Overdrive and Children of the Corn are guilty pleasures.

Jason25
09-21-2001, 06:49 AM
Thinner all the way, what a pile of shit. The only reason I'd even watch it again is to see Kari Wuhrer, damn she is fine.

cjg
09-23-2001, 04:38 AM
Lets not forget Firestarter that one realy sucks

keith70
09-23-2001, 05:07 AM
Where's Cat's Eye? Actually I like that film. But I don't see it as a choice. By the way, is Cat's Eye on dvd? I haven't seen it anywhere, but I want it. I love the bit with James Woods and Alan King. The troll creature that attacked Drue Barrymore was cool. You don't think they got that from Trilogy of Terror do you?

AceRimRat
09-24-2001, 09:18 PM
I voted for the Night Flier, because I loved the story, and I thought the movie just butchered it - it's one of those short stories that better remains a short story, the lengthening for a feature pads it with stupid stuff. IMO.

Graveyard Shift is pretty stinkin' awful, too.

Of course, so is Maximum Overdrive, and most everybody likes that.

PELOQUIN
09-25-2001, 03:02 AM
langoliers sucked big time waisted my time 3 weeks in a row.
find the story boring and thought the film was only a gamic to get good viewing for tv...

rhett
09-25-2001, 03:36 AM
I would have voted for Children of the Corn (sorry Mark! :D ) but I thought the book was equally as bad. I really enjoyed the Thinner book though, and the movie was such a steaming pile of shit, it gets my vote.

I really liked Needful Things, and Maximum Overdrive is a guilty pleasure. Good poll!

Hellbilly
09-25-2001, 04:31 AM
....just another cheap and cheesy adaption made for TV. Tracy Lords was the only reason i watched this lame-ass pile of crap...did anyone liked the tv-version of "the shining"?

Mark Relford
09-25-2001, 08:20 AM
There are a few exceptions. (Salem's Lot, It, and The Stand.) The same can't be said for the lousy Shining remake. (Sorry, Hellbilly.) Sure, it was more faithful to the novel, but the execution put me to sleep.

Hellbilly
09-25-2001, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Mark Relford
There are a few exceptions. (Salem's Lot, It, and The Stand.) The same can't be said for the lousy Shining remake. (Sorry, Hellbilly.) Sure, it was more faithful to the novel, but the execution put me to sleep.

oooops! did i forget to mention that i did not like the tv-version of The Shining ? ...silly me :D ...i was just wondering if anybody liked it at all...

rhett
09-26-2001, 01:20 AM
I didn't mind the TV version of The Shining, but it doesn't even compare with the Kubrick version. It is shaped much more closely to the novel, and maybe that is the downfall...the novel can be very slow at times, and the hedge animals bit just doesn't translate well to screen. Still though, I thought it was decent, but could have been much better. Tommyknockers sucked, and The Langoliers wasn't much better.

I hope The Dead Zone TV version will be good. It is my favorite King novel, but the Cronenberg version was so good, this one is pretty much doomed to failure too...

mcchrist
09-26-2001, 02:24 AM
I loved the TV version of The Shining. It did for the King book what the Dune miniseries did just recently. Between two adaptations you get a complete book. I suppose it was because I read The Shining years before I ever saw the Kubrick film. I recognised Kubrick's liberties, much like Mann's Manhunter, as postive attributes, but I also missed some of the important points that weren't discussed. the TV Shining finished it for me, there you go then. Thinner got my vote, what a pile of shit.

David666
10-01-2001, 06:14 PM
"Other" took my vote here.

Although Thinner is a pretty gawd-awful film (particularly offensive), the worst adaptation would have to be his own reworking of The Shining for network TV. I think this film was just ignorant. The fact King was so involved only makes it all the worse, a spit in the face so to speak to his fans, or even people like me who are ex-fans who only like his films because his books have gone steadily down hill over the last 15 years.

Cactus
10-02-2001, 05:59 PM
I voted for "other".

"The Shining" for TV was horrible.
"The Stand" was horrible.
"Golden Years" was horrible.
"Apt Pupil" was horrible.

thrillkillkub
10-06-2001, 08:15 PM
WHY is the 'new' made-for-tv "The Shining" with Rebecca Demornay on the list? That was THE worst piece of dodo .
:OP

The Chaostar
10-14-2001, 05:57 PM
Apt Pupil is a great film.

Cujo108
10-14-2001, 07:21 PM
The Stand a horrible film??? Hell no, not by a long shot in my opinion! The Stand is one of the best King films, and is a classic all the way.

Andrew
10-14-2001, 08:57 PM
Agreed, Apt Pupil was excellent.

maybrick
10-18-2001, 05:50 PM
I voted other because of "Sleepwalkers". It might have been a good adaptation from a shitty story, or did King write it specifically for the screen? Anyways that's my choice.

I think King should stick to writing books because he definitely does not know how a decent horror movie works. If he did, he would never in a million years allow his novels to be transformed into the TV movie of the week. True, most of his TV movies are worse than Sleepwalkers but that's kind of a given isn't it? In order to be suitable for broadcast, the makers need to water everything down. In a way I have to dismiss them almost entirely. Out of his films that I've actually paid to go see, Sleepwalkers is by far the worst!

RAYMOND BUSH
10-19-2001, 10:59 AM
Why is TRUCKS and MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE together? Sure, they're both adaptions from the same stroty, but they are both 2 different movies. TRUCKS sucked ass while MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE rocks! Come on! Bad acting, music by AC-DC, trucks blowing up, and cheesey lines. "We made you! We made you!"
BANG! BANG! BANG!:D So funny!

MovieFan
10-20-2001, 05:48 AM
Sometimes They Come Back ... what a horrible film.

onebyone
10-01-2004, 09:29 AM
I voted for The Mangler, because not voting for it in any "worst" poll just seemed all kinds of wrong.

Nemesis
10-01-2004, 12:19 PM
ok, who voted for the langoliers?! that movie was great fun!

RyanPC
10-01-2004, 12:21 PM
I voted Thinner but I haven't seen some of the movies on that list, so perhaps my opinion will change.

Oh and I thought that Carrie remake was a pile of shit, too.

Tawny
10-01-2004, 03:17 PM
The Tommyknockers was terrible.

bigdaddyhorse
10-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Haven't seen all of them so I'll hold my vote.
Thinner sucked for the most part, but did have it's moments where I was getting into it.
Apt Pupil would've sucked, but Ian McKellen saved it with an awesome performance.
Max Overdrive is way too fun. I've never bothered with Trucks cuz it just reeks of shit just by looking at the box.
Storm Of The Century. I did fall asleep watching, but woke up and rewound. Great series, but week predictable ending.
Rose Red, that might get my vote.

fceurich39
10-01-2004, 10:39 PM
i voted for other meaning the dead zone movie utter piece of garbage

night flier
maximum overdrive
graveyard shift
those 3 should not even be on this list

IGotsNewShoes
10-01-2004, 10:57 PM
I find it funny that Storm of the Century was voted for once and is even on the list, considering it's not an adaptation of King's work. It was written for TV.

I voted for Tommyknockers, the other stuff on that list (while still bad) is stuff I enjoy watching.

walkingdude
12-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Langolier's was kind of stupid and I voted for that but The Shining remake was a total piece of crap.

Dilmo
12-23-2004, 02:49 AM
I voted other because of "Sleepwalkers". It might have been a good adaptation from a shitty story, or did King write it specifically for the screen? Anyways that's my choice.

King wrote Sleepwalkers specifically for the screen. I love it. :)

Dilmo
12-23-2004, 02:51 AM
I find it funny that Storm of the Century was voted for once and is even on the list, considering it's not an adaptation of King's work. It was written for TV.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Rock
12-23-2004, 05:55 AM
I voted for CHILDREN OF THE CORN, with PET SEMATARY not far behind...horror movies about children are hard to make scary, but these two were just plain ridiculous...

walkingdude
12-23-2004, 06:30 AM
I voted for CHILDREN OF THE CORN, with PET SEMATARY not far behind...horror movies about children are hard to make scary, but these two were just plain ridiculous...There are parts of both those movies that could have ben better but come on?Shining?Remake?Crap?I like both of those mvies you mentioned very much(-Denise Crosby and that stupid Linda Hamilton dance).Think Langoliers way worse,especially the end where they all skip away laughing!:eek2:

Erick H.
12-23-2004, 06:44 AM
I had to go with GRAVEYARD SHIFT(or "GRAVEYAAAAD SHIFT",as one charecter kept saying in a lame accent).It narrowly beat out THE MANGLER for me.Of the tv King stuff,I thought GOLDEN YEARS was pretty weak,with sub Ed Wood sets.

Deaddevilman
12-23-2004, 06:50 AM
All of the above. Stephen King's The Stand and Salem's Lot are excellent books. The rest while good all seem to lose steam in the end. Most of these deserve a remake.

walkingdude
12-23-2004, 06:53 AM
All of the above. Stephen King's The Stand and Salem's Lot are excellent books. The rest while good all seem to lose steam in the end. Most of these deserve a remake.The Stand is easily my favorite Stephen King book,TV Movie and in the top 5 favorite movies.Very well done.

John Gargo
12-23-2004, 07:52 AM
Shining Television version for me... what a god AWFUL piece of crap that was!!! The book is probably the best thing Stephen King wrote (and the first one I read years ago), but it translates AWFULLY to the screen. Kubrick's version, on the other hand, is brilliantly realized and a textbook example of how to make a great horror flick.

Stige
12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
tommyknockers all the way, considering the first three hundred pages were condenced into ten minutes of screen time

allmessedup
12-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Tough pick...a lot of these are bad. There are a few I haven't seen. I had to vote for THE LANGOLIERS because the story was too cerebral to work in a visual medium.
Most of the story involves the characters talking, figuring things out, but not doing an awful lot. This works fine on the printed page, but made for dull viewing.

THE DARK HALF was probably the worst film adaptation. I didn't like the TV version of THE SHINING either. TOMMYKNOCKERS was bad, but it was also one of King's worst novels and I don't think there was much they could have done with it. Most of the others are probably not good films but I enjoy them to varying degrees. LANGOLIERS just wasn't well suited to film/television adaptation, so it gets my vote.

DVD-fanatic-9
06-17-2008, 04:32 PM
I haven't seen Graveyard Shift all the way through, though what I have seen looks pretty damn abysmal.

Out of that list, I went with Thinner. I don't know when I've been more outraged while watching a horror movie. That piece of crap has absolutely no morals at all.

WesReviews
06-17-2008, 04:37 PM
I would have voted for Children of the Corn (sorry Mark! :D ) but I thought the book was equally as bad.
Yeah. Many of these come from some of King's most paltry (and sometimes just downright bad) works.

I voted for The Mangler, but the short story was worse (if that's even possible).