PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of the Dead CUT on Anchorbay!!!

BigDeg187
01-13-2001, 04:19 PM
I am a very big Dawn of the Dead collector. Its been my favorite horror film for a very very long time, nearly 8 years. I have every version of Dawn of the Dead via Anchorbay. The Directors Cut DVD and VHS have a run time of 139 mins. The theatrical DVD and VHS have a run time of 128 mins. The Video Treasures/Anchorbay 1996 VHS has a run time of 126 mins. The most complete version I have ever seen is my new ELITE ENTERTAINMENT LASERDISC which has a run time of 142 mins. So my Elite LD is the best print of Dawn of the Dead in my book. The quality is also comparable to anchorbay's dvds. It has little to no grain, but white specks every now and then. ALSO the Dawn of the Dead Collectors Theatrical print via Anchorbay (VHS and DVD) have an aspect ratio of 1:66:1. But my Elite Laserdisc has an aspect ratio of 1:85:1. I have the feeling the Anchorbays print is probably not even widescreen, its probably just a matted version of the full screen version.

------------------
Wanna see something really scary? Vistit http://www.SavageCinema.com

ArrowBeach
01-13-2001, 04:26 PM
Ah but you cant bash Anchor Bay! LOL! I actuallyliek the big 99.99 LD set, real cool! Again, I just dont know how Elite has gone down the gutter when they wer eon top just 4 years ago. ): http://www.horrordvds.com/forum/frown.gif

Argento Fan 2003
01-13-2001, 04:36 PM
When are these companies going to realize they're not going to successfully scam us? LOL. Anchor Bay is so scandalous.

BigDeg187
01-13-2001, 07:17 PM
I didn't time them, lol. The run times are written on the boxes. Plus I noticed some scenes that I've never seen before in my Elite version. Like more profanity in the opening scene at the news station.

------------------

hojimoji
01-13-2001, 08:03 PM
I just remember a discussion of Bad Taste a while back where the boxes, and I believe IMDb, were wrong about the running time.

But, if you noticed new scenes, it's a moot point.

G.

BigDeg187
01-13-2001, 08:56 PM
Yeah, I've noticed several new scenes, most of them are around 3-10 seconds in length. Like extra scenes with zombies etc. In all of the anchorbay prints there is not 5 second shot of a zombie munching on peters leg...after he bit it, and the gets shot in the head. And in the begining I noticed alot more scenes of them at the news stations. Like maybe 5 10-20 second long cuts included, several of them with the word "Fuck" included. The black dude in the begining says "Get that fucking idiot off the air" Did he say that on the anchorbay prints? I can't remember, it just sounded different, maybe the audio is clearer on the LD, i'll check out a few scenes on my anchorbay cut tonight.

------------------

Reefer
01-13-2001, 10:57 PM
The best version I have seen of this film is the Dutch Filmworks 2-DVD set. The first DVD is the Romero cut at 139 mins (the box says 140 mins but you have to allow for running time differences) and the second DVD is the shorter Argento cut. Also included on DVD 1 is the Document of the Dead documentary.

I got hold of this version by chance and am looking to get the other 2 films in the "dead" series to complete the set.

I hope this helps.

MovieFan
01-13-2001, 11:15 PM
"Get that fucking idiot off the air" Did he say that on the anchorbay prints?

Yes.

hojimoji
01-14-2001, 05:24 AM
Did you actually time the movies? I mean is the Elite LD really 142 minutes?

G.

Paff
01-14-2001, 05:58 AM
Are you sure the extra 2 minutes isn't just the side flips and disc change? (that was a joke by the way).

There's just so many cuts of Dawn of the Dead, I don't know if there will ever be a "definitive cut". I've never seen either Anchor Bay DVD though. I have the Director's Cut, but as all the stories go, it would better if it was termed a "rough cut". And the DC does get a little long in the tooth sometimes. I don't even know if I'm making a point, just making some general statements.

My Dawn copy is the very one we're talking about, the Elite CLV laserdisc. It's a very nicely done transfer, that's for damn sure.

And Arrow Beach, you ain't kidding when you say Elite went down Sh!t's Creek. Their Laserdisc catalog is practically a top-ten horror list: Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Living Dead Trilogy, Evil Dead 1 & 2, Re-Animator, Nightmare on Elm Street. And like I said in another post, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with those Laserdiscs over the DVDs any time. What do we get from Elite now? The Screaming Skull? Please. I know Vini Bancalari and Don May got divorced, but since Anchor Bay jumped in and picked up the ball, neither of them (Elite or Synapse) will have the respect of being THE source for Horror on disc format. Bummer.

BigDeg187
01-14-2001, 06:15 AM
Why did Don May leave Elite Entertainment any ways? If he would never of left I think we would still be seeing LD today and less of DVD. But I'm glad he left, becuase if he didn't I wouldn't be a LD and DVD fan. Their may be no Anchorbay today if it wasn't for Elite going to the shitter.

------------------

napalm68
01-14-2001, 10:19 AM
Reefer - you have to also take into account the 5% PAL speed up of the Dutch copy. at 24 fps, I wonder what the running time of it would be.

Paff - I know what you mean about Elite. Even less than two years ago, Anchor Bay was the poor cousin when they both released The Evil Dead. It's like Elite have just given up. And Anchor Bay has picked up the ball and run...

------------------
Oh no, mother! Blood!

ArrowBeach
01-14-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by BigDeg187:
But I'm glad he left, becuase if he didn't I wouldn't be a LD and DVD fan. Their may be no Anchorbay today if it wasn't for Elite going to the shitter.

Actually Anchor Bay would still be around. They were once Video treasure, so even without the Elite stuff, they would have released the (non Corman) new world and Disney and Universal stuff. So even if Elite is still number one and releasing BEYOND or SUSPRIRIA or EVIL DEAD or MANHUNTER or MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE, Anchor Bay would be releasing HELLRAISERS and CHUDS and BLACK HOLE and REPOMAN.

But it would be nice to know how Elite would have handled the Tins!

Reefer
01-14-2001, 06:04 PM
To Napalm68:

Yes, you are correct with the running time difference, but I am in the UK, so this being a PAL release means that the running time is pretty accurate. I doubt it is 140 mins though, like the box says.

It would be nice if there was a leading authority on this film that could put everybody's minds at ease.

Reefer
01-14-2001, 06:04 PM
To Napalm68:

Yes, you are correct with the running time difference, but I am in the UK, so this being a PAL release means that the running time is pretty accurate. I doubt it is 140 mins though, like the box says.

It would be nice if there was a leading authority on this film that could put everybody's minds at ease.