PDA

View Full Version : Mario Bava Movies to check out?

Erg0n
09-21-2001, 04:50 AM
I'm not a Bava fanatic, and would like to know what are some of his greatest works on film. please be specific, and don't say "every one is great" or some thing of that manner.

thanks

skinnypuppy6
09-22-2001, 02:26 AM
black sabbath, black sunday, shock, and blood and black lace are a good start

crank
09-22-2001, 02:45 AM
Get Black Sabbath first, it's probably both his best film, and the best representation of his overall style. Black Sunday and Blood and Black Lace are also excellent films. I wouldn't recomend Shock to a Bava novice though. While Shock is a good movie, it lacks most of the style and atmosphere of Bava's greater works, and it drags pretty bad. Oh yea, and that fucking kid is the MOST annoying Eurohorrorbrat I've ever crossed.

crank

skinnypuppy6
09-23-2001, 12:33 AM
if you got a fat wallet check out rabid dogs

Erg0n
09-23-2001, 07:35 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys
unfortunatley, i heard black sabbath is OOP or something like that, I've seen it in theatres though, excellent film. the colors used are really nice.

suspiria
09-23-2001, 09:12 AM
I've got the Mario Bava Collection DVD pack and a few more of his films on DVD... I would have to say that I like "Kill Baby, Kill..." the most.. great atmosphere and style...

mazzariniuk
09-26-2001, 12:08 AM
is the big day, Mr Postman should be handing over BLACK SUNDAY and PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES. After watching LISA AND THE DEVIL over and over again, I am ready for new Bava!!!!!! Postie should also be delivering VON RYAN'S EXPRESS (I know it isn't horror but it was filmed partly in Italy, so what the hell).

skinnypuppy6
09-26-2001, 02:01 AM
black sabbath is still in print it just has a better case no more snap case

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 10:10 AM
Lisa & The Devil / House Of Exorcism double is a must-have.
Some of my favorite Bava is Black Sunday, Baron Blood is Bava having fun - & so quite cool. Blood & Black Lace, Planet Of The Vampires is good because you can see just how much influence it has over Alien, Bay Of Blood is awesome, The Whip & The Body is a beautiful movie & some of the choicest Bava around on DVD. I picked up a disc of Kill Baby Kill looks that like it's been transfered from VHS - but it's still a good 'un, Shock you'll know, Rabid Dogs is a cracker - especially for George Eastman/Montifore doing his bit for Italian cinema - but as SkinnyPuppy says - it'll cost you, Danger Diabolik & Dr Goldfoot - buy it all because it's all class.

Check out Macabre too - Lamberto's only really good movie.

mcchrist
09-26-2001, 06:01 PM
Twitch of the Death Nerve is a good flick, but I'm staying away from the DVD based on the problems that people are complaining about it. Shock is a very good film, with the exception of the annoying little brat it is very good (and I'm pissed seing this movie now going for $2.99 at Suncoast, I paid full price for the mofo last year) but my favorite has to be Hatchet for the Honeymoon.

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 10:20 PM
I forgot about that little gem.

mazzariniuk
09-27-2001, 11:05 PM
PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES today, what an impressive little flick. Granted it was very slow but I really enjoyed it, loved that ending. Still waiting for BLACK SUNDAY but I think it will be with me tomorrow, PLEASE!!!!! Just ordered BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, look forward to that arriving next week. Has anyone seen KNIVES OF THE AVENGER, any good? Even if it is not popular here I will still buy it, I want all the Bava movies and I want them now!

skinnypuppy6
09-28-2001, 03:57 AM
planet of the vampires rocks! knifes is good to but i havnt seen the image dvd im sure the image will be alot better than the old dup i saw

suspiria
09-28-2001, 04:02 AM
I dont understand why you guys dont rate "Kill Baby, Kill..." too highly... Sure, the VCI DVD is pretty crap in quality but I'm discussing the film here not the DVD's quality.

I felt that this film is Bava's best when it comes to atmosphere and general creepiness. I liked the story too (very Argento-like in areas) and the colours/lighting used in the last 30 or so minutes rival Suspiria.

Cujo108
09-28-2001, 04:41 AM
Lisa and the Devil is Bava's BEST film in my opinion, so definitely check it out. Whip and the Body is another great one.

skinnypuppy6
09-28-2001, 08:34 PM
Kill Baby Kill is a good film VCI's transfer is not all that but ok the BavaBox(VCI the whip and the body, blood and black lace and kill baby kill) should be something any one new to Bava should pick up

Erg0n
09-29-2001, 04:10 AM
I saw Kill Baby, Kill based on the recommendations of this thread and I must say that it's an awsome film

piggwinn
09-29-2001, 02:58 PM
I'm quite fond of the little mentioned "Baron Blood", which plays a little like Bava doing Hammer.

BlazingMagnum
10-01-2001, 02:40 AM
Kill Baby Kill is cool! - Maybe not his best, supercool in fact - but then again, - if you haven't seen all Bava's movies - you can't really say what's better than what.
I think Bava was a modern master, but unfortunately, like so many others - he'll never be recognized by very many people.
Probably more influential than any other Italian director over their prolific industry, - Bava's Mask Of Satan/Black Sunday was released 1 year before Bloodfeast - even though Herschell gets all the glory for making the first 'gory' movie, Mario did it with class and elegance. Oh, and by the way, the Mexicans & the Spanish were doing 'splatter' way before Lewis was even considering making nudist flicks.

mazzariniuk
10-02-2001, 08:02 PM
are here, Mr Postman delivered BLOOD AND BLACE LACE and BARON BLOOD this morning, so looking forward to sit down with these little babies. Still waiting for BLACK SUNDAY, supplier informs me they are waiting for new stock, should be with me on Friday, but I can wait now that I have these two.

Andrew
10-02-2001, 09:46 PM
Wait is Baron Blood part of Image's Bava Collection?

If it is, did it come in a keepcase?

mazzariniuk
10-03-2001, 01:30 AM
is part of the Mario Bava collection from Image. It is in the old style cardboard packaging (unlike many others on this forum, this does not bother me at all, I love opening these babies up to find liner notes - not big on booklets and inserts). The film itself was fanbloodytastic, being new to Bava and having only purchased LISA AND THE DEVIL / HOUSE OF EXORCISM SPECIAL EDITION and PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES. I couldn't believe how enjoyable this film was, I am so looking forward to watching this again. But first I have to watch BLOOD AND BLACK LACE, so I will let you know soon what I think of this aswell.

Erg0n
10-03-2001, 04:16 AM
do you think that there's going to be special edition treatments to some of Bava's Barebone DVDs?

mazzariniuk
10-04-2001, 10:16 PM
Watched this today for the first time. Excellent. This knocks anything Argento has done off the top slot. I couldn't find a single fault with the film. Still can't believe it was made way back in 1964, it feels so new so fresh. Great cast with Cameron Mitchell, Eva Bartok, Thomas Reiner and a very young looking Luciano Pigozzi (he looks so different from his later films like THE LAST HUNTER and CODENAME WILDGEESE). Hopefully at long last BLACK SUNDAY will come tomorrow. Have already decided that when I have some extra cash that BLACK SABBATH and WHIP AND THE BODY will be my next Bava purchases.

piggwinn
10-04-2001, 10:58 PM
Hunt down a copy of "Rabid Dogs". You won't regret it, It's seriously awesome.

mazzariniuk
10-05-2001, 05:40 PM
Mr Postman handed over BLACK SUNDAY this morning! For all you non-snapper lovers out there, it came in a keep case, liner notes in a booklet (I want my snapper, these so remind me of the gatefold sleeves of good old LaserDiscs, but alas Image has conformed to the masses). Have yet to watch the film. Managed to get that extra bit of cash, can only afford one film, so should I order BLACK SABBATH or WHIP AND THE BODY.

piggwinn
10-05-2001, 05:57 PM
I would certainly go for Black Sabbath, the "A Drop of Water" segment is classic. I must admit in being a little dissapointed with "Whip and the Body", I'm not a big fan of tragic love stories. I have only watched it the once, so I'll give it another watch soon I think. I know from the boards it is held in high regard by some, but with a choice between these two, as mr White says " It ain't no choice at all"

mazzariniuk
10-05-2001, 06:58 PM
Piggwinn,

On your advice I ordered BLACK SABBATH. But somehow I also ordered WHIP AND THE BODY ;) , my wife is going to go mad when she finds out. :mad: Now if I can sell a couple of my crap DVDs, I could come out with my marriage intact! :D

DeepDownTraumaHound
10-05-2001, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by suspiria
I dont understand why you guys dont rate "Kill Baby, Kill..." too highly...
I just ordered this DVD. I know it's one of the least discussed movies in a lot of places, but I have heard and read nothing but great things about it. Oh yea, it's my 1st Bava DVD!!!!!

skinnypuppy6
10-05-2001, 09:29 PM
the best deal on bava discs is the BAVABOX(vci) I would recomend buying it and not getting the individual versions of kill baby kill, the whip and the body and blood and black lace it sells for around 34.00 us and its a cool box set!(duh):)

DeepDownTraumaHound
10-06-2001, 05:55 AM
I got the Diamond version of Kill, baby. Kill. Is it terrible? I'm all about quality and a good presentaiton. Please tell me if I was wrong by doing this before it's too late!!! Thanks!

skinnypuppy6
10-06-2001, 06:10 AM
yeah the diamond version is shit the vci is ok(not perfect but ok)

BlazingMagnum
10-07-2001, 06:27 PM
Yeh, I've got the VCI version too - the trailers are cool Bird With Crystal Plumage, Blood & Black Lace & The Night Visitor - & the print is okay - like SkinnyPuppy says - not perfect, a few crackly moments but I think it adds something to the movie. There's a biography on there too.

mazzariniuk
10-07-2001, 09:55 PM
I want to buy this and I want to buy it now. I don't need convincing, I just want to know what you good people think of this film?

skinnypuppy6
10-07-2001, 11:18 PM
i like it alott :) :)

BlazingMagnum
10-08-2001, 12:25 AM
Need I say more?

mcchrist
10-08-2001, 05:49 PM
No, you did fine.

jae
10-11-2001, 04:44 PM
I'm a huge Bava fan and I thought it was an OK movie. Keep in mind that it wasn't solely Bava's movie. The scope widescreen picture is very nice with some amazing gothic touches to the crypts/castles, etc reminiscent of Black Sunday/Whip and the Body and Bava's special effects are just amazing: aging a woman on camera with no cuts! Other than that, its a pretty routine thriller, its generally regarded as the first Italian horror movie since the silent era so its extremely mild and the horror elements are underplayed. Its more of a detective story.

Other recommendations: Have you seen The Girl Who Knew too Much or Four Times that Night? Girl is a very nice Hitchcock'esque thriller with Bava's usual touches, Four Times isn't horror but I did rent it and really enjoyed it. Plan on buying the DVD one of these days.

BTW, Your comments on Blood and Black Lace topping anything Argento did really made my day :D Its nice to see Bava get some recognition around these parts.

Originally posted by mazzariniuk
I want to buy this and I want to buy it now. I don't need convincing, I just want to know what you good people think of this film?

BlazingMagnum
10-11-2001, 05:08 PM
Apparantly, Bava did the aging effect by lighting the whole scenes in green & painting the signs of aging onto Barbara Steele's face also in green stage makeup: dark eyes, sunken cheeks etc. To make the effect visible - he gradually brought down the green lighting, and at the same time introduced a red gel. As the colored light changed - the effect became visible to the cameras. Because it was black & white, it looked as if the aging appeared on her face in realtime. Genius. Actually, he was admittedly influenced by Mamoulian's Dr. Jeckyl & Mr Hyde - where Fredric March undergoes a similarly effective transformation.
Genius!

mazzariniuk
10-18-2001, 12:53 AM
arrived this morning. Great film Mr. Bava, great DVD, great work by Image - again. Am I ever going to see a film by Bava that I don't like? Mr. Argento has a few I don't care for - well one actually and Mr. Fulci has a few I just don't like. I wish FAB Press would hurry up and release their book on the great man - I want my hardback and I want it now!

skinnypuppy6
10-18-2001, 02:13 AM
yeah i want the hardback too! $$$$$$$$

RJMacReady
10-19-2001, 07:45 AM
Thanks guys.

I have been wanting to ask what Bava films to check out. I really want to see Shock (I Love Dario Nicolodi). That boxset does look good.

Whip and The Body & Blood and Black Lace sound awesome.

So many movies...so little money. :(

suspiria
10-19-2001, 07:51 AM
"Kill, Baby.. Kill" is my favourite film from the boxset by a longshot. Very underrated film!

I strongly urge you to start with the boxset and move on to more Bava from there.

mazzariniuk
10-22-2001, 11:22 AM
Arrived on Saturday. Good film, gotta love that 2.35:1 picture. Didn't really play like a horror film, more a thriller, but I am not complaining Bava is Bava. Managed to order THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH, look forward to that arriving soon. Still waiting for WHIP AND THE BODY and KNIVES OF THE AVENGER to arrive :( .

jae
10-22-2001, 04:51 PM
Whip is one of his best and one of my favorites.. Have you checked out Planet of the Vampires yet? Very good use of color, and the MGM DVD can be found for around 10$. Good movie, good DVD.

Let us know how you like Knives of the Avenger.. Even though I'm a huge Bava fan I've been reluctant to buy this without seeing it first. Same goes for Five Dolls for an August Moon.

ian
10-22-2001, 09:58 PM
i just watched kill, baby, kill like 10 minutes ago, it was my first exposure to bava. pretty whacked out little film, i loved the overabundance of color throughout and the strong gothic imagery. pretty wild stuff.

i managed to pick up shock at the suncoast 2.99 sale but haven't gotten around to watching it yet, probably later today (what's an unemployed guy to do on the west coast during rainy season except watch movies?)

ian

skinnypuppy6
10-23-2001, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by ian
i just watched kill, baby, kill like 10 minutes ago, it was my first exposure to bava. pretty whacked out little film, i loved the overabundance of color throughout and the strong gothic imagery. pretty wild stuff.

i managed to pick up shock at the suncoast 2.99 sale but haven't gotten around to watching it yet, probably later today (what's an unemployed guy to do on the west coast during rainy season except watch movies?)

ian ......If you like Bava's use of colors check out Planet Of The Vampires

mazzariniuk
10-23-2001, 11:52 AM
Jae in his own words...
Let us know how you like Knives of the Avenger.. Even though I'm a huge Bava fan I've been reluctant to buy this without seeing it first. Same goes for Five Dolls for an August Moon. :eek:

I will be sure to let you know what I think of KNIVES OF THE AVENGER and 5 DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON - when I get around to ordering that one that is.

I hadn't seen any Mario Bava and purchased all the titles unseen, and I haven't been let down yet.

IN MY COLLECTION
I VAMPIRI - BLACK SUNDAY - BLACK SABBATH - BLOOD AND BLACK LACE - PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES - BARON BLOOD and LISA AND THE DEVIL / HOUSE OF EXORCISM

ON ORDER
THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH - WHIP AND THE BODY - KNIVES OF THE AVENGER and HATCHET FOR THE HONEYMOON

On a side note I E-mailed Tim Lucas just to say thank you for all his work on the Image and VCI discs, and he informed me that Image are nearly at an end with the Mario Bava Collection, they have also declined to release one of his westerns (saying it wouldn't sell very well). So I will say it now, IMAGE YOU DROPPED THE BALL!

mazzariniuk
10-24-2001, 01:57 PM
Well kiddies just got done watching KNIVES OF THE AVENGER. A treat from start to finish, nothing to amazing but very enjoyable and the picture quality was stunning, also nice to see another Bava film with a 2.35:1 ratio. Cameron Mitchell was very good in the lead, and it was nice to see Giacomo Rossi Stuart in a good supporting role. So in all the excitement I quickly ordered TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE and 5 DOLLS FOR AN AUGUST MOON. That leaves me only KILL BABY KILL, FOUR TIMES THAT NIGHT and SHOCK to get on DVD, and of course any new releases from Image, hopefully they are going to re-release KILL BABY KILL.

suspiria
10-24-2001, 03:47 PM
According to numerous sources, "Kill, Baby... Kill" is being released by Image next year. I own the VCI DVD and while its the best the film has ever looked its still quite unacceptable from a DVD point of view with no extras to boot. As this is my favourite Bava film I am eagerly awaiting Image's treatment (if it ever surfaces).

mazzariniuk
11-02-2001, 07:28 PM
Forgot to say that THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH and WHIP AND THE BODY arrived last week. While I really enjoyed them both, THE GIRL WHO KNEW TOO MUCH was the better of the two IMHO.