PDA

View Full Version : Suspiria/Opera failures

thrashard76
09-26-2001, 06:26 AM
I have had problems with both Suspiria LE and Opera LE. The Opera LE wouldn't work in my PS2 or computer. It played through the opening Anchor Bay screen and then nothing. The Suspiria LE plays up to the finger nail painting scene and then "wham", it gets real pixilated. Colored blocks all over the place with a faint outline of the actual movie still in progress. The sound seemed ok though. If you try to skip scenes up or back afterwards it continues to be pixilated. The only thing I can do to remedy the situation is reboot the PS2 and then skip that one scene. Everything is fine from then on. This is just totally destroys the time I plan on spending watching the movie because it's always the same problem.
Does anyone know if Anchor Bay will recall the Suspiria LE movie disks? They should because there are more people than just me upset at this outrageous disaster. I own lots of non-problematic Anchor Bay movies but Suspiria and Opera are the first ones in which I am truly disgusted with the final product. Some kind of action must be made. For those who have a clean copy, Congrats!

The Chaostar
09-26-2001, 01:25 PM
SUSPIRIA does not play on a computer or on PLAYSTATION2.
It needs a DVD player. Then it will play great.
OPERA though won"t....

domper9
09-26-2001, 11:27 PM
So that means that I won't be able to watch my Suspiria disc when it arrives. I only have a DVD ROM drive.

This morning I was hoping it would arrive soon, now I'm hoping it won't.

I wonder if the regular Suspiria edition carries the same protection. I'm guessing here that Anchor Bay is shielding the extra's on the LE from copying. But the copying of the extra's would only occur because of the limited availability that AB has created themselves by not including them on both editions. Bastards. Or it's worse and they're out to do this all the time from now on...

I take this pretty seriously. Especially since AB kept this a complete secret. It's a test case. Record companies have been silently introducing this brainless copy protection scheme too. The idea is, I bet, to make us pay for content twice. The most worrysome thing about it is that consumer rights are being taking away from under our noses, but not through a political process. We still have those rights, but the only technology that the industry will put on the market, prevents us from EXERCISING them. Well, that's a neat way to change the law. Very democratic.

IMHO, the industry is still trying to figure out with how much exactly it'll get away with. I think it's up to us to see that it's with as little as possible. I mean damn, how dare they? I want to watch DVD's on the pc, goddamned!

Does anyone here know some email adresses that lead to AB? Their site is far from helpfull. Better yet, this is the kind of thing that screams for an e-mail campaign!

Opinions?

PS: this guy explains it well:
http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html

Andrew
09-27-2001, 02:51 AM
Yeah, buy a DVD player :D. Seriously, if you're gonna be a serious collector (or even just a casual viewer), you need a DVD player.

Opera, however, really sucks for all y'all. But mine worked fine :D.

thrashard76
09-27-2001, 06:00 AM
If I or anyone else are having LE DVD problems then I think AB should at least replace their disk(s) free. I paid for the movie once, and the company should make it their responsibility to comply. Paying this much $$$ for the LE movies is money enough, but telling people to try picking up new DVD players to play disks on is uncalled for. I am asking Anchor Bay to replace / recall any recent DVD disks that are known to be defective (Suspiria / Opera...etc.).

skinnypuppy6
09-27-2001, 06:16 AM
dude they are replacing them

Jason25
09-27-2001, 07:59 AM
They are replacing the defective Opera discs, glad mine plays fine though, just go to AB's website

As for Suspiria, I haven't heard of any wide spread problems with it. Mine plays fine.

thrashard76
09-27-2001, 08:08 AM
I have pixilation on the fingernail painting scene and if I skip forwards or backwards the pixilation continues. The only thing that works is skipping that scene. It palys fine there after. This is a BIG inconvience and an open door recall for Suspiria disk should be had.

Jason25
09-27-2001, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by thrashard76
I have pixilation on the fingernail painting scene and if I skip forwards or backwards the pixilation continues. The only thing that works is skipping that scene. It palys fine there after. This is a BIG inconvience and an open door recall for Suspiria disk should be had.

I see you mention you have a PS2 and a DVD Rom, does the Suspiria disc do this on both players?
I see you mention Opera did not work in either, but is this the case with Suspiria also?

thrashard76
09-27-2001, 08:31 AM
The Opera DVD doesn't work after the intro AB screen on either PS2 or PC. The Suspiria DVD works but at one pont in the movie it gets all blocky. Colored blocks fill the screen with a faint sillouette of the movie in progress. The sound is fine. This happens in both PS2 and PC. I have never had any problems with DVD's before or with AB stuff for that matter. I don't understand why this crazy stuff is happening. I have heard over the net on various board posts that others are having similar problems. Not as numerous as Opera but problems just the same. I am not going to buy a new DVD player for a messed up DVD movie when it might not play in it and I already have 2 DVD players.

domper9
09-27-2001, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by AndrewBBD
Yeah, buy a DVD player :D. Seriously, if you're gonna be a serious collector (or even just a casual viewer), you need a DVD player.

Yeah of course, and I'm getting around to it. Still, companies should not be allowed to take away the option of watching/listening on the pc. For me, it's an essential part of enjoying a DVD for two reasons:

1. Watching extra's or commentaries for a while is fun when taking a break behind the pc.

2. I have a SBLive! soundcard and I can sometimes borrow a video projector from work. I also have a big, white wall in the house... you get the picture? :cool:

d9

Andrew
09-28-2001, 03:53 AM
Haha, yeah, I got ya, but DVDs are being made to work on DVD players. The PS2 is just lucky it plays some discs. As for the comp, that's cool, and sorry it's screwin' up.

killit
09-29-2001, 10:04 PM
Same problems with Suspiria on my ps2 however I can't tell you when it happened as I left them room to wash dishes, and returned to pixelation hell. Suspiria played on my dvd rom but I only watched 10 minutes. I gotta tell you all that on my panasonic suspiria plays but
I do notice pixel blocks in the back ground, and the blood is very orange compared to my laserdisc which the blood is blood red.

domper9
10-05-2001, 01:56 AM
Well it turned out all right for me... Suspiria LE arrived today and it plays perfectly, also past the fingernail scene. *sigh of release*

I have an Acer 16/40x DVD. Since I flashed it to be regionfree it's recognized as a Pioneer, which means Acer just wrapped their logo and firmware around a Pioneer DVD ROM.

I'm gonna remember that name.

d9

keith70
10-05-2001, 02:21 AM
You left the room to wash dishes? Doesn't your player have a pause button? Why put on a dvd and then leave the room? That's not the best way to experience Suspiria or any other movie.

skinnypuppy6
10-05-2001, 03:16 AM
you know what is fucked up?? my opera plays perfect on my psx2 go figure anchor bay has put out one FUCKED UP disc

killit
10-06-2001, 03:49 AM
Yeah, I left the room to wash dishes. I'd seen Suspiria at least 25 times, so I know what I missed. I left becase I was disapointed with the orangeness of the blood. I let it play because if not I would get that damn menu screen bouncing up and down and annoying me when I returned

thrashard76
10-06-2001, 07:33 AM
So has anyone heard of the Opera replacements yet? Anyone got their's yet??? When is AB expected to issue these out?