PDA

View Full Version : Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dave
09-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Relive the cinema’s most terrifying transformations when a scientific experiment goes horribly wrong in THE FLY COLLECTOR’S EDITION and THE FLY II COLLECTOR’S EDITION landing on DVD October 4th from Fox Home Entertainment. Fully restored to their gory glory, both films come alive as Collector Edition two-disc sets featuring ear dropping, never-before-seen bonus materials, including audio commentaries, deleted scenes, storyboard and concept art galleries, featurettes investigating the history of the films and the stages of the films’ production, theatrical teasers and trailers, and an exploration of the various written materials that served as the films’ inspiration. THE FLY COLLECTOR’S EDITION and THE FLY II COLLECTOR’S EDITION two-disc DVD sets will be available for the suggested retail price of $19.98 U.S./$25.98 Canada.

DVD Special Features:
THE FLY COLLECTOR’S EDITION two-disc DVD set features a restored version of the film in widescreen (1.85:1) with English DTS 5.1 and Dolby Surround 5.1, as well as Spanish Mono and French Stereo. The DVD is fully loaded with bonus features including:
Commentary by director David Cronenberg
“Fear of the Flesh: The Making of The Fly” featurette
“The Fly Papers: The Buzz On Hollywood’s Scariest Insect” featurette
The Brundle Museum of Natural History
Written Works
George Langelaan’s original story
Charles Edward Pogue’s original screenplay
David Cronenberg’s rewrite
Interactive Cineflex article, “The Fly Papers”
Interactive American Cinematographer article, “New Buzz on an Old Theme”
Interactive American Cinematographer article, “More About The Fly”
Four deleted scenes
Promotional Materials including trailers, television spots and materials from the original EPK
Still Gallery featuring concept art, storyboards, set design and VFX
Easter egg

THE FLY II COLLECTOR’S EDITION two-disc DVD set features a restored version of the film in widescreen (1.85:1) with English DTS and Dolby 5.1, as well as Spanish and French Dolby Surround. The DVD is fully loaded with bonus features including:
Commentary by director Chris Walas, plus writers and members of the cast and crew
“Larval Stage: Development & Pre-Production” featurette
“Pupa Stage: Production” featurette
“Adult Stage: Post-Production & Release” featurette
Video Production Journal with commentary
Storyboard-to-film comparisons with optional commentary
Still Galleries featuring concept art, storyboards, and production photos
Trailers and television spots

RyanPC
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm excited for this like you wouldn't believe. I adore The Fly and think it's one of Cronenberg's best films. Thank you, Fox!! :banana:

dwatts
09-23-2005, 12:23 PM
I thought I read somewhere that this was the same transfer...... So it's really for the extras. A commentary from Cronenberg is nice when the price is right.

MrVess
09-23-2005, 01:33 PM
I see the horrible M$ Paint covers announced a month ago still haven't been changed to normal ones...

Nos4ah2
09-23-2005, 08:33 PM
I thought I read somewhere that this was the same transfer...... So it's really for the extras. A commentary from Cronenberg is nice when the price is right.

Cronenberg won't work on a disk unless he has full approval of the transfer.
So either he liked what they had, or it's a new one.
Cronenberg commentary is worth a BIG price as far as I'm concerned!!!

:banana:

betterdan
09-23-2005, 09:54 PM
If the transfer is the same I think I will stick with the earlier release.

bigdaddyhorse
09-24-2005, 12:39 AM
I'm all over this, new transfer or not. Extras sound nice and tasty! :)

fceurich39
09-24-2005, 02:42 AM
will be getting part one and i will just keep my vhs of part 2

Hellbilly
09-24-2005, 04:19 AM
Cronenberg won't work on a disk unless he has full approval of the transfer.
So either he liked what they had, or it's a new one.

Yup, I read that interview with Cronenberg. He said he didn't like the transfer of the first release, so I'm pretty sure this one has a new transfer since he did commentary and stuff. Picking those two up for sure :)

X-human
09-24-2005, 05:01 AM
The DVD's producer David Prior said this some time ago over at Home Theater Forum:As I suspected, neither Cronenberg nor Mark Irwin had seen the new HD transfer Fox had done for the previous DVD release. Cronenberg's completely justified objections to the transfer were aimed at the earlier VHS releases. Screenings were set up for both of them and they both approved the current transfer with no changes, so that's what will be on our Special Edition.Good enough for me, but then I don't own the current release so I will be picking these up in a heart beat.

betterdan
09-24-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks X-Human. No sale for me then.

thrashard76
09-24-2005, 07:31 AM
Hmm, needs more sugar.

Yeah, they will be mine...especially the first one.

maskull
09-24-2005, 03:01 PM
I think the first movie was an amazing flick, but I will never buy it because I just won't watch it. For some strange reason, this movie really upsets me when I watch it. Maybe it's just that I don't like movies where I feel sorry for the "monster", I don't know. It just affected me in a way that I know I can't watch it again.

zuvembie
09-24-2005, 07:03 PM
Your results may vary, but I picked this up at BJ's Wholesale Warehouse on Tuesday and watched it last night. I haven't seen the previous DVD (though I've owned it for some time), but the transfer was nice, yet not pristine. There were the occassional "specks" in the image, but I was pleased overall. I picked it up for the bonus content and the commentary. The only thing I can add is that the menus are animated (a fly buzzing and landing on your TV screen) and the bonus disc menu opens with the medicine cabinet full of body parts.

As you can see, I'm slow in absorbing these "special editions" and have no business doing online reviews of DVDs. Still, it as been a while since I've seen it and I was glad to see that it's aged well.

Wizejoker
09-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I saw both of these today at Wal-Mart for $13.88. Since I had never seen either one, I held out on buying them. But I just thought I would mention it just in case anyone was dying to have a copy early.

Katatonia
09-25-2005, 11:38 AM
I saw both of these today at Wal-Mart for $13.88. Since I had never seen either one, I held out on buying them. But I just thought I would mention it just in case anyone was dying to have a copy early.

I saw it at Walmart yesterday as well, they had quite a few copies out. They're really not movies that I'm dying to own though. ;)

VideoViolence
09-26-2005, 06:49 AM
I'll be putting these on my xmas list for sure, if I don't get them beforehand.

indiephantom
09-28-2005, 02:42 AM
just picked them both up...probably watch 2 first, since I haven't seen it in forever.

fceurich39
09-29-2005, 12:40 AM
wow i may have to check my walmart but am not holding my breath though

fceurich39
09-29-2005, 02:54 AM
i went to walmart and saw both part 1 and 2 for 13.72 each picked up part one very cool

Nos4ah2
09-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Walmart in Orlando FL had both out already.
Around $13.
Takes a bit of digging through to find one where the slipcover wasn't beat to hell though!

evildeadfan123
09-30-2005, 03:58 AM
Just picked up The Fly at Wal-Mart about 4 hours ago. I purchased The Fly and put The Fly 2 on Layaway for Christmas. There was only 1 copy of The Fly. Thank you Wal-Mart for putting it out early.

fceurich39
09-30-2005, 11:36 PM
I Gave In And Bought Part 2 The Extras For Both Films Are Really Great

zuvembie
10-01-2005, 12:51 AM
In the DVDTalk.com: DVD Bargains forum, they're showing a "2 for $20" sale that includes The Fly and The Fly 2 at Best Buy coming in their Sunday ad this weekend. Here's the whole list from the post:

7 Seconds
A Man Apart
Alien vs Predator
Anacondas
Assault On Precinct 13 (Remake)
Bad Boys
Bad Boys 2
Blade 2
Catwoman
Cookout
Dodgeball
Don't Be A Menace
Equilibrium
Gangs Of New York
Gladiator (Cuba Gooding Jr)
Hero
I, Robot
Jackie Brown
King Of New York
Punisher
Scarface
Scary Movie 3.5
Sling Blade
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
The Color Purple
The Fly
The Fly 2
Tomb Raider
Tombstone
Top Gun

I can finally get that copy of Catwoman I've always wanted!

thrashard76
10-01-2005, 07:22 AM
The reason why Walmarts put the DVDs of Fly an Fly 2 up on the shelves is because they were sent as part of the new DVD mod change for most stores but the boxes they were in weren't labeled as a new release and marked as an October 4th release. My store had them out early too, I put them up myself. Almost bought The Fly and Willard tonight.

RyanPC
10-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Bought The Fly on Saturday at Wal-Mart and have to say this has got to be one of the best DVD releases of the year by far. The documentary, which is much longer than the movie itself, really goes in-depth into the making of the film, and Cronenberg's commentary is fun and interesting, as expected. I couldn't believe how many great extras they packed onto this set; it was fascinating to go through all the deleted scenes, particularly the monkey-cat sequence (which I thought was creepy and effective on its own, but wouldn't really fit into the movie well at all). All in all, an amazing release that every fan of the film should own!

I was very tempted to pick up The Fly 2 as well, but while I liked that film, there are so many better ones that I need to buy first.

Katatonia
10-03-2005, 05:36 AM
Best Buy has it this week for $10, if you buy another DVD from a list in their flyer. The original Fly/Fly II DVD is one of the choices.

tobaccoman
10-03-2005, 01:42 PM
I checked Wal-Mart this morning, but no dice. Oh well, I'll have to wait for two more weeks now though since I just spent my whole paycheck. Of course it was pretty weak since I was just on vacation.

Mark Relford
10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Dan, you're missing out! :p These special editions are worth it.
I hated the alternate butterfly baby ending. Can you guys imagine that being in the final cut? I would've lost some respect for Cronenberg.

betterdan
10-04-2005, 08:47 PM
Extras are good Mark but a newer and better video transfer is what would push me over the edge.

bigdaddyhorse
10-05-2005, 04:10 AM
Best Buy has it this week for $10, if you buy another DVD from a list in their flyer. The original Fly/Fly II DVD is one of the choices.

The Best Buy here had it for $9.99, with or without another dvd for $20. In fact, all the 2 for 20 titles were marked $9.99 OR 2 for 20. I grabbed Don't Be A Menace since it was the new disc & I've been waiting for it.
Also Man With The Screaming Brain was $9.99 (normal price it looked like), although the ad in the Sunday paper said $11 or 12.99. Didn't see any Reward Zone Members Only prices, so BB is back off the shit list this week. :)

Cujo108
10-05-2005, 07:03 AM
I hated the alternate butterfly baby ending. Can you guys imagine that being in the final cut? I would've lost some respect for Cronenberg.

Haha, I actually thought that was a rather interesting ending myself. The ending we got is infinitely better though, no doubt.

Grim
10-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the white amaray cover is better than the black slip case? I personally tossed the black case to the side once I got home.

bigdaddyhorse
10-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Just got done watching most of the extra disc.
Kudos to Fox, that is one of the finest docs I've ever seen.

Also glad they kept the butterfly baby ending (any form of it) out, but it was cool and interesting to see. Probably the same with monkey-cat, but that is just an awesome deleted sequence.