PDA

View Full Version : JESS FRANCO's JACK THE RIPPER???

skinnypuppy6
09-24-2001, 02:19 AM
does any one know where online i can buy this disc i'd prefer a site based in the usa or canada( i'm sorry eurofriends)

melack
09-24-2001, 04:29 AM
I ordered it from Tower, Bestbuy, and Amazon in late July. As expected, both Tower and Bestbuy couldn't get it and canceled my orders. My order at Amazon is still active but it's been 8 weeks now.

Good luck

crank
09-24-2001, 04:32 AM
On the website for "The Official Jess Franco Collection" they have the release date of this disc listed as Sept. 25th. 2001, so I don't think it's actually out yet. This is such a little company and they have shot out so many release dates for this disc in the past that I don't think most online distributers are keeping up with it's actual release date. Try around in early Oct. and you will probably find better luck. At least I hope so, because thats when I intend to try and order it.

crank

melack
09-24-2001, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by crank
On the website for "The Official Jess Franco Collection" they have the release date of this disc listed as Sept. 25th. 2001

As far as I know, the release of the "Official" DVD has been postponed indefinitely.

However, a budget company called Platinum Disc (who also did Hammer's "Satanic Rites of Dracula") released the film on DVD in July. I believe this is the version skinnypuppy is referring to.

melack

AceRimRat
09-24-2001, 10:12 PM
According to the guy who answers the e-mail at the Official Jess Franco Collection Web site, the disc is coming out this week, but they haven't gotten a U.S. distribution place yet (this from him a couple of weeks ago, before the disaster; so I don't know if that might delay things). But he says it's coming out, and soon.

The $8 Platinum DVD that Amazon is selling is a "special order," and I canceled mine after about seven weeks. I don't know what's up with it - that's the disc Bruce H mentioned on the forum a while back, so I guess he scored a copy.

The Elite disc, of course, was canceled.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the Euro disc - it looks sweet - I'm going to try pestering the guy again later in the week about U.S. distribution. After that, I guess it's eBay. Sigh.

skinnypuppy6
09-24-2001, 11:40 PM
well Fuck!! ill just have to wait

crank
09-25-2001, 02:35 AM
I figure I'll just give it a couple weeks, and then try to nab one off Ebay for around $30, shouldn't be too hard.

crank

skinnypuppy6
09-25-2001, 03:04 AM
30.00 for the 8.00 platinum dvd or the euro disc???

ian
09-28-2001, 08:48 PM
i just found this at fred meyers for $4.99. it's been released by diamond (the same company that put out seven doors of death, house by the cemetary, kill baby kill, and a budget version of cat o' nine tails). i haven't actually watched it yet, i literally got it an hour ago, but i thought i'd let you know that it's out there and it's cheap and you don't need to pay $30 for it on ebay.

skinnypuppy6
09-28-2001, 09:09 PM
fred meyers????

skinnypuppy6
09-28-2001, 09:10 PM
is that an online store if so could you post a link

ian
09-28-2001, 11:04 PM
fred meyers is a dept/grocery store on the west coast. the store link is www.fredmeyer.com but they don't really have much in the way of online shopping.

i wouldn't be surprised to see the disc show up at suncoast or some of the other stores. i just saw the jtr disc today and i know for a fact that it wasn't there last week, and the copyright date on it is 2001, so i'm assuming it's pretty new.

as well, it's not listed on diamonds website yet, which is at www.e-dmec.com

skinnypuppy6
09-29-2001, 01:51 AM
thanks for the info ill keep an eye out for it

Jason25
10-04-2001, 05:36 AM
Never knew this was released by Diamond Entertainment, interesting.

Steve Langton
10-05-2001, 12:01 AM
I ordered the cheaper version of Jack The Ripper from Amazon about 8 weeks ago, and received an email today informing me it has just been despatched. As I live in the UK, it will take around 11 - 14 days to reach me but I'll let you know what I think of the picture quality when I've given it a spin.

AceRimRat
10-05-2001, 12:11 AM
I e-mailed the Euro guys yesterday.

I'll see what they say and report back.

skinnypuppy6
10-06-2001, 06:44 AM
I just picked up a copy off ebay for 9.99:)

AceRimRat
10-08-2001, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by skinnypuppy6
I just picked up a copy off ebay for 9.99:)

The Diamond (?) cheap one or the Euro-version?

skinnypuppy6
10-09-2001, 02:45 AM
the cheapo. normaly i dont pay over 5.99 for a diamond but what the hell i dont want to wait to find it in a local store and stores around here only stock the same old diamonds

AceRimRat
10-17-2001, 08:00 AM
Well, there's good news and bad news.

I heard back from the guy at the Web site for the Jess Franco Collection.

The good news is, he says, and I quote:

"The DVD is released and available in Europe..."

The bad news is, he says, and I quote:

"...but not yet in the United States - distribution deals are still being worked on."

He suggests ordering from Europe and says it will be available in the UK soon, too.

So the question is, where the heck do we find this thing? Sazuma still lists it as canceled and SexGoreMutants doesn't have it in the catalog. Same with Laser Exchange.

Before we start bidding against each other on eBay, anybody got any other ideas?

(For the curious, the fellow from the Web site describes part of their distribution problem as having to do with two "bootleg" versions - one I assume is the now-canceled Elite disc they accused of being a pirate version. I guess the other must be the Diamond disc. I know nothing about the legality of it all.)

skinnypuppy6
10-18-2001, 03:04 AM
cool I still want the import the diamond transfer is not all that still its alot better than most diamonds but I'd prefer the "collection" version althow for the price (chump change) the diamond is not bad and a must for Franco fans!:)

bruce h
10-18-2001, 03:12 AM
#1) Fuck Sazuma. In the ass. They're crooks, do not send them your money.

#2) The DVD was JUST released in Europe like 2 days ago, so give it a few weeks and the usual DVD importers will have it (Luminous, Diabolik DVD, Sight and Sound, Laser Exchange, Blackest Heart, etc). Show some patience and you'll have it soon enough.

#3) Their distro problems are simple - if a store sees they can buy a Jack The Ripper DVD for $3 wholesale or another one for $18 wholesale, they're going to choose the $3 one. That's why all you see around now are shitty copies of Night of the Living Dead, it's all about the cost.

#4) Fuck the Diamond and Platinum discs - they're a waste when compared to the new disc. Plus they're cut.

Jason25
10-18-2001, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by bruce h

#2) The DVD was JUST released in Europe like 2 days ago, so give it a few weeks and the usual DVD importers will have it (Luminous, Diabolik DVD, Sight and Sound, Laser Exchange, Blackest Heart, etc). Show some patience and you'll have it soon enough.

#3) Their distro problems are simple - if a store sees they can buy a Jack The Ripper DVD for $3 wholesale or another one for $18 wholesale, they're going to choose the $3 one. That's why all you see around now are shitty copies of Night of the Living Dead, it's all about the cost.

#4) Fuck the Diamond and Platinum discs - they're a waste when compared to the new disc. Plus they're cut.

You bring up some good points, agreed on all, especially Sazuma, they suck ass.

skinnypuppy6
10-18-2001, 03:27 AM

#4) Fuck the Diamond and Platinum discs - they're a waste when compared to the new disc. Plus they're cut. ...yeh fuck em but i still bought the disc

skinnypuppy6
10-18-2001, 03:30 AM
and ill buy the other! I confess I'm an impatient bastard

Jason25
10-18-2001, 03:31 AM
Don't get me wrong, I still buy the Diamond discs, their transfers usually aren't too too bad and with the cheap price tag they carry, I gladly add them to my collection. I would have never been able to get the 1107 dvds I have if I had to pay Criterion like price tags.

ian
10-18-2001, 08:48 PM
i agree. and the fact that you can get all four street fighter movies on two discs for $6.99 each rocks. there's something to be said about that price tag.

ian.... an admited sonny chiba addict.

bruce h
10-18-2001, 10:54 PM
Diamond's DVDs are all essentially unlicensed bootlegs. Sure, they're cheap, but by buying tham all you're really doing is ensuring that a legit company probably won't go through the time and effort it takes to put together a real release. So if you're happy with cheap, shitty looking releases go ahead and keep buying them - but some of us would actually like to see some DVDs that aren't taken from OOP videotapes. (the Chiba Streetfighter's are taken from the old Image LDs, I don't know why New Line hasn't sued them yet).

AceRimRat
10-18-2001, 11:35 PM

Wow. No need to get so worked up over things. :(

bruce h
10-18-2001, 11:39 PM
since when is speaking the truth considered "getting worked up over things"?

ian
10-19-2001, 12:01 AM
bruce, if the diamond discs are essentially bootlegs, how do they get away with it? i mean, they're not hard to find in stores. i'm not being sarcastic, i'm genuinely curious.

also, i guess if they're bootlegs, that explains why they're so cheap.

i had no idea that this was the case.

as far as new line suing goes, i've seen at least versions of street fighter around on dvd, i just happened to grab the diamond ones because they had two films on each disc. do you know if any of the other ones are authorized?

bruce h
10-19-2001, 04:06 AM
I assume Diamond (and other groups, like Platinum or Brentwood) get away with it only because the current rights owners don't know about it.

The Streetfighter series was originally bought from Toei Studios in Japan and imported into the US by New Line Cinema in the early 70s.

(Trivia!
The first entry in the Streetfighter series was the first film ever rated X for violence! Jack Sholder, director of Alone In The Dark, Nightmare On Elm Street 2, and The Hidden edited the trailers, designed the titles and supervised the English dubbing. He did the same for the Japanese Yakuza film The Tattooed Hitman.)

The films were runaway success and were subsequently edited to "R" ratings so more theatres would carry them. Unfortunately these R rated bowdlerizations were the only versions that prevailed on video throughout the years - if you were even lucky enough to FIND them on video. Finally, in the late 90s due to Quentin Tarantino's enthusiastic love for the films he talked Laserdisc company Image Entertainment into licensing the series for a long overdue release on disc - all uncut and ltbx.

(More Trivia!
Tarantino is a HUGE fan of Sonny Chiba in general. He has the couple of Clarence and Alabama meet at a Streetfighter triple feature in True Romance, the lengthy Biblical passage Jules delivers repeatedly in Pulp Fiction is derived from the opening of The Bodyguard, and Quentin even cast Sonny Chiba in a role in his upcoming rape/revenge action pic Kill Bill.)

Image took care of the LD release while New Line retained VHS rights. When the licensing deal ended, all rights reverted back to New Line. Im guessing that Diamond and the other labels saw that Image no longer had the rights and took it upon themselves to release the Streetfighter films on DVD, using the old LDs as their masters (just for the record, the rest of the Sonny Chiba films on these cheapo labels are all taken from old videotape masters, and the old video releases of these titles look BETTER, with sharper picture and better colors). I agree the Streetfighter films look OK on DVD, but if this hadnt have happened Im sure New Line would have eventually released the series themselves, they would have looked A LOT better, and they would have had some xtras.

So how does this all relate? Well, by saying youd rather pay $6 for Jack the Ripper youre saying that if a bootleg label releases the film its not worth me taking the time, love and effort needed to make a nice DVD presentation. Why should I waste my money if youd rather have a cheap version? Why should I buy Pieces and restore it to DVD with some interviews and a trailer if youd rather buy the $6 version at Best Buy that used the old Vestron tape as a master?

Do I make sense?

ian
10-19-2001, 05:01 AM
so i would assume that the pther versions that i've seen around aren't legit either. i'd love to see new line do a special edition boxed set or something like that.

thanks for the clarification on that, and yes, you do make sense.

i'd gladly pay $20 for a cleaned up street fighter with extras instead of $6 for the cheapo one but in the case of these films, and the other diamond chiba flic, it seems unlikely that they'll be released any other way.

you do make perfect sense though.

ian

skinnypuppy6
10-19-2001, 05:04 AM
hell i bought the diamond cause i wanted to see the film and im going to uy the import when i can find it

Jason25
10-19-2001, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by skinnypuppy6
hell i bought the diamond cause i wanted to see the film and im going to uy the import when i can find it

I hear you, and very much agree with you. I did the same.

Also, I am very crazy about DVD collecting and I bought the Diamond Fulci discs merely to add to my Fulci collection.

AceRimRat
10-19-2001, 10:57 PM
since when is speaking the truth considered "getting worked up over things"?

In an earlier thread on this, you're the one who brought up the cheapo discs you're criticizing.

And you don't need to tell me and everyone else to "show some patience" to get the disc when you say it was "just released in Europe like two days ago." I was merely explaining what I heard from the company, which was that the disc was out in Europe - with no update on their Sept. 25 release date, which was more than two days before my post.

All I want to do is find the disc from a nice, reliable distributor. I didn't need a lecture on release dates or distribution problems.

In fact, I haven't bought the cheap one because I agree with you completely - I'd rather pay up for quality.

crank
10-20-2001, 12:20 AM
How are Samuza crooks? I have yet to have any interaction from them, but I almost bought a couple discs off of their site once, until I did my budget. ;)