PDA

View Full Version : Potentially Cool Idea!!

indiephantom
02-06-2001, 12:04 AM
I was inspired recently reading Film Comment magazine and Cinemascope magazine's best of the 90's film lists.

I recall Premiere Magazine doing the same thing at the end of the 80's. Basically, a bunch of film critics, directors, and festival programmers submit their 10 best films in order. The top film on each person's list is scored ten points, 2nd film receives 9 points and so on...

Then the scores from all the lists are combined. For example, if GOODFELLAS appeared as the number 1 choice on seven out of ten lists it scored 70 points. If it was number 6 on another list, that would bring it's total to 74 points.

This makes it very interesting and quite accurate because the range of films can be more broad, and the true favorites will emerge.

I propose that between now, and say the first week or so of March, everyone submits three lists of ten horror films. One for the 70's, 80's and one for the 90's. All horror genre films from little-seen genre indies, to foreign, to obscure direct-to-video titles, to blockbusters and forgotten gems.

We start a thread for each respective decade (decades seem to work best as a representative of a particular period). I'm suggesting the past 3 as a good place to start. In the compilations done by Film Comment, if people submit more than 10 films, the value of all their films is reduced to one point. The same value of 1 point is given if the films are only listed alphabetically, and not in preferred order (which is fair, I think)

If anyone thinks this would be a cool thing to try, let me know. I'm totally willing to help keep score or help moderate. I've alway loved "best of" lists, and since so many knowledgeable horror buffs frequent here, I think it would be a great place to try it. :)

Many films end up being tied, but typically about 20 or so films stand at the head of the pack. It's a really cool system, which I think works very well. If any interest is sparked, or anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. If there is response, I'll start posting with one of my lists tonight. Hope this works!! :cool: Potentially Cool Idea!!

rhett
02-06-2001, 12:46 AM
Yeah, that's a neat idea, I'm all up for it. Although that means I need to re-watch a bunch of 70's horror. I am especially interested in how movies like Scream and IKWYDLS will fare for the 90's pole, given the huge array of differing reviews about these films. Great idea, I suggest given a little bit of time to go over the horror films from each decade...

Paff
02-06-2001, 01:29 AM
I don't mean to be too pessimistic, but it sure does seem like an elaborate scheme and the results will be pretty much predictable (i.e., we'll see The Exorcist, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre at the top of the list for the 70's and so on).

Hey, I won't stop anyone from doing anything they want, but how many moreTop Ten Horror lists do we need, and will they really be surprising? And by using a weighted average scheme, you'll eliminate the surprise entries, and only end up with common titles.

I could be wrong, go ahead and try it though....

indiephantom
02-06-2001, 02:01 AM
Well, Paff. I do agree that a lot of well-known films will pop up, but I think that in the other examples of this technique I've seen, usually the top 100 or so will be listed, and that means that many films may "breakthrough" and become surprise entries. At least, that's my hope.

I agree completely with Rhett's suggestion of taking more time. I also am myself very curious about how films will fare! I don't think it will be as predictable as you might think. There's a lot of horror out there. With the diversity of this club's membership, I'm sure seeing favorites from particular decaders (in order) is going to be worthwhile. I'm hoping people will stretch their imaginations and come up with some great lists.

Of course, more interest will be needed, and perhaps once the ball starts rolling, we can determine some deadline. Anyone who's interested in helping out, contact me or just leave a message in the thread.

But if everyone's too sick of these kinds of threads, then I definitely will respect the overall consensus of the membership, and not continue with it.