PDA

View Full Version : Storage query - advice reqd.

DVD Connoisseur
10-22-2005, 07:37 PM
Since purchase, my laser discs have always lived in my bedroom / living room, stored in plastic covers, etc. Most have only been viewed once.

I'm now about to embark on a decorating spree that'll last until around next April. As a result of a decluttering exercise, the LDs will no longer be allocated space in the living room so they (and my vinyl collection) will have to be stored elsewhere. Given that I've probably only viewed 1 LD in the last 12 months due to commitments, this isn't a hardship but I'm wondering if LDs have to be kept in a warm environment. Would fluctuating temperatures (e.g. storage in an attic) lead to a deterioration of the LDs and eventual rot?

Dave
10-23-2005, 02:53 AM
Well, I definitely would not put them in an attic, as those can heat up quite a bit. Remember that there is glue in between the platters. Glue can melt, which will essentially ruin the disc.

I've been in the LD game for several years and never had problems just leaving them in room temperature, which for me is usually between 65-90 depending on the time of year.

DVD Connoisseur
10-23-2005, 03:18 AM
Cheers, Dave. I've had the discs since new (purchased in the early '90s and they cost me a small fortune) so will definitely keep them away from the attic! I'll keep my eyes open for new record / LD size cabinets as my present furniture's black (very '80s!).

Noto
10-23-2005, 07:21 AM
If any one knows of any good shelving units for LDs/vinyl I would certainly be in the market for it myself.

Thanks,
-Noto

Matt1977
10-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Try this unit...I've got a ton of vinyl and an ever expanding Laserdisc collection...It worked well for me.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=3&productId=11499&langId=-15&parentCats=10104*10173