PDA

View Full Version : The Best Howling Sequel Is...

rhett
09-07-2005, 05:27 AM
Unlike HALLOWEEN, A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET or GINGER SNAPS, the HOWLING series has spawned countless sequels with little or no relation to their predecessors. Each one for the most part exists on its own terms, the only requisite that it contain werewolves. Each HOWLING film is an experience to itself, so which sequel do you like best?

eric_angelus
09-07-2005, 05:38 AM
I liked 6 alot..though any of them are better than New Moon Rising.

Surge92
09-07-2005, 05:44 AM
I've seen all the sequels except The Howling 6: The Freaks. If I had to pick the "best" one, I would have to go with The Howling 4: The Original Nightmare, which is pretty much a cheaper rehash of the original. Of course, that's not saying a whole lot, given the horrid track record of the sequels.

My DVD Collection (http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=surge92)

rxfiend
09-07-2005, 05:59 AM
Haven't seen 2 yet (will be getting the dvd the week it gets released) but i think part 5 is the best. I really liked the castle setting and thought the film was a lot of fun. I seen parts of 7 on SCIFI; that was fucking horrible!

Stige
09-07-2005, 07:12 AM
ok thats it I MUST have part seven to complete the collection
that said
the cheese factor of part two has to make it top of the sequels

Katatonia
09-07-2005, 08:07 AM
I probably enjoy Part 5, The Rebirth the most. Movies in castles and dungeons...I'm there!

I'm just waiting to see if anyone votes for New Moon Rising! :lol:

Cujo108
09-07-2005, 08:50 AM
I went with Howling VI: The Freaks. Its the most entertaining with its vampire/werwolf story arc. The bizarre charm of Howling II gives it the runner-up slot. The third and final films are pure shit.

Haven't seen 2 yet (will be getting the dvd the week it gets released)

Its a weird situation with this DVD. I bought it at Movie Trading Company two weeks ago. I figured maybe it was just a big street date break, but since then, I've also come across copies at both Best Buy and Kroger. DVDEmpire still has it listed as a Sept. 20th release though. Regardless, it has a lovely transfer.

othervoice1
09-07-2005, 08:51 AM
new moon rising was soooo freakin horrible- horrible horrible horrible- who wrote that piece of crap and added the horrible acting to boot- one of the worst horror movies ive ever seen (actually i couldnt make it through the whole thing it was so awful)

RyanPC
09-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Howling II may not be the most interesting in the series (that distinction would go to Howling 5), but for my money it's the most fun, and probably the closest in tone to the original. So Howling II gets my vote.

New Moon Rising is THE worst film ever made. Seriously, folks. I'm glad no one voted for it... yet.

And to correct rhett, some of the later sequels do tie together in some way... there are recurring characters in 4, 5, and New Moon Rising.

walkingdude
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Had to go with Part 2.I also like 3 and 6 alot too.

Fumi
09-07-2005, 01:56 PM
Part 2 has always had a special place in my heart. I recorded it a long time ago and must have watched it 10 times. I also liked the one set in the castle.

walkingdude
09-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Part 2 has always had a special place in my heart. I recorded it a long time ago and must have watched it 10 times. I also liked the one set in the castle.
Perhaps I have them mixed up but I thought Part 2 took place in a castle.:confused:

fceurich39
09-07-2005, 11:26 PM
part 2 stirba werewolf bitch is the best sequel gotta love that music and cheeze 7/10
part 3 the marsupials was okay pg-13 horror/comedy 5/10
part 4 the original nightmare was more like a shitty remake of original that sucked 2/10
part 5 the rebirth was okay not great 4/10
part 6 the freaks was kinda cool 6/10
part 7 new moon rising probably worst movie ever made avoid 0/10 not part of the series and newline helped distribute this ugh...

anyway i own all but part 7 get 1,2,3,4,5,6 are the true howling movies

KR~!
09-07-2005, 11:34 PM
Howling: New Moon Rising is hands down the worst movie ever made in the history of movies, it's not even so bad it's good, it's just unwatchable. There aren't even any werewolves in it.

Vomits uncontrollably just thinking about how bad the movie is...

RyanPC
09-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Perhaps I have them mixed up but I thought Part 2 took place in a castle.:confused:

Nope, that was The Rebirth. :)

P.S.: Okay, who voted for New Moon Rising?? :cry:

bigwes15
09-08-2005, 03:18 AM
I agree with the popular opinion here that both part 7 (obviously) and the third one absolutely suck ass....I liked 4 and 5, and 2 is good as just a crazy experience. I actually haven't seen 6 yet, although I do own it as part of the double feature with 5.

indiephantom
09-08-2005, 03:25 AM
I haven't seen any of the sequels...always have been curious, though.

othervoice1
09-09-2005, 04:48 AM
okay two people voted for new moon rising so far- ha ha - very funny....

Katatonia
09-09-2005, 05:08 AM
okay two people voted for new moon rising so far- ha ha - very funny....

I can't imagine who, it must be Boll fans. :lol:

ArrowBeach
09-09-2005, 08:19 AM
I can't imagine who, it must be Boll fans. :lol:

Imagine if Uncle Uwe gets his hands on THE HOWLING franchise!

Dave
09-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Which ones are available on DVD?

Howling I - Yes
Howling II - Yes
Howling III - Yes
Howling IV - Yes, import
Howling V - Yes
Howling VI - Yes
Howling VII - Who cares?

I voted for Part V. Part V and VI are probably the two best sequels. But I too am a sucker for castle settings.

evildeadfan123
09-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I voted for Part 6. I haven't seen Part 7, but I have seen the other sequels, but it has been quite some time since I have seen them.

Deaddevilman
09-09-2005, 02:13 PM
You forgot to ad "none". The Howling is good, the sequels don't even come close. The last few have been nothing but pure feces.

Rockmjd
09-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Are any of the sequels connected to eachother or the original?

Jamm
09-09-2005, 03:55 PM
It's nice to see so many people voting for Sybil Danning's tits. I really must pick up that DVD soon!

ArrowBeach
09-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Are any of the sequels connected to eachother or the original?

some are, while the last one is connected to purgetory.

MartinD1
09-09-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm a big fan of Howling III: The Marsupials.
http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&id=103
Werewolf disguised nuns, you can't beat that. :-)

patmcgahern
09-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I like Howling VI best of the sequels as it was pleasant surprise and probbly would've been better standing out on it's own.

rxfiend
09-11-2005, 04:26 AM
Which ones are available on DVD?

Howling IV - Yes, import

Howling IV has a domestic release. You can find it at various stores for about $6. I posted scans of the case on a thread about a year or so ago.

KR~!
09-11-2005, 05:06 AM
Howling IV has a domestic release. You can find it at various stores for about $6. I posted scans of the case on a thread about a year or so ago.

Amazon has it. The idea behind the movie was that it was a faithful translation of the original Novel that the 1st Howling was based on, since the Howling changed a lot things from the book. Still, they have a lot in common, and it seem kind of pointless. Nevertheless, if you must have it on DVD, it was released in the US, and here are some details:

Release Information:
• Studio: Platinum Disc Corp
• DVD Release Date: April 20, 2004
• Run Time: 94 minutes

Edition Details:
• Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. This DVD will probably NOT be viewable in other countries.)
• Color
• ASIN: B00023BM4S

Blayton
09-13-2005, 12:18 AM
IV was my pick Damn New Moon rising got 3 votes. Its a sad day

Damed
09-13-2005, 02:04 AM
I have yet to see any of the sequels

Franco
09-15-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm a big fan of Howling III: The Marsupials.
http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&id=103
Werewolf disguised nuns, you can't beat that. :-)

I'm with you, MartinD1! Part 3 was funny as hell! :lol:
(Plus I love the song at the end credits...)

I've seen 1, 2, 3 and 4. I found part 4 a little boring but the others were great; different styles though.

maskull
09-16-2005, 05:35 PM
I honestly haven't seen any of the Howling sequels for years now, but I remember that I really enjoyed Part 5. Now I'm planning on renting (perhaps buying) them all soon so I'll be able to make a more informed decision then, but for now I'm voting for 5.

Chad
09-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Part 5. The castle was a really cool setting.

jsonthegreat
08-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Part 5 was my pick... the mystery plot of the film I think worked really well.

part 3 and 2 get honorable mentions tho... they were both kind of fun as well. Part 2 was terrible... but you KNOW they had a blast making that movie and it looks like the director (or at least the editor) knew the movie was a piece of crap.... Why else do you think they had the shot of Sybil Danning ripping her bodice off exposing her breasts 17 times!

othervoice1
08-10-2006, 02:20 AM
New Moon Rising is one of the worse films ever made- i will have to give part V my nod

Dusk
08-15-2006, 10:21 AM
NEW MOON RISING is my favorite. I love the way it links up the previous sequels, and the cowboy humor is right up my alley. 'Cause I'm a hick.

There's dirt in the chilli Ted!

George Jones? Who's George Jones?

Tye
08-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Howling 5: The Rebirth

shape22
08-24-2011, 11:27 PM
For Comcast customers who are interested in seeing Part 2 uncut and in hi-def widescreen it's currently in the free movies section of on demand. It looks surprisingly amazing.

I really enjoyed this one--probably for the Naschy-like vibe. The juxtaposition of Christopher Lee's classy presence with a production this cheesy also has undeniable entertainment value. Whenever Lee appears it feels like he just wandered in from a different movie.

If you haven't seen it before, be sure to stay through the end credits for a hilarious montage that repeatedly shows the same shot of Sybil Danning exposing her impressive melons.

Zombie Dude
08-25-2011, 02:10 AM
For Comcast customers who are interested in seeing Part 2 uncut and in hi-def widescreen it's currently in the free movies section of on demand. It looks surprisingly amazing.

I really enjoyed this one--probably for the Naschy-like vibe. The juxtaposition of Christopher Lee's classy presence with a production this cheesy also has undeniable entertainment value. Whenever Lee appears it feels like he just wandered in from a different movie.

If you haven't seen it before, be sure to stay through the end credits for a hilarious montage that repeatedly shows the same shot of Sybil Danning exposing her impressive melons.

On demand where?

LOVE that montage at the end btw. Main reason I picked up the dvd.:lol:

shape22
08-25-2011, 02:29 AM
On demand where?

LOVE that montage at the end btw. Main reason I picked up the dvd.:lol:

I believe the navigation sequence is: free movies and then HD movies. That montage is truly hilarious.

Zombie Dude
08-25-2011, 02:34 AM
I believe the navigation sequence is: free movies and then HD movies. That montage is truly hilarious.

What's the site though? I couldn't find it :(

That montage is genius! :lol:

shape22
08-25-2011, 02:46 AM
On Demand is a feature you get with Comcast cable TV. If you don't have Comcast cable you're out of luck.

Zombie Dude
08-25-2011, 02:54 AM
On Demand is a feature you get with Comcast cable TV. If you don't have Comcast cable you're out of luck.

Looks like I'm out of luck :cry:

Demoni
08-25-2011, 06:13 AM
I have yet to see any of the sequels

:eek:

JGrendel
08-25-2011, 07:20 AM
I don't know if I should admitt this but I own all the Howling sequels on vhs, dvd or blu-ray. But my two favorites are still part IV & V.

Stige
08-25-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't know if I should admitt this but I own all the Howling sequels on vhs, dvd or blu-ray. But my two favorites are still part IV & V.

you're not alone so don't fear

Demoni
08-25-2011, 06:39 PM

you're not alone so don't fear

Don´t you guys worry... I have all of them on DVD...

I watch the first one on TV in the late 80s and the first vhs rental of the Howling series was Howling IV... it has great nostalgia on me... I can watch Howling IV every time.

I kinda liked the trailer for the new Howling!!!

JGrendel
08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Don´t you guys worry... I have all of them on DVD...

I watch the first one on TV in the late 80s and the first vhs rental of the Howling series was Howling IV... it has great nostalgia on me... I can watch Howling IV every time.

I kinda liked the trailer for the new Howling!!!

The first horror movies I ever saw were Friday The 13th Part 1 & 2 & the original Howling. So they have special meaning for me. I saw them at my aunt 's place on these cartridges the size of laserdiscs. Does anyone remember those?

rxfiend
08-25-2011, 11:59 PM
The first horror movies I ever saw were Friday The 13th Part 1 & 2 & the original Howling. So they have special meaning for me. I saw them at my aunt 's place on these cartridges the size of laserdiscs. Does anyone remember those?

You referring to RCA CED video discs? I have a few of them. Here's my Friday the 13th 2 disc: http://216.69.143.179/rca/friday13th-2-RCA.jpg

JGrendel
08-26-2011, 07:54 AM
You referring to RCA CED video discs? I have a few of them. Here's my Friday the 13th 2 disc: http://216.69.143.179/rca/friday13th-2-RCA.jpg

There's a sight for sore eyes.

mclay18
08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Howling 2. It's so absurd, so stupid but it's just engrossing all the same. It's the Plan 9 of the Howling sequels.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-18-2011, 05:52 PM
I've only seen The Howling III: The Marsupials as of now but I've always liked that movie quite a bit. It's disgusting as hell but it's surprisingly smart, well shot, full of heart, and... yeah, funny. I liked the characters and cared about what might happen to them, I thought the story was interesting, the music was fun, and it had a great sense of humor.

I did see Your Sister is a Werewolf and The Original Nightmare being parodied on Thatguywiththeglasses.com and that left me never wanting to see Part 2 (the best of it looked like a cross between Wolfen and Vamp, both of which this thing couldn't hope to beat in its' wildest dreams) and wanting to see Part 4 BAD. I'm going to blind-buy the DVD soon as I have a few bucks and since it's so cheap.

JGrendel
09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I found a region free copy of Howling: New Moon Rising on ebay & bought it replacing my old vhs version. (ducks & covers)

fattyjoe37
08-27-2013, 04:57 AM
Looks like the poll is now locked, but I would vote for Howling V: The Rebirth. That and VI: The Freaks are the only sequels I would recommend watching. The rest (except for the classic original) make up possibly the worst horror franchise I've ever seen. And I've watched all 9 Children of the Corns.

Vance Vandy
08-27-2013, 06:02 AM
With the exception of III, I'm a fan of all the sequels (even New Moon Rising as a bizarre curiosity), but my favorite would have to be IV.

Zombie Dude
08-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Part 3 has grown on me a great deal. I used to hate it but now find it a fun and wacky little Aussie flick.

rhett
08-27-2013, 08:21 AM
With the exception of III, I'm a fan of all the sequels (even New Moon Rising as a bizarre curiosity), but my favorite would have to be IV.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa....really? I like to think I'm one of the film's defenders, but even I couldn't place it above pretty much any of the films in the series other than New Moon Rising. I like John Hough and I think the movie has its moments, but there is no forgiving a film called The Howling that doesn't feature a werewolf until, what, 5 minutes left in the run-time? It's absurd. Slow burn is an understatement for that one. I did really like the theme from the Moody Blues guy, though. But you really have to sell me on your logic here to make that quote above fly!

DVD-fanatic-9
09-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Actually, we got a shot of a wolf when the woman's husband was bitten. And the idea was good, you have to admit. I mean, in the hands of a director who was paying attention. Hough wasn't trying very hard with the film. The budget was probably to blame too- the movie's more than tolerable based on performances but there's nothing interesting to look at. It's cheap, which is fine. But it's bland. How effective is it trying to make an ultra-lowkey movie dreamlike? (If only this could have borrowed the better moments from The Church's score.)

Anyway, Marsupials still has the most energy, likable characters, and several fun moments. Especially everything to do with Jiboa(??)'s stint as a world-famous scream queen (even though it doesn't make any sense). After seeing Part V, which is shockingly weaker than IV, I'm now even more etch-in-stone convinced III has to be the best sequel.

Fistfuck
09-10-2013, 02:24 AM
Anyone who said 7 is just being an asshole!

Zombie Dude
09-10-2013, 02:28 AM
I agree The Marsupials needs more love. Part 5 I thought was decent enough when I saw it but that was a long time ago.
I saw New Moon arising the other day (well, I kept flicking back and forth while I was on the computer) and it was absolutely terrible. It's easily the worst sequel. It drags, is horribly acted and just bland. Plus I've seen better effects (not that this really has any effects at all) in student films. What a disgrace.

Drinkinstein
09-10-2013, 02:38 AM
Who voted for New Moon Rising?!? That's not funny. Not one bit. That thing is a blight on all who've seen it an can never be unseen... :fuck:

Shlockjock81
09-10-2013, 04:45 AM
I'm going with part 2. Love that song "Howling" by Babel, and seeing Sybil Danning tear her top off 18 times in the ending credits (to the beat, no less!) seals the deal for me.

Awesomely terrible film.

dave13
09-10-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm going with part 2. Love that song "Howling" by Babel

yeah, that song is great. I've tried to find a copy of it, but with no success. I finally resorted to recording the audio from a clip of the film on youtube, just so I can have it on my ipod. the quality is garbage, obviously. still looking for a soundtrack or mp3...

and seeing Sybil Danning tear her top off 18 times in the ending credits (to the beat, no less!) seals the deal for me.

hey, wait a minute :confused:
aren't you...y'know....:gay:? (I've always wanted to find an inoffensive way to use that smiley)

DVD-fanatic-9
09-11-2013, 07:17 AM
aren't you...y'know....:gay:?
That would explain a lot.

Shlockjock81
09-11-2013, 10:34 AM
yeah, that song is great. I've tried to find a copy of it, but with no success. I finally resorted to recording the audio from a clip of the film on youtube, just so I can have it on my ipod. the quality is garbage, obviously. still looking for a soundtrack or mp3...

aren't you...y'know....:gay:? (I've always wanted to find an inoffensive way to use that smiley)

Cinemageddon has the soundtrack in decent quality (the actual album, not a recording from the film). I got it from there.

And yeah, I am, but I still get a kick out of boobie-cheese.

Zombie Dude
09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
And yeah, I am, but I still get a kick out of boobie-cheese.

Who wouldn't? :D:glasses:

Hellbilly
09-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm more easily entertained by the cheese of part 7. While part 3 might "burst" with offbeat ideas and energy it is to me incredibly dull and unappealing. No matter how often I watch part 3, I just can't never get into it.

Voted for part 2.

Zombie Dude
09-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm more easily entertained by the cheese of part 7. While part 3 might "burst" with offbeat ideas and energy it is to me incredibly dull and unappealing. No matter how often I watch part 3, I just can't never get into it.

Voted for part 2.

How is it possible to like part 7 and not part 3? Part 7 is void of anything remotely entertaining and has to use footage from the previous sequels as padding during a few of its scenes. The sad part is that they are the only interesting bits so why bother with the film at all?

Part 3 at least has some culture, whacky scenes and a mildly interesting plot. It's not a good film by any means but I've grown love enjoy it and it's good for a laugh...part 7 on the other hand isn't good for anything.

DVD-fanatic-9
09-11-2013, 01:49 PM
I think "offbeat" has lost all its meaning by now. I don't really think there's anything that offbeat about The Marsupials that wasn't offbeat about 1986-1988 in general.

But it's definitely almost good. That much is certain. If they'd cut a little fat off the edges. I mean, they could re-edit it now and make it better.

baggio
09-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Howling V: The Rebirth is a pretty decent film. The trailer is kinda weird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPBePSNzYxo

DVD-fanatic-9
12-09-2013, 08:13 AM
It's extremely forgettable. I wish I could remember more- other than the fact that there is such a huge cast of characters getting killed off and the teasing, repetitive deaths never stop or progress to anything inventive or satisfying. You have to be thinking up another movie in your head while it plays to get anything out of it. The atmosphere becomes entirely familiar and then loses its charm within the first 30 minutes. There's a whole hour of leftover garbage to wade through. The only interesting character is the 2nd or 3rd to die. There's no decent humor. No surprises at all. Logical inconsistencies and stupid character decisions abound. It's not even close to being scary. The music only does anything during the credits (great theme! for the last 3 minutes). There's nothing to think about, to feel, to respond to in any way. It's a numb film. And, frankly, in the 3rd that makes you stick around for the other 2, there's also a homophobic gag with the ponytailed character at the bar. Classy.

Hellbilly
12-11-2013, 10:20 AM
How is it possible to like part 7 and not part 3? Part 7 is void of anything remotely entertaining and has to use footage from the previous sequels as padding during a few of its scenes. The sad part is that they are the only interesting bits so why bother with the film at all?

Part 3 at least has some culture, whacky scenes and a mildly interesting plot. It's not a good film by any means but I've grown love enjoy it and it's good for a laugh...part 7 on the other hand isn't good for anything.

Well, to me New Moon Rising was more amusing because I personally got a kick out of the location, locals, their laid back down to earth attitude ("this might be the smartest or dumbest thing I ever did"), the hillbilly-ish country & western lifestyle. Little things like old folk clicking spoons during a live performance ("Stand Up!" song was an instant fave lol). There's definitely some sort of culture at display here as well.

To me part 3 was a stylized, throbbing, in-your-face annoyance. Sure its original but the way it was done caused a total energy drain, because it was incredibly dull in my opinion.

As crappy as New Moon Rising is, it got at least some heart and soul (for everything not involving werewolves lol), even if the film completely missed the point in regards of the Howling franchise.

DVD-fanatic-9
12-11-2013, 10:35 AM
To me part 3 was a stylized, throbbing, in-your-face annoyance. Sure its original but the way it was done caused a total energy drain, because it was incredibly dull in my opinion.
:(

Some of us like stylized, throbbing, and in-your-face. I mean... isn't this The Horror Genre, after all? Not that everything is the same. But, stylization made this genre great. And as for the in-your-face thing, at least it had a decent agenda- dealing with intolerance. It's not like it didn't have anything at all to say. That would be annoying.

Zombie Dude
12-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Well, to me New Moon Rising was more amusing because I personally got a kick out of the location, locals, their laid back down to earth attitude ("this might be the smartest or dumbest thing I ever did"), the hillbilly-ish country & western lifestyle. Little things like old folk clicking spoons during a live performance ("Stand Up!" song was an instant fave lol). There's definitely some sort of culture at display here as well.

As crappy as New Moon Rising is, it got at least some heart and soul (for everything not involving werewolves lol), even if the film completely missed the point in regards of the Howling franchise.
I thought New Moon Rising was just slapped together garbage. Compared to this part 3 is a masterpiece and far from dull.
:(

Some of us like stylized, throbbing, and in-your-face. I mean... isn't this The Horror Genre, after all? Not that everything is the same. But, stylization made this genre great. And as for the in-your-face thing, at least it had a decent agenda- dealing with intolerance. It's not like it didn't have anything at all to say. That would be annoying.

I actually agree with you on this.