PDA

View Full Version : Blood From the Mummy's Tomb

Paff
09-25-2001, 11:29 PM
Hey Hammer nuts

Has everyone read my Blood From the Mummy's Tomb review? It was a real tough movie to review, because I felt the storytelling was so damn bad. (But I did give it another chance). So as a "fringe-Hammer fan" I was wondering what the hardcore fans think of this movie...

I do like Hammer films, but I don't worship everything they made. I'd love to know where this film fits in with the rest of the Hammer library, and if my assessment is accurate...

carl.kolchak
09-26-2001, 12:12 AM
Paff, checked out the review and I think a C+ is a very fair rating for this movie, it's good but not a great Hammer film, I actually enjoyed <i> The Vengence of She</i> more than <i> Mummy's Tomb</i> if you can believe that. :) I thought <i> Scars</i> was easily the best release from the recent wave both in terms of the film and content of the discs.

Karen
09-26-2001, 12:38 AM
Hey, Paff!!

I'm a Hammer virgin, myself, so it's been extremely difficult for me to review Scars of Dracula and Lust for a Vampire. I don't have much of a background other than a couple of the Cushing/Lee classics. On the one hand, the films are really nice to look at, but on the other, they tiptoe on the border of stupidity (especially "Lust"...ugggh).

Scars of Dracula was a really good film with great actors but a dumb story. I gave it a C+ just as you did with Mummy's Tomb. I hope that's fair...and I hope that calms the masses who were upset with my, um, "objective" review of Lust for a Vampire.

I could relate to your review for this movie and think it was very fair.

Take care! Karen

Paff
09-26-2001, 01:55 AM
Blood From the Mummy's Tomb was just so damned confusing the first time through. There's all these random characters that seem unrelated. Ya gotta keep notes and a scorecard, so that later on in the movie, you can make sense of it all.

I'm not a Hammer virgin, but I'm not a veteran either. I haven't seen any of the Frankenstein films. (are they any good?). I do enjoy several of the Vampire movies I've seen: Dracula Prince of Darkness, Kiss of the Vampire, Brides of Dracula, etc. I love the attention to detail in the sets and costumes.

I just didn't want to completely slam a movie if it's everyone's favorite Hammer film (I'm now finding out that it isn't). I also didn't want to give ANY studio the impression that we don't want Hammer films on DVD. Give us ALL the Hammer films, and let the fans sort out which ones we want. heheheh

skinnypuppy6
09-26-2001, 03:41 AM
Good review! right on the money with the C+!!!

Yowie
09-26-2001, 07:48 AM
Yes, it was a pretty good review Paff. I agree the movie is not even close to any of the truly great Hammers, and that it's somewhat confusing. -But boy, does Miss Leon look delicious; very effective shots of her !. If I remember it correctly the original director Seth Holt died halfway through, and the son-of-Hammer Michael Carreras (who's no real director) had to step in and finish it. Apparently Holt had, as I understand it, left no notes about what he filmed and filmed half scenes resulting in total confusion and sleepless nights for Carreras. I believe this is why the resulting movie is so confusing. I didn't like it the first time either, but it actually gets better with each viewing and James Villiers is always so good in these snobbish roles. For some reason it has a rather large cult following, and is widely considered the best mummy movie Hammer made - after "The Mummy", of course. -Strange really that it's held in so high regard, considering there's no dusty mummy !. Personally I prefer "The Mummy's Shroud", which again is considered crap by many. Paff, you absolutely must check out the Frankenstein movies. -They are individually just as good, if not better than the Draculas, especially the first two Frankensteins.