PDA

View Full Version : Will you be buying the Blind Dead box set?

rhett
07-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Aside from some great Hollywood product coming out of Warner and Universal this fall, the big indie release this year looks to be Blue Underground's ambitious five disc box set of the BLIND DEAD films. Cased in a coffin, this set looks like it could be one of the Blue's best. How do all of you feel, will you be biting when this is released on September 27th?

walkingdude
07-25-2005, 06:50 PM
No question about it.My most anticipated purchase of the year.

ekent
07-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I have seen them all but the 4th installment. I will buy the set if the price is right, but I don't love the films. I think they are more of a novelty if anything. I also love the look of the Spanish countryside.

Crystal Plumage
07-25-2005, 07:42 PM
At the moment I have no interest in the movies.
But could be after reading more about these discs I will buy them eventually (though seperately if possible)

Agent Z
07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
I've never seen them, but I just may pick them up anyway.....you know, as a blind buy....

*crickets chirping*

Mok
07-25-2005, 07:55 PM
No interest. These movies are terribly boring. However if I were a fan of these, the packaging would be enough to get my goat. You know it's funny, something as obscure as the Blind Dead series gets better packaging than the Friday the 13th films :hum:

dwatts
07-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes, but not right away. It's a little pricey for marginal titles, so the price would have to be right. A perfect DDD sale item, imo.

tobaccoman
07-25-2005, 08:11 PM
The only one I want is well you know... The Blind Dead. It just sucks that it's supposedly going to be available in the box. I just can't warrant that expensive of a purchase for basically one film. I'm hoping it becomes available again in the next few years and I'll just get it then. I wasn't too big on it in the first place, still want it indefinitely, but all the pretty packaging in the world won't sucker me into this one. It's kinda like the Jess Franco collection where I really don't care for/to see the films, but it would be nice to have. I guess that's when you know you're a true addict is when you just can't resist. I think I can, there's movies I actually like lots that I still don't have.

skmastaz
07-25-2005, 08:11 PM
It depends on the price. I want the films a lot, but I don't know if I would be willing to shell out more than $60 for them.

x666x
07-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Saw the first three and love them all. This boxset is so mine and will be bought in a heartbeat upon its release!!! Well...pending the uncut status of the films.

mcchrist
07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Without hesitation!

allmessedup
07-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Same here....

life_o_petey
07-25-2005, 08:49 PM
i don't like the packaging, but i loved the first two, so i'll definitely pick it up come september.

JW77
07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I'll probably pass.

1) The boxed set is just too expensive. At a $100 MSRP, it probably won't be discounted below $60, and that's really too much for what are pretty marginal movies.

2) I already bought the Anchor Bay double feature of the first and second movies from the a Suncoast discount bin a few years ago and am pretty satisfied with that for representation of these films in my collection.

Now if the MSRP had been $60 (meaning the retailer discounted price would be near $36, I'd definitely go for it).

Crystal Plumage
07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
I'll probably pass.

1) The boxed set is just too expensive. At a $100 MSRP, it probably won't be discounted below $60, and that's really too much for what are pretty marginal movies.

2) I already bought the Anchor Bay double feature of the first and second movies from the a Suncoast discount bin a few years ago and am pretty satisfied with that for representation of these films in my collection.

Now if the MSRP had been $60 (meaning the retailer discounted price would be near $36, I'd definitely go for it).So you would better be off buying the new (announced) Anchor Bay UK discs of the other two then:
http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=ABD4282
http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=ABD4283

Crystal Plumage
07-25-2005, 09:20 PM
I wonder how much it will be,this AB UK boxset:
http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=ABD4284

4Gotten1
07-25-2005, 09:23 PM
I don't know enough about these films to buy the box set, but if the reviews and word of mouth intensified my interest, I'd certainly consider it. Until then, I'll wait for the individual releases and play it by ear.

NickyDoyle
07-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Oh yes I will.

hell ya!
07-25-2005, 10:11 PM
I'll definitely be picking it up.

betterdan
07-25-2005, 10:27 PM
I voted yes but if it is too expensive I may have to wait a bit.

mcchrist
07-25-2005, 10:50 PM

At least get the fourth film. Night of the Seagulls is the best of the series.

Mok
07-25-2005, 11:25 PM
At least get the fourth film. Night of the Seagulls is the best of the series.

What is it that appeals to you about these? :hum: I just can't get into them...

mcchrist
07-25-2005, 11:27 PM
In a nutshell, they're incredible mood pieces.

evildeadfan123
07-26-2005, 12:07 AM
I will be buying it.

Cujo108
07-26-2005, 02:26 AM
I'm definitely getting it. The pricing is of no concern to me. This is a set I've been waiting years for.

onebyone
07-26-2005, 02:50 AM
It's a good looking, pricey set for a series of movies I have never seen. So hmmm. I got to think about it. Maybe if I can find it way cheaper, or if they are still selling them at the next DDD sale I will pick it up.

Mortis
07-26-2005, 03:23 AM
I can't remember if I liked the first one when I saw it, so I'm undecided.

Jason25
07-26-2005, 03:27 AM
Hell Yes! Great films and I'm sure BU will give them the royal treatment.

People seem to want everything for next to nothing. I don't find the MSRP to be outrageous at all. With 15,000 copies available, BU isn't exactly going to make a ton of money off this. They need to recoup for their production costs and be able to make some money to justify a release in the first place. Horror film fans are a fickle bunch to say the least.

Tuzotonic
07-26-2005, 04:23 AM
I'm jumping on these the minute they come out. I've waited a while for this box set to come out.

DeathDealer
07-26-2005, 04:28 AM
I'll probably pass.

Now if the MSRP had been $60 (meaning the retailer discounted price would be near $36, I'd definitely go for it).

Do You know that the copy you have of part 2 is heavily cut?

zombi3
07-26-2005, 04:29 AM
My vote: Yes, I haven't seen any of those movies.

I'm very rarely disappointed by a zombie flick. :banana:

thrashard76
07-26-2005, 07:11 AM
Yes, I haven't seen any of those movies except the first one from AB.

maskull
07-26-2005, 05:03 PM
No. I haven't seen them and I don't want the coffin...I don't have the room for weirdly shaped packaging. But I might pick `em up as individual releases when they come out because they sound like they might be good films.

maybrick
07-26-2005, 05:26 PM
I'll buy it. Eventually. The price is a bit prohibitive and I like the movies, just not love them. I'm going to ask for them at Christmastime or for my birthday next year.

I didn't answer the poll because the answers are too leading and opinionated and none of them fit with my viewpoint. What's wrong with having just a simple "yes", "no", or "maybe"?

razorbackattack
07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
In my mind, I've already purchased these the day DVD was invented. :D

RyanPC
07-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh hell yes, I can't wait to pick this up. I've only seen the first two (and own AB's original double-feature disc) but I think they are two of the best zombie films I've ever seen. I'm sure BU will do a superb job with the transfer and extras, and I'm really excited about checking out the other sequels for the first time.

turdburglar
07-27-2005, 05:49 PM
I have only seen "Tombs..." and I loved it. Very atmospheric, and the Blind Dead are very cool looking... I had made up my mind that I was going to buy these in a heartbeat, but that hundred dollar price tag is seriously making me reconsider. It's absolutely ridiculous the way they have been pricing dvd's lately. No more than $16 per disc new. That's my limit. But I would love to own this baby... maybe I'll pick it up used...

Mok
07-27-2005, 07:03 PM
That's the problem with DVD companies and record companies. These discs, once pressed and printed cost pennies to put out. Instead of being smart about it and pricing them reasonably, they go for the throat and gauge you because they have no faith in the common consumer to buy more. If DVDs were say $10 a piece, I think we can all agree that a trip to the DVD store would mean buying at least 5 DVDs ($50). Whereas today, 1 disc can run as high as $30+. So what happens? You buy less DVDs or you buy it used or even bootlegged and DVD company makes $0 off you. I tell you right now, if DVDs and Records sold for $10 a pop, the market would explode. They would put the renter/used/bootlegers right out of business.

Truthfully, any "limited" set can be easily mass produced. In fact doing so makes the production cost that much more efficient. The problem here, BU doesn't expect to sell many of these, and they're probably right about that because these films aren't very good. However, no one, I mean no one will blind buy this set for $100USD and come out feeling like they got their money's worth.

Crystal Plumage
07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
You must be blind and dead to pay such a price for it!:D

Crystal Plumage
07-27-2005, 07:38 PM
Seriously though,this set will be available for about $60 so what's the problem?
that's $15 per disc,not counting the bonusdisc.Seems OK with me...
But as I said earlier (was it this thread? I'm confused..) I will probably buy them seperately when available.

maybrick
07-27-2005, 07:46 PM
As has been discussed time and again, it doesn't matter if $30-40 is shaved off the SRP, a lot of think $60 is STILL too much to pay for these particular movies. That's the problem!

Crystal Plumage
07-27-2005, 07:48 PM
On a side note,the LE 3disc of Suspiria (2001) is still widely available and while the MSRP was $44.98,I bought it for $19 last year.
So perhaps you'd rather wait?

Semerrill
07-27-2005, 08:04 PM
im buying it

gojira69
07-28-2005, 01:30 AM
I've seen the first 2 and loved 'em. I resisted the temptation to acquire the 3rd and 4th on crappy PD releases, anticipating for a few years now acquiring better versions, and now its coming soon!

I like older euro horror, as to my sensibilities it seems a little quirky and frequently surprises me with twists from left field, which in horror is a big plus, and zombies is an automatic plus!

BobB

DecayingFlesh
07-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Looks alot like my Coffin Joe box set, only simpler. Anyhow, these movies rock. Expect to see stock footage(can't get enough of those templar horseback riding slow motion segments) in the sequels and be on the look out for the incredible special effects like the model ship in the bath tub.

Mortis
07-29-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm slowly changing my mind towards definitely picking it up after reading all the posts about it.

fceurich39
07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
hell no

razorbackattack
07-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I'd buy this set if it cost $200 bucks!!! Bring it on!!! :evil: