PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Craven Film?

rhett
08-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Of all the major horror directors of the last 30 years, Wes Craven has been most consistent in keeping audiences interested. Carpenter, Romero and Argento have all seen audiences wane throughout the nineties and still today, yet Craven's popularity as a director is probably more pronounced now than it was in his Elm Street days. With his new film, RED EYE, getting some of the best reviews Craven's ever received, lets take the time to consider his career and which film stands out as your favorite of his.

Mok
08-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Easily Cursed...just kidding, Nightmare on Elm Street

RyanPC
08-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Tough choice between Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes, but I ultimately went with Last House.

dwatts
08-19-2005, 05:56 PM
He's kept the audiences interest by pandering to them, imo. It's kept him at the forefront, but frankly, to many horror fans he's just not very relevant today. Excepting that is, some of the early work. Looking at that list, it is so clear that he creatively dipped, and started to deliver less and less.

I went with Last House on the Left. The reason I went with that can be summed up in one word: ATTITUDE. He maintaind that through Hills, but it started to decline from there.

So sure, he's more known, but less important. His films are simply too mainstream for my liking. It's horror for the masses. Not really something I like too much.

Tien21
08-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm going to reserve my judgement until after I see Red Eye. I'll probably go with Last House as well. I had no idea Craven directed Swamp Thing haha. He really has had his ups and downs. Also this is my 100th post! WOO HOO! :banana: It took long enough but I got there.

MorallySound
08-19-2005, 06:31 PM
The Hills Have Eyes. NOES was soo close.

maybrick
08-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Except for a few of his films I just plain don't care about his body of work. He hasn't been relevant for at least 20 years. Out of the four big names from the 70s (Romero, Argento, Hooper, Craven) he may be the most successful, but even his classics IMO are subpar in comparison to the best of the other three.

I chose The Hills Have Eyes.

Bobbywoodhogan
08-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street but where is Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors he directed that aswell.

Bobbywoodhogan
08-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Oh shit i was way wrong excuse me.

tobaccoman
08-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Ouch, I hated to do it, but I went with Scream. I find it do be his most entertaining and technically polished film. Both NOES entries were pretty close, but I felt there were still a cheesy scene or two that keep them from being as good as Scream.

KillerCannabis
08-19-2005, 06:57 PM
It was a tough call between NOES and LHOTL, but I had to go with Nightmare. Its the classic. Its when Freddy still had balls. I love it.

onebyone
08-19-2005, 07:28 PM
There are some good ones and bad ones up there huh? At any rate, I went with A Nightmare on Elm Street, and I didn't even think it was very close.

Myron Breck
08-19-2005, 07:31 PM
I went with THE HILLS HAVE EYES (the original, although the sequel is a guilty pleasure of mine--how embarassing!). I agree with dwatts and maybrick as far as his "legacy" is concerned. I almost went with LAST HOUSE but chose HILLS since it's more fun to watch repeatedly.

KR~!
08-19-2005, 07:40 PM
The Hills Have Eyes is his best I think.

bachmann
08-19-2005, 07:50 PM
i went with hills have eyes i just love that evil bastard

Semerrill
08-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Last House....

KamuiX
08-19-2005, 08:33 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street, followed by The Serpent and the Rainbow and Last House on the Left. The rest I could do without, although The Hills Have Eyes is OK I guess...

hell ya!
08-19-2005, 08:37 PM
The Hills Have Eyes. After that he lost his balls and made shit with the exception of NOES.

Cujo108
08-19-2005, 08:55 PM
The Hills Have Eyes is his best film. A gritty classic that just oozes the 70s. The Serpent & the Rainbow and Deadly Blessing are the other two greats of his career.

Anthropophagus
08-19-2005, 08:57 PM
I went with the underdog Deadly Blessing, this film really creeped me out as a kid especially Michael Berryman. Many shiver inducing moments such as the spider and bathtub scenes. The voyeur scene with Berryman was pretty twisted too, especially since I was about eight when I saw it.
Nightmare On Elm Street was good too, but my memories have been tainted by too many crappy sequels, except for New Nightmare which was quite good.
Hills Have Eyes was ok, but only saw this recently so it seemed quite dated, I actually prefer Just Before Dawn by Lieberman, I know I am in the minority with this. As a kid, I actually liked Hills II (go figure, I thought the angle with the dirt bike riders was cool), probably since I had one myself.
Last House On The Left is too disturbing and perverse, I cannot watch that film more than about once every five years. The cruelty towards the young girls is just too much and too close to the evening news for my taste. I realize it is a minor masterpiece in its ability to shock and repel, as George Bernard Shaw said 'The secret of success is to offend the greatest number of people'. If this is true, Last House should be considered a classic.
Swamp Thing was also a childhood fave, seeing Dave Hess playing his traditional bad ass in a PG rated film was interesting. Love Adrienne Barbeau and Louis Jourdan as Arcane-the campy feel of that film and swamp locales kicked ass.
The only thing notable about Shocker was its soundtrack, with some great music contributed by Paul Stanley, Desmond Child and Tommy Lee. Craven's attempt to build another lucrative horror film icon in the Freddy Krueger vein pretty much fell flat.
The remainder of his films I have either not seen (Deadly Friend) or suck worse than a piccadilly square harlot (Cursed,Vampire in Brooklyn).

fceurich39
08-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street but where is Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors he directed that aswell.
ugh no he did not direct part 3 he came back and did the screenplay and story chuck russell directed this one
he did direct nightmare on elm street 7: wes craven's new nightmare

fceurich39
08-19-2005, 09:22 PM
i went with hills have eyes

Bobbywoodhogan
08-19-2005, 09:34 PM
ugh no he did not direct part 3 he came back and did the screenplay and story chuck russell directed this one
he did direct nightmare on elm street 7: wes craven's new nightmare

I know I already realised I made a goof you should have read my post below that.

PMcG_6
08-19-2005, 10:23 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street, followed by The Serpent and the Rainbow and Last House on the Left.

Ditto

Crystal Plumage
08-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Swamp Thing :)

MartinD1
08-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Nightmare is my favorite.
But I love The Hills and the finale of Last House .

evildeadfan123
08-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Nightmare On Elm Street, Last House On The Left, Shocker, Deadly Friend - which needs to be released on DVD, Hills Have Eyes

The worst out of the whole bunch is Cursed. It was okay, but it was no American Werewolf In London.

thrashard76
08-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Anoes

Erick H.
08-20-2005, 08:23 AM
I went with the original ELM STREET,though I'm quite fond of many of his films ,RAINBOW is underrated.

Katatonia
08-20-2005, 10:58 AM
A Nightmare on Elm Street easily. Scared the living shit out of me when I was about 10 years old and first saw it. Highly original and daring for its time. The Hills Have Eyes a close second, and thirdly, The Last House on the Left.

Demon
08-20-2005, 06:30 PM
I love a lot on that list but I have to go with A Nightmare on Elm Street....I mean come on seriously.

Franco
08-20-2005, 07:55 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street. ;)

Deus Ex Machina
08-21-2005, 04:25 AM
Last House is my favourite...it's a movie that dares you to watch

maskull
08-21-2005, 08:21 PM
NOES followed closely by A New Nightmare. Also enjoy the Scream Trilogy, Hils, Last House, and I really want to like Serpent...but I just never could.

Most of his other movies (that I've seen--haven't seen Deadly Blessing or Deadly Friend) just aren't that good. A few I will watch occasionally (Shocker, maybe Cursed) but they're not very good movies.

Honestly Red Eye doesn't interest me much either.

walkingdude
08-23-2005, 04:16 AM
Ok fess up,who else voted for Deadly Friend?It was a toss up.I love Last House on the Left too but thought I would be the only DF vote.:)

Cantona07
08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Come on guys, there is only one film only that comes to mind.........

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/a_nightmare_on_elm_street/robert_englund/nightmare3.jpg

MartinD1
08-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I wonder how many more polls I'll have to participate for the rest of my life util everyone understands that A NGIHTMARE ON ELM STREET is his best movie because it not only is a heck of a great horror film, but it also reached the audience and made it a franchise, something that Last House... or The Hills... couldn't, can't and won't ever do. Of course those other two are also great horror movies, but not for everyone.
Scream was nice, but I just don't see it as a horror movie, it's almost "campy" (and I don't know if I'm using the term correctly). It was like an update of the horror movies of the 80's, including elements of the everyday life of tennage people from the '90s. Wes Craven rulez. ;-)

Nemesis
09-07-2005, 06:27 AM
when i voted on this poll i was kind of uncertain about voting for The People Under the Stairs before i saw Red Eye..... that uncertainty can be put to rest though.. and whoever voted for it deserves a slap! ;)