PDA

View Full Version : Deathrow Gameshow LD

Jason25
07-19-2005, 06:32 AM
Killer film but I only own a really worn out VHS copy.

I saw this on ebay and it ended at a really cheap price but I forgot about it until the auction ended.

Anyone own this? I assume it can't be anything special on LD but was wondering how it compared to the VHS?

Media Home released this on VHS many years ago. I know a DVD was in the works from Rhino, but as far as I know, they never released it.

Paff
07-19-2005, 07:04 AM
My assumption would be that the quality would be on par with VHS, but without any degradation.

In the early days, they used the same mastering for LD that they did with VHS. Like I said, it won't have shown any deterioration over time like tape, but they probably didn't start with a great master to begin with.

Jason25
07-19-2005, 07:59 AM
My assumption would be that the quality would be on par with VHS, but without any degradation.

In the early days, they used the same mastering for LD that they did with VHS. Like I said, it won't have shown any deterioration over time like tape, but they probably didn't start with a great master to begin with.

I gotta pick this up! One of my all-time favorites. Good point about the degradation, that is what is a huge selling point to me. I wonder how rot might have affected this title? I am sure though that it is probably no worse than anything else released around this time frame. I have been lucky with lasers thus far, knock on wood.

ArrowBeach
07-19-2005, 08:16 AM
LD does have a extra, 2 trailers not found in the vhs edition.

Jason25
07-20-2005, 04:16 AM

Excellent. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info!

Agent Z
07-20-2005, 04:32 AM

Interesting! The laserdiscregister doesn't list it as having any trailers and I don't remember seeing any trailers when I watched it.

The VHS version is pretty easily had at Amazon for a ten spot, but knowing that the laserdisc has trailers on it will steer me in that direction now. Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/Deathrow.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v676/MissionCodeZ/DRGS2.jpg

Jason25
07-20-2005, 04:35 AM
Looks like their is a DVD from Marketing Film that is Widescreen!

I need to investigate this further.

Agent Z
07-20-2005, 04:38 AM
I wonder how rot might have affected this title? I am sure though that it is probably no worse than anything else released around this time frame. I have been lucky with lasers thus far, knock on wood.

I always felt that rotted laserdiscs were a problem that was blown out of proportion. For the most part, outside of a few labels Columbia!, rotted laserdiscs were/are a rather small problem.

There are "known rotter" lists online for those titles (like Columbia's Heavy Metal ) that show a trend of being more likely to experience rot issues and I have yet to see any Media/Image titles on those lists.

Hellbilly
07-20-2005, 04:48 PM
Looks like their is a DVD from Marketing Film that is Widescreen!

I need to investigate this further.
Here ya go ;)

Video: Widescreen 1.73:1 (16:9)
Audio: DD 5.1 German / DD 2.0 German / DD 2.0 English
Extras: Trailer / "Old" Opening Credits / Dreamsequence* / Slideshow / Cast & Crew Bio's

(* My guess: deleted scene)

http://www.ofdb.de/images/fassung/63/63288_f.jpg

http://www.ofdb.de/images/fassung/63/63288_b.jpg

Paff
07-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I always felt that rotted laserdiscs were a problem that was blown out of proportion. For the most part, outside of a few labels Columbia!, rotted laserdiscs were/are a rather small problem.

I've run into it more often, but that's probably because I buy more Lasers than most people.

Columbia of course had lots of rotters, but so does Warner, and I've even seen it on several Criterions. The copy of Seven Samurai I just got has quite a bit of rot on the final side.

Jason25
07-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hellbilly, you rock! I have several Marketing Films releases and for the most part, they are quite goood, some are really good.

I'll have to track down a copy of the Marketing Films DVD. Widescreen too? Heck yeah! I'm all over this.

Agent Z
07-20-2005, 05:29 PM
I've run into it more often, but that's probably because I buy more Lasers than most people.

Columbia of course had lots of rotters, but so does Warner, and I've even seen it on several Criterions. The copy of Seven Samurai I just got has quite a bit of rot on the final side.

Oh, they're out there and, like you brought up, the more discs you see, the more likely you are to encounter actual rot (not the dropouts / white specks which people mistake for rot). I just think that, overall, it's a relatively small problem.

The great thing today is, most discs that were gonna rot, have rotted by now. So a buyer of a laserdisc off of eBay or any other vendor will know right away if they have a bum disc and can take care of the problem right then and there with a refund/exchange.

I can only imagine the frustration it would have been to buy laserdiscs back in their heyday, at at those prices, only to discover years later that the disc did indeed have rot issues. :(

Jason25
07-26-2005, 03:23 AM
Score!

I have both the LD and DVD on the way. I'll post a review of each with screen shots when I receive them.

Agent Z
07-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Score!

I have both the LD and DVD on the way. I'll post a review of each with screen shots when I receive them.

Sounds good! Man, I can barely remember this film. I hope it holds up well for you. :)

Katatonia
08-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Score!

I just ordered the German DVD pretty cheap as well.

Actually I was looking on eurohorrordvds.net, and remembered I needed to get this one! I saw several screen shots off the DVD on another website, and it looks pretty dang good! :evil: