PDA

View Full Version : Door To Silence

mazzariniuk
09-26-2001, 12:42 AM
Has anyone here actually seen Lucio Fulci's last film? If yes what are the opinions... has it actually been released on any home format in any countries apart from Japan (those guys seem to have everything).

crank
09-26-2001, 02:41 AM
I have a rather decent quality Bootleg VHS I got from midnight video. I like the movie quite a bit, and I eagerly await it to get a DVD release somewhere other than Japan. The movie is a little dry, no gore to speak of. But it does have a rather creepy atmosphere, and a neat story with decent acting. I don't understand why it's been maligned as badly as it has over the years. It's kind of a like a slow, deliberate ghost story with a very low budget. Not his best work by any stretch of the imagination, but still one of the better entries in his later years. And it's lightyears better than Sadoma's Ghost.

crank

mcchrist
09-26-2001, 03:05 AM
This is Fulci's best film! I say this because we were beginning to see more growth from Fulci as a director. The style is like what he did with The Black Cat except much more polished. What makes this his best film was the script itself, I think perhaps Fulci spent more time putting this film on paper than his previous works, and what we end up with is a film that has slightly more depth than his previous outings. It is less linear and two-dimensional. It is by far a great movie (I never thought of Fulci as great) but if the old man were to make it a few years before snuffing it, we very well may have had a masterpiece on his hands. The greatest thing Fulci ever contributed besides style, effects, and gore was the wonderful Turkish rip-off of his "The Psychic" I have yet to see it, but if it is anything like the Turkish Star Wars or Superman, then this supposed shot-for-shot remake of perhaps Fulci's weakest effort with the addition of musical numbers, hell yes!!!! Hail Bollywood!!!

BlazingMagnum
09-26-2001, 10:58 AM
I saw a rare screening at Eurofest 94, in London with Fulci present.
Before the movie rolled, Fulci gave a brief profile of events on the production & non-existent distribution of Door To Silence & basically blamed Joe D'Amato for everything. Fulci isn't even credited on the movie as director. The old story, D'Amato anglicised the director's name & re-cut the movie.

It's okay, but hardly a fitting swan-song to the great man. The story runs over-long - it would've made a good short - and the general feeling amongst the Eurofest audience members was one of lethargy & boredom.
Personally, I quite enjoyed catching one of the only theatrical screenings ever, but it wasn't Lizard In A Woman's Skin - by any stretch.
Much of the best examples of Fulci are from his pre-zombie days.
Don't Torture A Duckling, Lizard In A Woman's Skin, Four Of The Apocalypse & Beatrice Cenci are supercool, and really show off Fulci's pace & creativity as a director.

marcx
01-18-2005, 08:01 PM
I finally watched Door over the weekend---and it was much better than Stephen Trower had led me to belive in his Fulci book...

It was a tad slow, but that helped towards its odd atmosphere--and I never felt compelled to turn it off. The twist was a little obvious but still I rather enjoyed it...

On related Fulci notes, does anyone know how to get a copy of the Psychic or Beatrice Cenci?

The Chaostar
01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
I too believe that this is a very underated film. I really like Door To Silence
and, while I don't think that it's Fulci's best film I still find it very enjoyable.

The Chaostar
01-19-2005, 04:33 PM
Here's a review.

http://www.angelo-verde.com/horrorfilms/athrud/doortosilence.htm

marcx
01-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Chaostar--thats a pretty accurate review actually!

Ill chalk this up to another Fulci in the plus column. So far the only Fulci I havent enjoyed is the sweet house of horror. Even that had afew interesting moments, but not enough!

I cant wait for Lizard---

and I really want to see the Psychic!

HalloweeNightJW
01-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I have the Japanese DVD. I like the film. Slow at times, true, but I dig the 'Nawlins vibe. Worth a look.