PDA

View Full Version : Two Evil Eyes

EVIL-SINNER
09-25-2001, 06:30 AM
I have only seen the George Romero half and was wondering if the Argento half was equaly as good if not better?

Werner Von Wallenrod
09-25-2001, 10:25 AM
Argento's blew Romero's out of the water!

Paff
09-25-2001, 06:22 PM
Romero's half sucked more than anything which has sucked before.

I've only seen this movie twice, and both times I watched the whole thing. It took me a while to get into the Argento story, mostly because I was recovering from Romero's mailed-in directing job.

Now I have it on laserdisc, and I can immediately start on side 2, which is where The Black Cat begins, thus not subjecting myself to The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar.

(by the way, I'm a huge Romero fan, but that opening segment was just plain BAD!)

crank
09-26-2001, 02:43 AM
I must agree with the rest of the crew. While I didn't think that Romero's half was quite as bad as everybody else seems to, I must admit that it was nothing campared to Argento's VIOLENT retelling of Poe's The Black Cat. Argento's half also blew Fulci's The Black Cat out of the water, and I'm a HUGE Lucio Fulci fan.

crank

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 11:33 AM
I agree with Crank - who agrees with the rest of the crew.
I too, didn't think Romero's segment was as bad as everybody says - but it sure wasn't a patch on anything he's been involved in before. Look at the energy behing Creepshow & Day Of The Dead - Romero had really hit a pace & then this! - A tired, shabby episode - which doesn't even try.

Dario's Black Cat is super-charged, even though he's not working with familiar crew. Harvey Keitel is great as the over-the-top obsessive Rod Usher, Madeleine Potter is suitably annoying & I have to admit it - I didn't shed any tears when she bought it, lots of cunning Poe references & a real mean streak. The only criticism is that there is some abrupt editing, especially during the fight scene with Usher & Legrand, and also the final scene - which I won't detail out of respect for anyone who hasn't seen it.